2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
These games were on at the same time. How can the viewers be counted towards both? It's hard to believe that the Kings series almost had as many viewers as the Canucks.
It is a combined rating of both games, just like in the regular season with split-telecasts. Viewers in Alberta, BC, and Yukon saw one game and the rest of Canada saw the other game and the two areas add up to that total. Viewers were able to see both games during the intermission, viewers were to the other game until the next period would start.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
A lot of people love to sniff at the Canadian ratings and maybe the NHL back in the day, but as of now its a cash cow, with CBC'S contract up and after seeing what the Leafs just drew in the first round? Well that price just went up big time! Trust me Bell or Rogers would love nothing better to do than snipe those Saturday night games and having first choice for Leafs games in the playoffs or a Canadian vs Canadian showdown. Also, these local deals for regional coverage are going to be going up like crazy.

Also, to me what was a great sign a couple years ago when you had Vancouver/Boston in the finals. Now granted you had Boston and it went 7 games, but those drew some record ratings. To me that showed the NHL had build some kind of sustaining interest in their game. To have one Canadian team and you still did those numbers.....pretty impressive. We couldn't of said this 5 years ago. Just so happy with NBC.:)

I'll say that doubles easily! Maybe more or you might see CBC align with Rogers. The Leafs game for a game 7 did 5 mill! That is crazy! It peaked at a crazy number. Bell and Rogers are definitely taking notes...........
Game 7 of the Leafs and Bruins was amazing and 2 years ago, game 7 of the Habs and Bruins was also over 5 million when adding the RDS numbers. Notice how all these high numbers are because of the Bruins being the opposing team.

Iglooicings

May 15, 2013
Steve Lepore just tweeted 1.0 million viewers for Fridays Pens-Sens game on NBCSN. It was also reported that the local Pittsburgh rating was 19 something. Earlier the Pittsburgth Tribune-Review printed that in Round 1 against the Islandeers the Pens averaged 21.3 or 665,000 local viewers. That would suggest that Fridays 19 something meant roughly 600,000 local viewers. This would leave just 400,000 viewers for the all the rest of the country, i.e., outside of the Pittsburgh area. It does not seem believable that there would be more viewers in the smallish Pittsburgh area (2.5 million) than the entire rest of the country (300 million +) combined, even though the Pens were involved. Can anybody explain?

ebox99

May 8, 2009
Steve Lepore just tweeted 1.0 million viewers for Fridays Pens-Sens game on NBCSN. It was also reported that the local Pittsburgh rating was 19 something. Earlier the Pittsburgth Tribune-Review printed that in Round 1 against the Islandeers the Pens averaged 21.3 or 665,000 local viewers. That would suggest that Fridays 19 something meant roughly 600,000 local viewers. This would leave just 400,000 viewers for the all the rest of the country, i.e., outside of the Pittsburgh area. It does not seem believable that there would be more viewers in the smallish Pittsburgh area (2.5 million) than the entire rest of the country (300 million +) combined, even though the Pens were involved. Can anybody explain?

That's what I've been trying to say in my earlier post, NHL gets great local ratings but poor national draw. 400K for rest of country might seem 'good' by hockey standard but it's really low considering it's the second round.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 7h
NBCSN drew an astonishing 25.6 for Pens/Sens G3 in Pittsburgh, the highest rating ever for a 2nd round NBCSN telecast in Pittsburgh.

Steve Lepore Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 7h
NBC drew a 15.8 in Boston for NYR/BOS G2, the highest-rated second round game ever in Boston on NBC.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Any local ratings for game two in NY for NYR-BOS?

Also, Steve Lapore, I guess it is best to get info from him on twitter not his SB page?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Game 7 of the Leafs and Bruins was amazing and 2 years ago, game 7 of the Habs and Bruins was also over 5 million when adding the RDS numbers. Notice how all these high numbers are because of the Bruins being the opposing team.

lol yeah I'm sure that's the main reason people tuned in -- because the Bruins were playing. Not because it was an O6 matchup featuring a Canadian team vs. its division rival.

Do you think if the Leafs and Habs play against one another in the playoffs that the ratings will not reach that amount because the Bruins are not in it?

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Big ratings weekend.

1.9 = 2.7 million overnight. Will be 2,525,000 million at the least.
1.4 = 2.0 to 2.1 million overnight. Good for 1,900,000 million at the least.

Two of the highest-profile NHL playoff series in recent memory failed to give NBC a boost in the overnights over the weekend.
Game 2 of the Rangers/Bruins second round Stanley Cup playoff series earned a 1.9 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, even with Devils/Flyers Game 1 last year (1.9), but up 19% from Red Wings/Sharks Game 2 in 2011 (1.6).

The 1.9 is the highest of the postseason for the NHL on NBC.

On Saturday, Game 2 between the Red Wings and Blackhawks drew a 1.4 overnight — down a tick from both Rangers/Capitals Game 1 last year (1.5) and Bruins/Flyers Game 1 in 2011 (1.5).

Keep in mind Red Wings/Blackhawks began at 1 PM ET to accommodate NBC’s coverage of The Preakness Stakes. Last year’s game started at 3 PM.

So far, four of the five Stanley Cup playoff windows on NBC have had declines in overnight ratings compared to last year.

Friday cable game: pulled 1,000,000

NHL SEMI FINALS L NBCSN 7:30 PM 1000 0.4

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13h
NBCSN drew an astonishing 25.6 for Pens/Sens G3 in Pittsburgh, the highest rating ever for a 2nd round NBCSN telecast in Pittsburgh.

holy crap.
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13h

NBC drew a 15.8 in Boston for NYR/BOS G2, the highest-rated second round game ever in Boston on NBC.

Out standing.

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 14h

In the battle of stuff that lasted a really long time last night: Tigers/Rangers on ESPN (1.3) barely edged Pens/Sens on NBCSN (1.1).

1.1 on cable = 1.4 million viewers.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Steve Lapore @stevelapore Red Wings have been so-so TV ratings-wise so far in Detroit. Maybe a series lead turns it around. Tigers Sunday Night game out-rated Game 2.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 30m
Chicago drew an 8.2 for Game 3, up from G2. Top outside markets: Pittsburgh (2.5), Buffalo (2.1), Vegas (1.7), San Diego/Ft. Myers (1.5)

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 32m
After some not-so-great numbers for G1-2, Detroit is in. A 15.3 for Game 3 combined between NBCSN (11.1) and CBC (4.2).

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
I love me some Chicago, but 8.2? which is still good. Though, I thought maybe a 10? with it being a open Monday night slot. No competition, game 3. Interesting to see how many people will watch game 4 in Chicago after Detroit just beat them? I'm sure some fans thought that series would be a cake walk........It looks good for this series to maybe average close to 2.5mill with it going 6 and maybe 7 games?

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
1.4mill for Sens/Penguins is awesome! NBC must of been happy with a few extra hours of having an audience staying on for that duration. Their getting their monies worth now........

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I love me some Chicago, but 8.2? which is still good. Though, I thought maybe a 10? with it being a open Monday night slot. No competition, game 3. Interesting to see how many people will watch game 4 in Chicago after Detroit just beat them? I'm sure some fans thought that series would be a cake walk........It looks good for this series to maybe average close to 2.5mill with it going 6 and maybe 7 games?

Assuming Chicago wins game 4, the Saturday primetime game may do very well for NBC.

Iglooicings

May 15, 2013
After some not-so-great numbers for G1-2, Detroit is in. A 15.3 for Game 3 combined between NBCSN (11.1) and CBC (4.2).

Lepore also tweeted: “Quality aside, it's still crazy that NBC is paying $200M a year to not get exclusivity in two of the biggest hockey markets (DET/BUF).â€

Can anybody enlighten me on the cable systems in the Detroit and Buffalo areas on both sides of the border? It is my understanding that those on the Canadian side cannot receive the cable sports channels that carry all the regular season games of the Wings and Sabres. Does that mean that Canadian fans of those teams just across the respective rivers in Windsor and Ft. Erie cannot watch most of their local teams’ regular season games on TV? If the answer is yes, that stinks. It appears from the tweets that the cable systems on the American side do carry the CBC so that Americans have a choice of watching some playoff games on either MSNBC or the CBC. Is that correct?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Big ratings weekend.

1.9 = 2.7 million overnight. Will be 2,525,000 million at the least.
1.4 = 2.0 to 2.1 million overnight. Good for 1,900,000 million at the least.

Friday cable game: pulled 1,000,000

NHL SEMI FINALS L NBCSN 7:30 PM 1000 0.4

The early starts hurt all the ratings nationally. I'm on the west coast, so a 10 AM start. Yes, I tuned in, but I never miss a Wings game if I can help it.

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 30m
Chicago drew an 8.2 for Game 3, up from G2. Top outside markets: Pittsburgh (2.5), Buffalo (2.1), Vegas (1.7), San Diego/Ft. Myers (1.5)

Lepore also tweeted: “Quality aside, it's still crazy that NBC is paying $200M a year to not get exclusivity in two of the biggest hockey markets (DET/BUF).â€

Can anybody enlighten me on the cable systems in the Detroit and Buffalo areas on both sides of the border? It is my understanding that those on the Canadian side cannot receive the cable sports channels that carry all the regular season games of the Wings and Sabres. Does that mean that Canadian fans of those teams just across the respective rivers in Windsor and Ft. Erie cannot watch most of their local teams’ regular season games on TV? If the answer is yes, that stinks. It appears from the tweets that the cable systems on the American side do carry the CBC so that Americans have a choice of watching some playoff games on either MSNBC or the CBC. Is that correct?

Yes. I'm in Washington state and have been watching the Wings on the CBC feed (Vancouver). My provider is Comcast. Michigan Comcast also carried CBC from Windsor.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

You can be one mile from Joe Louis and to see the Wings you would need to buy Center Ice to get FS Detroit.

The former Empire Network did get a waiver from Canada's CRTC to show Sabres games in Ontario but it hasn't been allowed since. Of course you can get Leafs TV in Windsor.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
Who Are the Networks Rooting For?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324102604578495390795244484.html

Without Heat, a Chilly June

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible NBA Finals matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. San Antonio vs. Miami 16.0 million
2. Memphis vs. Miami 14.0
3. San Antonio vs. Indiana 8.5
4. Memphis vs. Indiana 8.0

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible Stanley Cup matchups for TV:

1. Pittsburgh vs. Detroit 6.5 million
2. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago 6.0
3. Boston vs. Chicago 5.5
3. Boston vs. Detroit 5.5
5. Boston vs. L.A. 5.0
6. NY Rangers vs. Chicago4.5
6. NY Rangers vs. Detroit 4.5
6. Pittsburgh vs. L.A. 4.5
9. Pittsburgh vs. San Jose4.25
10. Ottawa vs. Detroit 4.0
10. Boston vs. San Jose 4.0
10. NY Rangers vs. L.A. 4.0
13. Ottawa vs. Chicago 3.75
13. NY Rangers vs. San Jose 3.75
15. Ottawa vs. L.A. 2.5
16. Ottawa vs. San Jose 1.75

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I wonder why a Detroit-Pens matchup would draw better than a Pens-Chicago matchup? Chicago is a far bigger market. I know the Wings have a fairly extensive national following, but you'd think you'd see that with Chicago as well, especially to a Cup run.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
I wonder why a Detroit-Pens matchup would draw better than a Pens-Chicago matchup? Chicago is a far bigger market. I know the Wings have a fairly extensive national following, but you'd think you'd see that with Chicago as well, especially to a Cup run.

Would be interesting to see NHL get it's best match up versus NBA's worst and see how rating compare.

Game 7 between Boston vs. Chicago might get 10M if 8M saw Vancouver and Boston.

Any combination of Pittsburg, Chicago, Boston, Detroit might get record ratings

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
Who Are the Networks Rooting For?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324102604578495390795244484.html

Without Heat, a Chilly June

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible NBA Finals matchups for TV:

1. San Antonio vs. Miami 16.0 million
2. Memphis vs. Miami 14.0
3. San Antonio vs. Indiana 8.5
4. Memphis vs. Indiana 8.0

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible Stanley Cup matchups for TV:

1. Pittsburgh vs. Detroit 6.5 million
2. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago 6.0
3. Boston vs. Chicago 5.5
3. Boston vs. Detroit 5.5
5. Boston vs. L.A. 5.0
6. NY Rangers vs. Chicago4.5
6. NY Rangers vs. Detroit 4.5
6. Pittsburgh vs. L.A. 4.5
9. Pittsburgh vs. San Jose4.25
10. Ottawa vs. Detroit 4.0
10. Boston vs. San Jose 4.0
10. NY Rangers vs. L.A. 4.0
13. Ottawa vs. Chicago 3.75
13. NY Rangers vs. San Jose 3.75
15. Ottawa vs. L.A. 2.5
16. Ottawa vs. San Jose 1.75

I totally disagree with some of these picks. The top 2 has to be these 2. I love Detroit, but Chicago right now is becoming the NHL's bread and butter from the west...... I think people forget that Boston/Vancouver did damn impressive numbers.... If you get a Chicago/Pitt or Chicago/Boston records will shattered guaranteed!!!!!!!

1) Pitt/Chicago
1a)Chicago/Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad