Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread V.6 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
ROTY can span multiple draft classes though...

Datsyuk didn't do much till he was late 20s

The gamebreaking skill Nylander displays at 18 is grounds to be excited for the kid, especially with the skating, IQ and gonads to pull off the things he thinks up he's going to be an electrifying forward. I just feel his talent is better suited at the center of the ice especially where he can use his puck stealing and back cheking abilities combined with his speed and intelligence
I agree. If Nylander is able to produce at a point-per-game during the remainder of the season, we may even seem him brought up to the NHL next season. I'd also bring up Brown, maybe Carrick, as well and allow our other prospects to continue developing in the AHL.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I agree. If Nylander is able to produce at a point-per-game during the remainder of the season, we may even seem him brought up to the NHL next season. I'd also bring up Brown, maybe Carrick, as well and allow our other prospects to continue developing in the AHL.

Leivo will probably make it on to the big team next season. If he has a good camp.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leivo will probably make it on to the big team next season. If he has a good camp.

I think we could see Leivo, Carrick, and Percy with the NHL team next year.

I'd probably keep Brown and Nylander away from the NHL team for another year. I really hope at some point they give Nylander a shot at centre on the AHL, i've said it since he came over and just mind boggled it hasn't been attempted yet.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think we could see Leivo, Carrick, and Percy with the NHL team next year.

I'd probably keep Brown and Nylander away from the NHL team for another year. I really hope at some point they give Nylander a shot at centre on the AHL, i've said it since he came over and just mind boggled it hasn't been attempted yet.

Yeah agree. But I would not be to worried about them playing Nylander on the wing this season even do according to reports he do get to play some shifts at center. He will most likely spend his first season or two playing wing in the NHL as well to ease his transition.

Leivo, Carrick, Brown and Granberg should be regular NHL players next season. Brown and Nylander if they are lights out in camp will of course get a chance to stay in the league but best for their long term development is probably to stay in the AHL for one more season but come up when we have injuries, suspensions etc. Then, in the AHL, Nylander should of course play C.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah agree. But I would not be to worried about them playing Nylander on the wing this season even do according to reports he do get to play some shifts at center. He will most likely spend his first season or two playing wing in the NHL as well to ease his transition.

Leivo, Carrick, Brown and Granberg should be regular NHL players next season. Brown and Nylander if they are lights out in camp will of course get a chance to stay in the league but best for their long term development is probably to stay in the AHL for one more season but come up when we have injuries, suspensions etc. Then, in the AHL, Nylander should of course play C.

I think Granberg is going to get screwed over by us having Robidas and Polak. Neither can play top pairing in the NHL, so we have 2nd/3rd pairing guys there. Granberg is probably a bottom pairing guy. All 3 are right shots. I just don't see the room

Gardiner ?? (I don't think Phaneuf is back)
Rielly - Polak
Percy - Robidas

Granberg - Do we want him as the 7th? or do we rotate him in and out of the line up with Robidas? Or do we simply bump Polak up to 1st pairing, Robidas 2nd, and Granberg 3rd pairing? Ugly defense, but we'll get a good draft pick.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Granberg is going to get screwed over by us having Robidas and Polak. Neither can play top pairing in the NHL, so we have 2nd/3rd pairing guys there. Granberg is probably a bottom pairing guy. All 3 are right shots. I just don't see the room

Rielly - Polak
Percy - Robidas

Granberg - Do we want him as the 7th? or do we rotate him in and out of the line up with Robidas? Or do we simply bump Polak up to 1st pairing, Robidas 2nd, and Granberg 3rd pairing? Ugly defense, but we'll get a good draft pick.

We may not have Polak by next season though I think we are kind of stuck with Robidas.

This all comes down to management thinking we have a winning group. They figured they could just get a couple pieces and be good. It wasn't the case obviously. The leafs tend to screw drafts out of playtime by getting UFAs, always always always make this mistake.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Rielly - Polak
Percy - Robidas

Going to be a real competition for NHL spots.

I don't think Percy is a lock whatsoever, but there's no hurry, 22 is still very young for a defender.

Leafs will likely sign a depth, veteran defender and hope Rielly replaces Phaneuf's minutes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We may not have Polak by next season though I think we are kind of stuck with Robidas.

This all comes down to management thinking we have a winning group. They figured they could just get a couple pieces and be good. It wasn't the case obviously. The leafs tend to screw drafts out of playtime by getting UFAs, always always always make this mistake.

We asked for a lot from St.Louis for Polak apparently when they came calling. Apparently we see him as part of the rebuild. It will take an overpayment to get him from us apparently, will a team overpay for Polak??

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Leafs PR @LeafsPR 2m
The @MapleLeafs announced this morning that the club has recalled defenceman T.J. Brennan from the

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Shoulda kept him in the Marlies so he can help push for playoffs. This is redonk-a-donk.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Rielly - Polak
Percy - Robidas

I rather Granberg play top 4 minutes in the AHL then being a 7th d-man in the NHL. He will turn 23 at the start of next season and that is still fairly young for a defenseman, especially a defensive minded one who will have to rely on anticipation more then others.

I would not mind if Percy and Granberg played as the 3rd pairing next season. Might not be the best option to have two rookies paired together but they got chemistry and complement each other very well. And I doubt Polak plays the whole year for us, he will get traded some time during the season seeing as he is a UFA and I doubt he is part of the long term future. On the other hand he do seem to have a good attitude, and we need that as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I rather Granberg play top 4 minutes in the AHL then being a 7th d-man in the NHL. He will turn 23 at the start of next season and that is still fairly young for a defenseman, especially a defensive minded one who will have to rely on anticipation more then others.

I would not mind if Percy and Granberg played as the 3rd pairing next season. Might not be the best option to have two rookies paired together but they got chemistry and complement each other very well. And I doubt Polak plays the whole year for us, he will get traded some time during the season seeing as he is a UFA and I doubt he is part of the long term future. On the other hand he do seem to have a good attitude, and we need that as well.

He's a competitor but he strikes me as a guy who hates being on a team that is not winning.

If there was a strong offer i'd move him of course.

Percy-Granberg is fine as a pairing - a little young at 22 and 23 years old a piece, but we could get a young core going on the back end. Robidas for all the crap I give him, is a nice veteran leader and I feel like is a good guy for the locker room.

Ultimately, we can't move Robidas, and like you said, Polak is a UFA the following year and I see him wanting to go to a winning team or want a large amount of money to stay.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He's a competitor but he strikes me as a guy who hates being on a team that is not winning.

If there was a strong offer i'd move him of course.

Percy-Granberg is fine as a pairing - a little young at 22 and 23 years old a piece, but we could get a young core going on the back end. Robidas for all the crap I give him, is a nice veteran leader and I feel like is a good guy for the locker room.

Ultimately, we can't move Robidas, and like you said, Polak is a UFA the following year and I see him wanting to go to a winning team or want a large amount of money to stay.

Agreed. Robidas will probably not play the whole season either since I reckon he will start to get injured more frequently. He got a pretty aggressive style and dont have great size so his body will not be able to withstand a full season. But still good to have him on the team. We need veterans like him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed. Robidas will probably not play the whole season either since I reckon he will start to get injured more frequently. He got a pretty aggressive style and dont have great size so his body will not be able to withstand a full season. But still good to have him on the team. We need veterans like him.

Yeah, that guy takes a big hit every 4-5 games and I am just mind boggled as to how the heck he gets up.

Good veteran though.

MacWilliam might make sense as a 7th though next year, or a veteran guy. I do not think MacWilliam will get hurt by sitting at this point, at the age where he's not going to develop that much more in the AHL. May as well use our own guy internally for things like 7th defenseman then sign guys on the market.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Leafs are going to have to bring in some warm NHL-bodies in the summer or else half the Marlies would easily crack this roster, especially if/when the core is shipped out.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I think that from current Marlies Carrick and McKegg won't play for Marlies next season, but they'll be on 4th line of big boys club.
And I hope we give Nylander time at C next season. Maybe play him, Brown and Leivo together, if they all stay down.

Regarding Dmen, I think that MacWilliam will be 7th men, like Holzer was. And probably we'll sign some new veteran RHD to play with one of younger guys. Fact is, Rielly will actually need someone to play with on top-pairing, unless we will use Polak there and have another missing spot in top4 where we'll have Gardiner without his partner. So will probably need someone like Michalek to play with one of ours puck-moving LHD. And I see one of Marlie defenders take place on 3rd pairing and playing with Robidas, preferably Percy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any chance Nylander comes up before this seasons over?

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Any chance Nylander comes up before this seasons over?

Hopefully not. Plus we have Bozak, Kadri and Holland on C, and still JVR, Lupul, Komarov, Kessel on W. I don't think that they try any of younger guys, like Brown or Nylander, but some of older guys will get a chance, probably Frattin.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hopefully not. Plus we have Bozak, Kadri and Holland on C, and still JVR, Lupul, Komarov, Kessel on W. I don't think that they try any of younger guys, like Brown or Nylander, but some of older guys will get a chance, probably Frattin.

Makes sense but it would certainly liven up the last few games.

No- Dubas confirmed this when Nylander was brought over.

I wouldn't put a lot of weight into his comments.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The point of that was for the media/fans not to start campaigns to bring him up.

Wouldn't surprise if he got in one of the last 2 or 3 games.

What would be the point when the Marlies are trying to make a playoff push? I say there is about a 0% chance, he hasn't even been given a game at center down there yet.

Plus, the Leafs are in tanking mode, no reason to call up a better young player.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
I just hope we totally dump all our NHL'ers, like Phaneuf, Kessel, Polak, Lupul and Robidas.

Give the AHL boys a chance, next season and hopefully have one of the worst teams in the league. I can really see our team being bottom 3 next year given we trade Kessel and Phaneuf.

Brown - Rupert - Leipisic would be 2/3 line. I would really like them to see NHL time as they are tearing up the juniors. This could potentially be our Kucherov - Johnson - Palat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->