Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread V.6 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Thought the same. I'd say he's top 5 for sure, he did lead the CHL in points, hes undersized but has lots of skill.

Nice little scouting report here ...

Gus Katsaros
‏@KatsHockey Brendan Leipsic scouting report via @mckeenshockey

https://twitter.com/katshockey/status/567037310790008832

Marlies have 2 great long shots in Brown and Leipsic. Both scoring leaders, 6th. and 3rd. rounders.

I'd be curious to know if that was who the Leafs wanted or who the Preds were willing to give up?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Polak and Robidas both out for the year.....call up some kids give them a shot....I'd like to see Brennan play some games

Not a kid hehe.

Speaking of your username, i'd personally like to see Biggs called up and put onto the 4th line wing. See if he can stick as a 4th liner. Obviously you do not want to draft a 4th liner with your 1st round picks but i'd rather get a player then no player at all.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Not a kid hehe.

Speaking of your username, i'd personally like to see Biggs called up and put onto the 4th line wing. See if he can stick as a 4th liner. Obviously you do not want to draft a 4th liner with your 1st round picks but i'd rather get a player then no player at all.

He's hurt. Looked like a bad injury at the time; couldn't put any weight at all on his left leg. Not sure how serious it was.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's hurt. Looked like a bad injury at the time; couldn't put any weight at all on his left leg. Not sure how serious it was.

Ah damn. Saw him a couple times throughout the year. He's good at blocking shots, he's gotten really strong, and has a great shot but didn't seem to use it much. He fights well too. I think we can use a 4th liner like that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ah damn. Saw him a couple times throughout the year. He's good at blocking shots, he's gotten really strong, and has a great shot but didn't seem to use it much. He fights well too. I think we can use a 4th liner like that.

Kind of sad isn't it.

Shows how low the Leafs have sunk, that a fringe AHL player is a player the Leafs can use. Throw back days where you put 5 minute players on the 4th. line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kind of sad isn't it.

Shows how low the Leafs have sunk, that a fringe AHL player is a player the Leafs can use. Throw back days where you put 5 minute players on the 4th. line.

It depends. I don't think Biggs will ever put up numbers but he can PK well, blocks shots, he hits, he can fight. He is strong and is a big body guy.

I think if you have a 4th line guy who can make PK contributions, has speed, size, and has toughness - but is not limited to just being a face puncher can help a team.

Not what I want out of a 1st round pick, but i'd rather give Biggs 10 games at the end of the year to see if we have anything at all then play Joakim Lindstrom. I think we can agree on that, no?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
It depends. I don't think Biggs will ever put up numbers but he can PK well, blocks shots, he hits, he can fight. He is strong and is a big body guy.

I think if you have a 4th line guy who can make PK contributions, has speed, size, and has toughness - but is not limited to just being a face puncher can help a team.

Not what I want out of a 1st round pick, but i'd rather give Biggs 10 games at the end of the year to see if we have anything at all then play Joakim Lindstrom. I think we can agree on that, no?

agreed... I want the Goat and Biggs to be on our 4th line next year... Or Carrick and Rupert any combo of young players, just not Smith and Lindstrom... Sill i dont mind though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
agreed... I want the Goat and Biggs to be on our 4th line next year... Or Carrick and Rupert any combo of young players, just not Smith and Lindstrom... Sill i dont mind though.

I think Carrick is on this team next year along with Leivo from the Marlies. Gauthier not so much, he will need time. His balance/skating is a huge concern but he can work on it, but if we see Gauthier at all, it won't be for another 2 years.

Rupert will probably need 1 more year if he is going to make it at all.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Nice little scouting report here ...

Gus Katsaros
‏@KatsHockey Brendan Leipsic scouting report via @mckeenshockey

https://twitter.com/katshockey/status/567037310790008832

Marlies have 2 great long shots in Brown and Leipsic. Both scoring leaders, 6th. and 3rd. rounders.

I'd be curious to know if that was who the Leafs wanted or who the Preds were willing to give up?
Being a preds fan and being a part of that fan community, leipsic was highly viewed among them. He was a player they all viewed very well.

While icant definitively state an answer to your question, The general sense around that is that leipsic was viewed pretty highly with the predators organization. I'd suspect however that the development of forsberg and the addition of fiala made him a less painful loss for a trade material. Nashville had an opportunity to Go for a cup, probably their best shot ever. Leipsic was probably worth that shot.

And judging by the type of players dubas and hunter have gone after before (and leaf amateur scouting as a whole), I'd suspect the leafs probably had some desire to get him.

So probably a little of answer a and b

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Being a preds fan and being a part of that fan community, leipsic was highly viewed among them. He was a player they all viewed very well.

While icant definitively state an answer to your question, The general sense around that is that leipsic was viewed pretty highly with the predators organization. I'd suspect however that the development of forsberg and the addition of fiala made him a less painful loss for a trade material. Nashville had an opportunity to Go for a cup, probably their best shot ever. Leipsic was probably worth that shot.

And judging by the type of players dubas and hunter have gone after before (and leaf amateur scouting as a whole), I'd suspect the leafs probably had some desire to get him.

So probably a little of answer a and b

Thanks.

Many of their offensive prospects seem like smurfs, so getting one with grit was probably the best they could do from the minors.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
That's one of the worst lists I've seen.

I think you're joking though... (hopefully).

This was HF top 10 from 2006

1. Justin Pogge, G
2. Carlo Colaiacovo, D
3. Robert Earl, LW
4. Jiri Tlusty, C/F
5. Jeremy Williams, RW
6. Ian White, D
7. Nikolai Kulemin, F
8. Staffan Kronwall, D
9. Dmitri Vorobiev, D
10. Jay Harrison, D

Mitchel was ranked 13th, Stralman was ranked 16th and Holzer 20th. And then there was Reimer, Komarov and some others who become NHL players later on but who was not ranked very high.

Our board ranked our prospects in 2010. How many guys where ranked correctly?
#1: Nazem Kadri
#2: Jerry D'Amigo
#3: Keith Aulie
#4: Luca Caputi
#5: Brad Ross
#6: Marcel Mueller
#7: Jesse Blacker
#8: Greg McKegg
#9: Jussi Rynnas
#10: Korbinian Holzer
#11: James Reimer
#12: Juraj Mikus
#13: Sondre Olden
#14: Kenny Ryan
#15: Mikhail Stefanovich
#16: Ben Scrivens
#17: Matt Frattin
#18: Braydon Irwin
#19: Daniel Brodin
#20: Dale Mitchell
#21: Peter Granberg
#22: Simon Gysbers
#23: Jerome Flaake
#24: Sam Carrick
#25: Tyler Rueggsegger
#26: Andrew MacWilliam
#27: Jamie Devane
#28: Robert Slaney
#29: Eric Knodel

I picked the guys who I think will have the best NHL careers for us. And I do think Nylander will be a first line player for us I just have a feeling Percy will continue to slowly progress and become that solid, minute eating defenseman who just make the right decisions for us game after game. Not the guy you notice every game but the guy you notice is missing when he dont play. Lidas light sort of.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Thanks.

Many of their offensive prospects seem like smurfs, so getting one with grit was probably the best they could do from the minors.

YEah they don't really have too many larger prospects that also have offensive potential that could be considered top 6.

I think Leipsic could be a type of player that we'll see the Leafs target more and more. Not so much the size per se, but the attitude of balls to the walls motor, grit, and heart.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

1. Justin Pogge, G
2. Carlo Colaiacovo, D
3. Robert Earl, LW
4. Jiri Tlusty, C/F
5. Jeremy Williams, RW
6. Ian White, D
7. Nikolai Kulemin, F
8. Staffan Kronwall, D
9. Dmitri Vorobiev, D
10. Jay Harrison, D

Hmm where to start. I'm a huge Percy fan but he is no way a better prospect then Nylander (there should actually be a gap between Nylander and Percy). Percy has been hit hard this year with injuries, making his development a tough one in the pros so far (of course he's still young, and lots of time left), but at the end of the day I see him as a really good #3/decent #2, where as Nylander has that elite 1st line potential. Next Bibeau at 3 is a head scratcher and shouldn't be above Brown. He had a good start to the year, but has been only decent the last month or so. Gibson who people pbly don't even have him in the top 20 has had a far better year so far. And then you got Biggs at 8 above Leipsic. Leipsic has had similar path to success as Brown has but he is way lower, which I don't get; whereas Biggs has shown small glimpses of hope in the AHL, but hasn't stood out too much, and just got hurt on the weekend and could be out for the season.

I know you said your list is on best NHL careers for us, but I have a hard time believing this list will be close to accurate.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010

1. Justin Pogge, G
2. Carlo Colaiacovo, D
3. Robert Earl, LW
4. Jiri Tlusty, C/F
5. Jeremy Williams, RW
6. Ian White, D
7. Nikolai Kulemin, F
8. Staffan Kronwall, D
9. Dmitri Vorobiev, D
10. Jay Harrison, D

Mitchel was ranked 13th, Stralman was ranked 16th and Holzer 20th. And then there was Reimer, Komarov and some others who become NHL players later on but who was not ranked very high.

I picked the guys who I think will have the best NHL careers for us. And I do think Nylander will be a first line player for us I just have a feeling Percy will continue to slowly progress and become that solid, minute eating defenseman who just make the right decisions for us game after game. Not the guy you notice every game but the guy you notice is missing when he dont play. Lidas light sort of.

Oh man both those lists :facepalm:

Especially from 2006 :facepalm:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hmm where to start. I'm a huge Percy fan but he is no way a better prospect then Nylander (there should actually be a gap between Nylander and Percy). Percy has been hit hard this year with injuries, making his development a tough one in the pros so far (of course he's still young, and lots of time left), but at the end of the day I see him as a really good #3/decent #2, where as Nylander has that elite 1st line potential. Next Bibeau at 3 is a head scratcher and shouldn't be above Brown. He had a good start to the year, but has been only decent the last month or so. Gibson who people pbly don't even have him in the top 20 has had a far better year so far. And then you got Biggs at 8 above Leipsic. Leipsic has had similar path to success as Brown has but he is way lower, which I don't get; whereas Biggs has shown small glimpses of hope in the AHL, but hasn't stood out too much, and just got hurt on the weekend and could be out for the season.

I know you said your list is on best NHL careers for us, but I have a hard time believing this list will be close to accurate.

I get what you are saying, I just went with my gut feeling and how much a value different type of players. And I tried to be as biased as possible towards the kids I really like, me giving an knowledgable ranking is worthless anyway considering I dont get to see them play often enough.
Perhaps I should have put Nylander at the top and Percy 2nd, long term I think they will be close in terms of importance for us.
Brown, Johnson, Leipsic, Leivo etc I can see become 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Not bad at all. And Biggs has been a personal favourite since we drafted him, again gut feeling, but I can see him taking a huge step in his development in a year or two. Bibeau is another wild card but from what I get he is a big time player, that is imo key tools for a goalie since it shows a lot of the mental toughness he has. Everything will develop eventually given time but the mental aspects is a lot harder to fix since it is part of your character, and he seem to have a lot of it.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

The 2010 actually isn't bad at all. The only blatant miss is Reimer(which is excusable, goalies are hard). Carrick and Frattin should be higher, but that's about it.

Actually I'd say that's very good for a bunch of message board users ranking no-name prospects.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

2006 Draft:

2006 Entry 13 1 Jiri Tlusty L Kladno [Czech] 400 86 80 166 116
2006 Entry 44 2 Nikolay Kulemin L Magnitogorsk Metallurg [Russia] 489 96 123 219 133
2006 Entry 99 4 James Reimer G Red Deer Rebels [WHL] 167 0 2 2 6
2006 Entry 111 4 Korbinian Holzer D Bad Toelz EC [2.GBun] 58 2 7 9 55
2006 Entry 161 6 Viktor Stalberg L Frolunda Jrs (Sweden) 325 60 66 126 174
2006 Entry 166 6 Tyler Ruegsegger C Shattuck St. Mary's (Minn)
2006 Entry 180 6 Leo Komarov C Assat Pori [SM-liiga] 90 10 20 30 34

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
thinking of the future.

Code:
JVR           Strome        Nylander
Leipsic       Kadri            Brown 
Panik         Gauthier       Leivo 
Devane      Carrick         Rupert

Depending on things turn out with those players... still lots of work to do. Really, its the d-corps with most question marks, even though its the position we have the most depth in.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

1. Justin Pogge, G
2. Carlo Colaiacovo, D
3. Robert Earl, LW
4. Jiri Tlusty, C/F
5. Jeremy Williams, RW
6. Ian White, D
7. Nikolai Kulemin, F
8. Staffan Kronwall, D
9. Dmitri Vorobiev, D
10. Jay Harrison, D

Gotta show some respect for a poster that gets called out and then supports it. Well done rudeboy.

I'm not going to criticize your list after that.

I think the issue that I have with making a list is that you don't know where a player sits in the franchise's eyes in terms of how important they are in their development. The other issue is that there is no guarantee that an European draft pick will come over to North America. I mean, it took Komarov 6 years after he was drafted to come over to the Leafs. So that definitely alters the list.

Did you take that into account ranking Johnson because he's pretty high on your list, or do you feel that he's too good of a player to leave him off?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Gotta show some respect for a poster that gets called out and then supports it. Well done rudeboy.

I'm not going to criticize your list after that.

I think the issue that I have with making a list is that you don't know where a player sits in the franchise's eyes in terms of how important they are in their development. The other issue is that there is no guarantee that an European draft pick will come over to North America. I mean, it took Komarov 6 years after he was drafted to come over to the Leafs. So that definitely alters the list.

Did you take that into account ranking Johnson because he's pretty high on your list, or do you feel that he's too good of a player to leave him off?

I sort of see where rudeboy comes from but he supported his list by showing a couple previous lists made by Leafs fans here on HFBoards to show how off we can be (even though those lists weren't that bad) and failed to look at how each player has progressed and developed since being drafted. Seems like that a couple of lists were sort of off, that if he made a list that was sort of off, it would turn out to be more correct then others.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Depending on things turn out with those players... still lots of work to do. Really, its the d-corps with most question marks, even though its the position we have the most depth in.

This.

We really boosted our offence this year bringing in Winnik/Santa/Komarov, but its the D that we basically didnt improve at all.

Polak is at best a lateral move from Gunnarsson (if not worse), but also a different role. And Robidas is marginally better than Ranger was. What makes matters worse is that it looked like Percy could be a difference maker, but has struggled with injuries, and even before then was sent down due to politics

If our D is going to suck, I wish we had Granberg, Percy, and even Loov getting a lot more games then they have had

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
thinking of the future.

Code:
JVR           Strome        Nylander
Leipsic       Kadri            Brown 
Panik         Gauthier       Leivo 
Devane      Carrick         Rupert

I think they would add some UFA's as well.

Just think of the top 9 filled with home grown talent then the 4th line has guys like Winnik and Santorelli on it signed cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad