Prospect Info: 2012 16th Overall - Tom Wilson, Right Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I am pretty sure I heard oates say that Wilson was just to strong for junior hockey and wouldn't learn anything by playing there. I know I heard vogel say that Wilson be a every night target of young thugs trying to make their bones at his expense.

I don't know if either is valid but it appears it might be part of the caps thinking

Burakovsky95*

Whats wrong about sending him to Hershey again? Am I making things up in my head thinking he's either OHL or NHL this season because of his contract or something?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Whats wrong about sending him to Hershey again? Am I making things up in my head thinking he's either OHL or NHL this season because of his contract or something?

The agreement between the NHL and CHL won't allow Wilson to be sent to Hershey.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If the Caps had a better track record of development and discipline I'd agree with keeping Wilson up despite a smaller current role. I think they're going to keep him up regardless unfortunately. I don't think what he does in the next six games matter much.

If Wilson is mainly to develop through NHL game situations alone then, yeah, I don't think he'll be best served in Washington compared to Plymouth given his role. Keeping him up to get limited game experience and serve as a Hendricks energy fighter of sorts is very questionable. Brouwer, Chimera & Oleksy should have to carry that leadership responsibility. It would likely make all three more effective. Keeping Wilson around to serve as that disposable physical presence maybe plays to his existing strengths but they don't forecheck well enough as a team overall to expect that to translate into offensive upside going forward. He almost has to learn to play more of a skilled game given the way this team tends to attack.

What makes you say we have a bad development and discipline track record??

Seems to me the exact opposite based on the number of young outstanding players we have on our team.

Carlson/Alzner/Ovechkin/Backstrom/(Laich since we developed him)/MJ/Fehr (sans shoulders)/Green/Holtby/Neuvirth/MP+Varlamov etc

All these players are good to incredible NHL players that have lived up to or exceeded expectations in most cases.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

He has to be 20 by Dec 31st (or Jan 1st?) of a given season to be AHL eligible (until his CHL season is done of course, so playoffs are ok like last year), since he was drafted as a CHLer. He won't be this season.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He has to be 20 by Dec 31st (or Jan 1st?) of a given season to be AHL eligible (until his CHL season is done of course, so playoffs are ok like last year), since he was drafted as a CHLer. He won't be this season.

Isn't it either that or have completed 4 CHL seasons? I know it is fairly rare for someone to have done the latter before the former comes into play but I thought that was the case. I just didn't know the date for turning 20.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What makes you say we have a bad development and discipline track record??
Poor habits, whining about penalty disparities, the penchant for convenient excuses and a lack of mental toughness outside of Ovechkin. Their declining possession numbers speak to their wayward direction overall.

To be sure they've integrated many younger players over the years but I don't think they've really developed very many good habits as an organization. Part of it currently is due to just how poor the 4-7D are but there's a lot more to it beyond that.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004

Because he already was Plymouth in the OHL when he was drafted, he has to be sent back if he is not playing int he NHL. If we would have drafted him before he was Plymouth then we could send him to Hershey.

That is why Carrick can go to Hershey and Wilson can not. Even though were drafted the same year, same age, and play for the same OHL team. Carrick was not a member of the Plymouth Whalers when we selected him. So the "return to OHL rule" does not apply.

That is why I would be shocked if Carrick played more than 10 games in the NHL this season. And why I kind of expect Wilson to be with the Caps all year.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Wilson has no business being on the 4th line if we want him to have the opportunity to develop into anything more than a 3rd or 4th liner. I'd prefer to see him get prime minutes in the AHL or OHL.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Obviously we are only 4 games into the season but at this point I think McPhee/Oates very much overestimated their ability to both develop Wilson in the NHL and win hockey games at the same time.

IMO where the Caps are now organizationally they should have been all about winning hockey games this season. If they felt keeping Wilson in the NHL, and making all the other changes needed to accommodate that, put them in the best position to do that then fine but at this point I do not believe I agree.

IMO keeping Perreault to play 3C, with say Erat and Fehr as his wingers and putting Chimera and Ward on the 4th line with Beagle or Latta would be a decent amount better what we have seen so far from the 3rd and 4th lines, regardless of that very soft goal from Chimera last night.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Wilson has no business being on the 4th line if we want him to have the opportunity to develop into anything more than a 3rd or 4th liner. I'd prefer to see him get prime minutes in the AHL.

He can't play in the AHL until Plymouth's OHL season/playoffs are over.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
He can't play in the AHL until Plymouth's OHL season/playoffs are over.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I'd still prefer to see him in the OHL though, especially with the personnel on our 4th line now there really aren't any opportunities for him to develop offensively. If we brought him up the third line and moved Laich to 3C, slotted Erat in as 2LW I wouldn't mind him staying up in the NHL.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I dont see him having anything to develop in the OHL. Yeah, he'll get minutes...but it wont help him improve in any way.

He needs to be getting minutes here...but thats not happening for whatever **** reason.

**** this organization and its stupidity.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I dont see him having anything to develop in the OHL. Yeah, he'll get minutes...but it wont help him improve in any way.
I think it'll improve his skill if it's an area he actively focuses on. Sure he'll be able to manhandle his way around the ice pretty much but he'll also be able to dominate the pace in a way that could really benefit his hockey sense and skill level. Fearing him getting run or something doesn't make much sense. He's a big boy and can handle his own. The potential for that is probably greater if he stays in the NHL and constantly embraces dropping the gloves (esp. if he takes on all customers). And, of course, there's the matter of whether one would prefer having this season count on his entry-level deal or three seasons from now.

At this point I kind of hope they suck for the next five games and it leads to him being sent back to Plymouth and Carrick to Hershey. Wilson earned the games given his pre-season performance but this team is a mess. Hard to see him getting as much out of his situation with all of the current disarray.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
I must be one of the few that am perfectly fine with the way the Caps are using/handling Wilson. I have changed my mind regarding him being in the OHL as I think he has learned everything he can there. He would be so dominant against that competition at this point he may develop bad/lazy habits.

And I have no worries about his TOI with the Caps. Obvioulsy I am a fan and I want to see him play more. But I don't think he is being hurt but this at all either.

I think Oates and GMGM are handling him well. There are a ton of things we can ***** about. Wilson is not really one of them IMO>

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think Wilson gets sent back to Plymouth before that 10th game. Here's why. Has he really produced or stood out that much that he truly deserves more ice time or is it just the fans reaction/excitement that they want him to get more ice time. The kid is 19 years old and I'm sure there are multiple areas in his game he could work on each day by playing a lot compared to the crap ice time he has gotten here. Finally, lets not forget the business aspect of this situation. He's on a very good contract right now and with the way the salary cap is, ELC's are great to have. Burning a year of his ELC to play on the 4th line when clearly there are multiple options to fill his spot doesn't add up and could hurt the Caps and their cap situation down the road.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
I think Wilson gets sent back to Plymouth before that 10th game. Here's why. Has he really produced or stood out that much that he truly deserves more ice time or is it just the fans reaction/excitement that they want him to get more ice time. The kid is 19 years old and I'm sure there are multiple areas in his game he could work on each day by playing a lot compared to the crap ice time he has gotten here. Finally, lets not forget the business aspect of this situation. He's on a very good contract right now and with the way the salary cap is, ELC's are great to have. Burning a year of his ELC to play on the 4th line when clearly there are multiple options to fill his spot doesn't add up and could hurt the Caps and their cap situation down the road.

You are correct about the contract slide. I never knew that. He should be sent back to Plymouth then. No use in wasting a year of his ELC.

As for his development. That is the big question. Is practicind with NHL players and playing 8 minutes a night better than playing with kids and playing 20 minutes per night? That is the big question.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think his minutes will improve as the games go by. Oates commented that he's not getting enough but likes his game. He has an impact. He is already overwhelming big nhl players. Jordan Staal bounced off him last night like he was a concrete pillar.

the season is just starting. no injuries as yet among the forwards. his minutes will increase as the season goes by.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Isn't it either that or have completed 4 CHL seasons? I know it is fairly rare for someone to have done the latter before the former comes into play but I thought that was the case. I just didn't know the date for turning 20.

Yes, my understanding is the date is to turn 20yo by end of day December 31, so turns 20yo in this calendar year (basically, if the player qualifies as an overager they can be sent to the AHL instead) OR has credit for 4 junior seasons. I believe it's 30 or 40GP to get credit for the junior season, but even if it's less than that, it's some number of GP.

As to Wilson, to me the lack of minutes is just one more indicator they plan to keep him on the NHL roster and are managing his minutes, etc. If this was a trial run leading up to the 10 NHL GP marker, I'd think/hope they'd audition him in a different role and test him out a bit more. I prefer they do that and then make a decision about whether to keep him, but count me as one who doesn't have an issue with him being sent back to Plymouth. Yes, the contract is one factor but not the only one.

I think this article flew under the radar, but I thought Vellucci's comments were interesting about Carrick and Wilson. Yes, I know he has reason to want one or both back, but in particular, interesting what he says about what he thinks Wilson needs to work on. link

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's the right move. No sense wasting a year against lower competition. Plenty of time for him to earn more icetime. It's not like they're unfairly keeping him over the other NHL ready super prospects we have... :sarcasm:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad we are keeping Wilson up. He is an entertaining hockey player learning behind perhaps the best RW in the world.

Hockey players have finite careers. Some of you may have wanted that top prospect simmering in Hershey for a year or 2, but not me.

I want to see all top prospects that are physically ready here, contributing. Don't worry, he won't forget how to shoot playing on our 4th line. Trust me.

Practice time with Ovi and the much higher echelon level of players, + playing time > PP1 and anything, in Plymouth.

If we didn't keep him up here, count me as pissed for moving our best center last playoffs for a 9 game tryout for a kid we knew we like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad