2012 Canada - Russia Challenge - Halifax, NS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
I didn't think Hudon would make the WJC's but if he has a strong (a little over PPG) first half with Chicoutimi it may get him a spot on the team. His stock is rising big time with his play in the tournament.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Good to hear, hope Murray has a long and successful career with the Jackets!

Hope so. Been rough patches for CLB with some of their draft picks, hope this guy works out for them. The fans deserve better and hopefully Murray can deliver at the next level. A lot of people and scouts say he'll make the team, and I whole-heartedly agree, the guy is seems like such a smart player.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I didn't think Hudon would make the WJC's but if he has a strong (a little over PPG) first half with Chicoutimi it may get him a spot on the team. His stock is rising big time with his play in the tournament.

What a pick by the habs on that one, Hudon has been great. Never heard of the kid before but he's seems to cementing himself with his play for sure.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
What a pick by the habs on that one, Hudon has been great. Never heard of the kid before but he's seems to cementing himself with his play for sure.

Yup I believe he'll be a great steal. 122nd would never be where I thought he would go after his 16yo season. Kid was a PPG player at 16, and then he kept the same pace at 17 causing his stock to fall as he didn't progress much. 0.95 ---> 1.05 PPG roughly. I don't think his 17yo season will be indicative of his overall future tho, I expect him to break out with the Sags again this season.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Where were you during the game saying this Leftwing?

It's funny the people who critisize him come out well after everyone has left so there's few to rebut it.

He still showed he was a defensively liability my ass. He did nothing wrong defensively, made no mistakes, had a good game in his own zone.

There is no way Rielly was better that game, no chance. You critisize Murphy for selfish plays yet Rielly made similar plays all game as well, except fewer of them worked out. Murphy got into the zone in the final minutes but the Russians were too good defensively. Why in the world would dump and chase work better?

Are you kidding? Rielly never tried to deke out a whole team by himself. I thought he was much smarter when choosing his plays.

That being said, Murphy was NOT a defensive liability today and he broke the game open offensively. He was better this game but I think Rielly has been the better player overall this tournament (consistency). It may just be my homer glasses though.

Madic

May 21, 2008
You critisize Murphy for selfish plays yet Rielly made similar plays all game as well, except fewer of them worked out. Murphy got into the zone in the final minutes but the Russians were too good defensively. Why in the world would dump and chase work better?
Oh, give me strength. Literally just turned the game on (repeat). 7:23 left in the 3rd. Murphy tries to weave through the D instead of putting it in deep and following up. Or ringing it around the boards to his streaking forward corps. Turns it over to the Russian D who goes the other way.

Murphy was great tonight, but his flaws (mostly, trying to do everything himself) didn't suddenly disappear. Rielly completely aside.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Where were you during the game saying this Leftwing?

It's funny the people who critisize him come out well after everyone has left so there's few to rebut it.

He still showed he was a defensively liability my ass. He did nothing wrong defensively, made no mistakes, had a good game in his own zone.

There is no way Rielly was better that game, no chance. You critisize Murphy for selfish plays yet Rielly made similar plays all game as well, except fewer of them worked out. Murphy got into the zone in the final minutes but the Russians were too good defensively. Why in the world would dump and chase work better?

Just because I didn't do any posting during the game doesn't mean I didn't watch it. As a matter of fact I watched it in real time and it is still on my PVR. Attacking me for posting well after the game is low. Sorry that I had other things to do with my time after the game.

I agree, Rielly makes similar plays as well but he definitely picks his spots more. I understand that the calling of an offensive defenseman is to generate offense from the backend and rushing the puck is a given for any offensive d-man but it is always a risk.

Now did I say I always condoned Rielly for doing it? No, not always but he seems to know when to do it and when not to much more so than Murphy who seems to try those solo rushes with much more frequency. Rielly doesn't always succeed but he has the luxury of really good wheels which allow him to get back into position when a rush fails.

Murphy on the other hand is different and doesn't always get back. Some games Murphy gets a lot of success doing it and today was one of those games. I applaud him for it but there are games where they lead to multiple turnovers that the opposing team can capitalize on which I count as defensive liabilities. You never want to give the opposing team too much that they can use it against you.

I just find a player like Rielly more efficient than one like Murphy. In the end, its just my opinion after watching them for a bit and it's fine if you disagree with me.

CrosKinnon

May 24, 2012
Cole Harbour
Yup I believe he'll be a great steal. 122nd would never be where I thought he would go after his 16yo season. Kid was a PPG player at 16, and then he kept the same pace at 17 causing his stock to fall as he didn't progress much. 0.95 ---> 1.05 PPG roughly. I don't think his 17yo season will be indicative of his overall future tho, I expect him to break out with the Sags again this season.

If only the moose had drafted Hudon instead of ****ing Ciampini

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Defense as a group has been terrible. I don't know if that is just the system they are trying to play or if it is the players themselves. The first goal of defense should be to prevent goals. From what I have seen over the past 2 games is too many fancy Dan's on the ice and not enough smash mouth. Dumba looked he didn't even want to hit anyone out there and the guy usually smashes 4 or 5 guys a game in the WHL.

I don't care how good you look when you skate or how fancy you can pass the puck in the offensive zone when you give up 6 goals a game NO ONE has had a "good" game on the defense.

Oct 15, 2008
I thought Murphy and Rielly were unreal on the back-end tonight. I'd love to see them both paired up on the PP (were for a little while), having two guys that can just gain the line without trouble and dominant on the offensive blueline... that's scary for the opposition.

And man, Ryan Murray ain't coming back for the WJC, I can't see how he won't make Columbus, the guy doesn't have a single panic-bone in his body, solid D-men, Columbus are lucky to have him. I definitely see the Scott Neidermeyer comparison, although not a huge amount of flash, but he's got quite the big head between his shoulders. Haven't seen him make a single mistake, despite the huge ice-times in both games.

He really wasnt very good either and was responsible for the winning goal for Russia.

Oct 15, 2008
I didnt see the game but Dumba sucked?

His defensive game and questionable hockeysense is going to get exposed from here on out (WJC and NHL).

You didnt see the game but Dumba sucked.........nonsense, rabble, rabble, repeat stuff Ive read somewhere, garble, garble, hossenfeffer!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The Defense as a group has been terrible. I don't know if that is just the system they are trying to play or if it is the players themselves. The first goal of defense should be to prevent goals. From what I have seen over the past 2 games is too many fancy Dan's on the ice and not enough smash mouth. Dumba looked he didn't even want to hit anyone out there and the guy usually smashes 4 or 5 guys a game in the WHL.

I don't care how good you look when you skate or how fancy you can pass the puck in the offensive zone when you give up 6 goals a game NO ONE has had a "good" game on the defense.
:help: Blame six goals on the defense, and don't mention the goaltending...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
:help: Blame six goals on the defense, and don't mention the goaltending...

Watch the game. Watch those goals again. Outside the 1st goal everyone one of them is easily preventable. Lots of simple dumb mistakes defensively.

They gave up a Shorthanded goal. They gave up goals because they couldn't box anyone out of the front of the net.

They all stunk defensively

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Is Ceci always that brutal? Like, how did this guy get drafted in the first round, he can barely skate. Same with Pelech.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Is Ceci always that brutal? Like, how did this guy get drafted in the first round, he can barely skate. Same with Pelech.

It's the middle of August, guys haven't played in ages.

Pretty much anything you notice in these games should be taken with a grain of salt.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
As per my twitter, Andrei Vasilevski will be starting in goal tonight for Russia.

@TyDilello. Got over 10k followers so might as well follow guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad