B-Sens 2013/14 Binghamton Senators Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He is a very average player overall. He has size, but he doesn't really have an edge to his game, doesn't play with much physicality and is injury prone. He is a defensive minded forward but even at the his skill set isn't noteworthy. Overall there is not much upside in any aspect of his game.

Aside from that, after being drafted, he really didn't do anything to warrant a contract. He didn't really make any substantial improvements to his game. He is just a big defensive forward who has a small chance of becoming a 4th liner. The AHL and ECHL are filled with players like this so it seems like a bit of a waste to have given him an ELC.

i get that he's kind of average right now. but i don't get why he should be written off just yet. he has barely been coached by richardson at all yet. i'm just curious to see how he does.

Berserker*

i get that he's kind of average right now. but i don't get why he should be written off just yet. he has barely been coached by richardson at all yet. i'm just curious to see how he does.

Look, Richardson and our development staff are great but they aren't miracle workers. In order to "develop" a player, he has to have something to develop. If he has no stand out skills or abilities at this point in his career, then it is simply too late for Richardson and the development staff to turn him into a real prospect.

Every "project pick" has some kind of skill or ability that makes them standout. Kramer has his fighting ability, physicality and compete level. Dziurzynski is a fast skater with size, he is a good hitter, he is solid defensively and has some raw offensive ability. Claesson has solid defensive IQ and positioning and decent mobility.Stone had elite hockey IQ, was a great passer, had an excellent shot, had size, physicality and a solid compete level.

All those players, among others, have something about their game that makes them standout. We are just now starting to see with Stone, what you can do if you take a player with some raw ability and properly develop them. However, if a prospect doesn't have any stand out skills or abilities, then there is nothing really to work with. The key is to develop their strength and round out the other aspects of their game. Without a key strength the best you can do is make them into a serviceable AHL player.

Think of Culek as a bigger version of Condra, except take away the hockey IQ and penalty killing ability, add a bit of size and make him injury prone.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
That goal by Alex Grant late in the 3rd on Saturday was just so awesome. He just held it at the blue line, took a look, faked, took another look and then let a drifter go and it found a seam. I don't think A. Grant is NHL potential but that was a really good time in Syracuse :)

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Think of Culek as a bigger version of Condra, except take away the hockey IQ and penalty killing ability, add a bit of size and make him injury prone.

That's a bit of a stretch in your analysis..

Here's mine, and take it for what's worth..Culek lacks the assertiveness to elevate his performance..just lacks that killer instinct and just seems to float on the ice with zero direction..

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A few notes on Culek.......................

He only had the puck on his stick 1 time.........

This describes an alarmingly large % of games he has played, including a game or two I saw him play in the Q.

Culek has never shown close to the level of talent to give anyone a reasonable belief he will be an NHL player. Pretty much all of the defensive forwards in the NHL are still reasonably elite offensive players on the way up. This was Murray taking one last shot at seeing how he would adapt as a pro and whether he might be a better pro than junior player (rare, but it happens). But that is not the case for Culek.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Greenham sent to Elmira, by Binghamton ☺☻☺

03/31/2014

Scott Greenham (G)
Binghamton DEL
Returned on loan to
Elmira (ECHL)

Via AHL Website ººº.....

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Curious to here a scouting report on Puempel from our Bingo crew. Clearly taking advantage of his increased minutes and ice time. What are you guys seeing from him on the ice?

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Emergency emergency ☺☻☺

03/30/2014

Jean-Gabriel Pageau (C)
Binghamton DEL
Recalled from loan by
Ottawa (NHL)

Via AHL website ººº.....

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Notes on Shane Prince ☺☻☺

How has Prince looked after all the trade rumors?

"UnFinishedSpezza":

Shane Prince has turned a corner in his development. I expect to see more goals and points out of him down the stretch and in the playoffs IF Binghamton makes it to the post season............

Shane could make some noise @ camp next season but still needs some time in Binghamton to round out his game.........

As far as those "Rumors" I think they were just rumors put out by his sibling, then blown out of proportion as happens on the internet today.....

WhiteLight*

I want to see Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, Ceci and Zibanejad go back for the playoffs

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I want to see Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, Ceci and Zibanejad go back for the playoffs

Stone, Pageau, and Ceci WILL be back for the playoffs. Hoffman is up in the air because supposably he has to clear waivers. Zibanejad is not eligible for the AHL playoffs as he was not on the paper waiver wire on trade day.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Makes me wonder what the supposedly very good scouting staff of the Ottawa Senators saw in Jacob Culek to select him in the 3rd round, 76th overall. That's a fairly high draft selection for a guy most people think has a slim to no chance of ever making it to the NHL. What did they see that most on here don't see or did they just make a huge mistake? Of course, we have never been wrong about a prospect before, have we? :naughty:

Othello*

"UnFinishedSpezza":

Shane Prince has turned a corner in his development. I expect to see more goals and points out of him down the stretch and in the playoffs IF Binghamton makes it to the post season............

Shane could make some noise @ camp next season but still needs some time in Binghamton to round out his game.........

As far as those "Rumors" I think they were just rumors put out by his sibling, then blown out of proportion as happens on the internet today.....
Thanks. Hopefully he pans out

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Understood - and I hope those same people who don't have time to watch the games also do not have enough time to recycle material and blog it as their own.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Garrett Thompson Added 04-02-2014 ☺☻☺

04/02/2014

Garrett Thompson (F)
Binghamton Added

Via AHL Website ººº....

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2014-04-02 Garrett Thompson (F) Added
2014-04-02 Ryan Dzingel (F) Added

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Makes me wonder what the supposedly very good scouting staff of the Ottawa Senators saw in Jacob Culek to select him in the 3rd round, 76th overall. That's a fairly high draft selection for a guy most people think has a slim to no chance of ever making it to the NHL. What did they see that most on here don't see or did they just make a huge mistake? Of course, we have never been wrong about a prospect before, have we? :naughty:

I was going to make a list of guys drafted in the 3rd round that didn't make the NHL but I still have Excel 2003 so it maxes out at 65536 rows, unfortunately I can't get the whole list on one sheet.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Binghamton Senators ‏@BSens_Hockey 1h

The #BSens have signed forwards Garrett Thompson & Ryan Dzingel to ATOs... Thompson will wear jersey 17 while Dzingel will wear 21 ººº.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad