Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XII - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
He's a fast skater, but not particularly strong...he can get knocked off his feet and muscled off the puck at times...but he moves well.

People keep knocking him because they claim he's a product of Malkin. Can't that be said about everyone on this list? Perry plays with Getzlaf. St. Louis plays with Stamkos. Sharp plays with Toews. Kunitz plays with Crosby. Couture plays with Thornton. I don't get why Neal gets singled out (well, Neal and Kunitz) as being a product of his line.

So false it isn't even funny.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Goals among Can wingers, last 3 seasons: Neal, 77; Perry, 75; Kunitz, 71; Couture, 66; Sharp, 64; St. Louis, 59; Nash, 58, Benn 52.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Switch Nash for Neal, Carter or Seguin. Never been a fan of Nash and he hasn't had a very good showing this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It wouldn't be a big omission at all. :laugh:

Hall is not making the team.

Leaving a top 20 scorer in the league off of any team is a big omission. The fact is, that Canada is deep enough that good players will be left off the team in every position. But, Hall certainly has made an argument for himself for being on the team. That said, I agree he won't make the team (hence the word "omission"),

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I haven't watched enough of the others to say definitively whether Seabrook does or does not belong on the team over them, but he just hasn't had the Team Canada buzz around him and his improved play is so overshadowed by how well Keith is doing that I would not be surprised at all to see Seabrook left off the roster.

I agree he doesn't have the buzz that Keith has right now. But I don't see what the 3 additions to the team I mentioned have done to prove themselves better than Seabrook over the last 4 seasons. I look at Seabrook like a given to keep his spot, hopefully the team Canada guys do too. He's 5th in D scoring right now (3rd among Canadians), he's +22 (1st among all dmen in the NHL), and would be the 2nd most physical blueliner after Weber if PK Subban doesn't make the team. Throw in 9 years of chemistry with Keith and they should be a lock for Canada's #1 pairing. What more does he have to do?

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I hope they have a write up the size of the USA one because if Neal/Hall gets left off, I'd like to read why.

Hall with his speed should be on the team. Unless the really want to rely on experience. Not too familiar with his defensive play as much so maybe that could be it?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Would rather see Seabrook, Phaneuf, or M. Staal over Boyle

Yeah I don't get why they aren't considering Phaneuf. When he plays in the worlds he always plays well, he was great in the world juniors for Canada awhile ago. He's better than some of those guys on the left. I guess they think those guys are safer though. Or some other dumb explanation.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah I don't get why they aren't considering Phaneuf. When he plays in the worlds he always plays well, he was great in the world juniors for Canada awhile ago. He's better than some of those guys on the left. I guess they think those guys are safer though. Or some other dumb explanation.

Mobility on the big ice is a big reason.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
For people saying Hall gives up the puck too much, he is also 13th in the league in takeaways.. So there's that

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I think the biggest omission will end up being Taylor Hall. His defensive game certainly is lacking when compared to the rest of the team, which is why he will likely be left off, but it will certainly be an interesting debate.

As per the players listed on the team, if Rick Nash gets ice time over Bergeron or St. Louis, I'll be angry. He's never lived up to his potential, and in my opinion, doesn't deserve to be on the team this time around.

A bit surprised to see Vlasic on the list over Seabrook, but the the defense core looks great to me regardless of which of those two make it.

And no, OP, Seabrook shouldn't be there over Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester.

What have Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester ever done to warrant taking Seabrook's spot? Pietrangelo is a faster skater and that's about it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wish these threads were a video conference call so I could see the trembling lower lips of the homers.

Evergreen

I would easily take Carter over Nash. Better skater and better defensively. Nash has been a huge disappointment this year.

OP is off his rocker if he thinks Pietrangelo doesn't deserve a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad