Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I know it's just a forum but why do people bother arguing about trades that will never happen?

Like seriously what sense does that Winnipeg trade for both sides.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
Why can't we sign Clarkson anyway?

We probably can but the next year money will get tight. I just think long term if we want to keep Kessel, then we need to resign Bozak. Then we need money to re-sign Kessel to what will probably be 7.5 +. We also need money to resign Phaneuf and Reimer, and sign our restricted free agents, which we have a few Franson and Gunnarsson being the key ones.

Cap space is huge now a days, and unless we amnesty Grabovski, Liles or Komisarek, we will not be as great cap wise as most people think.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
We probably can but the next year money will get tight. I just think long term if we want to keep Kessel, then we need to resign Bozak. Then we need money to re-sign Kessel to what will probably be 7.5 +. We also need money to resign Phaneuf and Reimer, and sign our restricted free agents, which we have a few Franson and Gunnarsson being the key ones.

Cap space is huge now a days, and unless we amnesty Grabovski, Liles or Komisarek, we will not be as great cap wise as most people think.

I would say the chances of this are pretty good.

We have:
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Franson
Fraser (assuming he is healthy)

What we need is another steady d-man. We have tons of offence from Gardiner, Franson and Phaneuf; and all three are more reliable defensively (and occasionally throw some hits). Though I think there's also a good chance he gets traded.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
But it is not just a Kadri and Gardiner for Scheifele and Trouba trade.

I wouldn't do that trade from a Leafs perspective at this point.

It is the fact that we would also get Winnipeg's 1st round pick in a deep draft where we would also get another great prospect. And we would open up salary cap space to get a good free agent.

Scheifele, Trouba, 1st round pick and Good Free agent (Clarkson, Horton etc) is better than Kadri and Gardiner. Bottom line!

If you asked anyone in hockey, who knows hockey what they would you want

Nazem Kadri
Jake Gardiner

OR

David Clarkson
Mark Scheifele (7th overall 2011)
Jacob Trouba (9th overall 2012)
13th overall pick in a DEEP DRAFT

What do you think they would pick???????

Clarkson isn't even part of the deal and I personally wouldn't spend the money on what is rumoured. We have prospects to fight for the third line position.

I don't care where players are drafted after the draft. Its up to the players and development systems for them to hit their projected potentials. So throw out the draft positions.

So now we are left with three I hopes for two young promising NHLers.

I keep Kadri and Gardiner.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
Clarkson isn't even part of the deal and I personally wouldn't spend the money on what is rumoured. We have prospects to fight for the third line position.

I don't care where players are drafted after the draft. Its up to the players and development systems for them to hit their projected potentials. So throw out the draft positions.

So now we are left with three I hopes for two young promising NHLers.

I keep Kadri and Gardiner.

I just wrote their draft positions because it shows that they were highly touted and have good potential. With their play since then has shown why they were drafted so high since they have excelled since then in the respective leagues they are in.

And I am not saying we are going to get David Clarkson, I am just saying it would open up the cap space needed to acquire a free agent of that Caliber. Be it a Clarkson, Horton, Weiss or whoever else is available. So that does matter. Cap space DOES matter.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I just wrote their draft positions because it shows that they were highly touted and have good potential. With their play since then has shown why they were drafted so high since they have excelled since then in the respective leagues they are in.

And I am not saying we are going to get David Clarkson, I am just saying it would open up the cap space needed to acquire a free agent of that Caliber. Be it a Clarkson, Horton, Weiss or whoever else is available. So that does matter. Cap space DOES matter.

We have cap space to get Clarkson regardless. Whether or not we pay him what he wants is another story.

Kadri>>Scheifle and I'm not taking the gamble that Schiefle reaches where Kadri is right now, let alone what he can become moving forward.

Trouba is a great prospect and likely has a higher ceiling than Gardiner, but Gardiner has shown top pairing potential as well in the playoffs, and at the very least, a good puck-moving 2nd pairing. The gap between Trouba and Gardiner value-wise doesn't make up for the gap between Kadri and Scheifle.

The 13th pick could be a factor that swings the value in our favour (towards making the trade). Only issue is that we're the only team giving up the proven NHL players and it makes us a significantly worst team next year. Not to mention the high risk your investing in all these prospects, none of which is a sure-fire stud. I wonder what that would do for the morale of our team moving forward and the proceedings of guys like Kessel and Phaneuf when they become UFA's. Does moving these guys actually help towards overall team chemistry and the internal development of our existing players? What kind of message does it send to guys who are taken in internally into our system that we continuously give up on them and treat them merely as assets. All things you have to consider.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007

Lots of players are highly touted, most fail. Lots of players excel in the minors and become role players in the NHL.

We Kadri who started strong and tapered off a bit at the end. Teams took notice of him and began targeting him. This is part of his maturation.

Gardiner needed to become more defensively responsible, they sent him to the minors to work on it. When he returned he was a little to tentative but found his comfort level again and excelled.

To me you are proposing a trade to make a trade.

Wouldn't sign any of the players you listed.

GOTOGO

May 23, 2013
What if again

Toronto trades with Tampa Bay who have a cap problem, say Vincent LeCavalier and there first round pick for Komisarek or Grabovski or JML. Toronto could keep LeCavalier for one season to see if it work out or buy him out. Toronto pick Nathan MacKinnon Or Janathan Drouin.
First time posting be gentle
I tried posting this the other night and it was moved, I don't understand why?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
because we have a trades and speculation thread above the general forum (it's called 2013 Leafs Speculation/Trades/Proposals)

and personally I don't think Yzerman makes that trade.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Hi reiterating for like the 483948320th time but as probably the only Florida resident on the Leaf Board let me give some insight:

Vinny doesn't want to leave florida. He loves it. It loves him. He's the big star from 04, he's done the most community work, and he's earned the fan's respect. Even at his albatross contract, they keep him. You don't just trade your captain "just cause we need cap room" when he's actually a good captain.

Also Tampa doesn't need to trade their top 5 pick to get rid of Lecavalier and especially not for Grabovski or Komisarek. If they're trading a top 5 pick and Vinny it's going to be for a high end 2nd line center or winger which they can just get from the draft anyway.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
i was reading Oilers new GM MacT talk needs and they want a puck moving D and its obvious
So if the C they want is gone by 7th pick could we trade our 1st + Liles or Franson is that fair?

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i was reading Oilers new GM MacT talk needs and they want a puck moving D and its obvious
So if the C they want is gone by 7th pick could we trade our 1st + Liles or Franson is that fair?

No. Isn't fair. Liles isn't even a full time player on the Leafs today. That might have been possible before his Colorado concussion. I don't see Franson as a puck mover, more an offensive zone shooter.

There is an obvious player on the Leafs for that 1st. but it isn't a popular one.

For S&G

Grabovski, Kulemin, Gardiner, 1st. (~9.5)
for
Gagner, Horcoff, Klefbom, 1st. (~10.2)

Eberle-RNH-Hall
Kulemin-Grabovski-Yakupov

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Gagner-Frattin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad