Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Can anyone provide a scouting report on Latvia? I didn't have an opportunity to watch the game today, nor will I watch the replay this evening. Should we expect to see the same defensive system employed as Finland or Switzerland? Something more wide open?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I don't mind the lines to be honest. Obviously, the Crosby line will be most looked upon by other teams. Kunitz isn't particularly a strong player without Crosby, so this free's up the other lines. If Crosby's line wasn't doing good (against Finland), and if Kunitz hasn't played well when NOT on Crosby's line, then why have two different liabilities (not liabilities, but you get the deal)

Talk about a ton of rambling in this post lol

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Can anyone provide a scouting report on Latvia? I didn't have an opportunity to watch the game today, nor will I watch the replay this evening. Should we expect to see the same defensive system employed as Finland or Switzerland? Something more wide open?

It's a bit more open than Finland/Swiss but still play a more defensive game.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

More wide open. They go for the win, are physical in the corners and in front of the net, take advantage of any offensive zone turnovers, possess a good PP, and are creative on offensive rushes. However, they lack roster depth, do not possess elite level finish (e.g., they fumble a few odd man rushes), and are prone to turnovers when they try their fancy offensive plays. If Canada's defense can shut down their rushes and quickly outlet to the Canadian forwards, Canada may have numerous odd man rushes.

My best guess is that Latvia will want to play a physical game against Canada and hope to trade PP chances. However, their top players played a lot of minutes today and could be exposed in the later stages of tomorrow's game.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

They will trap and try to keep it close. Their goalie stood on his head today.
Ted Nolan is their coach.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Latvians will be dog tired tomorrow. I dont expect this one to be close at all. Sadly i'm even expecting Kunitz to click.

calvin0416*

Team USA was built as a TEAM. They have 4 rolling lines each with a distinct set of skill sets and roles to play. They know what to do. Canada is built like an All-Star team (in Canada's defense, we have so many greats to choose from, it's impossible not to look like an all-star team), too many high profile names that are used to being the center of attention and not used to playing just 12 minutes a night, hence Canada's consistent slow starts and sluggish looking performances in the prelims. BUT, if any team can put it together when it counts most, it's team Canada. My scouting analysis indicates Team USA will win gold this time, but my heart hopes that Team Canada will find a way to overcome their "weakness" which has always been that there's too many star players in Canada. No matter how high and mighty, how proud and prestigious, we must remember that every great nation was not built by names or prestige or fame, but on the backs of the lowly, humble, hardworking everyday grinder, who would lay everything down including himself for the sake of his country. If Team Canada can overcome their egos and self-aggrandizing status of their individual names, and become a no-name selfless hero, then Canada shall win gold. If they cannot, they will go home with nothing but their "great" names on their backs, and nothing more.

KlaxicoBurress

Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, ON
Team USA was built as a TEAM. They have 4 rolling lines each with a distinct set of skill sets and roles to play. They know what to do. Canada is built like an All-Star team (in Canada's defense, we have so many greats to choose from, it's impossible not to look like an all-star team), too many high profile names that are used to being the center of attention and not used to playing just 12 minutes a night, hence Canada's consistent slow starts and sluggish looking performances in the prelims. BUT, if any team can put it together when it counts most, it's team Canada. My scouting analysis indicates Team USA will win gold this time, but my heart hopes that Team Canada will find a way to overcome their "weakness" which has always been that there's too many star players in Canada. No matter how high and mighty, how proud and prestigious, we must remember that every great nation was not built by names or prestige or fame, but on the backs of the lowly, humble, hardworking everyday grinder, who would lay everything down including himself for the sake of his country. If Team Canada can overcome their egos and self-aggrandizing status of their individual names, and become a no-name selfless hero, then Canada shall win gold. If they cannot, they will go home with nothing but their "great" names on their backs, and nothing more.

the stacked gold medal winning teams in 2002 and 2010, and then the 2006 disaster**** of a team (complete with role playing grinders and 3rd liners) easily refute this idea

taking less talented players in order to fill the mythical "grinder" role in a best on best tournament is foolish and doesn't fly

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
the stacked gold medal winning teams in 2002 and 2010, and then the 2006 disaster**** of a team (complete with role playing grinders and 3rd liners) easily refute this idea

taking less talented players in order to fill the mythical "grinder" role in a best on best tournament is foolish and doesn't fly

This.
2006 was a disaster.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013

The US team that should have lost to Russia if they were playing under the correct rule is unbeatable? The US gave up as many goals to SLOVENIA as Canada did in 3 games

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The US team that should have lost to Russia if they were playing under the correct rule is unbeatable? The US gave up as many goals to SLOVENIA as Canada did in 3 games

They were playing under the correct rules. Some rules are different between NHL and IIHF.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

2006 was never about taking role players, it was about taking players that were better before the lockout. Honestly, it was a recipe for disaster. When you're picking players from a selection of all-star caliber players, are you more likely to give the edge to someone who had been really good for the majority of their career (ie. Bertuzzi), or are you going to give the edge to someone who has had a good start in half a season of the "new NHL" (ie. Crosby)? When you factor in that the tournament was on big ice, and a lot of players that were so strong before weren't the fleetest of foot, it's not that much of a surprise.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

USA has lit up poor teams who did not play a particularly defensive style, and was outplayed by an unimpressive Russian team. Sweden hasn't looked exceptional either. We have yet to see any team impress. That bodes well for Canada given their history of improving the deeper they get in the tournament.

A number of different teams are contenders to win this tournament, but this narrative I quoted is nonsense. Canadian all star teams have been far more successful at best on best tournaments than every other country combined. The teams that go for "grinders" tend to be the ones to struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad