2007 Born for the 2023 Draft

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I felt like the Hounds did a good job in the later rounds. Brady Smith in the 5th round, John Collins-Williams in the 9th and Cullum Mainville in the 12th.

Have heard positive about Charron as well
I really like Brady Smith! Great job Hounds

Reactions: HF92

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
What was everyone's favourite pick (steal if you will) from each round?
1st - Carson Cameron (Petes)
2nd - Snelgrove (Guelph)
3rd - Stark (Kitchener) / WIlson (NB) / Avery (Brantford)
4th - Hull (Flint) / Lane (Missy)
5th - Prud'homme (OS) / Smith (NB)
6th - Dennis (Brantford)
7th - Del colombo (Petes) / Giancola (Kitchener)
8th - Johnston (Guelph) / Beamish (Sarnia)
9th - Vallaincourt (Missy) / Knight (Sudbury)
10th - Read (London)
11th - Traynor (Sudbury) / Kingwell (Ottawa)
12th - Boyle (Kingston) / Mereiles (Kitchener)
13th - Bruining (Barries)
14th - Lumsden (Ottawa)
15th - Derbyshire (Sudbury)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hull is one of the top kids not selected yet, so it would make sense. Difficult to say.
Me again here to pick your brains, any picks that stand out for Ottawa on day 2? Who can be a contributor down the road not including the two usntdp kids who are just darts. By the way it was a lot of fun to read your comments on this thread and I appreciate your expertise.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Me again here to pick your brains, any picks that stand out for Ottawa on day 2? Who can be a contributor down the road not including the two usntdp kids who are just darts. By the way it was a lot of fun to read your comments on this thread and I appreciate your expertise.
Yeah - I really liked the selections of Ryan White and Ethan Brassard. the other guys I don’t have too much to say.

Brassard in paticular should have went higher in my opinion (possible NCAA kid?). He is a consistent offensive contributor. Maybe not necessarily able to drive play himself, but always positions himself well to make plays and score, good skater and gives a good effort.
As for Ryan White - he’s the son of Senators legend Todd White. Another kid that isn’t a guaranteed commit. Strong offensive game, good speed and makes good reads.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OHLFAN2001

Apr 22, 2023
Yeah - I really liked the selections of Ryan White and Ethan Brassard. the other guys I don’t have too much to say.

Brassard in paticular should have went higher in my opinion (possible NCAA kid?). He is a consistent offensive contributor. Maybe not necessarily able to drive play himself, but always positions himself well to make plays and score, good skater and gives a good effort.
As for Ryan White - he’s the son of Senators legend Todd White. Another kid that isn’t a guaranteed commit. Strong offensive game, good speed and makes good reads.
I watched Brassard several times through out the year. Although he is undesized, he has one of the highest compete levels in the age group. He won't crack a lineup next year but, he will surely be an effective OHL player in his sophomore year.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

OHLFAN2001

Apr 22, 2023
Ottawa is going big risk, big reward. I feel like they are trying to lure Americans that have aspirations of going to the NCAA.

Not a bad plan if you can make it happen. Those boys are good hockey players........

But

American players grow up in a different system with different cultural values. NCAA or Team USA is paramount to just about anything Ontario has to offer.

The one catch.....stardom doesn't set in for an NCAA rookie until 20+ years old. Teams like Kitch or London house 7-10k fans a night with NHL scouts making notes from the cheap seats. The USHL is highly scouted but, the Ontario Hockey League still reigns Supreme as the hockey hotbed.

If they can pull whitehead, Mckinney and Barnett they are laughing. If they can't.....everyone else is.

Reactions: sirius67fan

hockeyguy77

Apr 12, 2023
Out of curiosity...
What are the chances of a 10th - 15th round pick on actually making the team.
Also why did Ryan Jacobs(G) of the Markham Waxers get picked. That team is really not great and he isn't helping much either.

hockeyguy77

Apr 12, 2023
Out of curiosity...
Also why did Ryan Jacobs(G) of the Markham Waxers get picked. That team is really not great and he isn't helping much either.
Not trying to hate on him or anything but there were many other goalies that haven't been picked yet.
Gabe Donohue
Kayden Newton
Armellin twins
Daniel Giusti
Were picked after him, and there are many more that were not even drafted.
I get the idea of that since he is on a bad team he should be better, but there is a reason why the best goalies tend to want to play on the best teams.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Out of curiosity...
Approximate odds..
1-3 rd round- over 90% chance
4-10- coin flip 50%
11-15- have a 15% chance of dressing for an OHL game

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Clear winners from day 1 include the Storm, Wolves and Knights in my opinion.

Losers are the Greyhounds, Spitfires and IceDogs.

Highest rated kids from my list that haven’t been selected include:

Lev Katzin
Brendan Gerber
Aiden Lane
Casey Bridgewater
Chase Hull
Callum Mainville
Isaac Oldenhof
Jayden Connors
Drew McClennon
Any thoughts why Gerber slipped to the 6th round?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just guessing here, but could it be that his success/stats are inflated due to playing with Brady Martin all year?

Years ago I remember that a Stamkos’ line mate in his OHL draft year (Kelly Geoffrey) was considered a bust at this level - mostly due to his inflated stats in his draft year playing with Stamkos.

Some said here in Kitchener that the same thing happened to Valade as he was Cuylle’s linemate in his OHL draft year. As a 1st rounder, Valade was a little less than impressive.

Maybe teams just kept avoiding Gerber for this reason?

Again. Just a guess.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Clear winners from day 1 include the Storm, Wolves and Knights in my opinion.

Losers are the Greyhounds, Spitfires and IceDogs.

Highest rated kids from my list that haven’t been selected include:

Lev Katzin
Brendan Gerber
Aiden Lane
Casey Bridgewater
Chase Hull
Callum Mainville
Isaac Oldenhof
Jayden Connors
Drew McClennon

Keep your head on a swivel on the Spits board. ( just kidding)
But love the unbiased thoughts.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

OHLFAN2001

Apr 22, 2023
Gerber is a nice MM player. Good compete. The OHL/NHL drafts are projections into the future. Look at the right wing prospects more closely

Addy, Moses and Royston are big bodies with NHL upside.

Cloutier, Tesherna,Weir, Lane, and Lam have big OHL upside

Gerber is a good player but, he his not in the same class as these players. I wouldn't say it is a slide as much as a good pick in the 6th round

Reactions: dirty12

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Steal of the draft, Cru$ Fergu$on to sag in the 15th. 5’4 6 points in AA as a forward.

haha..Such and Embarrassing look on Saggy AND the OHL! Love to see the ‘scouting report’ Mo’money babay..lol

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
haha..Such and Embarrassing look on Saggy AND the OHL! Love to see the ‘scouting report’ Mo’money babay..lol
Sounds like the GM knows the kid and made him a 15th round pick. Not that big of deal in my opinion…

Round 15, 296th Overall - Cruz Ferguson

General Manager Dave Drinkill: "So Cruz Ferguson is a highly skilled player, one that needs to develop a little bit off the ice as he's a little bit undersized, but he's a late birthday. I know he puts in the work, he trains hard, he's from my hometown of Barrie, Ontario, and I know his family. He has a lot of skill and I know he will keep developing physically as a player."

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Out of curiosity...

Approximate odds..
1-3 rd round- over 90% chance
4-10- coin flip 50%
11-15- have a 15% chance of dressing for an OHL game

This is a great starting point and we can easily calculate how many players this would equal.

With 20 selections made each round, the above odds would yield the following players from each round
1-3 -> 18 players each round
4-10 -> 10 players each round
11-15 -> 3 players each round
total = 139

139 OHL players from each priority draft sounds high to me; it's probably closer to 5 spots per team or 100 from each draft. Shave a few percentage points off each round and you are probably pretty close.

Reactions: BigHitter67

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Sounds like the GM knows the kid and made him a 15th round pick. Not that big of deal in my opinion…

Round 15, 296th Overall - Cruz Ferguson

General Manager Dave Drinkill: "So Cruz Ferguson is a highly skilled player, one that needs to develop a little bit off the ice as he's a little bit undersized, but he's a late birthday. I know he puts in the work, he trains hard, he's from my hometown of Barrie, Ontario, and I know his family. He has a lot of skill and I know he will keep developing physically as a player."

.Yeah I took this pick as the GM knows the kids family, knows he has more physical development to do (hey maybe his dad is 6-3), and being a late birthday knows he can hold his rights for a couple of years and see what happens. All 15th rounders are dart throws. Noone is expecting this kid on a roster this year or next

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Steal of the draft, Cru$ Fergu$on to sag in the 15th. 5’4 6 points in AA as a forward.

Is this one of those pay to be selected players we have heard about? :sarcasm:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I don't think so...sounds like it's more I don't really care who I'm picking in this round so I'm going to pick my friend's kid to give him a thrill. He'll get to come to town, participate in training camp and the GM can visit with his family friends.
That's called nepotism

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
That's called nepotism
Literally every team takes family, family friends, etc in later rounds at some point. It’s not a big deal. The entire second half of the draft is long shots and/or NCAA commits anyway.

Honestly they should cut down the draft to 10 rounds that way the U18 draft would hold more weight if they keep on insisting on having it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad