2013 OHL Draft Picks Signed/ Committed

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.

Bulls get 2 2nd rounders and a 5th! But here the thing sean, the smaller market teams are for the most part shying away from US players because they can't afford them not to come, if they stick to drafting only Ontario kids, they are more likely to report. That's all

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Bulls get 2 2nd rounders and a 5th!

Regardless if we include the 3rd second rounder on the condition or not, you have taken a 6th round pick and turned it into 2 2nds and a 5th. I don't see the negative there.

On top of that, you have forced the Knights to move three assets to get the kid. Those picks can no longer be used to upgrade their roster. Had the Bulls simply stood back and allowed the Knights to do what they want, they would have had the player and the assets they moved for him. Its a huge win for the Bulls and those who want to compete with the Knights.

Just for illustration purposes, here are the 2009, 2010 and 2011 Drafts from the 7th round and on....your telling me you the Bulls can't afford to take these guys in that area? Look at the returns that they got from those picks. That's not a Bulls issue, its an OHL issue, rarely do these drafts yield much that helps the team. I bet most teams mid to late rounds look similar. They hit a home run on Subban and did well with Graham, but other then that?

I fail to see how using a few mid round picks on high end Americans would hurt them.

7 127 Charlie Graham G Don Mills Flyers Min. Midget Belleville Bulls
8 143 Viktor Meuller LC Toronto Marlboros Min. Midget Oakville Rangers Midget
9 167 Connor Laird LD Whitby Wildcats Min. Midget
10 187 Jordan Brown LD Halton Hurricanes Min. Midget Aurora Tigers Jr. A
12 227 Tim Pandachuck LC Quinte Red Devils Min. Midget Picton Pirates Jr. C
13 247 Connor McKenzie LW TPH Thunder
14 267 Stuart Pomeroy RD Chicago Young Americans U16
15 287 Braydon Banitsiotis G Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs Min. Midget Stouffville Spirit Jr. A

7 122 Deric Boudreau RW Ottawa 67's Min. Midget Gatineau Olympiques
8 142 Matt Ross LD Elgin Middlesex Chiefs Min. Midget London Nationals Jr. B
9 162 Michael Montford LD Central Ontario Wolves Min. Midget Pickering Panthers Jr. A
10 182 Miguel Lavoie RW Thunder Bay Kings Min. Midget
11 202 Cole Bolton RW Quinte Red Devils Min. Midget Wellington Dukes Jr. A
12 222 Erick DeLaurentis RW Markham Waxers Min. Midget Wellington Dukes Jr. A
13 242 Connor Armour LC Whitby Wildcats Min. Midget Cobourg Cougars Jr. A
15 282 Troy Josephs LW Whitby Wildcats Min. Midget St. Michael's Buzzers Jr. A

7 136 Matt Moes RW St. Catharines Falcons Jr. B
8 158 Cole Murduff (PBO) LD Peterborough Petes Min. Midget Lindsay Muskies Jr. A
9 178 Philipe Doucet LW Ottawa Valley Titans Min. Midget
10 198 Steven Deeg RW Ajax Pickering Raiders Min. Midget Whitby Fury Jr. A
11 218 Malcolm Subban G Toronto Marlboros Min. Midget Belleville Bulls
12 238 Dillan Walker RD Brantford 99'ers Min. Midget Coquitlam Express Jr. A
13 258 Nikolas Van Essen LW Ottawa Valley Titans Min. Midget
14 278 Ryan Logan LD Ajax Pickering Raiders Min. Midget Whitby Fury Jr. A
15 298 Eric Wintjes RD Central Ontario Wolves Min. Midget

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Regardless, the high end US players, before the draft will tell the smaller market teams that they are going NCAA route. Then tada they are picked by london, windsor or kitchener. Personally I say every player should sign into the draft if they intend to go to the O, if they don't sign then they don't play. Just a thought

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Bulls get 2 2nd rounders and a 5th! But here the thing sean, the smaller market teams are for the most part shying away from US players because they can't afford them not to come, if they stick to drafting only Ontario kids, they are more likely to report. That's all

The Bulls got 3 conditional 2nds and a 5th, we don't know for sure what the conditions were for the 2nd's you are just going by London fan hearsay. In 2008 when the Bulls aquired A J Perry the London fans were adament that one of the Bulls young players was going to London the following year like in the Steve Mason trade, but that never materilzed. I am not saying that Belleville didn't lose the one second reound pick but only the GM's know that for sure. Now if only they can do the same with USNDP product Joe Wegwearth that would be better. Belleville has never backed off a player just because they were going the US college route and so far it has worked out for them, Eric Tangradi, Aaron Berisha, and now lots of good picks for McCarron. Look what they did with three 2nds last year it got them Alan Quine and right now there is a strong chance he will be back this year.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Regardless, the high end US players, before the draft will tell the smaller market teams that they are going NCAA route. Then tada they are picked by london, windsor or kitchener. Personally I say every player should sign into the draft if they intend to go to the O, if they don't sign then they don't play. Just a thought

I just showed you how little return teams get in the bottom half of the draft, what's stopping you from picking these guys again? Sure, they may not show up, but neither are the guys your drafting. Keeping them off the 'have' teams would be just as valuable as drafting players who don't turn out....

You can be the the team that does nothing and complain, or you can do something. I certainly like option two ;)

Last edited:

arsmaster*

The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.

But getting punched in the face in a scrum is supposed to be against the rules.

I don't follow the logic.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

You're asking a 15/16 year old to commit up to the next five years of his life to a league where he isnt even sure he will make it, let alone enjoy his time there. Players deserve to keep their options open. I dislike what London and Kitchener do as much as anyone but the "small-market" teams just feed them by not drafting these players. I wish Erie pushed harder for American-born players.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
IceDogs have now signed their first 5 draft picks from the 2013 draft (McCool, Wilkie, Knott, Sarris, and Corneil)

Anyone know how many 16 year olds a team can have on their roster?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
IceDogs have now signed their first 5 draft picks from the 2013 draft (McCool, Wilkie, Knott, Sarris, and Corneil)

A team is allowed to register 4- 16 year olds with the league
They can sign as many 16 year olds as they drafted but can only keep 4

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

You can have up to four players on the team from the latest draft. Example: Erie had McDavid, Petit, Felker, and Hodgson on the roster this past season. Its quite possible we would have had more if not for this rule (ex: Lattavo/Raddysh).

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA

Pretty much how it works is that teams are entitled to sign players that were drafted in the 1st and 2nd round, along with two wildcards (players from any round). A maximum of four plays can be signed under A contracts which allow them to play the full duration of the 68 game season, while other players can be signed but under B contracts which deem the player as an affiliate/floating player, which allow them to play a maximum of 10 games. A player can play a maximum of 5 games without a contract, but once the play a 6th game a contract must be signed.

Last edited:

hockeyniagara

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto (usually)
A team is allowed to register 4- 16 year olds with the league
They can sign as many 16 year olds as they drafted but can only keep 4

Just a note here. Totally correct that teams can keep 4 sixteen year olds but goalies do not count toward that through some OHL rule.

FYI - Dunda has now signed with Plymouth as well and has a spot on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad