Confirmed with Link: 2 years extension for Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I still maintain the thought that a 1-2-3 center line of Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller is strong enough, with some actual top 6 wingers, to compete against the best teams.

That's if they had they actually focused on readying Galchenyuk for 1C duties all those years. Hell, if they had split 1C duties between both of them in the last few years, chances are Plek wouldn't have commanded 6m.

But I'm not opposed to a change either. We're still short two top6 to fill the wings, so having 6m invested in our 2C might prove too costly going forward.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I still maintain the thought that a 1-2-3 center line of Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller is strong enough, with some actual top 6 wingers, to compete against the best teams.

That's if they had they actually focused on readying Galchenyuk for 1C duties all those years. Hell, if they had split 1C duties between both of them in the last few years, chances are Plek wouldn't have commanded 6m.

But I'm not opposed to a change either. We're still short two top6 to fill the wings, so having 6m invested in our 2C might prove too costly going forward.

Well said...agreed 100%

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Stats when trailing

YVyqHWX.png

Just not a player that can be trusted to step up his game

Of course, you didn't bother to look at the "Tied" and "Close" options, did you. Wouldn't want to show that Plekanec is 2nd on our team in Pts/60 in those important game situations or anything, or how he ranks next to that list of players in those regards, either. Because... cherry pick to create a talking point.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Nah I just watch every minute of every game.

But just conveniently forgot about DD and Pacioretty - two players who ACTUALLY dog it the most "by far" on the team. That doesn't serve the purpose of your argument/rhetoric, though, so I get it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But just conveniently forgot about DD and Pacioretty - two players who ACTUALLY dog it the most "by far" on the team. That doesn't serve the purpose of your argument/rhetoric, though, so I get it.

Yeah,
You have point I didn't word it correctly.
Pleky does it better is all. ;)

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Of course, you didn't bother to look at the "Tied" and "Close" options, did you. Wouldn't want to show that Plekanec is 2nd on our team in Pts/60 in those important game situations or anything, or how he ranks next to that list of players in those regards, either. Because... cherry pick to create a talking point.

He goes as his team and teammates go, you'll never see Pleks elevate his team and dig the team out of a hole. He just doesn't have that ability nor does he seem to apply himself enough in those situations. I guess we shouldn't expect from our highest paid forward though, that would be way too much to ask I suppose.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Patches, at least, has an elite skill - and it's an important one. Pleks really has nothing going for him when he starts to dog it, which is increasingly common nowadays.

I think most of us have become complacent to his mediocrity because him and DD and Eller are all we're used to.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
He goes as his team and teammates go, you'll never see Pleks elevate his team and dig the team out of a hole. He just doesn't have that ability nor does he seem to apply himself enough in those situations. I guess we shouldn't expect from our highest paid forward though, that would be way too much to ask I suppose.

Expecting him to produce like out "highest paid forward" is such an arbitrary distinction when it is clear he isn't supposed to be our best one. Furthermore, like most good teams, you should have several forwards making 7m+, which of course would have the expectations that people are trying to apply to Plekanec.

People make such a fuss over dollar figures. If he made 5m/y would you complain? Plekanec' value isn't just expressed comparing his salary to his production, there is value in the very fact that he is on the team as a top 6 centre. Contrary to what some may think, cap space is only as valuable as you can actually fill it. It should not at all be surprising that if he was a free agent we would struggle to actually sign a top 6 centre. And further, if we WERE to sign one, he would also probably be overpaid by a million or so. And then you have the same problem you had with Plekanec.

He's a top 6 centre, who scores 50-60 points with strong defensive play. He tends to soften up and have his scoring decline in the playoffs. But certainly we are better with him than without him if we consider the context in a realistic way. There are several players whose movement is much more critical.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Expecting him to produce like out "highest paid forward" is such an arbitrary distinction when it is clear he isn't supposed to be our best one. Furthermore, like most good teams, you should have several forwards making 7m+, which of course would have the expectations that people are trying to apply to Plekanec.

People make such a fuss over dollar figures. If he made 5m/y would you complain? Plekanec' value isn't just expressed comparing his salary to his production, there is value in the very fact that he is on the team as a top 6 centre. Contrary to what some may think, cap space is only as valuable as you can actually fill it. It should not at all be surprising that if he was a free agent we would struggle to actually sign a top 6 centre. And further, if we WERE to sign one, he would also probably be overpaid by a million or so. And then you have the same problem you had with Plekanec.

He's a top 6 centre, who scores 50-60 points with strong defensive play. He tends to soften up and have his scoring decline in the playoffs. But certainly we are better with him than without him if we consider the context in a realistic way. There are several players whose movement is much more critical.

Better with him, than without?

I mean, sure....if part of your theory is that we're getting rid of him without gaining anything in return.

But that can be applied to many players on the team

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Better with him, than without?

I mean, sure....if part of your theory is that we're getting rid of him without gaining anything in return.

But that can be applied to many players on the team

It is not very realistic to suggest that you trade Plekanec for good value+sign a player who contributes just as much as Plekanec for a similar contract in free agency. Nor is it realistic to suggest using the return in that proposed trade for a better top 6 centre, or at least once with a better contract.

The only scenarios that would really justify moving him would be someone overpaying or Stamkos signing and it's impossible to make room elsewhere.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is not very realistic to suggest that you trade Plekanec for good value+sign a player who contributes just as much as Plekanec for a similar contract in free agency. Nor is it realistic to suggest using the return in that proposed trade for a better top 6 centre, or at least once with a better contract.

The only scenarios that would really justify moving him would be someone overpaying or Stamkos signing and it's impossible to make room elsewhere.
How are any of those scenarios unrealistic?

Seem pretty plausible to me, seems like typical roster moves that teams make every offseason

Furthermore, I think the Habs have in-house replacements for Plekanec already personally

I think between Galchenuk and Eller, they're more than capable of taking some of the responsibilities Plekanec had between both of them, at a fraction of the cost mind you.

This theory that Plekanec irreplaceable is false. He's not a core player on this team, he's just compensated as one.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
If Plekanec was not resigned he would have been the most coveted player at the trade deadline. We would have fetch at the very lesst a 1st rounder. It would have help the tank for a top5. Hudon could have had a chance. We could have saved up 6,5M$ on the cap and had a chance for Stamkos.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How are any of those scenarios unrealistic?

Seem pretty plausible to me, seems like typical roster moves that teams make every offseason

Well, seems pretty unlikely when you're unable to even identify who would represent an "value+" upgrade, let alone identify ones from that list that are available for trade.

Furthermore, I think the Habs have in-house replacements for Plekanec already personally

I think between Galchenuk and Eller, they're more than capable of taking some of the responsibilities Plekanec had between both of them, at a fraction of the cost mind you.

This theory that Plekanec irreplaceable is false. He's not a core player on this team, he's just compensated as one.

Well, if we DO have core players, they better start actually providing more than Plekanec does someday, because you can't double shift both Galchenyuk AND Eller all game...

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
If Plekanec was not resigned he would have been the most coveted player at the trade deadline. We would have fetch at the very lesst a 1st rounder. It would have help the tank for a top5. Hudon could have had a chance. We could have saved up 6,5M$ on the cap and had a chance for Stamkos.

Yes I agree. Bergevin is quick to pull the trigger it's ridiculous. He signs Byron to a 3 year deal then aquires 2 more identical type players. In regards to Stamkos I strongly doubt MB could come near aquirering him. This guy is worst then Rejean Houle.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Yes I agree. Bergevin is quick to pull the trigger it's ridiculous. He signs Byron to a 3 year deal then aquires 2 more identical type players. In regards to Stamkos I strongly doubt MB could come near aquirering him. This guy is worst then Rejean Houle.

I don't think you understand how much of a disaster Houle was... either that or you have buried that pain so deep that you have simply forgotten that historically epic end of days...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Are you aware that Stamkos has a whole 6 points more than Plekanec this year?

I wouldn't touch Stamkos with 10-ft pole this summer. He's gonna get too much money and term for what he'll bring going forward.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I wouldn't touch Stamkos with 10-ft pole this summer. He's gonna get too much money and term for what he'll bring going forward.
Stamkos had achieved more in his first three seasons than Pleks has all his career.

He's having a tough go this year, and last... probably, but he's still one of the best scorers and players in the league. If we sign him at ~10m and "only" get 70pt seasons out of him, we'd still be ahead than if we kept the epitome of mediocrity Pleks+DD at the same cost.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Love the guy. He was money so many years for this team. With Kovalev he was magical. But the years are taking their toll...

With DD gone, Pleks isn't hiding under the radar anymore. He's completely inadequate as a 1C. On the verge of being inadequate for a 2C. He just doesn't have that jump anymore. Club better think of contingency plans for the future.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Love the guy. He was money so many years for this team. With Kovalev he was magical. But the years are taking their toll...

With DD gone, Pleks isn't hiding under the radar anymore. He's completely inadequate as a 1C. On the verge of being inadequate for a 2C. He just doesn't have that jump anymore. Club better think of contingency plans for the future.
What used to be a massive attribute - his consistency - has become a massive detriment, he's become complacent and dogs it far too often. I dislike what I see about him, his game, his attitude, his demeanor, everything.

BargainBin really, REALLY shouldn't have extended him 5 games into the season. I don't think even an offense starved team like Arizona would take him without us retaining some salary. He's likely too expensive for Carolina's tastes too. :cry:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

It isnt all about points production.

Plekanec serve no purpose and suck in the POs. Stamkos has good production in the POs, is a dangerous weapon and has leadership. Hell, why am I comparing those two, I should even have to explain myself.

Plekanec sucks and the only reason he has points its because hes been played top3 minutes even if he is just a 3rd line centerman. Even Dale Weise can score 20 goals when played on the first line.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

When Bergevin trades Price for peanuts then you have an argument. Just because he hasn't fixed the scoring problem doesn't mean he destroyed the franchise like Houle did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad