2012 Canada - Russia Challenge - Halifax, NS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Really glad Hudon is playing well despite Canada's losses. Hope he proves me right by having him in my top 10 for the draft.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't understand why ppl get so paranoid and defensive about particular players. we need them all to do well, irrespective of who they've been drafted by (for those who have been drafted). we cannot lose at wjc again - it would just be too much to bear :facepalm:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
OK, ive read through it all but cant find anything on Harrington. Can anyone tell me how he played?

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I thought Murphy and Rielly were unreal on the back-end tonight. I'd love to see them both paired up on the PP (were for a little while), having two guys that can just gain the line without trouble and dominant on the offensive blueline... that's scary for the opposition.

And man, Ryan Murray ain't coming back for the WJC, I can't see how he won't make Columbus, the guy doesn't have a single panic-bone in his body, solid D-men, Columbus are lucky to have him. I definitely see the Scott Neidermeyer comparison, although not a huge amount of flash, but he's got quite the big head between his shoulders. Haven't seen him make a single mistake, despite the huge ice-times in both games.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
OK, ive read through it all but cant find anything on Harrington. Can anyone tell me how he played?

I didn't think he played too well. You didn't notice him, but it always seemed like he was on the ice when the Russians were scoring a powerplay goal, with Harrington just standing around. He never got blown away by anyone and Dumba or Ceci was the one making the real mistakes but Harrington didn't do anything to help.

The K Man

May 7, 2011
Calgary
How about Jenner and Murray?

Murray was solid again, I remember a couple times he stopped Yak from going past him with a nice poke-check. Seemed like he stepped up a little more offensively, not only with his goal but looked like he wanted to jump into the play more than previous games. The only real knock I've had against him is that he I didn't feel he contributed enough offensively so I really liked this game of his

Don't think Jenner did too much this game, took a bad penalty that turned into a goal which is really the only standout from him this game, but it happens.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I didnt see the game but Dumba sucked?

His defensive game and questionable hockeysense is going to get exposed from here on out (WJC and NHL).

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
You hate the game of the kid who was Canada's best player?

Why can't he? Sure, Murphy was a beast offensively today but even then he has shown that he is still a major defensive liability out there. His talents and skills are all there but rushing the puck up and trying to deke through the entire opposing team just isn't productive. I would argue Rielly was just as good if not better than Murphy tonight. Probably wasn't as dynamic offensively but much more reliable and much more of a team player for sure.

I will give Murphy praise for helping us getting back into the game but personally, I find his play to be quite selfish at times. When he is skating and using his teammates, he's a force but he doesn't do that all the time. Far too often he gets caught up into his solo dashes. Even at the end with about a minute left into the game, he tried the same thing twice only to lose the puck the first time and to get stood up at the blueline the second, wasting valuable time on the clock which could have been used to tie the game. A clean passing entry or maybe even a dump and chase might have been better than him trying to play the hero.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Murray was solid again, I remember a couple times he stopped Yak from going past him with a nice poke-check. Seemed like he stepped up a little more offensively, not only with his goal but looked like he wanted to jump into the play more than previous games. The only real knock I've had against him is that he I didn't feel he contributed enough offensively so I really liked this game of his

Don't think Jenner did too much this game, took a bad penalty that turned into a goal which is really the only standout from him this game, but it happens.

Murray just knows how to position himself for the battle. Noticed those plays on Yak and a couple of others, where he just used his body position and smarts to eliminate them from the puck, and it looked like he did it with ease. I thought he was the smartest player on the ice, not much flash in his game but a pure brilliant all around game in both his games, and consistent from shift to shift.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Murray just knows how to position himself for the battle. Noticed those plays on Yak and a couple of others, where he just used his body position and smarts to eliminate them from the puck, and it looked like he did it with ease. I thought he was the smartest player on the ice, not much flash in his game but a pure brilliant all around game in both his games, and consistent from shift to shift.

Good to hear, hope Murray has a long and successful career with the Jackets!

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for the input on harrington! Sounds like he played his usual game, maybe not the best tho.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Where were you during the game saying this Leftwing?

It's funny the people who critisize him come out well after everyone has left so there's few to rebut it.

He still showed he was a defensively liability my ass. He did nothing wrong defensively, made no mistakes, had a good game in his own zone.

There is no way Rielly was better that game, no chance. You critisize Murphy for selfish plays yet Rielly made similar plays all game as well, except fewer of them worked out. Murphy got into the zone in the final minutes but the Russians were too good defensively. Why in the world would dump and chase work better?

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Murphy was the best player on the ice tonight, I don't know why people are so hard on him. I agree though he has some growing to do to his game, particularly on taking the end-to-end rushes down a notch and not always try to put it on his shoulders, especially in the last minutes of the game, but the skill-set of this guy is just unbelievable.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Where were you during the game saying this Leftwing?

It's funny the people who critisize him come out well after everyone has left so there's few to rebut it.

He still showed he was a defensively liability my ass. He did nothing wrong defensively, made no mistakes, had a good game in his own zone.

There is no way Rielly was better that game, no chance. You critisize Murphy for selfish plays yet Rielly made similar plays all game as well, except fewer of them worked out. Murphy got into the zone in the final minutes but the Russians were too good defensively. Why in the world would dump and chase work better?

Leafs fan, and I thought Murphy was better tonight for sure, which is saying a mouthful cause Rielly was amazing tonight.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Murphy was the best player on the ice tonight, I don't know why people are so hard on him. I agree though he has some growing to do to his game, particularly on taking the end-to-end rushes down a notch and not always try to put it on his shoulders, especially in the last minutes of the game, but the skill-set of this guy is just unbelievable.

Because so many hockey fans hate smallish defensemen. Just look at Karlsson threads after the season and I swaer theres some people that wouldnt even want him on there own team. They get so caught up on the negatives and dont see that the positives far outweight them. I mean I just read a post on the Leafs board saying that he thinks Murphy wont even become a NHL player and went on and on about his size and strength being the reason. People act like this is still the clutch and grab NHL where smallish players struggled.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thanks for the input on harrington! Sounds like he played his usual game, maybe not the best tho.

The only less-than-positive assessment was from a source who is anything but reliable when it comes to evaluating Harrington.

He wasn't flashy, but dependable as clockwork. As per usual.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
How did Murray and Jenner do?

Jenner took a bad penalty, but was on the most effective line imo. With Hudon and Danault. Something always seemed to happen when they were on.

Murray got beat (by Yak maybe) in the 1st period, but after that he was pretty solid like I expected. Probably Canada's best all-around D tonight after Murphy who had an exceptional game.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Murphy, Reilly, Hudon, Monahan and Lessio (how has he not been mentioned yet?) all had fantastic games.

Monahan - Strome - Rattie
Hudon - Scheiflele - MacKinnon
Danault - Jenner - Lessio
4th line will be completely up for grabs, as always, come December
Shinkaruk

Looks like a strong final roster to me, assuming Huberdeau makes the NHL. The D needs to step it up, as a group, though.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Murphy, Reilly, Hudon, Monahan and Lessio (how has he not been mentioned yet?) all had fantastic games.

Monahan - Strome - Rattie
Hudon - Scheiflele - MacKinnon
Danault - Jenner - Lessio
4th line will be completely up for grabs, as always, come December
Shinkaruk

Looks like a strong final roster to me, assuming Huberdeau makes the NHL. The D needs to step it up, as a group, though.

Meh I'm underwhelmed especially down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad