2013 OHL Draft Picks Signed/ Committed

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
@SeanLafortune: The Petes have called a press conference this afternoon, dont be shocked if if they announce the signing of 1st round pick Matt Spencer.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
Noticed Rangers signed 8th round pick Pederson.

Curious, do teams normally sign their 8th round picks in June before they've even seen them play at main camp?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Jesse Saban (2nd round pick) offically signed with the Otters. Cole Mayo is believed to be close.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Lets not get to carried away ;)

Odds are you'll see Jordan in Plymouth next year, he is committed to the US U17 program, can't commit anywhere in the OHL this year.

He can get bought out of the program thou? $50,000?
Sean, what's your take on the recent uproar about some media reports about what the league should do about the ongoing trend of US players flocking to the Knights?

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
He can get bought out of the program thou? $50,000?
Sean, what's your take on the recent uproar about some media reports about what the league should do about the ongoing trend of US players flocking to the Knights?

Im not sure the specifics, but there is a way to get out, hence the Ryan MacInnis move. I do believe there is a 15 day window to opt out without having to pay the fee, don't quote me thou.

Im not sure its a trend, they have signed Dvorak, Mermis, Braodhurst and Stolarz? Storlarz was undrafted after two OHL Drafts, that's on the rest of the league, they didn't give him the time of day. So was Dvorak to be honest, a top 80 talent who fell to the 8th round. Mermis was a top 40 guy who fell past the 10th round. We all know the Broadhurst connection. Look at the rate of return on guys past the 8th round (something less then 60 OHL games per pic, depth guys who can be replaceable), is ridiculous that top 40 guys are passed over for, at best, long shots. Its a flawed strategy.

Want to stop the Knights from getting top US players? Draft them before they do, Belleville did it, the Storm are starting to do it. You can lie back, complain and do nothing, or you can get aggressive and do something about it. Respect the teams like Guelph who don't take option 1.

That said, the core of the Knights, guys like Tierney, Horvat, the Ruperts, Anderson, Elie, Platzer et all where just smart picks. Anyone could have had them. Anderson went undrafted twice as well. Can't fault them for making intelligent selections that payed off.

Last edited:

poisonivy

05, 12, 13 Champs
May 18, 2013
Im not sure the specifics, but there is a way to get out, hence the Ryan MacInnis move. I do believe there is a 15 day window to opt out without having to pay the fee, don't quote me thou.

Im not sure its a trend, they have signed Dvorak, Mermis, Braodhurst and Stolarz? Storlarz was undrafted after two OHL Drafts, that's on the rest of the league, they didn't give him the time of day. So was Dvorak to be honest, a top 80 talent who fell to the 8th round. Mermis was a top 40 guy who fell past the 10th round. We all know the Broadhurst connection. Look at the rate of return on guys past the 8th round (something less then 60 OHL games per pic, depth guys who can be replaceable), is ridiculous that top 40 guys are passed over for, at best, long shots. Its a flawed strategy.

Want to stop the Knights from getting top US players? Draft them before they do, Belleville did it, the Storm are starting to do it. You can lie back, complain and do nothing, or you can get aggressive and do something about it. Respect the teams like Guelph who don't take option 1.

That said, the core of the Knights, guys like Tierney, Horvat, the Ruperts, Anderson, Elie, Platzer et all where just smart picks. Anyone could have had them. Anderson went undrafted twice as well. Can't fault them for making intelligent selections that payed off.

Every championship team is built from within. There are added perks when you have a good track record, a good University and a geographical advantage. Let's not forget that even London can't get every prospect (Clendening, Balisy, Louis, Hamilton, MacAdam, Piccinich just to name a few from recent drafts).
Don't know what people want the OHL to do to London, Kitchener, Windsor, Plymouth. Keep them from drafting and dilute the talent level even more?

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012

I see your point sean, but I (maybe selfish thou) am saying we do select some very good US players, but just can't seem to get them here. Being a small market team, I think its surely a tougher sell, unlike the likes of London, Kitchener and Windsor.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
I see your point sean, but I (maybe selfish thou) am saying we do select some very good US players, but just can't seem to get them here. Being a small market team, I think its surely a tougher sell, unlike the likes of London, Kitchener and Windsor.

The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
london has a huge edge with U.S. kids; proximity to U.S., huge building, big attendance, big university town. There is no small market team that can compete on that level, and all 20 teams cant be within hours of the mid west states, where the majority of U.S. Players come from.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The Knights miss out on more players then they sign, I bet it's a 4-1 ratio on hits and misses with US players. The Bulls do draft the odd US player, but the commitment isn't at the sane level. The Knights are relentless with recruiting and staying in contact with potential recruits, I'm not sure that can be said about all teams.

How did the McCarron trade work out for you? Turning a 6th round pick into 3 2nds? If I'm running an OHL team, I want more US draft picks on my reserve list, make the Knights pay with assets as opposed to simply backing off and shrugging your shoulders.

The US/London debate reminds me of a player who gets punched on the face in a scrum. You can look to the ref, complaining while you continue to get punched, or you can punch back. We all know how fans hate players who don't stick up for themselves. It's good to see teams like Guelph and Belleville not simply complaining to the 'ref' and starting to punch back. It's not as hard as you think.

You're 100% correct!
The Kitcheners and Londons want to thank the other teams for not drafting the higher end kids......and fans keep wondering about the discrepancy in the league???
Draft them and if they don't want to report to your team....trade them to a city they will report to and recoup that position if not higher x 2!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Every championship team is built from within. There are added perks when you have a good track record, a good University and a geographical advantage.

Sean may take issue with what I'm about to say....but being on 401 corridor and based in London, Kitchener and Guelph allows the kids to be more exposed to NHL scouts! (which can be good or bad for some players!)

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Sean may take issue with what I'm about to say....but being on 401 corridor and based in London, Kitchener and Guelph allows the kids to be more exposed to NHL scouts! (which can be good or bad for some players!)

Not all all, there is truth there. But, Scouts will go where the players are (but I get that sometimes players don't get that). I was in Owen Sound 5 times last year, NHL guys are there more.

It still goes back to why sit on your hands and let those teams dictate things? Draft the kid and make London/Kitchener et all pay with assets. Draft them, do what you can on getting them signed, but if you can't, then trade him to a team that can. Even if he doesn't report to the OHL, what's the loss? An 8th round pick? What's the average return on an 8th rounder? Its not a lot.

My biggest issue continues to be that some are just happy to complain. I'd rather fight back. I'm not going to just let the 'have' teams go ahead and draft these kids late, I'm going to fight back and draft them first. If the come, great, if not, at least you force the 'have' teams hands. Your not simply allowing them to do what they want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad