Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I said it in thread.

Luongo gets the next game (does not matter if he plays well or not), Price plays vs finland(They will want to see if price can play in big type games vs good opponents). If price plays well in this game, he runs with it. If he falters at all, Luongo to gold.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
He was untested that game and made himself small on the one goal. Not saying it was bad but definitely stoppable. Gotta give the next game to Bobby.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
I think they should stick with Price only because he's a better goalie, imo. If anything you give Price a breather because of the tight schedule but I wouldn't do it to see "who's better". Only way you do that, imo, is if Price had a tough game today. He didn't, so he should keep getting the starts (unless, as I said, they just want one game off to give him a breather).

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Doughty, Vlasic, Hamhuis and Keith were good on the back.

Benn, Crosby, Marleau, St Louis, Bergeron and Tavares were the best up front.

Carter, Nash and Kunitz are horrendous and I cannot believe those two are on the first line and Kunitz on PP.

CertainAffinity*

Luongo has to start next game.

The only two lines that really looked good were the Toews and Bergeron lines.

Our defense is probably going to be our strength through the tournament. They create offense and can shut down beautifully.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The goal was on Price for mishandling the puck, but he was solid otherwise. Didn't clinch himself as a starter or anything but didn't play his way out of it either.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 4m
Shea Weber on what he liked: "we got better as the game went on." What he didn't like: "we were too fancy" on offence.

Too fancy? lmao :laugh: Barry Trotz really got to him

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
A) How awake are you guys? Luongo was always going to play the next game...

B) Was not impressed with Price's play this game. Caused the goal himself and bobbled the puck a lot on coverings. His glove was stellar though.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I said it in thread.

Luongo gets the next game (does not matter if he plays well or not), Price plays vs finland(They will want to see if price can play in big type games vs good opponents). If price plays well in this game, he runs with it. If he falters at all, Luongo to gold.

.... so luongo gets to play vs austria and if price has a bad game vs finland lu gets a free pass until the finals? :help:
doesnt make any sense

CertainAffinity*

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 4m
Shea Weber on what he liked: "we got better as the game went on." What he didn't like: "we were too fancy" on offence.

Too fancy? lmao :laugh: Barry Trotz really got to him

He's right. Lots of cute passes in the offensive zone when they had a clear lane to drive the net or shoot and go for the rebound.

The 4th line and the 2nd line were the best lines on the ice, largely due to the fact that they played simple, north-south hockey most of the time, while the Getzlaf and Crosby lines were trying to get cute.

All three goals came from relatively simple plays.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
.... so luongo gets to play vs austria and if price has a bad game vs finland lu gets a free pass until the finals? :help:
doesnt make any sense

Not sure it's a free pass. You go with the veteran if Price shows holes in his game. Nothing to worry about though. He had a solid first game. Not sure what you didn't understand, was a reasonable statement.

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
Another question: If Luongo plays against Austria, plays well and gets a shutout, should he automatically get the start against Finland?

If he plays well and only lets in one goal, who should get the start against Finland then?

I think it's probable if he lets in two goals against Austria, no matter how well he plays otherwise, Price gets the start against Finland....

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I would sit Carter next game. Even Kunitz was better. Marleau was not impressive. Duchene should be in, MSL and Tavares should play more.

Really not that impressed all around. Doughty looked great, Benn was good, Crosby was good, Weber was good. Keith, etc.

What?

Marleau lead the team with 5 shots. Played more minutes than any other forward not named Toews including a large % of the PK shifts. That Marleau/Getzlaf/Perry line might have been the best line out there...

Doughty, Vlasic, Hamhuis and Keith were good on the back.

Benn, Crosby, Marleau, St Louis, Bergeron and Tavares were the best up front.

Carter, Nash and Kunitz are horrendous and I cannot believe those two are on the first line and Kunitz on PP.

Yes. I thought Weber was good as well, but I don't really like the Keith-Weber pairing much.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
That's the point... If Price doesn't play well and Luongo does you go with Luongo.

the poster i replied to said:

"Luongo gets the next game (does not matter if he plays well or not), Price plays vs finland(They will want to see if price can play in big type games vs good opponents). If price plays well in this game, he runs with it. If he falters at all, Luongo to gold."

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Need for Speed?

Run Marleau-Duchene-St.louis next game, St.louis was ridiculously strong along the boards today, Marleau is a beast, all 3 can score.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Watching Barkov and Granlund for Finland and Nichushkin for Russia makes me really wish that Canada wasn't so reluctant to bring players with less experience. I'd much rather have Seguin flying Dow the wing than Carter or see the Cole Harbor boys flying out there together.

Canada plays it too safe in every aspect.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
the poster i replied to said:

"Luongo gets the next game (does not matter if he plays well or not), Price plays vs finland(They will want to see if price can play in big type games vs good opponents). If price plays well in this game, he runs with it. If he falters at all, Luongo to gold."

Edit: I get your point. I agree with you.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Watching Barkov and Granlund for Finland and Nichushkin for Russia makes me really wish that Canada wasn't so reluctant to bring players with less experience. I'd much rather have Seguin flying Dow the wing than Carter or see the Cole Harbor boys flying out there together.

Those teams don't have any better options, Canada does....

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

not too sure about seguin but i would have liked to see someone like hall over nash, would have been nice if we had an elite RW goal scorer w/ speed to play with crosby
i hope we go with one of these lines for the next game:

1. kunitz-crosby-msl (id give kunitz 1+ shot)
2. marleau-crosby-msl
3. duchene-crosby-msl

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
not too sure about seguin but i would have liked to see someone like hall over nash, would have been nice if we had an elite RW goal scorer w/ speed to play with crosby
i hope we go with one of these lines for the next game:

1. kunitz-crosby-msl (id give kunitz 1+ shot)
2. marleau-crosby-msl
3. duchene-crosby-msl

Carter lead the west in Goals last year and plays RW and has speed..just saying.
Also Hall plays LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland