Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Not a fan of Kunitz on the team. Where does he go and what does he give you if Crosby's line doesn't produce early? Not to take anything away from him as a player, but he's a product of Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins IMO. No guarantee that translates to the Olympics in a completely different environment (coaching staff, big ice, talent pool).
Kunitz is actually great complimentary player to do the dirty work and his grinding style would be useful on 3rd or 4th line also. Kunitz - Getzlaf - Perry could also work.

Burnaby_Joe*

I dont care what anyone says, Milan Lucic would be on my Team Canada!

I know Boston fans don't want to hear this, but I'd consider him on the team if the Olympics were on NHL ice. I know he's a fast skater when he gets going, but his first few strides aren't the greatest.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
I know Boston fans don't want to hear this, but I'd consider him on the team if the Olympics were on NHL ice. I know he's a fast skater when he gets going, but his first few strides aren't the greatest.

Lucic's game doesnt rely on a quick two first steps, he would be there to run around smashing people, intimidating opponents. I know it's easy for me to say I would take Lucic, but who do you omit - tough,tough question!

KerPatrick

Tee Hee You Missed!
Feb 18, 2009
Canada
I love Hall, but he should not be on this team. He has too many boneheaded turnovers that could really cost Canada in a short tournament like this

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think he'll be the 13th forward or have the 2nd most ice time of any forward.

I see JT getting most of his time on the PP myself, that is why I had him 13th forward... also lines switch up during the game.

If we need goals, I am sure Bergy sits a shift or two and JT would step in.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I know he gets a lot of hate but I think Phaneuf should be considered over Boyle/Vlasic as LD. Same with Hamhuis.

LD
Duncan Keith
Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Dan Hamhuis

RD
Drew Doughty
Shea Weber
Alex Pietrangelo
P.K. Subban

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
And by the way, before this hot streak, almost no one was even saying his name. I've had him on some of my mock ups for the team so don't act like I'm saying he's no good without Malkin.

That is simply ****ing false and you're clearly just mad that he's still not on your team.

A good part of his latest streak has been without Malkin in the line-up (including the very recent past, which Malkin has not been playing).

Plain. And. Simple.

He does not rely on star players to set him up. He has the IQ, speed, and size to be able to do it on his own. He has progressed to the point where he can confidently do so, and has therefore emerged as a superstar in the last calender year.

Trying to bash Neal right now is just ridiculous. It's a winless battle.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I know he gets a lot of hate but I think Phaneuf should be considered over Boyle/Vlasic as LD. Same with Hamhuis.

LD
Duncan Keith
Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Dan Hamhuis

RD
Drew Doughty
Shea Weber
Alex Pietrangelo
P.K. Subban

In no universe should Phaneuf be taken over Vlasic. Dude is the NHL's best kept secret.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If TSN players are the guys I can choose from;

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
Patrick Marleau - John Tavares - Martin St. Louis
Matt Duchene - Patrice Bergeron

Keith - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Weber
Hamhuis - Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

LD
Duncan Keith
Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Dan Hamhuis

RD
Drew Doughty
Shea Weber
Alex Pietrangelo
P.K. Subban
Phaneuf over Vlasic or Hamhuis? Boyle, maybe. But not the first two.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
My final roster:

L| C| R
19 John Tavares*| 87 Sidney Crosby*| 18 James Neal
12 Patrick Marleau| 91 Steven Stamkos*| 26 Martin St. Louis
9 Matt Duchene| 15 Ryan Getzlaf*| 24 Corey Perry*
16 Jonathan Toews*| 37 Patrice Bergeron*| 20 Patrick Sharp*

Ex: 10 Mike Richards, 28 Claude Giroux

* = Lock

Changes from my last roster: Giroux in, Couture out.

Sharp has made himself a lock with his weekend play, while Couture has pushed himself out over the same period. Giroux's been red hot, so I think has played himself back on. Despite Thornton's 3rd best 48 NHL points, I don't think he'll be named on Tuesday, especially with only 5 goals. Richards is also on the bubble, and I could see naming someone like Kunitz, E Staal or Benn ahead of him easily.

D| D
2 Duncan Keith*| 7 Brent Seabrook
8 Drew Doughty*| 6 Shea Weber*
4 Jay Bouwmeester*| 27 Alex Pietrangelo*

Ex: 76 PK Subban*, 44 Marc-Eduard Vlasic

Changes from my last roster: None

* = Lock

Subban plays a regular shift if anyone so much as has a bad period. If Seabrook is selected, he has to play with Keith, even if it's just to start. He's good, but his usefulness to the team is much lower if he's not with his familiar partner. Vlasic is taken for his defensive talents. The other guys probably battling Vlasic and Seabrook for a spot are Campbell and Boyle. I don't really give Hamhuis any real shot at making the team.

G
31 Carey Price*
1 Roberto Luongo
50 Corey Crawford

* = Lock

I'm not convinced Luongo's a lock, even though I'm pretty sure he will be named. Crawford is my 3rd string, as I think his big-game experience will be invaluable, even if he never sees the blue paint. His biggest challengers are probably Fleury, Bernier and Mason. Maybe excluding Fleury, that's not really much of a challenge. I don't see Smith even sniffing a roster spot.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
From what I've seen and heard:

Locks: Getzlaf, Bergeron, Perry, Toews, Tavares, Giroux, Crosby, Stamkos

Players that might very well be named on to the team: Sharp, Duchene, Benn, Couture, St.Louis

Players I would be surprised if they are OFF the team: (but it's not impossible) St.Louis, Sharp, Couture. And Kunitz to some degree. He was in a lot of projected line-ups made by TSN, wasn't there in the last projection though, but I would still be a bit surprised.

Players I would be surprised if they are ON the team: Lucic, Seguin, Hall, Neal, Richards, Burns, Thornton, Marleau, Carter

Players I think might be named on the roster, but are not playing that great lately: E.Staal, Nash

To be honest, I would like to see both Taylor Hall and James Neal make it, but I would be really surprised if they actually do. To some degree, I would be equally surprised if both Nash and E.Staal are left off.

And it will be interesting if it's true that there will be one of Lucic / Benn. Lucic would be the biggest surprise I think.

Last edited:

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Possibly losing Luongo will put a lot more pressure on Price. High ankle sprains take a while to recover from. If Luongo can't go that leaves Smith/Harding/Fleury/Crawford/Holtby/Bernier/Mason filling in 2 of the last 3 spots.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Are you kidding me!? You were just presented with stats over the past 3 seasons and you discounted them. What kind of sample size do you want!?

Neal was bad in Dallas. That's what matters the most right now when he's far better. Yep.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Possibly losing Luongo will put a lot more pressure on Price. High ankle sprains take a while to recover from. If Luongo can't go that leaves Smith/Harding/Fleury/Crawford/Holtby/Bernier/Mason filling in 2 of the last 3 spots.

Luongo should be fine. He has more than a month until the actual tournament starts and it's not like he's going to play right away. Price will more than likely ride it out anyway. In a short tournament getting the number 1 as much playing time as possible is key so unless Price gets hurt I don't see any of our back-ups playing. We don't play any back to backs either.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
My final roster:

L| C| R
19 John Tavares*| 87 Sidney Crosby*| 18 James Neal
12 Patrick Marleau| 91 Steven Stamkos*| 26 Martin St. Louis
9 Matt Duchene| 15 Ryan Getzlaf*| 24 Corey Perry*
16 Jonathan Toews*| 37 Patrice Bergeron*| 20 Patrick Sharp*

Ex: 10 Mike Richards, 28 Claude Giroux

* = Lock

Changes from my last roster: Giroux in, Couture out.

Sharp has made himself a lock with his weekend play, while Couture has pushed himself out over the same period. Giroux's been red hot, so I think has played himself back on. Despite Thornton's 3rd best 48 NHL points, I don't think he'll be named on Tuesday, especially with only 5 goals. Richards is also on the bubble, and I could see naming someone like Kunitz, E Staal or Benn ahead of him easily.

D| D
2 Duncan Keith*| 7 Brent Seabrook
8 Drew Doughty*| 6 Shea Weber*
4 Jay Bouwmeester*| 27 Alex Pietrangelo*

Ex: 76 PK Subban*, 44 Marc-Eduard Vlasic

* = Lock

Subban plays a regular shift if anyone so much as has a bad period. If Seabrook is selected, he has to play with Keith, even if it's just to start. He's good, but his usefulness to the team is much lower if he's not with his familiar partner. Vlasic is taken for his defensive talents. The other guys probably battling Vlasic and Seabrook for a spot are Campbell and Boyle. I don't really give Hamhuis any real shot at making the team.

G
31 Carey Price*
1 Roberto Luongo
50 Corey Crawford

* = Lock

I'm not convinced Luongo's a lock, even though I'm pretty sure he will be named. Crawford is my 3rd string, as I think his big-game experience will be invaluable, even if he never sees the blue paint. His biggest challengers are probably Fleury, Bernier and Mason. Maybe excluding Fleury, that's not really much of a challenge. I don't see Smith even sniffing a roster spot.

Mike Smith was mediocre at best at the World Championships if I remember correctly. I'd take Crawford over him anyday

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
From what I've seen and heard:

Locks: Getzlaf, Bergeron, Perry, Toews, Tavares, Giroux, Crosby, Stamkos

Players that might very well be named on to the team: Sharp, Duchene, Benn, Couture, St.Louis

Players I would be surprised if they are OFF the team: (but it's not impossible) St.Louis, Sharp, Couture. And Kunitz to some degree. He was in a lot of projected line-ups made by TSN, wasn't there in the last projection though, but I would still be a bit surprised.

Players I would be surprised if they are ON the team: Lucic, Seguin, Hall, Neal, Richards, Burns, Thornton, Marleau, Carter

Players I think might be named on the roster, but are not playing that great lately: E.Staal, Nash

To be honest, I would like to see both Taylor Hall and James Neal make it, but I would be really surprised if they actually do. To some degree, I would be equally surprised if both Nash and E.Staal are left off.

And it will be interesting if it's true that there will be one of Lucic / Benn. Lucic would be the biggest surprise I think.

Eric Staal has 17 points in 16 games with a +/- -4 in December and January so far on a very average Carolina squad. I don't know how much better you can expect him to be. :help:

Honestly, the thing that really might hurt his chances is the injury he sustained on Saturday.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
So here's what would be an interesting thing to do...after Canada's roster is named, pick another team of Canadians without those 25. You'd have to think it would be favored to win a medal, or at least have a real shot, if it gets good enough goaltending.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
So here's what would be an interesting thing to do...after Canada's roster is named, pick another team of Canadians without those 25. You'd have to think it would be favored to win a medal, or at least have a real shot, if it gets good enough goaltending.

Indeed. Despite our average goaltending as opposed to the past 20 years or so, we still have the most depth in the world.

The fact that there's almost 40 players still commonly viewed as in contention both on these boards and among the media experts shows you just how much that's still true.

Most other countries are lucky to have 30 players with legitimate chances to make their squad.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm confused here. What's your point?

I wouldn't try and think of his point too hard. He doesn't have one. He his his true development in 2011 and hasn't looked back.

I don't care if that has something to do with who he's playing with because he's more than likely going to be playing with Crosby or Tavares if he makes the team (based on my prediction).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad