Speculation: 2013-2014 Hurricanes Trade Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think he's working hard to move Gleason just based on no one being the obvious extras in practice. I wonder if more than should be the case is riding on this game tonight.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
From the Leafs board. I read their trade/FA forum frequently and this poster does have some connections and rarely posts things unless there is something to it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=77037207&postcount=641

Take it with a grain of salt as per usual but allegedly Gleason and/or family may be on the fence about a move to Toronto which could be a reason why this Liles-Gleason swap hasnt been completed yet.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's not surprising. We all thought that he'd have a hard time accepting a trade to a Canadian team. Toronto was probably the only one that he may OK and that's clearly not a guarantee.

Hes going to get eviscerated by the media if he plays there like he has here recently, though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's not surprising. We all thought that he'd have a hard time accepting a trade to a Canadian team. Toronto was probably the only one that he may OK and that's clearly not a guarantee.

Hes going to get eviscerated by the media if he plays there like he has here recently, though.

If his NTC truly does expire at the end of the year he theoretically could wind up in a place worse than Toronto.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So a few days ago, people were commenting how the Canes were only 1 point out of a playoff spot. After Philly's win last night, the Canes are now 5 points out of a playoff spot with 4 teams in front of them (for 3rd place) and have won 2 games out of their last 10. A couple more losses and I have to think Rutherford is at least thinking about a coaching change.

Trading the likes of Gleason and Westgarth will have very little impact on the team (short term).

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Toronto being a border city, he could live in 'Merica still.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So a few days ago, people were commenting how the Canes were only 1 point out of a playoff spot. After Philly's win last night, the Canes are now 5 points out of a playoff spot with 4 teams in front of them (for 3rd place) and have won 2 games out of their last 10. A couple more losses and I have to think Rutherford is at least thinking about a coaching change.

Trading the likes of Gleason and Westgarth will have very little impact on the team (short term).

I ranted yesterday that I thought they should can the whole coaching staff (except for Brindy because ofcourse).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
All true on the Gleason stuff. NTC or not, he's not really in much of a position to of strength.

I think canning Muller would be a mistake. THAT would be rearranging the deck chairs. Some of the assistants are holdovers from Mo's second term, so I think changes could stand to be made there. But I'd let Muller finish the season and give him a short leash next year. Like, beginning of November short.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Coaching changes are probably the most difficult thing for fans to speculate on, because a lot of it we don't see so we have literally no clue how good the coach is. We can see the system the coach has installed, the lines he chooses, and to a small extent how hard the players seem to be working for him, but beyond that it's pure guesswork.

It would be frustrating to see Muller get canned without even a full season under his belt. I don't really see it happening, but you never know. Right now this team seems to have some mental fragility and a lack of an x-factor that other teams that win games seem to have. They are capable of controlling the play for long periods of times and seem pretty disciplined in their execution of the game plan, but it just rarely comes together after 60 minutes. I'm not sure how much of that is on the coach and how much on the players. I think they might just not have the players to get it done, and that falls on Rutherford and the staff he has assembled. We've got the big name stars now, which is exciting and quite frankly unlike anything we've really seen in this team's time in NC, and while the lack of performance from the stars is a big part of the problem right now, I think maybe even bigger is the lack of a supporting cast. That is a problem created by years of failure to develop prospects (with a few exceptions) and seemingly a disconnect between what is happening in Charlotte and Raleigh.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Why can the coach, when nothing will change? Sure it might give a jump for a few weeks like a coaching change normally does, then what, you are right back to an average team.

We've had 3 coaches, Lavi, Mo and Kirk and we get the same results year after year. Bring in another coach and it'll be the same **** we've seen year after year.

When you get the same results with 3 different coaches, canning coaches every 3 years won't do anything to fix this mess.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
All true on the Gleason stuff. NTC or not, he's not really in much of a position to of strength.

I think canning Muller would be a mistake. THAT would be rearranging the deck chairs. Some of the assistants are holdovers from Mo's second term, so I think changes could stand to be made there. But I'd let Muller finish the season and give him a short leash next year. Like, beginning of November short.

I guess my question would be why give him more rope? Has he shown anything that would lead you to believe he is the guy for the long haul?

So far he's averaging 33 wins and 80 points per 82 game season. That's 12 points out of a playoff spot in an average season.

I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him until after the Olympics and immediately hired Kevin Dineen.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Muller's still got a decent bit of leash IMO. It'd be hard to blame him for a lot of what's wrong with this team.

Terrible PP? Unless he's been coach since 06-07, that seems to be an organizational issue, not a coaching one. Not sure if it's a matter of confidence or a matter of talent, but it's been awful for years before Muller arrived.

Terrible defense? Again, up until this year, he's hardly had anything that could be considered an "NHL defense". And this year, the defense has looked passable. The issue is the goaltending. Speaking of which...

Terrible goaltending? Well, extended injuries to their starter the past two years have obviously had an effect on this team's ability to make the playoffs, and this year, no amount of coaching in the world can prevent some of the soft goals Ward and Peters have let in.

His bread and butter in Montreal was the PK, and there's been a noticeable improvement in that area, despite the latter two factors above. About the only thing I'd get on Muller about is this team's inability to finish games that extend past regulation. They've pissed away so many points in OT or the SO.

bluedevil58*

I am starting to think that leadership is the issue with this team. Look I am a big Eric Staal fan but with his skill set and size he should be dominating night in and night out. Sometimes it seems as if he is just coasting and going through the motions out there.

I am not saying that we should trade Eric. But we have not had a good leader since Brindy. Before that was Francis and we were way more competitive back then than we are now. At least we would see the playoffs every 1 out of 3 years or so. What are we now? 4 straight seasons without a playoff berth?

I think leadership is the issue here. As stated above, if we fire Muller it will be the same result in another 3 years. I am not sure what needs to happen....

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
With regard to Eric, I keep going back to this quote he had after a loss to the Coyotes just over 2 years ago (12/21/11). His lackluster backchecking led to a couple goals against, and he had this to say after the game:

After the game, Hurricanes captain Eric Staal put the loss on his shoulders. “I’ve got to be the best player on the ice, and I wasn’t,†he said. “It’s no fun. No excuse, I’ve got to be better than I was tonight. I’ve got to be there for our team and be the guy to step up in a situation when things don’t go our way.â€

“I want to win. I want to be in the playoffs. I want to win in this market again. And it hasn’t happened. It’s been extremely frustrating,†he said. “But what am I going to do? I’m not going to sit here and feel sorry for myself. I need to step up and be better, regardless.â€

I had high hopes after reading those comments, since it looked like Staal had finally turned the corner and realized that he needs to be a leader on this team, regardless of how well the rest of the team is playing.

Of course, since that quote, I can count the number of games Staal has been "the best player on the ice" on both hands. He can be that go-to guy, that guy that steps up when the team needs it, but only when he feels like it. :shakehead

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He said the same thing, nearly word for word, after I think it was the first Tampa loss this year. They went on that little home winning streak shortly after, and he had that point streak, but he's now been quiet for a few games.

Staal may not be the greatest captain, but leadership is such an overrated thing. Jordan is a pretty solid "A" and Malhotra has been vocal despite not currently wearing a letter, but these same struggles have been prevalent for years. It's not just an Eric Staal thing.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So tonight:

@MSmithCanes: #Canes forward lines remain consistent: Skinner-E. Staal-Semin, Gerbe-J. Staal-Dwyer, Bowman-Nash-Ruutu, Boychuk-Malhotra-Dvorak.

Some shake up in the lines, Ruutu moved to the 3rd line. Dwyer back with Jordan.

Right there is apart of the problem. (Not the movement of players on lines, Dwyer in the top 6 and Ruutu with his contract in the bottom 6)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That 3rd line is going to be a blackhole of offense. I'd expect more chances from the 4th than out of Bowman-Nash-Ruutu.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I guess I don't understand why jr is so frustrated. Our d improved to mediocre, and the offensive additions were table scraps from other teams tables. We earned the fifth pick last season with this offense. I love gerbe and all, but he's hardly going to turn the tide and ruutu is gonna be streaky at this point.

I'm scared of jr right now if there's truth behind all the speculation.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That 3rd line is going to be a blackhole of offense. I'd expect more chances from the 4th than out of Bowman-Nash-Ruutu.

That is one of the more hilarious 3rd lines I've seen in a while. All guys with size that don't use it nearly well enough, were drafted as offensive producers and are now just taking up space. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th line gets more TOI than this "3rd" line.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
I think Muller is safe until next year. Rutherford has shown that he gives his coaches longer tryouts than most teams.

And if we fire Muller, who replaces him? Unless Mike Babcock wants to move to a warmer location or we develop a time machine and kidnap Scotty Bowman I don't know of any grade A coaches available. Muller may not be excelling but he's at least as good as any replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->