Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
thinking of the future.

Code:
JVR           Strome        Nylander
Leipsic       Kadri            Brown 
Panik         Gauthier       Leivo 
Devane      Carrick         Rupert

This is fairly nice (assuming the players hit their projections), however you're missing a few notables in my opinion. Johnson will probably be a good middle 6 winger and I think there are multiple wingers that will be better suited for the 4th line than Devane (I like him, but I don't think he's gonna amount to anything... Hope I'm wrong as I'm still a fan of his game).

In addition, you need to consider returns we get on trading Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, etc.

Assuming we get McDavid (PLEASE!), Strome, or Marner (and he transitions back to C) and the drafted player becomes a #1C, the biggest need we will have is a #2Dman. We have to hope either the NSH 1st, returns from Phaneuf/Kessel/Bozak trade(s), or our projected 2nd-3rd pairing D prospects become a #2Dman.

JVR (hope he's traded actually), '15 1st, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, and Bernier are the big guys we will/need to be building around. Hoping the "secondary core" players turn out good (Percy, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, possibly Gauthier, Finn, Loov, Johnson, NSH 1st).

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I sort of see where rudeboy comes from but he supported his list by showing a couple previous lists made by Leafs fans here on HFBoards to show how off we can be (even though those lists weren't that bad) and failed to look at how each player has progressed and developed since being drafted. Seems like that a couple of lists were sort of off, that if he made a list that was sort of off, it would turn out to be more correct then others.

Yea, in no way should you justify a list saying that people were wrong before, so this list has to be better.

The list I would make would be based on positions available and not so much on how good I think the players would be.

Here's an example:

I think that Toninato will be a better player than Carrick in the long run, but I think Carrick makes the team next year and has a quicker impact than Dominic Toninato.

Also, I don't think that Andreas Johnson will come over to North America in the next 2 years, but I think he will be better than Connor Brown.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
thinking of the future.

Code:

Yea, I don't mind that set-up, but that roster will have a problem reaching the cap floor.

Instead of Rupert on the 4th line, I'd put Komarov.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Whatever the particulars of positioning on a list, looking at those 2006/2010 lists helps me to appreciate just how much better is it than it used to be. Still some ways to go though.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Yea, in no way should you justify a list saying that people were wrong before, so this list has to be better.

The list I would make would be based on positions available and not so much on how good I think the players would be.

Here's an example:

I think that Toninato will be a better player than Carrick in the long run, but I think Carrick makes the team next year and has a quicker impact than Dominic Toninato.

Also, I don't think that Andreas Johnson will come over to North America in the next 2 years, but I think he will be better than Connor Brown.

there is no comparison between toninato and carrick. carrick is a gritty, high energy forward with some skill.

toninato is a player with great vision, smooth skating and an extremely accurate release that is probably better than kadri's. a better comparible would be either holland or verhaeghe. he will either bump gauthier, or make to to second line. the latter is not likely, but he may be able to put kadri like numbers. most likely, he will be an option on third line.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Very underrated around here, nice to see progress.

would love to see his progression on the marlies next season!

our d-core has a very long way to go, once Phaneuf is gone, it's basically Reilly, polak and maybe Gardiner that are legitimate d-men on the team(robidas is at the end of his days, granberg/holzer/macwilliam types are like #6-7 d-men.

and prospect wise percy is the only legitimate top 4 guy.

in the long run we need another top pairing guy to compliment rielly, and another top 4 D(third pairing is easy to find).

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
would love to see his progression on the marlies next season!

our d-core has a very long way to go, once Phaneuf is gone, it's basically Reilly, polak and maybe Gardiner that are legitimate d-men on the team(robidas is at the end of his days, granberg/holzer/macwilliam types are like #6-7 d-men.

and prospect wise percy is the only legitimate top 4 guy.

in the long run we need another top pairing guy to compliment rielly, and another top 4 D(third pairing is easy to find).

matt finn?

Tyler Biggs*

I would like to see Orr and McLaren back but that won't happen those two actually have guts and a ton of heart

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Andreas Johnson should be over as soon as next season. He is under contract with us and at this point isn't going to accomplish anything else in the SHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
thinking of the future.

Code:

Next year I don't want to see. Under any circumstances.

Lei, Gauthier, Nylander, Brown or Rupert on the team. Carrick Leivo Dev are ok. We need to push for a Calder and Bibsy should stay as well in net.

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
I still am holding expectation away from loov because I am stil bitten by freaking stralman hahah

Huh? Stralman turned into a solid top pairing D/excellent 2nd pairing D. Toronto gave up on him way too quickly or simply failed to develop him or put him in a position to grow/succeed, which is troubling.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I still am holding expectation away from loov because I am stil bitten by freaking stralman hahah

Stralman is doing fairly well for him self today and the last couple of years. He have been a top 4 defenseman on two of the best teams in the league. 34 points (ranked 28th) and +22 (ranked 3rd, but a weak stat), averaging 22 TIO/G (ranked 62nd) this season with 68 games played so far. That ranks him among the better defenseman in the league. Not saying he is but those are his stats and a case can be made for him being a top-pairing defenseman today.

If Loov could become as good as him we should be really happy. And Loov got better size as well and that is always useful.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
By the look of things, we should have been more patient with Strålman. He's been terrific in both Rangers and Tampa now.

Huh? Stralman turned into a solid top pairing D/excellent 2nd pairing D. Toronto gave up on him way too quickly or simply failed to develop him or put him in a position to grow/succeed, which is troubling.

Stralman is doing fairly well for him self today and the last couple of years. He have been a top 4 defenseman on two of the best teams in the league. 34 points (ranked 28th) and +22 (ranked 3rd, but a weak stat), averaging 22 TIO/G (ranked 62nd) this season with 68 games played so far. That ranks him among the better defenseman in the league. Not saying he is but those are his stats and a case can be made for him being a top-pairing defenseman today.

If Loov could become as good as him we should be really happy. And Loov got better size as well and that is always useful.

That's the reason guy I was always high on him but we didn't keep him and we didn't give him the right time. I fear we might do it again :laugh: If we keep him awesome!

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That's the reason guy I was always high on him but we didn't keep him and we didn't give him the right time. I fear we might do it again :laugh: If we keep him awesome!

Ehhh.. Shanny and co. will take it slow with these prospects, but IMO, Loov's a dark horse candidate for me to make the Leafs next year. He's been improving at a very good rate over the past few years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maybe the Leafs should hire whoever developed Stralman and see if they can fix Gardiner?

Mind you it was easy to see Stralman had the smarts, just didn't have the patience or size/strength.

Maybe the hire should be to work on the uninfected players in the system?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i knew stralman would be a top 4. he had the smarts, skating and timing under pressure. i don't think it would have mattered who was in the nhl training him; even on the leafs he looked good. i was greatly annoyed when he and steen were traded. we need to keep the swedes! except gunnar. he's slow.

if loov turns out to be like another gunnarson, he will be a faster gunnarson. which is fine by me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Marlies are running into a lot of long injuries. Losing Biggs is going to hurt a bit as he was great as a shutdown center.

Hopefully Nilsson is back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan