Prospect Info: 2012 16th Overall - Tom Wilson, Right Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
This thread is dedicated to talk about Tom Wilson.

This probably won't stick but a possible nickname for him is "Biff" (actor Tom Wilson played Biff in the Back to the Future series).

Last edited:

AE

May 10, 2010
This thread is dedicated to talk about Tom Wilson (since I didn't really see one made after he was drafted).

This probably won't still but a possible nickname for him is "Biff" (actor Tom Wilson played Biff in the Back to the Future series).

That actually works great in Swedish. :)
Biff = someone who is big and strong.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
That actually works great in Swedish. :)
Biff = someone who is big and strong.

well in English is an acronym for

Big
Ignorant
Fat
eff.

Interesting choice. He brings some needed heavier weight snarl that we need. If the guy who can wreak havoc on the fore check and force the opposition to keep their head up then it'll certainly be a good pick. If his scoring hands develop then this could be a great pick.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
He will get a look at prospect camp. If he doesn't wow there he will go back to his junior team. If he does impress he'll get an invite to the next camp. I'd love to see him be able to step up and make the team this year but it's unrealistic to expect any of our pics this year to step right in.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Why? Makes so much more sense to send him back to junior to develop his offensive game.

Agreed.

Because of injuries he was given a higher role in the playoffs and he acquitted himself well putting up 7 goals and 13 points in 13 games. But in the regular season he only scored 9 goals and put up 27 points in 48 games. He very much needs to further develop his offensive game and show he can produce over the course of the long regular season.

Rushing him to the NHL simply because he is currently a big, strong guy would be a huge mistake IMO for his long term development.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
If everything pans out, he could be that rare asset — a power forward with something of a scoring touch, a bull in a china shop, and an intimidating presence.

So much has to go right for players not at the elite level (like a Bobby Ryan) to make that evolution, though.

You could poke holes here and there, but let's start with skating. When skating isn't a strong suit in juniors, the transition to the NHL is liable to be an eye opener.

If he's just a pugilist, well that's not a #16 pick. I'll love it if he grows into a decent NHL skater with hands and snarl. If he brings size and snarl and character, but no hands and awful skating, that's a bad pick.

Drafting power forwards, unless we're talking about special players, is such a crapshoot. Sure, he could be a Lucic. The odds are longer than I'd like for a pick that high, with safer producers still on the board. Hope for the best.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The thing about the Wilson pick for me is if you told me before the draft the Caps were going to deal the 11th and 16th to move up to say 4th to select Forsberg I would have been perfectly happy with that. Since they were able to get Forsberg with the 11th pick whoever they grabbed at 16 didn't matter too much. That being said if they had taken Teravainen with that pick I would have been much happier...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I've seen that a lot and can't agree. What they do with the #11 pick has no bearing on whether or not they played it the right way at #16.

It says a ton when a common defense of their strategy at #16 is to say, "yeah... but did you see what they did at #11?! Wow!"

Classic misdirection.

Love the Ribeiro pickup, given the cost.

Love that Forsberg slipped. Should be a top-six producer.

Hope the Wilson pick pans out, but the odds are long for a pick that high. They gave up quality assets to get two first rounders. It's not a throwaway. You have to make that one count too. It doesn't matter how great they did at #11.

They gambled, but at #16 you didn't have to gamble. There was plenty of solid enough talent still there. Hope for a win, because it's liable to be a big win if it works out. Could be in Bertuzzi's class.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well the thing is I genuinely believe they had Wilson as the highest rated guy on their board at the time. I don't think they said, 'well we didn't expect to get Forsberg so lets roll the dice on a huge boom or bust risk just to do it.'

Things could have played out much differently and they could have ended up with a much lesser player than Forsberg and still would have picked Wilson IMO and for that reason it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it would in that scenario.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i see forsberg is 17 years old, i feel like i have to wait 3-4 years before he can show up

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
But who would you have taken at 16? A defenseman who's stuck in Hershey in two seasons because he can't get into the lineup?

A forward with a few knocks?

I think as a club, the team needed a guy in the system to project out with some snarl and jam. Maybe the 1st round was too early to take one, but then again, others were ready to snag this one.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They gambled, but at #16 you didn't have to gamble. There was plenty of solid enough talent still there. Hope for a win, because it's liable to be a big win if it works out. Could be in Bertuzzi's class.

mcphee is risk averse or didnt you get the memo?

Liberati0n*

It says a ton when a common defense of their strategy at #16 is to say, "yeah... but did you see what they did at #11?! Wow!"

It's a valid defense. It's not that they got someone terrible at 16. They made a riskier pick. The fact that they were able to pick Forsberg at 11 enables them to make a risky pick. Like you said, if things go right for Wilson he will be a rare, sought-after breed of player. It's perfectly fine for their draft strategy to change based on the players they pick up as it goes.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
McPhee during last year's draft:

We may not have done that five years ago, but we did it this time because – again – my philosophy’s always been the same: in the first round you've got to swing for the fences. Get a difference-maker, not just a guy that's going to play, but get a difference-maker and we didn't see that in this draft.

Seems contrary to McPhee's draft philosphy to draft the safe guy in the first round.

Last edited:

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
I'm hoping for Milan Lucic but I'm expecting a more rabid Eric Fehr.

i see forsberg is 17 years old, i feel like i have to wait 3-4 years before he can show up

Still it's going to be nice to see some prospects in the pipeline. If they keep drafting like this they won't have to rebuild again for a while.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I had Wilson ranked 12th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote.

Easily one of the most heavily debated players in this year's draft. The debate is clearly about his offensive potential. Some believe he has some. Others believe he doesn't. I think I lie somewhere in the middle. I'll start by telling you what Wilson is. Wilson is absolutely a throw back to the power forwards of old. He's an absolute monster out there physically. He lowers the boom efficiently and consistently, and picks his spots well without sacrificing positioning or potential scoring chances. His physicality on the forecheck is especially outstanding as defenseman can hear him coming a mile away, resulting in panic and turnovers. His presence on the ice is known at all times. Wilson is a terrific fighter and a feared pugilist. He's also a beast in front of the net; a near immovable object for OHL defenseman once he gets position near the crease. He's also a great skater for a big man and has explosive quickness which he uses to get to loose pucks quickly. Now here's where my questions come in. How much potential as a goal scorer does Wilson have? For me the answer depends on the development of his shot, as I don't see his puck skills developing to the point where he becomes an offensive dynamo on drives to the net. He has good hands and that allows him to get a lot of goals in close, but to be a truly effective goal scorer he's going to have to work on improving his shot in the slot, especially on the one timer. Another question is, how's his hockey sense? For me, the answer is I don't think he's got terrific goal scoring instincts. But does he really need them if he can be an effective crease crasher. With his size, even if he's a tad behind the play offensively, he should be able to outmuscle his opponent to complete scoring chances. At the end of the day, I take him in the first round, but not as high as he's likely to go after a terrific playoff with Plymouth. After putting up a point per game in the postseason and showing teams what he's capable of offensively, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if an NHL team takes him inside the lottery (top 14).

Liberati0n*

His physicality on the forecheck is especially outstanding as defenseman can hear him coming a mile away, resulting in panic and turnovers.

This is the part that really excites me about him. Thanks for your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad