Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread V.6 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Yup, not hearing enough about Loov around here, he's a legit top defensive prospect for us.

I love the loov. Seriously exciting because his defensive ability and tough play were never in doubt. Of all the prospects he might have been the most of a shoe in for a 3rd pairing dman of the best kind. ... but now he is also finding offense. And his overall game improving. He is also pretty young.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good thing Burke is no longer around and that Wilson is long gone.

Had to do a search to see how we viewed Stralman when he was with us and I dont understand how management could not see what we fans saw. Now I am not saying Stralman is a franchise defenseman or anything but he is exactly the kind of player you want on your team, home grown even better.

The thread in the link is from the summer in 2009 and just before he got traded. That we also just recently shipped out Cola (had it not been for injuries he would have been top 4 today) and Steen and later on would trade Tlusty do say a lot about the quick retool model and trying to force the team in to the playoffs instead of actually developing players. And for a team who preached accountability both the GM and the coach played favourites.

I know a lot of people blame Fletcher for trading Steen and Cola and making a trade to get Grabovski but those trades where all BB through back channels. If you dont understand that, well then I can not really say anything to change your mind. Perhaps you also believes it was not Chiralleli who signed Chara and made him captain (he was after all not allowed to work for Bruins until some time after the draft and the start of the FA). Anyway, that is a bit OT and I do like some of Burkes picks to, like Percy.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=637942&highlight=stralman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A pity about biggs.

I didn't have much faith in him developing much further - but this isn't good for anything. Hoping he makes a good recovery in the offseason.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A pity about biggs.

I didn't have much faith in him developing much further - but this isn't good for anything. Hoping he makes a good recovery in the offseason.

I wanted him to get a crack at 4th line line for the last 10 games of the season to see how he looked there. That's what we hope for at this point.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Good thing Burke is no longer around and that Wilson is long gone.

Had to do a search to see how we viewed Stralman when he was with us and I dont understand how management could not see what we fans saw. Now I am not saying Stralman is a franchise defenseman or anything but he is exactly the kind of player you want on your team, home grown even better.

The thread in the link is from the summer in 2009 and just before he got traded. That we also just recently shipped out Cola (had it not been for injuries he would have been top 4 today) and Steen and later on would trade Tlusty do say a lot about the quick retool model and trying to force the team in to the playoffs instead of actually developing players. And for a team who preached accountability both the GM and the coach played favourites.

I know a lot of people blame Fletcher for trading Steen and Cola and making a trade to get Grabovski but those trades where all BB through back channels. If you dont understand that, well then I can not really say anything to change your mind. Perhaps you also believes it was not Chiralleli who signed Chara and made him captain (he was after all not allowed to work for Bruins until some time after the draft and the start of the FA). Anyway, that is a bit OT and I do like some of Burkes picks to, like Percy.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=637942&highlight=stralman

Putting aside the stralman thing (he played on two other teams before finally finding a foot in New York, sometimes it has nothing to do with a team just takes time and new situations).

How could those deals be "Burke back channel" deals? He was the GM of the Ducks until November my friend...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Putting aside the stralman thing (he played on two other teams before finally finding a foot in New York, sometimes it has nothing to do with a team just takes time and new situations).

How could those deals be "Burke back channel" deals? He was the GM of the Ducks until November my friend...

At the time it was a lot of speculation that Burke was the man calling the shots at Toronto even do he was still at Anaheim. And when it finally become official that Leafs had interest in him and they started negotiations that lasted for a week, even do I am sure they already had ironed out everything beforehand. Well during that time Leafs also had negotiations with St Louis Leafs trade two former 1st round picks in Steen 24 and Colachavio 25 to get Lee Stempniak (american winger hmmm) who played in the West. That trade happened 2 days before Burke was introduced as Leafs GM. It is only logic to assume that deal does not happen if not Burke green lights it. I mean, they could have just waited a couple of days and allowed Burke to make the trade, it was not as if it was a TDL deal or anything.

My theory is that Burke did not want to start his Leafs days with the bad PR it is to trade away two former 1st round picks who still had a lot of fans that believed in them. And his best buddy Wilson did not like either of them anyway.

If that is not the case it means Leafs negotiated with Burke and at the same time negotiated a deal that included two of the teams more promising young players and dealt them away without asking if he wanted them to make the deal or not. To me that sounds very unlikely. What if Burke had these players in his plans?

And what did Burke do when he become the GM? He traded away Stralman and Tlusty, I guess he did not think to highly of JFJ´s draft picks.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Grabovski was traded to the Leafs in July of 2008, Burke didn't step down in Anaheim until November.

Burke was patient in his first season with the Leafs making very few moves, so dumping 2 former first rounders before he even set foot in Toronto doesn't align with his other moves (or lack thereof).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Grabovski was traded to the Leafs in July of 2008, Burke didn't step down in Anaheim until November.

Burke was patient in his first season with the Leafs making very few moves, so dumping 2 former first rounders before he even set foot in Toronto doesn't align with his other moves (or lack thereof).

So you think they negotiated with Burke in one room and in the other room engineered the trade for Stempniak without him having any say in it? What if he was a good talent evaluator and saw Steen for the talented player he was that was being wasted as a bottom six checker under his new coach Wilson?

Burke green lighted that trade 100%, dont let the date next to Burkes signature on the contract fool you.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Careful Zapruder.....

LOL

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So you think they negotiated with Burke in one room and in the other room engineered the trade for Stempniak without him having any say in it? What if he was a good talent evaluator and saw Steen for the talented player he was that was being wasted as a bottom six checker under his new coach Wilson?

Burke green lighted that trade 100%, dont let the date next to Burkes signature on the contract fool you.
Fletcher has said that trade was in the works well before the Burke negotiations began and it doesn't fit with any other Burke moves that season. I expect the proposal was made before the Burke negotiations started and STL signed-off once those rumours picked up.

You also commented on the Grabovski trade being a "Burke back channel" which is nonsense.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Fletcher has said that trade was in the works well before the Burke negotiations began and it doesn't fit with any other Burke moves that season. I expect the proposal was made before the Burke negotiations started and STL signed-off once those rumours picked up.

You also commented on the Grabovski trade being a "Burke back channel" which is nonsense.

They targeted Burke the day after they fired JFJ, it was no secret. Ultimately they wanted Burke to become Leafs GM during the summer and they planned for it. It did not happen since Anaheim did not allow it. But the moves we made, Grabovski trade, picking Schenn, trading Steen and Cola, hiring Wilson was Burke moves.

Read the following articles and come back when you have and tell me you dont believe Leafs tampered with Burke and he gave his guidelines for Fletcher to follow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3411574

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2008/06/04/wilson_mulls_job_offer_can_burke_be_far_behind.html

http://newfaux.blogspot.se/2008/07/burkes-secret-destination.html

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I believe the Leafs were interested in Burke for a while. I don't believe he was pulling the strings while still employed by Anaheim (and in a GM role for part of it) or making trades before signing with the Leafs.

I remember the situation well, the links are nice, but they don't tell me anything new.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nylander and Brown at it again. We're going to hear those names called a lot in the next few years with the Leafs

mikebel111*

Nylander and Brown at it again. We're going to hear those names called a lot in the next few years with the Leafs

I cant believe someone said Conner's production would fall off a cliff. Hasnt happened yet.
Our kid combo is looking good

mikebel111*

48 points in 59 games for Brown
What an outstanding rookie season so far
He might reach 60

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Nylander really turning up his game (points wise) a lot recently!
Heard he's been playing hard and well all year tho so thats great :handclap:

Also didn't he get an assist on the first goal? So that would give him two apples tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad