2007 Born for the 2023 Draft

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Literally every team takes family, family friends, etc in later rounds at some point. It’s not a big deal. The entire second half of the draft is long shots and/or NCAA commits anyway.

Honestly they should cut down the draft to 10 rounds that way the U18 draft would hold more weight if they keep on insisting on having it.
U18 draft has had plenty of impact for the teams that team it seriously. People complain how useless the late rounds are, but maybe if teams stopped using it on family friends we'd see more players come out of it? Guess there's no problem with the players parents who bought OHL draft slots last year either?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
U18 draft has had plenty of impact for the teams that team it seriously. People complain how useless the late rounds are, but maybe if teams stopped using it on family friends we'd see more players come out of it? Guess there's no problem with the players parents who bought OHL draft slots last year either?
How many OHLers do think there are in a draft? In any given draft you get around 100-120 players that suit up in the OHL. So at best you have 6 whole rounds of OHL players. Of those 120, probably 75 of them make an impact for their teams at some point. So it’s more like 4 rounds to build your team and a couple more for bit players. The vast majority of players drafted won’t sniff the OHL. Teams take it plenty serious. There just isn’t 15 rounds worth of talent out there.

Puck Possession

Oct 13, 2022
At the Rink
Greyhounds did well. On top of Martin and Hayes they grabbed a talented Halton F in 5th rd pick Brady Smith who has size, skill and speed. Late birthdate 4th rd pick Solomon was best Dman in the Alliance, plays with an edge, skates very well and a PP/PK guy who played all tough minutes with Martin in Waterloo. Another couple gems in 6th in big F Jordan Charron, plays a fast and heavy game and Sébastien Dell'Elce, a silky smooth high IQ LH dman. Zuyev also highly skilled Dman and Mainville nice size and hands. They also had a few other solid picks with potential.

Reactions: HF92

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
How many OHLers do think there are in a draft? In any given draft you get around 100-120 players that suit up in the OHL. So at best you have 6 whole rounds of OHL players. Of those 120, probably 75 of them make an impact for their teams at some point. So it’s more like 4 rounds to build your team and a couple more for bit players. The vast majority of players drafted won’t sniff the OHL. Teams take it plenty serious. There just isn’t 15 rounds worth of talent out there.
yup.. 100-120 from every draft and you think scouts can identify them with 100% certainty at still relative young age of 16 , hence the need for only 6 rounds? . That’s funny . This scouting business sounds easy:)

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
That's called nepotism
Ok...sure, what's your point? The GM has to answer to the Owners, if he's only picking crap players because they're family or friends, he's going to lose his job.

As a fan, I couldn't give two craps about a late round pick being a family friend. I'm more concerned about two 5th round picks who are committed to the USDT...if there's zero chance of getting them to report, those are two wasted 5th round picks and a 5th rounder is someone who very well could play in the OHL someday.

Of course I'm just using that as an example, I have no problem with those two picks especially because one of our minority owners has a kid on that Little Caesars team who we also drafted (Cooper Bordeaux). It might look strange to see so many Caesars kids drafted by one team but when you have that connection with the kids/parents, it's a much more likely scenario.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
yup.. 100-120 from every draft and you think scouts can identify them with 100% certainty at still relative young age of 16 , hence the need for only 6 rounds? . That’s funny . This scouting business sounds easy:)
That was not my point.

I’m gonna drop this so this thread doesn’t get hijacked.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Greyhounds did well. On top of Martin and Hayes they grabbed a talented Halton F in 5th rd pick Brady Smith who has size, skill and speed. Late birthdate 4th rd pick Solomon was best Dman in the Alliance, plays with an edge, skates very well and a PP/PK guy who played all tough minutes with Martin in Waterloo. Another couple gems in 6th in big F Jordan Charron, plays a fast and heavy game and Sébastien Dell'Elce, a silky smooth high IQ LH dman. Zuyev also highly skilled Dman and Mainville nice size and hands. They also had a few other solid picks with potential.

I felt like the Hounds had their best draft in 5 years....

Reactions: DWI Dale

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
That was not my point.

I’m gonna drop this so this thread doesn’t get hijacked.

Just off the top of my head...

Tyler Boucher 7th round pick
Matthew papais 7th round pick
Mathias Onuska 7th round pick
Luka Profaca 8th round pick
Ryan Humphrey 8th round pick
Patrick Leaver 8th round pick

Isaac Nurse is an OHL champion and was an 11th round pick.

I completely disagree with the 6 rounds only thing you said.

Reactions: djscooter

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Just off the top of my head...

Tyler Boucher 7th round pick
Matthew papais 7th round pick
Mathias Onuska 7th round pick
Luka Profaca 8th round pick
Ryan Humphrey 8th round pick
Patrick Leaver 8th round pick

Isaac Nurse is an OHL champion and was an 11th round pick.

I completely disagree with the 6 rounds only thing you said.

Cullen Mclean was a 15th and played in some meaningful games for the hounds.

I felt like the Hounds had their best draft in 5 years....

Here's hoping!

Reactions: HF92

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Anthony Cirelli went undrafted and was a walk on tryout for Oshawa....look at him now.
Colin Miller undrafted OHL invite, Michael Bunting 9 th round selection, Tye Cartier 8th rounder and AHL rookie of the year thus year, Tyler Savard 11th round Hound pick now with Barrie, etc

Reactions: DWI Dale

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Cullen Mclean was a 15th and played in some meaningful games for the hounds.
Even though he was drafted, he was quite a player in U18 before he made SOO. Can't say for sure but im sure it played a role in his development...

In saying that who are some of the undrafted*** 2007s that could be very good in U18 next year and have a second chance?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Im not sure why so much fuss is being made over the OHL draft. Its barely a draft to begin with with players willing to report to some teams and not others. If you knocked it down to 8 rounds, late developing players would still make rosters as redrafts in u 18 draft and in the following draft if they dont qualify for u18. Players would still make teams as undrafted free agents and get invited to camps.

Im not professing to have an awnser, but the drafts issues run way deeprr than most of us admit

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Im not sure why so much fuss is being made over the OHL draft. Its barely a draft to begin with with players willing to report to some teams and not others. If you knocked it down to 8 rounds, late developing players would still make rosters as redrafts in u 18 draft and in the following draft if they dont qualify for u18. Players would still make teams as undrafted free agents and get invited to camps.

Im not professing to have an awnser, but the drafts issues run way deeprr than most of us admit
Yes. That’s why it’s called a “Priority Selection” I believe. This is basically an avenue for teams to pick players they want or more importantly, can recruit. Been that way for several decades. At least as long as I’ve been alive.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Yes. That’s why it’s called a “Priority Selection” I believe. This is basically an avenue for teams to pick players they want or more importantly, can recruit. Been that way for several decades. At least as long as I’ve been alive.

Yeah honestly the league might be better off going with a tender system like the USHL. Give teams 2 tenders each a 1st and 2nd round tender to replace thier picks (if they have one). Would all allow teams to sign players before the draft skiping the whole charade and still costing teams picks

Reactions: Ferguson Jenkins

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I hate to pile on (it’s really so not my thing), but I couldn’t help but notice that the Brantford 99ers had 3 players chosen in the priority selection this year (all late-rounders). One, predictably, by the Brantford-Hamilton Bulldogs. The other two? Niagara. Sigh.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I hate to pile on (it’s really so not my thing), but I couldn’t help but notice that the Brantford 99ers had 3 players chosen in the priority selection this year (all late-rounders). One, predictably, by the Brantford-Hamilton Bulldogs. The other two? Niagara. Sigh.

Nothing wrong with Niagara / St Catherine or the people from it, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: