Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I posted this on a thread in the main board. how about this for an offseason?

To Winnipeg- Nazem Kadri and Jake Gardiner

- Winnipeg gets 2 great young players ready to play now and get them into the playoffs sooner rather than later. Gardiner-Bogosian pair would be a great #1 d-pair for years to come. Kadri would also probably be their #1 center as well. They get more of a sure thing in Kadri and Gardiner, as they have played good at the professional level, instead of waiting and taking their chance that Trouba and Scheifele pan out as expected. That is why they have to throw in their 1st round pick.

To Toronto- Mark Scheifele, Jacob Trouba and Winnipeg 2013 1st round pick

The Leafs would make this trade for many reasons...

1- Trouba would fit the d-core going forward a lot more than Gardiner, considering we already have Phaneuf, Franson and Rielly as long term puck moving pieces. We don't have big guys who can shutdown opponents and pair up with our excellent puckmovers. We NEED a Trouba type defenceman and IMO, he has a higher ceiling than Gardiner.

2- Kadri is a restricted free agent coming off a season where he almost went a point per game. He is probably not gonna want a bridge contract and will probably be worth like 4.5-5 million a year for multiple years. With the cap coming down, that is a pretty big cap hit.

3- Scheifele and Trouba would be only entry level contracts for the next few years, which is good for our cap situation and opens up money to pursue free agents and re-sign on our own (Kessel and Phaneuf)

4- Letting Kadri and Gardiner go opens up a nice chunk of cap space which can be used to add a free agent like David Clarkson and maybe re-sign Tyler Bozak.

5- Getting an extra 1st round pick (13th overall) in a deep draft will net us another really good prospect, and if packaged with our own 1st round draft pick (21st) overall, we might be able to jump up and grab Sean Monahan, who would be an excellent 2nd line center to play behind Scheifele in the future. Our weakness up the middle would be gone. It would not only be a weakness gone, it would become our STRENGTH!

IMO Scheifele, Trouba, Monahan and Clarkson >>>>>> Kadri, Gardiner and 1st round pick (21st Overall) long term.

That is just how I see it. It maybe a step back for next years Leaf team, but with those 4 pieces going forward, it is a WAY better team for the future.

Long Term Leaf Team

JVR-Scheifele-Kessel
Lupul-Monahan-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

With guys like Colborne, Ashton, D'Amigo, Ross and Biggs waiting in the wings or there in case of injuries.

Trouba-Rielly
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson/Fraser

With guys like Blacker, Granberg and Holzer waiting in the wings or in case of injuries.

That is a stacked team going forward IMO Deep at every position.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto

- Winnipeg gets 2 great young players ready to play now and get them into the playoffs sooner rather than later. Gardiner-Bogosian pair would be a great #1 d-pair for years to come. Kadri would also probably be their #1 center as well. They get more of a sure thing in Kadri and Gardiner, as they have played good at the professional level, instead of waiting and taking their chance that Trouba and Scheifele pan out as expected. That is why they have to throw in their 1st round pick.

1- Trouba would fit the d-core going forward a lot more than Gardiner, considering we already have Phaneuf, Franson and Rielly as long term puck moving pieces. We don't have big guys who can shutdown opponents and pair up with our excellent puckmovers. We NEED a Trouba type defenceman and IMO, he has a higher ceiling than Gardiner.

2- Kadri is a restricted free agent coming off a season where he almost went a point per game. He is probably not gonna want a bridge contract and will probably be worth like 4.5-5 million a year for multiple years. With the cap coming down, that is a pretty big cap hit.

3- Scheifele and Trouba would be only entry level contracts for the next few years, which is good for our cap situation and opens up money to pursue free agents and re-sign on our own (Kessel and Phaneuf)

4- Letting Kadri and Gardiner go opens up a nice chunk of cap space which can be used to add a free agent like David Clarkson and maybe re-sign Tyler Bozak.

5- Getting an extra 1st round pick (13th overall) in a deep draft will net us another really good prospect, and if packaged with our own 1st round draft pick (21st) overall, we might be able to jump up and grab Sean Monahan, who would be an excellent 2nd line center to play behind Scheifele in the future. Our weakness up the middle would be gone. It would not only be a weakness gone, it would become our STRENGTH!

IMO Scheifele, Trouba, Monahan and Clarkson >>>>>> Kadri, Gardiner and 1st round pick (21st Overall) long term.

That is just how I see it. It maybe a step back for next years Leaf team, but with those 4 pieces going forward, it is a WAY better team for the future.

Long Term Leaf Team

JVR-Scheifele-Kessel
Lupul-Monahan-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

With guys like Colborne, Ashton, D'Amigo, Ross and Biggs waiting in the wings or there in case of injuries.

Trouba-Rielly
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson/Fraser

With guys like Blacker, Granberg and Holzer waiting in the wings or in case of injuries.

Facepalm. That's about all i can say about this one

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lets look at some teams in cap trouble:

Flyers:
Possible targets: Coburn, Meszaros, Grossman, Briere?

Canucks
Possible targets: Bieksa, Hamhius, Edler, Garrison, Kesler, Sedin?

Hawks
Possible targets: Sharp, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook

Lightning
Possible Targets: Malone, Salo, Brewer, Lecavalier?

Too lazy to do the rest

which Sedin? both of them?

No to Kesler, we have our own China Doll in Lupul (Love him to pieces, but let's call a spade a spade).

I'd bet the Leafs could land the Oilers first with Gardiner.

Noooooo Gardiner!
but again it depends on who we drafted. that is all.

Long Term Leaf Team

JVR-Scheifele-Kessel
Lupul-Monahan-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Trouba-Rielly
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson/Fraser

are...
is this...

I know Nonis said no one is untouchable, But I don't see him Trading Gardiner/Kadri for those people. (I'll be honest, I don't know who they ARE, but i don't see that happening).

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
^there are so many thing wrong with this.

First of all Kadri>>>Scheifele now and in the future. Scheifele is a 2nd line center max.

Gardiner>>>Trouba now and in the future they are most likely even

How the **** did you get Monahan?

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

Long Term Leaf Team

JVR-Scheifele-Kessel
Lupul-Monahan-Clarkson
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Trouba-Rielly
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson/Fraser

Dear god why?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Facepalm. That's about all i can say about this one

There is no face palm big enough to show my feeling about that post.

Kadri+Gardiner >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scheifele+Trouba

Kadri+Gardiner are very good NHL players while the other 2 have potential to be almost as good as them if all goes well.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011

First of all Kadri>>>Scheifele now and in the future. Scheifele is a 2nd line center max.

You obviously didn't read the whole thing, did You?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

in that scenario, Monahan was drafted with the 13th pick.
but wouldn't you go for... um. Horvat? or something? or do you assume Horvat goes earlier in the top 12?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
You obviously didn't read the whole thing, did You?

I did. Your explanation sucked.

Kadri+Gard is better than Schiefele+Trouba. I don't give a **** about cap hit since Schiefele+Trouba are unlikely to have impacts in the next 2 years.

You never explain how you got another 1st round pick. Then you packaged the mysterious 1st rounder with our pick to get Monahan

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't personally see Phaneuf/Franson as PMDs though. Gardiner is like Houdini, that's something that stood out in the series with Boston. I was always mystified how he got anywhere, because one moment he was there and then the next. nada nada.

Gardiner IMO is a necessary piece. I've read why people think we should trade him, because of Reily and it will not be buneo to have two premier PMDS, so I'm all open for the trade and all, but again for me: it should be for nothing less than MacKinnon at this point (or for a centre who is freaking great. Is Monahan that person?(legit question) or the winnipeg people who trade him for? again I don't watch a lot of out of town hockey, so i rely on you lot.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
There is no face palm big enough to show my feeling about that post.

Kadri+Gardiner >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scheifele+Trouba

Kadri+Gardiner are very good NHL players while the other 2 have potential to be almost as good as them if all goes well.

Almost as good as them?

Trouba WILL be better than Gardiner. I love Jake, but Trouba is big, plays all aspects of the game excellent, and hits like a truck.

I love Kadri as well, but he is about to cash in on a big paycheck for half a season of greatness. I would rather have Scheifele and Trouba at like 2.5 million combined for the next 3 years than have Kadri ALONE making almost double that per year. When the access money could be spent on David Clarkson.

With the added 1st round pick Winnipeg would be giving up, LIKE I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL POST, could be packaged with our 1st round pick to MOVE UP IN THE DRAFT, and try and grab Sean Monahan.

IMO

Scheifele, Trouba, Monahan and Clarkson>>> Kadri, Gardiner and 21st overall pick.

If you can't see that, I really don't know what else to say.

Just because we are all in love with Kadri and Gardiner doesn't mean we should not capitalize on their values being as high as it might ever be

Last edited:

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
in that scenario, Monahan was drafted with the 13th pick.
but wouldn't you go for... um. Horvat? or something? or do you assume Horvat goes earlier in the top 12?

I said we could package our 1st round pick (21st overall) with Winnipeg's 1st round pick (13th overall) to MOVE UP to grab Sean Monahan.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Almost as good as them?

Trouba WILL be better than Gardiner. I love Jake, but Trouba is big, plays all aspects of the game excellent, and hits like a truck.

I love Kadri as well, but he is about to cash in on a big paycheck for half a season of greatness. I would rather have Scheifele and Trouba at like 4.5 million combined for the next 3 years than have Kadri ALONE making that per year. When the access money could be spent on David Clarkson.

With the added 1st round pick Winnipeg would be giving up, LIKE I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL POST, could be packaged with our 1st round pick to MOVE UP IN THE DRAFT, and try and grab Sean Monahan.

IMO

Scheifele, Trouba, Monahan and Clarkson>>> Kadri, Gardiner and 21st overall pick.

Just because we are all in love with Kadri and Gardiner doesn't mean we should not capitalize on their values being as high as it might ever be

:laugh:

Show me what Trouba has done in the NHL. Oh right. On the other hand, Gardiner went near PPG in the playoffs and made a cup contending team look like trash.

Gardiner>>>>>Trouba

We have cap space up the wazoo, why does that matter so much, when we aren't using it.

Kadri>>Schiefele will ever be.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I said we could package our 1st round pick (21st overall) with Winnipeg's 1st round pick (13th overall) to MOVE UP to grab Sean Monahan.

right... didn't I say that?
we draft Monahan @ 13 (with the Winnipeg pick, that's now ours).
Winnipeg then would get 21

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bickell>>>>>>>Clarkson or Clowe at half the price and years younger
He should be target number 1...for 2/3 line huge winger with skills

He doesn't fight. The whole point with adding a Clarkson type player is that he could be spotted into the top 6 from time who will drop the gloves. Bickell is more of a Kulemin replacement. Clowe had 8 points in 12 Ranger games so he might still have some gas in the tank. Very slow of foot though.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Torres could be a 3rd/4th line option to replace komarov if he leaves.

He pretty much takes out a top 6 player from the playoffs every year :laugh:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He doesn't fight. The whole point with adding a Clarkson type player is that he could be spotted into the top 6 from time who will drop the gloves. Bickell is more of a Kulemin replacement. Clowe had 8 points in 12 Ranger games so he might still have some gas in the tank. Very slow of foot though.

Bickell isn't a big-time fighter, but he definitely fights. Off the top of my head, he's got 50 career fights.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Almost as good as them?

I love Kadri as well, but he is about to cash in on a big paycheck for half a season of greatness. I would rather have Scheifele and Trouba at like 2.5 million combined for the next 3 years than have Kadri ALONE making almost double that per year. When the access money could be spent on David Clarkson.

IMO

Clarkson will be well past his prime before Scheifele, Trouba and Monahan will all be significantly contributing so I don't think he should be included in the bolded equation. The remaining pieces is arguable, one side has 2 young NHLers + prospect, the other side has 3 prospects, too early to say definitively.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I don't personally see Phaneuf/Franson as PMDs though. Gardiner is like Houdini, that's something that stood out in the series with Boston. I was always mystified how he got anywhere, because one moment he was there and then the next. nada nada.

Gardiner IMO is a necessary piece. I've read why people think we should trade him, because of Reily and it will not be buneo to have two premier PMDS, so I'm all open for the trade and all, but again for me: it should be for nothing less than MacKinnon at this point (or for a centre who is freaking great. Is Monahan that person?(legit question) or the winnipeg people who trade him for? again I don't watch a lot of out of town hockey, so i rely on you lot.

I love Jake Gardiner as much as the next guy, and DO believe in his ability but I DO think Morgan Rielly will be better and with Phaneuf and Franson on the team, there is no minutes for Jake in that role IMO. Someone has to go, and it won't be Phaneuf (most likely), it won't be Rielly, and Franson would not get the type of package necessary to move him in a deal. So u deal someone who has value, and that is Jake Gardiner.

And honestly, can you say that Phaneuf and Franson are not puckmovers?

2 defenceman in the top 10 in scoring for defenceman this year are NOT puckmovers?

I honestly DO think that Phaneuf should not try as hard offensively and be more of a shutdown defenceman, but I think we ALL know that will never happen.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
Clarkson will be well past his prime before Scheifele, Trouba and Monahan will all be significantly contributing so I don't think he should be included in the bolded equation. The remaining pieces is arguable, one side has 2 young NHLers + prospect, the other side has 3 prospects, too early to say definitively.

Clarkson might be a bit past his prime when those guys are fully ready to excel in the NHL, but Clarkson helps us continue to compete now. Even if Trouba, Scheifele and Monahan ARE NOT ready next year which I personally don't beleive because I do believe that Scheifele would be ready for at least 2nd or 3rd line duties, we would still have

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Grabovski-Clarkson
Frattin-Colborne-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
JM Liles-Kostka/O'Bryne
Franson-Fraser

Which is pretty much the same team as this year, Minus the Kadri for Clarkson switch. And it also puts Grabovski in a top 6 role where he belongs, which might helps increase his value for a trade later on if Colborne or Scheifele are ready for minutes in the top 6

That is why Clarkson is still important in this potential scenario.

I also believe that Trouba would be ready late next year or at the start of the year after. Monahan might be 2 years away, so Clarkson shouldn't be that past his prime.

Last edited:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I love Jake Gardiner as much as the next guy, and DO believe in his ability but I DO think Morgan Rielly will be better and with Phaneuf and Franson on the team, there is no minutes for Jake in that role IMO. Someone has to go, and it won't be Phaneuf (most likely), it won't be Rielly, and Franson would not get the type of package necessary to move him in a deal. So u deal someone who has value, and that is Jake Gardiner.

And honestly, can you say that Phaneuf and Franson are not puckmovers?

2 defenceman in the top 10 in scoring for defenceman this year are NOT puckmovers?

I honestly DO think that Phaneuf should not try as hard offensively and be more of a shutdown defenceman, but I think we ALL know that will never happen.

Depends on your definition of puck moving defense. Is it someone who gets points or someone who carried the puck up the ice?

Gardiner will often carry the puck up the ice leading the rush and jump in the play. Phaneuf + Franson rarely carry the puck up the ice leading the rush, they make a pass instead. That initial pass gets them a number of points, along with each of them getting about half their points coming off of the powerplay. I wouldn't classify either Phaneuf or Franson as puck rushers but both are still more than capable of getting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad