2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
That's just completely false. Either you aren't watching, or you are letting your bias color your view.

What bias do I have? I've watched miller play as much as anyone here in the ahl. He's a fantastic player at that level. But when he goes to the NHL he struggles with everything.

He did indeed lose the puck multiple times unpressured in the NHL his last game he played

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Miller looked pretty similar to how he has looked in the NHL in his first AHL season.

Often the hardest part of adapting to a new level is keeping up with the pace and I don't just mean skating. As you move up you have less time and less space to execute. It takes time and experience to learn to read a play vs reacting.

Kreider went through it too, could argue he still is. Some players never get over the hump...some players just need to adapt. It is extremely rare that a kid steps in at the NHL level and has the kind of poise Hayes has, to contrast.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Was listening to espn radio the other day and I think it applies here. Every night in the pros you are looking across at someone who can beat you. There are no nights off like in college where you can get away with not being your best. I think the analogy applies to the ahl v nhl dynamic

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Greenville played and lost 5-2 last night,
Malcolm gave up 5 in the 1st 2 periods.
St. Croix got an assist on Kyle Jean's meaningless 5-2 3d period goal, Nicholls was also on that line at the time

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Miller looked pretty similar to how he has looked in the NHL in his first AHL season.

Often the hardest part of adapting to a new level is keeping up with the pace and I don't just mean skating. As you move up you have less time and less space to execute. It takes time and experience to learn to read a play vs reacting.

Kreider went through it too, could argue he still is. Some players never get over the hump...some players just need to adapt. It is extremely rare that a kid steps in at the NHL level and has the kind of poise Hayes has, to contrast.

Hayes is a year older and has played 4 years of NCAA and played in the WC in May.

Miller jumped to pro after 2 years of USNTDP and 1 year of Canadian Juniors.

Not surprising Hayes looks more poised against NHLers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hayes is a year older and has played 4 years of NCAA and played in the WC in May.

Miller jumped to pro after 2 years of USNTDP and 1 year of Canadian Juniors.

Not surprising Hayes looks more poised against NHLers.

True, but Miller played pro hockey for 2 seasons now. The consensus outside of this forum has been that Hayes is a superior prospect to Miller, and that seems to be the case so far. I do, however, think that Hayes needs to stop stickhandling so much. The way he does it is amateurish.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Hayes also realizes the size and strength advantage he has and uses it. Putting pucks out of reach, using his frame and momentum to drive the play, and finding the open man.

JT does all that in AHL, while he seemed to have the blinders on more after the first 3 pre-season games.

Saw the game yesterday, and JT and Oscar Lindberg were the best players, not just because they scored, but they created chances. Both want a look at the NHL level, and are driving towards that since there are 2 center spots that are open with Stepan out.

Lindberg playing with intensity is a good fit for this system, he's a great utility option to have. He's good for face-offs and defensive matchups.

I still can't fathom why Glass is playing over Fast, and I'm a pro-TUFFness guy.

Will be watching the game today as well.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
True, but Miller played pro hockey for 2 seasons now. The consensus outside of this forum has been that Hayes is a superior prospect to Miller, and that seems to be the case so far. I do, however, think that Hayes needs to stop stickhandling so much. The way he does it is amateurish.

I wouldn't call it amateurish. It takes a good amount of confidence and poise to handle the puck like he does, especially as a rookie. I think it shows maturity how comfortable he is with the puck and how he doesn't try to force every play. He obviously needs to make quicker decisions, and hopefully that will come along as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL.

You just have to hope that one of these guys (Miller/Hayes/Lindberg) can develop into a 2nd line center for this team. I'd say Miller/Hayes have the higher upside, but I think Lindberg is technically the best center out of the bunch. I can see one of them traded, or perhaps one of Miller/Hayes making their career at wing.

Who knows, maybe Hayes will develop into that high-end #1 Center with size that we as Rangers fans have always coveted. Someone like Jumbo Joe. Then I remember that we are Rangers fans and are not allowed to have such nice things.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I don't know about amateurish. His ability to handle the puck is very impressive--and an important ability to possess at the professional level. He simply just needs to be more decisive. Nothing remotely unusual about that when guys are first exposed to the NHL; the speed of the game is the biggest difference between the NHL and AHL (or NCAA for that matter). Even if you want to stick with "amateurish" as the adjective, it's still not surprising when you consider that he's only been professional/non-amatuer for 3 games.

Very impressed with Hayes so far. Considering his background, I have zero complaints about his game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Pack struggling today. Being outshot 18-4 with less than 8 minutes to go in the 2nd period and no shots on goal yet in the 2nd. Missiaen is in the net and must be doing okay. He hasn't let in any yet.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Ummm, how about "they're 2 and a half game into the season so why don't you be a little more patient with conclusions"?

Hershey seems to be a quality AHL team. Oleksy, Kundratek, Newbury, Wellman, Kennedy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What happened to, "The Pack is gonna dominate the AHL this year with all of this depth!"?

Even good teams have bad games. Proclamations of impending dominance may be premature, but it's no less ridiculous than you drawing conclusions based on a single game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't know about amateurish. His ability to handle the puck is very impressive--and an important ability to possess at the professional level. He simply just needs to be more decisive. Nothing remotely unusual about that when guys are first exposed to the NHL; the speed of the game is the biggest difference between the NHL and AHL (or NCAA for that matter). Even if you want to stick with "amateurish" as the adjective, it's still not surprising when you consider that he's only been professional/non-amatuer for 3 games.

Very impressed with Hayes so far. Considering his background, I have zero complaints about his game.

I didn't mean amateurish to mean bad, I meant not polished. Should I have said rookie-ish? It's a good skill, but he needs to work on it in practice while limiting it in real games for at least part of this season.

I agree that Hayes has been impressive, particularly how much he's improved from Traverse to now. You can see real improvement almost game to game.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Mcilrath takes a tripping penalty in OT and the Pack lose. Outshot 37-15. Casey Wellman with the gwg and led both teams in shots. Missiaen with 2nd star. Pack 0 for 5 on PP.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Sloppy game for the pack. Lots of bad penalties in a muck of a game.

One thing I'll give to Keny is that he played the kids a ton. Especially those that are on the cusp. JT got top line minutes in every role, Lindberg with 2nd line minutes. McIlrath seemed like he was out there every other shift, and same with Allen.

Downside to Kenny is that he has them playing along the walls more than anything else. The zone entries are all chip and chase and not the possession hockey played in the big leagues.

Some of that is just all hockey, but they need to be more like grand Rapids and Detroit so the transition is seamless for the kids.

Weekend Review:

Bodie: Woefully undersized. Needs PEDs to bulk up and be an NHLer. Physically weak, but smart, good skater, and good puck handler that can make good offensive plays on the fly. Looks like he just hit puberty.

Miller: Best player for the Pack. Needs to play more in the middle than the boards. He is easily the best player on the ice but what Kenny preaches and AV preaches are a little different. He's used to more Kenny than AV.

Lindberg: Lots to like, but needs to play with more urgency. His linemates was one of the Bourques and either Haggerty or Kristo, and he did a good job of generating zone entries, chances, but needs to be a lot more assertive. I think his upside is that of a Joakim Nordstrom or Marcus Kruger as a best case scenario. That is a skilled checking line winger that helps move the puck up the ice, and establish an offensive zone faceoff for the top 6.

Kristo: Offensively he looks like he's dancing out there, skilled with the puck but not too bright otherwise. Basically he's a really skilled dumb player. Low IQ. Tanner Glass stupid with John Moore's hockey sense.

Allen: Looks like an NHL athlete, reps and consistency are key for him. I don't know if he'll end up as a Ranger since he had such a poor camp and has a few guys ahead of him, but he'll see NHL ice by next season. Complete game.

McIlrath: Took some bad penalties, and that's something he needs to stay away from. They were bad minors and not bad majors so he did see a lot of ice. I would like to see him get some PP time over guys that will never see NHL ice. Defensively, especially along the boards and in front of the net, he is a beast. Breakouts and defending fast players in transition could use work.

Noreau: First look in the AHL I've had of him live, and there is a lot to like. Might not be more than an AHL player, but he can play at this level, and do a good job. Coaching and reps will make him better, but size and skating ability is good enough for the AHL. He can really fight.

Crabb: Good player to have in the org and someone that can play in the NHL if needed. Smart grinder, battles, tough and gritty, and RH shot that can take faceoffs too.

HFD played very poorly on short rest, and while its greatly convenient for a fan like myself, the team played rope a dope the second game. Guys were fatigued and you can see it. Kenny needs to manage shifts and ice time better.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Sloppy game for the pack. Lots of bad penalties in a muck of a game.

One thing I'll give to Keny is that he played the kids a ton. Especially those that are on the cusp. JT got top line minutes in every role, Lindberg with 2nd line minutes. McIlrath seemed like he was out there every other shift, and same with Allen.

Downside to Kenny is that he has them playing along the walls more than anything else. The zone entries are all chip and chase and not the possession hockey played in the big leagues.

Some of that is just all hockey, but they need to be more like grand Rapids and Detroit so the transition is seamless for the kids.

Weekend Review:

Bodie: Woefully undersized. Needs PEDs to bulk up and be an NHLer. Physically weak, but smart, good skater, and good puck handler that can make good offensive plays on the fly. Looks like he just hit puberty.

Miller: Best player for the Pack. Needs to play more in the middle than the boards. He is easily the best player on the ice but what Kenny preaches and AV preaches are a little different. He's used to more Kenny than AV.

Lindberg: Lots to like, but needs to play with more urgency. His linemates was one of the Bourques and either Haggerty or Kristo, and he did a good job of generating zone entries, chances, but needs to be a lot more assertive. I think his upside is that of a Joakim Nordstrom or Marcus Kruger as a best case scenario. That is a skilled checking line winger that helps move the puck up the ice, and establish an offensive zone faceoff for the top 6.

Kristo: Offensively he looks like he's dancing out there, skilled with the puck but not too bright otherwise. Basically he's a really skilled dumb player. Low IQ. Tanner Glass stupid with John Moore's hockey sense.

Allen: Looks like an NHL athlete, reps and consistency are key for him. I don't know if he'll end up as a Ranger since he had such a poor camp and has a few guys ahead of him, but he'll see NHL ice by next season. Complete game.

McIlrath: Took some bad penalties, and that's something he needs to stay away from. They were bad minors and not bad majors so he did see a lot of ice. I would like to see him get some PP time over guys that will never see NHL ice. Defensively, especially along the boards and in front of the net, he is a beast. Breakouts and defending fast players in transition could use work.

Noreau: First look in the AHL I've had of him live, and there is a lot to like. Might not be more than an AHL player, but he can play at this level, and do a good job. Coaching and reps will make him better, but size and skating ability is good enough for the AHL. He can really fight.

Crabb: Good player to have in the org and someone that can play in the NHL if needed. Smart grinder, battles, tough and gritty, and RH shot that can take faceoffs too.

HFD played very poorly on short rest, and while its greatly convenient for a fan like myself, the team played rope a dope the second game. Guys were fatigued and you can see it. Kenny needs to manage shifts and ice time better.

Thanks for the solid writeup, Mikos. Haven't really had a chance to watch the kids yet this year. What you say about Kenny G is one of the main reasons I can't stand him.

Noticed you didn't have any comments on Fast - did he have a forgettable weekend?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the solid writeup, Mikos. Haven't really had a chance to watch the kids yet this year. What you say about Kenny G is one of the main reasons I can't stand him.

Noticed you didn't have any comments on Fast - did he have a forgettable weekend?

Not at all, he was put out there as a top winger, played in every situation. Very adaptable to his role, in the NHL he took the 4th line role like he should, and in the A he took on the top winger role to heart.

I think he's a very smart player that the team can throw out there in every situation, but probably needs to exude a little more confidence. Especially with the puck and offensively. He needs to shoot more, and attack the net with tenacity.

He and Miller were killing penalties together, and you get the feeling that the Rangers are grooming them as a combo as they were paired up 5v5 too. They are the two closest to the NHL after all, and given that the Rangers 4th line is basically a patchwork this past game, its easy to see why.

Fast was much better on the PK than Miller, I think that there is more to Fast game as he learns to "get lost" in the offensive zone. He'll score with clean looks, he just has to work to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad