2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadaIsHockey

Apr 8, 2008
Laval, Qc. Canada
Since we will be having a season this year, let's make this the official TV Ratings thread for this season. I purposely omitted to put 2012 in the title.

Due to time restraints now, in the next day or so, I will put a resume of past season TV ratings to have a visual.

Here is hoping that we will get a lot more positives then negatives in this short season. Let's hope the lockout's damage is minimal.

Previous Ratings Threads:
2011-2012: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=977773
2010-2011: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=819013
2009-2010: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=679978
2008-2009: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=558601
2008 Playoffs: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=504895

Last edited:

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
I think the damage from the lockout will be medium to major and there will be a lot of negatives.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm hoping the lockout damage is not minimal. They should feel the hurt.

We as actual hockey fans can watch it regardless but I hope the NHL's wallets hurt even if it means a franchise or two folding. I for sure will not be subscribing to game centre, will watch through other means.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't care how popular it is, I'll be watching the hell out of it and if the league gets less money, good. This shouldn't go scott-free.

I just don't want the NHL on some random channel like Spike... So hopefully a couple of people are with me. :laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
The Canadian numbers probably won't have much change (once the massive spike they get for the first couple of weeks wears off.

My attention will be to the US numbers, both in "traditional" and "non-traditional" markets. We'll have to see how far the NHL has dropped off the radar of casual fans, and what it takes to get those numbers back.

I'm assuming this will be on a daily/weekly basis? It would be good to have an ongoing observation and discussion about the numbers from week to week.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
The Canadian numbers probably won't have much change (once the massive spike they get for the first couple of weeks wears off.

My attention will be to the US numbers, both in "traditional" and "non-traditional" markets. We'll have to see how far the NHL has dropped off the radar of casual fans, and what it takes to get those numbers back.

I'm assuming this will be on a daily/weekly basis? It would be good to have an ongoing observation and discussion about the numbers from week to week.

I think the markets that always do well in local ratings like Buff,Pitt,Det,etc will get huge local ratings just due to the excitement that hockey is back. Not sure how the other markets will do.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I'm very curious about the ratings of the NBA during the lockout of the NHL. Post their mid-season numbers when available.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I highly doubt NHL had any effect on the NBA. NBA lockout didn't have any effect on the NHL ratings.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think it was James Duthie who tweeted that TSN did huge numbers of the Sunday following the agreement when they have several hours of hockey coverage.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I predict record tv ratings for the first months, tails off in March and then gets to record levels again as the playoff races happen. If there is good playoff matchups, could be the most watched playoffs ever.

Next year will be the time where you can analyze real numbers. And compare it to a real season. This seasons numbers are an anomaly.

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
Official first post of season.

The Penguins‘ Black & Gold scrimmage registered a 6.67 Nielsen rating for Root Sports Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. That bested all prime-time programming on any network or cable station. About 210,000 regional viewers watched the scrimmage, Nielsen reported.

:handclap:

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
Best regular season (excluding Winter Classic) ratings ever for NBC and best in the past decade.

2.0 o'night for 2-game regional cov of Chi-LA & Pit-Phi is best 4 non-Winter Classic reg-season gm ever on NBC & up 67% vs '12 reg-seas avg

NBC's NHL coverage yesterday scores 2.0 overnight rating, best for non-Winter Classic regular-season game in decade (2002-ABC) #hockeyisback

Pittsburgh (19.4), Philadelphia (7.8) & Chicago (6.6) local ratings r best-ever for non-WC reg-season gms on NBC. LA (1.5) is best since '07

Hamilton Tigers

Mar 20, 2010
Hamilton
There was something special yesterday about watching the opening of the season so late (cuz of the lockout) It was exciting to tune in. never have that excitement in the fall.

Up here we got Ottawa at Winnipeg on CBC at 3pm, as well as NBC coverage of Chicago at L.A. and Pittsburgh at Philadelphia.

I love NBC's coverage. Mike Emrick is terrific!

HNIC's pre game coverage of the Toronto Montreal game was great as were the pre game ceremonies and hype.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Given the size of the market that's still a good many people watching in LA. Not as many as the other three cities (which are historically three of the American hockey powerhouses) there but certainly not insignificant. Estimated number of households watching:

Chicago: 230,528
Philadelphia: 230,117
Pittsburgh: 224,353
Los Angeles: 84,814

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Given the size of the market that's still a good many people watching in LA. Not as many as the other three cities (which are historically three of the American hockey powerhouses) there but certainly not insignificant. Estimated number of households watching:

Yea, I don't think it's a bad number or anything, it being regional, that is a pretty good amount of people watching. I guess I expected something a bit more-but yea taking into consideration the city, it's good :)

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012

That's definitely off. The Pens scrimmage got a 6.7 and 210,000+ viewers. The game got triple that rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad