2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
So you think they get $700M easily?

MOD

First of all, I want to apologize as when I saw your post on $325 I thought it meant that's what they paid annually already and figured it would double in general. They pay right now $100 mill the CBC that is. I heard on my local radio station it could be in that 400mill range which isn't bad if you take into account the 200 mill from American tv fees. That could be 20mill each team gets over national tv without selling a ticket and that doesn't include local tv deals.......Like I said maybe the CBC might have to have a joint relationship with Rogers to rub out Bell, but both Rogers and Bell own the Leafs so I'm not sure how that would go over?

But after the Leafs had that showing and did record shattering numbers. Boy that changes a lot of things. I believe.

Programming and filling your channel with content is getting very competitive. Imagine if the NHL could keep these ratings up for a couple more years on a trend and maybe they could get double that? Not far fetched.....

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Local ratings have been impressive but it seems TV growth appears to mainly be local. Factor out the local ratings in the national ratings and it's relatively low.

It's still far off NBA ratings and their ratings are off 40% this year.

You haven't been paying attention to the ratings information posted on this page, and you certainly haven'y been paying attention to ratings trends since the '04 lockout. National ratings (especially on cable) have grown at an astronomical rate. 50% year-over-year is absolutely insane, specially considering how strong last year's NHL playoff ratings were.

And what does the NBA have to do with anything? NBA ratings a complete joke compared to the NFL. If you are going to compare sports that have absolutely nothing to do with each other, look into those comparisons and be prepared to laugh your ass off at how pathetic the NBA is compared to the NFL.

ebox99

May 8, 2009
You haven't been paying attention to the ratings information posted on this page, and you certainly haven'y been paying attention to ratings trends since the '04 lockout. National ratings (especially on cable) have grown at an astronomical rate. 50% year-over-year is absolutely insane, specially considering how strong last year's NHL playoff ratings were.

And what does the NBA have to do with anything? NBA ratings a complete joke compared to the NFL. If you are going to compare sports that have absolutely nothing to do with each other, look into those comparisons and be prepared to laugh your ass off at how pathetic the NBA is compared to the NFL.

Yes, I understand where ratings have been over the years.

I'm just saying the 50% growth is due mainly to local boost from big cities still in the playoffs. The growth has not really been from other non playoff cities. Once the team drops out then the ratings drop. So, next year if small market teams are in the playoffs then the ratings will dramatically drop.

Also, 1st round numbers were down compared to last year so it's not as solid as you would like to believe.

Most comparisons on this board have been in regards to the NBA and not the NFL cause they are in their own stratosphere.

Under 2 million viewers for Boston/NY seems small considering the size of the markets involved. Hopefully, game 5, 6, 7 can break 3Million viewers.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Very doubtful NYR/BOS hits 3 million unless its an NBC game or a game 7.

Even an NBC game is unlikely.

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
Well today and tomorrow are two great openings for the NHL. The Bruins/Rangers is up against the Spurs/Grizz, but no Knicks to compete against. Then tomorrow in primetimes Hawks/Wings with no competition as everybody comes back from holidays. Could that game hit close to 2mill? With no Bulls to compete and NBA? We'll there are some windows open for the NHL.

ebox99

May 8, 2009

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
MOD: I deleted the talk about the NBA TV contract values. There's a thread on the BOH that discussed Stern's revenue estimates.

Nice find on the Kings' TV rights. Anybody know anything on Chicago/Pittsburgh/Boston/Detroit?

Check the sticky section for BOH data sources; and Forbes annual NHL business summaries by team.

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
I expect 2.5 with it being on NBC, two big markets, 2nd round and no competition in each cities market........

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
NBC has been around a 2.0 for the past few weeks on Saturday in primetime. There is no reason why the game this week can't at the very least be an average week for them.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Yes, I understand where ratings have been over the years.

With all due respect, I don't think you have a complete grasp of where ratings are now compared to where they have been historically - specifically where they were prior to the '04 lockout. The NHL is in a golden era as far as national ratings are concerned (especially on cable).

I'm just saying the 50% growth is due mainly to local boost from big cities still in the playoffs. The growth has not really been from other non playoff cities. Once the team drops out then the ratings drop. So, next year if small market teams are in the playoffs then the ratings will dramatically drop.

Of course big markets help. They do in every sport, and they certainly help sports like hockey and baseball that are very regional in nature.

Also, 1st round numbers were down compared to last year so it's not as solid as you would like to believe.

Really? Because regular season ratings were up to record levels on cable this year and up 15% on broadcast (NBC), including setting a new NBC record for a regular season game. These are increases on top of record (or near-record) ratings from previous seasons. The NBCSN ratings were the best cable ratings in nearly 20 years for the NHL. Spinning that as "bad" is pretty laughable.

The NHL has had extremely sold ratings for several years now. Over the past few years they have regularly been shattering records, whether it be regular season, playoffs, single-games, or Cup Finals. Simpy put: ratings are fantastic across the board. And they are light years beyond where even the most optimistic NHL supporter could have ever dreamed back in '04 when the game looked as good as dead in the US.

Most comparisons on this board have been in regards to the NBA and not the NFL cause they are in their own stratosphere.

Since when have NBA and NHL ratings been in the same stratosphere? It's a ridiculous comparison.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Look how big Minnesota and STL got for getting bounced so early.

Regular season 4.0 full season then 8-12 for playoff games.

shows mid market growth very big.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore2m
NHL Playoffs on NBC: Sat - DET/CHI: 1.4 (down from 1.5 for NYR/WSH last year). Sun - NYR/BOS: 1.9 (even with NJ/PHI last year).

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore59s
DET/CHI and NYR/BOS were both even or down from Conf. Semis last year, but way up from Conf. Final action that aired same weekend last year.

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore4m
In the battle of stuff that lasted a really long time last night: Tigers/Rangers on ESPN (1.3) barely edged Pens/Sens on NBCSN (1.1).

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore1m
NBC drew a 15.8 in Boston for NYR/BOS G2, the highest-rated second round game ever in Boston on NBC.

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore1m
NBCSN drew an astonishing 25.6 for Pens/Sens G3 in Pittsburgh, the highest rating ever for a 2nd round NBCSN telecast in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Oklahoma City was the 3rd best market for Bruins/Rangers Sunday.

We then discovered the game was preempted for tornado coverage :(

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
Would be interested to know the viewership. I'm sure we won't know that till a couple days maybe? I think Boston/NYR got over 2.5mill. And maybe Detroit/Chicago over 2mill......

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Any California ratings for GM3?

edit: nm
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 19 May

LA (1.8 to 1.9 to 1.9) and San Jose (2.6 to 2.0 to 2.0) both stayed even Game 2 to Game 3.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
guys, give poor IU a break :laugh:

Great rating for Boston/New York. Very interested to see where the bulk of that came from... a Boston/Pittsburgh final promises to break some records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad