2012 Canada - Russia Challenge - Halifax, NS

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Tickets are going on sale in a few hours, what kind of Roster do you think we can expect from Canada? I believe it is born in 93 and later.

A really good one. Not sure if all players are going to be eligiable, or if those with contracts with teams may have to get team clearance? Depends on how close the season is, I guess.

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010
The game is to be held August 13th so I would think everyone would be available, unless injuries are apparent

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
The game is to be held August 13th so I would think everyone would be available, unless injuries are apparent

2 games. 13th and 14th.

It'll also be interesting to see what HC decides to do with 17yr olds as the Ivan Hlinka is going on at the same time I believe.

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010
Tickets for the two games are $88 total ( a bit pricey? this is the east coast ) They have to be bought as a package. I would hope Mackinnon will be on the team even though he is quite a bit younger than what is expected

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I didn't realize it either, definitely going to try to get tickets.

I would think MacKinnon will be a lock, it's all Junior age right? 1995 isn't too young I hope.

Not necessarily.

In the 07 Super Series, Tavares was on the team, however, the other big name 17 year old Steven Stamkos was not. It is of course impt to note that Tavares had already played 2 junior seasons.

I dont think anyone will argue Mackinnon > Stamkos (though hes not leagues behind). That being said, Canada doesnt have as much depth up front (especially in the 94 age group)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Is this close to the Ivan Hlinka tournament?

I bet they roll with that squad with a few of the top 2012's joining like Murray, Dumba, etc.

But those guys may be in some kind of training camp so we'll see.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
I think the fact that the series is in Hali will make MacKinnon a lock :D ...

... Seriously tho, he should make it for sure. So excited for this and the top prospect game in February.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
ye this replaces the summer development camp so i have to think they will bring players with a good chance (if available) to make the WJHC team.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Is this close to the Ivan Hlinka tournament?

I bet they roll with that squad with a few of the top 2012's joining like Murray, Dumba, etc.

But those guys may be in some kind of training camp so we'll see.
The two will overlap unless they changed the usual date of the Ivan Hlinka this year.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
This is the replacement of the world junior camp, theres almost never 17 year olds at this camp, so why would that change now? They're not going to insert hometown players to please the fans.

Exactly. The only guys this should effect are MacKinnon, Monahan and Lazar. Anybody else I'm missing?

It will hurt ticket sales in a big way though. MacKinnon is worth 2000 fans per game :laugh:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
This is the replacement of the world junior camp, theres almost never 17 year olds at this camp, so why would that change now? They're not going to insert hometown players to please the fans.

I see your point but if a casual Halifax Hockey fan saw Hockey Canada putting two "World Junior exhibition games" in their hometown, they would assume there's a good chance Nathan MacKinnion would be involved.

When they first announced Halifax was getting these games I didn't think this was just coincidence that they picked Halifax in mind. I thought it was indication MacKinnion would be there.

Now Hockey Canada just upset the people who just bought tickets.

I understand the Program of Excellence, but if Hockey Canada can make exceptions for 15-year olds to play major juniors, they can certainly make an exception for a 17 year old to go to a World Junior Camp. Hockey Canada can sometimes get to focused on a player's age rather than his ability.

I feel like MacKinnion is almost being punished for Halifax going to the third round of the playoffs because he would have been on the U-18 roster for the World Championships and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Exactly. The only guys this should effect are MacKinnon, Monahan and Lazar. Anybody else I'm missing?

It will hurt ticket sales in a big way though. MacKinnon is worth 2000 fans per game :laugh:

It sucks more for Monahan because he's 18 and they bring draft eligible late-births all the time. Maybe Monahan can go though because he turns 18 this year. MacKinnon likely makes the team, but I don't think they would have brought him anyway. I can't remember that last 17 year old at the summer camp.

These guys are better off at the Ivan Hlinka though anyway.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Also worth noting Monahan has experience with the Program of Excellence already. He was a member of Canada's gold medal entry at last year's Hlinka.

EDIT: For those curious, the 2013's from Canada's Hlinka team last year were Dominic Graham, Hunter Shinkaruk, Kerby Rychel and Monahan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad