Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
A lot of MEH players. I know everyone likes complaining about Carter and Kunitz but a lot of top guys didn't look good either like

Perry, Getzlaf, Nash, and Sharp

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Carter lead the west in Goals last year and plays RW and has speed..just saying.
Also Hall plays LW.

oh yea he does, weird i had it locked in my head that he'd be a pretty good replacement for stamkos so i always assumed he was a righty

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
A lot of MEH players. I know everyone likes complaining about Carter and Kunitz but a lot of top guys didn't look good either like

Perry, Getzlaf, Nash, and Sharp

Thank you. I really thought that Carter, Crosby Kunitz sustained some decent pressure.
Benn sure impressed though. Not just because he scored.

Last edited:

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
The hate for carter after one game is laughable.

Says the Kings fan. :laugh: It's funny, I don't think I've ever read a comment downplaying deserved criticism of a certain player and had the poster's location NOT been from the city of said player's NHL team. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I said it in thread.

Luongo gets the next game (does not matter if he plays well or not), Price plays vs finland(They will want to see if price can play in big type games vs good opponents). If price plays well in this game, he runs with it. If he falters at all, Luongo to gold.
I personally believe, and I'm in the minority here, Luongo will start against Finland if he performs adequately tomorrow. Why switch back to Price if Luongo and Canada play better tomorrow? You keep going. It's a process, and if Canada looks better tomorrow with Luongo in goal, you stick with it. No need for another goalie change. There needs to be some consistency starting soon.

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Says the Kings fan. :laugh: It's funny, I don't think I've ever read a comment downplaying deserved criticism of a certain player and had the poster's location not been from the city of said player's NHL team. Embarrassing.

Someone took my post personally. Please show me where I suggested or even hinted at him playing well? I found it funny lots of guys had bad games today but people want to focus on one or two guys.

Reading comprehension is so overrated these days its becoming embarrassing.

CertainAffinity*

Sportsnet Pacific ‏@SNETPacific 7m
Roberto Luongo will start for Canada tomorrow against Austria, Mike Smith will be the backup.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
.... so luongo gets to play vs austria and if price has a bad game vs finland lu gets a free pass until the finals? :help:
doesnt make any sense

Yes, it makes sense. If Price wants to be the starter, he better play well against Finland.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I think it depends on the Quality and Quantity of shots Luongo faces.

Exactly.

Honestly what's so funny about that?

See above quote.

Price was actually somewhat tested today with 20 shots and a couple of decent chances against the better team of the two (AUS and NOR). At least more than what people previously expected. If Luongo faces 8 shots or 10 perimeter shots and isn't tested, how does Luongo warrant the start against Finland over Price? Basing performance and who should start simply on goals against is what is laughable.

Sure, if Luongo has a great game against Austria and faces some decent opportunities and is actually somewhat tested as Price was today, then he would certainly be in contention to start against Finland. But as general as the statement of "If Luongo shuts out Austria then he should start again Finland" and the fact that Austria is the weaker of the two teams, is what made it a laughable statement. Well, to me at least.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
The hate for carter after one game is laughable.

getting feeds all game from the best player in the world in prime scoring areas against a team they could score a dozen games against...

yeah he did horrible sorry

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Kunitz and Carter were the first line wingers on my nhl team, I'd be searching high and low for an upgrade.

For my nhl team.

CertainAffinity*

If Kunitz and Carter were the first line wingers on my nhl team, I'd be searching high and low for an upgrade.

For my nhl team.

Yeah.

We got that.

You've said basically the same thing approximately 50,000 times in the last 2 hours.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Someone took my post personally. Please show me where I suggested or even hinted at him playing well? I found it funny lots of guys had bad games today but people want to focus on one or two guys.

Reading comprehension is so overrated these days its becoming embarrassing.

It's true he wasn't the only bad player today. But with 1st line minutes comes big expectations. While Kunitz was predictably just okay, Carter was real bad. Carter is a trigger man and he was set up constantly and either missed the net or fumbled the puck every time.

He's a good player, but if he is going to play top line minutes with the best set up man on the team, he has to bury his chances, or at least hit the net.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Exactly.

See above quote.

Price was actually somewhat tested today with 20 shots and a couple of decent chances against the better team of the two (AUS and NOR). At least more than what people previously expected. If Luongo faces 8 shots or 10 perimeter shots and isn't tested, how does Luongo warrant the start against Finland over Price? Basing performance and who should start simply on goals against is what is laughable.

Sure, if Luongo has a great game against Austria and faces some decent opportunities and is actually somewhat tested as Price was today, then he would certainly be in contention to start against Finland. But as general as the statement of "If Luongo shuts out Austria then he should start again Finland" and the fact that Austria is the weaker of the two teams, is what made it a laughable statement. Well, to me at least.
Austria has Grabner (who scored a hat-trick against Finland), Vanek, and Raffl. How is Austria weaker than Norway exactly? Canada will play better tomorrow regardless, so it shouldn't matter.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Honestly what's so funny about that?

It's just a stupid way to decide. Price was OK, looked kind of shaky at times but did nothing to change anything, if Luongo looks great or terrible I can see that being a mitigating factor but if he plays as Price did, whether or not he makes the 1 mistake Price did, they should just go with the guy they were going to go with anyway, whoever that is.

It's just unlikely Luongo does anything that changes any opinions of him coming into this game. I expect probably similar, 0-1 goal on 20ish shots. I don't know, I think they probably had an idea of who they wanted to go with coming in and IF it was Price, changing it because of that game would be a bit overreactive. Luongo probably won't get a chance to look great or awful vs Austria.

I'm a Habs fan but I suspect Luongo was always on the inside edge, despite all the talk. I just don't believe in changing things over 1 rusty play that led to a goal for Price when a lot of the guys looked a bit iffy.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Austria has Grabner (who scored a hat-trick against Finland), Vanek, and Raffl. How is Austria weaker than Norway exactly? Canada will play better tomorrow regardless, so it shouldn't matter.

Better top end talent but less depth would be my guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was a bit busy during the game, but I will rewatch. From what I saw Carter and Kunitz were nowhere near as bad as people are complaining about. May be different when I pay more attention. Overall the defence looked dominant, which is not surprising.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Carter and Kunitz were god awful, such a shame they made it, they were the two biggest beefs I had with the roster. Putting those two with Crosby completely wastes his talent. Working with what we got, this is what I'd do.

Tavares-Crosby-St Louis
Sharp-Toews-Nash
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Carter/Duchene
Scratch Kunitz

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry was easily the best line. Thought Toews, Bergeron, and Benn were great. Crosby was good, but not Crosby-good.

Kunitz was the worst forward, along with Carter and Nash IMO. And I was very disappointed in Vlasic. He's generally miles better than this. Probably nerves or something. He's a guy who seems to need a bit of familiarity with a system to be elite in it, so that was probably a learning game for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad