Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
Getslaf line has been awful for most of the tournament. One game doesn't make up for 4 games

I'd suggest it does as long as the team keeps winning.

Just like Crosby in 2010...one goal is all it takes.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
uhh it is still the Marleau-Toews-Carter doing the most at both ends of the ice, by quite a bit.
They are your savior, bow to Toews and the bubble players

calvin0416*

I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

Getzlaf and Perry have been mediocre thus far into the olympics. One game doesn't null every bad performance they've had.

Bad performances? Last I checked Canada hasn't had any bad performances and are a perfect 5-0 right now.

They've had lots of great games so far. Just ask Babcock. That's why he's riding that line like a horse bareback style!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

Getzlaf and Perry have been mediocre thus far into the olympics. One game doesn't null every bad performance they've had.

Well to be fair, they were outstanding against Russia in the semi's and finals in Vancouver. And they were today as well, with the goal that gets Canada to the gold medal game, and guaranteed Silver.

They are big game players, wouldn't be surprised more of the same against Sweden.

3 big guys that are almost impossible to handle with their cycle game.

calvin0416*

Toews has been stellar as he always is. He's the same type of player as Getzlaf. Fully reliable on offense and defense. Carter has been pretty good but take away that one game where he had a hat trick and he's pretty much invisible. Marleau? LOL. He wasn't even good in 2010.

calvin0416*

Well to be fair, they were outstanding against Russia in the semi's and finals in Vancouver. And they were today as well, with the goal that gets Canada to the gold medal game, and guaranteed Silver.

They are big game players, wouldn't be surprised more of the same against Sweden.

3 big guys that are almost impossible to handle with their cycle game.

agreed.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
In 2010 it was Getzlaf Perry Morrow, the most dominant line.
In 2014 it's Getzlaf Perry Benn, the most dominant line (possession and cycling wise).
It was a great move by the coaching staff to put Benn there. I knew that line was going to dominate once it was made. You could see Babcock tried to put Getzlaf line out there every chance he could get in the 3rd.

But the MVP is Team defense. Our defence is what has brought us to the gold.

Benn has carried every line he was placed on in this tournament.

calvin0416*

Benn has been great for sure, but one player doesn't make a line. It takes 3. Since slotting Benn in with the Getzlaf line, they all got better. Perfect match. I give credit to the coaching staff for making this move.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Canada would've met another Canada (in terms of skill and depth) I doubt Price
would've had a shutout. Thus, not irrelevant.

The american offense just transformed into nothing but perimeter shots and worthless grinding.

But then it would have been Price vs Price making it irrelevant again. ;)

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Toews has been stellar as he always is. He's the same type of player as Getzlaf. Fully reliable on offense and defense. Carter has been pretty good but take away that one game where he had a hat trick and he's pretty much invisible. Marleau? LOL. He wasn't even good in 2010.

what does 2010 have to do with this tournament?
Marleau was the best defensive forward today, he was 2 steps ahead of every USA player on the boards and corners. Carter's speed was also very present today as well. It seems like you're a pretty big Ducks homer if you're going to put down Carter and Marleau and act as if Getzlaf has been a bigger player this tourny.

I also agree with this guy. He's a hell of a player. Not nearly as effective with Duchene.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
840201337.gif

Good thing Price was able to stop that perimeter shot eh?

No replays during the game suck. These gif's rock.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There is a reason Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester were on the ice with under a minute left while up 1-0.

Unfortunately, there are way too many who seem insistent that if PK were in this line-up, the game would be so far out of reach that the Canadians could put Tavares on crutches back there and we'd be fine:sarcasm:
Three zone clinic put on today

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Can we all please stop whining about who is and who isn't playing. Put your NHL team allegiance aside and get behind Team Canada. I don't care that Luongo and Hamhuis are out. Our D are all awesome, even those sitting on the bench. Carey has been stellar and so has Luongo. One guy has to sit. People complaining about Kunitz might want to acknowledge that although he isn't finishing, the guy is getting chance after chance and he's doing quite a bit of it based on his own ability.

Lets get that gold!!! GO CANADA GO!!!

nwaZ*

Lol, Getzlaf isn't even half the player Toews is on the defensive side of things.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Can we all please stop whining about who is and who isn't playing. Put your NHL team allegiance aside and get behind Team Canada. I don't care that Luongo and Hamhuis are out. Our D are all awesome, even those sitting on the bench. Carey has been stellar and so has Luongo. One guy has to sit. People complaining about Kunitz might want to acknowledge that although he isn't finishing, the guy is getting chance after chance and he's doing quite a bit of it based on his own ability.

Lets get that gold!!! GO CANADA GO!!!

Look at me agreeing with a canucks fan....well said

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Damn I'm pretty happy right now, was a hell of a game.

Down with Subban, up with Canada! I'm on board folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad