Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't extrapolate multiple seasons stats and try to claim what he is doing now is what he's always been doing. He has 12 points in his last 5 games. That's a hot streak.

Take away the 12 points in 5 games. That's 22 points in 19 games. Above a PPG. What's your point? Haha

The argument that "he's only doing well becuase he's with Crosby/Malkin is absolutely moot because he's going to be playing on team canada (in case you didn't know, they usually have some good talent)

Trying to knock Neal is absolutely ridiculous. The guy puts the puck in the net and produces. In tournaments like this you want guys that are going to go out there and get points

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Don't extrapolate multiple seasons stats and try to claim what he is doing now is what he's always been doing. He has 12 points in his last 5 games. That's a hot streak.

Or maybe he's just a better player at 26 than he was at 23? And I say that as someone who watches him play every game and has been fairly critical of parts of his game in the past. What he's doing isn't just a hot streak. He's been fairly incredible productivity-wise for the past few seasons and he's finally added the defensive effort and hard work along the boards to his game. I think this term is tired and overused, but it's accurate...the man has been an absolute beast for a long while now. He's a more complete player than he was when he came to the Pens in just about every aspect of the game. Dismissing it as a "hot streak" is false.

Then again I really don't care who gets picked for Team Canada and if they don't take him and he gets time off that benefits the Pens, so...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
CBC Olympics ‏@CBCOlympics 28m
Canucks' Roberto Luongo out again on eve of Olympic selection, although Canada can replace injured players by Feb. 12 http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/roberto-luongo-out-with-injury-again-eve-olympic-selection.html

Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank 23m
Sounding more and more like Luongo will be out for 2-6 weeks with high ankle sprain. Hurting not only VAN but CND as well for Olympics

Olympic Hockey News ‏@OlympicHckyNews 22m
Roberto Luongo (Canada) suffered a high ankle sprain and was placed on IR. How does that affect Canada's goaltending in Sochi? More later...

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
He's not going to consistently put up high numbers without Malkin. I've seen it before, he did the exact same thing in Dallas. Richards would go out, he'd still produce and we'd think he could be great on his own. Then he' be crap for two to three weeks. When Neal was traded from Dallas, he was on a lengthy cold streak, almost a month long after being PPG after 30 games. Neal just isn't consistent without a number one centre, and even so he still isn't always productive.

I'm pretty sure Team Canada has #1 centers, so I don't see your point. It's not like Neal will play with Craig Adams.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Oh I get it now, took me a while. You're a Stars fan. I know how you're feeling at the moment. If it relieves the pain, we haven't done the most rational trades every year either.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It seems like the consensus here is that Joe Thornton will not be on the team. I get the big ice argument and all, but is Canada really going to leave the NHL's 4th top point scorer home?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
CBC Olympics ‏@CBCOlympics 28m
Canucks' Roberto Luongo out again on eve of Olympic selection, although Canada can replace injured players by Feb. 12 http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/roberto-luongo-out-with-injury-again-eve-olympic-selection.html …

Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank 23m
Sounding more and more like Luongo will be out for 2-6 weeks with high ankle sprain. Hurting not only VAN but CND as well for Olympics

Olympic Hockey News ‏@OlympicHckyNews 22m
Roberto Luongo (Canada) suffered a high ankle sprain and was placed on IR. How does that affect Canada's goaltending in Sochi? More later...

If they have unitl Feb. 12 to replace players, I don't see why they wouldn't just announce he's on the team and if he's still injured by then they can replace him.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
It seems like the consensus here is that Joe Thornton will not be on the team. I get the big ice argument and all, but is Canada really going to leave the NHL's 4th top point scorer home?

Yes, we are. In December 2009 Brad Richards, St. Louis and Stamkos were each sitting in the top-10 in NHL scoring. Stamkos was leading the NHL in goals. None made the team.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Take away the 12 points in 5 games. That's 22 points in 19 games. Above a PPG. What's your point? Haha

The argument that "he's only doing well becuase he's with Crosby/Malkin is absolutely moot because he's going to be playing on team canada (in case you didn't know, they usually have some good talent)

Trying to knock Neal is absolutely ridiculous. The guy puts the puck in the net and produces. In tournaments like this you want guys that are going to go out there and get points

In 19 games. Not a very good sample size. We can extend that hot streak back farther than five games but then I'd probably get someone suggesting I was trying to make his numbers look worse than they are.

Neal does well because he's a talented player who benefits from having elite talented players around him. It usually takes awhile for that chemistry to develop. Two week tournament the place to develop that chemistry? Probably not. There's more talented more consistent players to pick from. Neal being on the team wouldn't be a travesty like it would if Kunitz makes the team, but he's not entitled to be there like some here think.

And by the way, before this hot streak, almost no one was even saying his name. I've had him on some of my mock ups for the team so don't act like I'm saying he's no good without Malkin.

Or maybe he's just a better player at 26 than he was at 23? And I say that as someone who watches him play every game and has been fairly critical of parts of his game in the past. What he's doing isn't just a hot streak. He's been fairly incredible productivity-wise for the past few seasons and he's finally added the defensive effort and hard work along the boards to his game. I think this term is tired and overused, but it's accurate...the man has been an absolute beast for a long while now. He's a more complete player than he was when he came to the Pens in just about every aspect of the game. Dismissing it as a "hot streak" is false.

Then again I really don't care who gets picked for Team Canada and if they don't take him and he gets time off that benefits the Pens, so...

Obviously he's a better player, but the same issues he had in Dallas still exist in Pittsburgh. The skills he had developed, but the core problems inherent with his game are still there.

And yes what he is doing is a hot streak. He's not a 1.42 PPG player. That would be insane to suggest. I'd argue he's closer to an .85 PPG (~70 points) player than a PPG player. He's still an inconsistent player who is prone to going on long sabbaticals from production.

I'm pretty sure Team Canada has #1 centers, so I don't see your point. It's not like Neal will play with Craig Adams.

Point addressed above. It takes awhile for Neal to develop chemistry with players. Two week tournament is not enough time to ensure he's a lock. He's a bubble player and I don't think he makes the team anymore.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
If they have unitl Feb. 12 to replace players, I don't see why they wouldn't just announce he's on the team and if he's still injured by then they can replace him.

2-6 weeks may be optimistic, but that'll depend on the MRI results.

For grade 1 and 2 sprains treated without surgery, it may take six weeks or longer until you are able to resume athletic activities. For grade 2 and 3 sprains treated with surgery, return to sports can take several months.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Nice to see TSN's projected roster is identical to the one I have been posting here the last few weeks/months (lines are different but all same players except I have PK on team)

TSN has...

Goaltenders:

Carey Price, Roberto Luongo and Mike Smith

Defence:

(Left) - (Right)

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty

Jay Bouwmeester - Shea Weber

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Alex Pietrangelo

Dan Boyle (R) - P.K. Subban

Forwards:

(Left Wing - Centre - Right Wing)

Logan Couture - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos

Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry

Matt Duchene - Ryan Getzlaf - Claude Giroux

Patrick Sharp - John Tavares - Rick Nash

Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis

Where I been saying...

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Duchene- Getzlaf- Perry
Sharp- Toews- Girioux
Benn- Bergeron- Nash
Tavares/Couture

Keith-Weber
Petro-Jbow
Doughty-Subban
Boyle/Vlasic

Price
Luongo
Smith

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Nice to see TSN's projected roster is identical to the one I have been posting here the last few weeks/months (lines are different but all same players except I have PK on team)

Where I been saying...

Stamkos - Crosby - MSL
Duchene- Getzlaf- Perry
Sharp- Toews- Girioux
Benn- Bergeron- Nash
Tavares/Couture

Keith-Weber
Petro-Jbow
Doughty-Subban
Boyle/Vlasic

Price
Luongo
Smith

TSN has far better lines. And their lines weren't even real.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
In 19 games. Not a very good sample size. We can extend that hot streak back farther than five games but then I'd probably get someone suggesting I was trying to make his numbers look worse than they are.

Are you kidding me!? You were just presented with stats over the past 3 seasons and you discounted them. What kind of sample size do you want!?

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
TSN has far better lines. And their lines weren't even real.

Not sure, Kenny Holland himself said on the show "Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry" would be a hell of a line and I been thinking that before that was aired.

Plus MSL-Crosby-Stamkos seems like a no brainer, as well as Sharp-Toews-Girioux... only thing I wasn't sure of the lines I have is 4th with Nash being 4th line RW, not really his forte but I think he can do it.

How would you line it up?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Just watched a clip on Sportsnet where they had Kunitz as a lock according to their sources.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hearsay-stamkos-feels-st-louis-deserves-team-canada-nod/

Not a fan of Kunitz on the team. Where does he go and what does he give you if Crosby's line doesn't produce early? Not to take anything away from him as a player, but he's a product of Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins IMO. No guarantee that translates to the Olympics in a completely different environment (coaching staff, big ice, talent pool).

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Didn't realize Cam Ward is back on IR as well. Assuming no #3 (yet) and Luongo can't go, Canada is likely going to have to take two of: Corey Crawford, Mike Smith, and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Are you kidding me!? You were just presented with stats over the past 3 seasons and you discounted them. What kind of sample size do you want!?

Small sample size is bad. Using multiple seasons production out of context to prove a hot streak is just his regular player (Which it wasn't) is also bad. Stats in context is the most important factor.

Not sure, Kenny Holland himself said on the show "Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry" would be a hell of a line and I been thinking that before that was aired.

Plus MSL-Crosby-Stamkos seems like a no brainer, as well as Sharp-Toews-Girioux... only thing I wasn't sure of the lines I have is 4th with Nash being 4th line RW, not really his forte but I think he can do it.

How would you line it up?

Tavares is absolutely going to play a regular role on the team. No chance he's a 13th forward. It's more likely he gets the second most ice time of any forward on the team rather than being a 13th forward.

Burnaby_Joe*

Small sample size is bad. Using multiple seasons production out of context to prove a hot streak is just his regular player (Which it wasn't) is also bad. Stats in context is the most important factor.

Tavares is absolutely going to play a regular role on the team. No chance he's a 13th forward. It's more likely he gets the second most ice time of any forward on the team rather than being a 13th forward.

I doubt it. I imagine Toews will get more ice time than him.

SquishtheBoudreau

Nov 7, 2013
Tannhäuser Gate
Not a fan of Kunitz on the team. Where does he go and what does he give you if Crosby's line doesn't produce early? Not to take anything away from him as a player, but he's a product of Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins IMO. No guarantee that translates to the Olympics in a completely different environment (coaching staff, big ice, talent pool).

I guess you could scratch him and put in one of the extra forwards. But yeah, I don't want him on the team either. Imagine what Duchene, Couture, etc would be doing on Crosby's wing if they had that advantage like Kunitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad