Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
nash plays the easiest minutes ever. he starts 60.6% of shifts in the offensive zone and faces second-worst competition on the team, behind only dvorak. yeah, he scores more than he gives up. it's kind of hard not to...and yet he is still a whole +1. they are giving the tough minutes to jordan staal's line and tons of defensive zone faceoffs to malhotra. you can't judge a player's stats in a vacuum as if everyone is used the same.

nash is awful at faceoffs, yet those lost faceoffs are far less likely to end up in the back of his net because riley nash rarely takes defensive zone faceoffs. since malhotra was signed, there have been 11 games where nash did not take a single defensive zone faceoff at even strength. do you understand how this can impact his shiny +/- stat? and hurt others?

i'd argue that there are plenty of third line centers who can either (a) be trusted to play against better players and take defensive zone faceoffs or (b) perform better with the soft minutes that nash gets.

nash is bad and this leads muller to shelter him, benefiting his counting numbers. it's the very fact that he is bad that puts him in a situation where his stats look semi-acceptable. westgarth was a +1 last year, is he an acceptable third liner?

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
nash plays the easiest minutes ever. he starts 60.6% of shifts in the offensive zone and faces second-worst competition on the team, behind only dvorak. yeah, he scores more than he gives up. it's kind of hard not to...and yet he is still a whole +1. they are giving the tough minutes to jordan staal's line and tons of defensive zone faceoffs to malhotra. you can't judge a player's stats in a vacuum as if everyone is used the same.

nash is awful at faceoffs, yet those lost faceoffs are far less likely to end up in the back of his net because riley nash rarely takes defensive zone faceoffs. since malhotra was signed, there have been 11 games where nash did not take a single defensive zone faceoff at even strength. do you understand how this can impact his shiny +/- stat? and hurt others?

i'd argue that there are plenty of third line centers who can either (a) be trusted to play against better players and take defensive zone faceoffs or (b) perform better with the soft minutes that nash gets.

nash is bad and this leads muller to shelter him, benefiting his counting numbers. it's the very fact that he is bad that puts him in a situation where his stats look semi-acceptable. westgarth was a +1 last year, is he an acceptable third liner?

I thought Riley Nash was the future? :laugh:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 56s
For precautionary reasons, Gleason didn't play last night and didn't practice today. Canes working hard on trade. #tsn

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
Tim Gleason not on ice for CAR practice today. Always subject to change, but doesn't look like he'll practice or play with CAR until traded.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 44s
Leafs and Hurricanes trying to complete Tim Gleason trade. It's not done, still some work to do, but it's headed towards conclusion. #tsn

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That "still some work to do" worries me. JR's totally going to **** this up

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 1m
#Canes Gleason not practicing waiting 4 #NHL trade. Strong speculation is he could be a #Leaf today. Liles/prospect is talk going other way

So how much salary are we going to retain? (semi-:sarcasm:)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That "still some work to do" worries me. JR's totally going to **** this up

Unless we're throwing in a 2nd/Rask/etc. there's nothing for JR to **** up. Biggest holdup is going to be whether or not Gleason wants to play in Canada, which is something he has refused before when he was drafted by Ottawa.

I'm thinking this is going to be Liles/tweener (Ashton?) for Gleason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Unless Carolina is eating salary, I'm surprised a prospect would even be in the discussion.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Unless we're throwing in a 2nd/Rask/etc. there's nothing for JR to **** up. Biggest holdup is going to be whether or not Gleason wants to play in Canada, which is something he has refused before when he was drafted by Ottawa.

I'm thinking this is going to be Liles/tweener (Ashton?) for Gleason.

Throwing in a pick or a prospect is what I'm afraid of. Hell, even retaining salary is too much for a guy the Leafs haven't been playing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
depends what the "add" is. If JR is willing to throw in 4th/6th round picks to get rid of Stewart....and throw in Mark Alt to get rid of Boucher, then I'm not so sure I'd want to know what JR would throw in on this deal.

On the surface, Gleason for Liles makes some sense. Both make about the same and neither fit into their current team's plans and do seem to fit into the other teams needs. What scares me is JR adding a picks for some reason.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah. We really better not be retaining salary. I hate it. I'd much rather add something than retain salary.

If there's a prospect thrown in by Toronto, it would effectively be buying a minor prospect for the cap space. As long as the cap space retained is small (like the difference between Gleason and Liles) I don't mind retaining cap space to get a prospect.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If it's a minor/insignificant prospect, I don't imagine the haggling would take this long. Doubt Liles is still pulling his NTC card at this point and it's already said Gleason will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino