Confirmed with Link: 2 years extension for Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think he is an elite second line centre but I also don't think he is paid like one. The Stastny contract.. that is the going rate for veteran second line centres. For a guy who produces 50-60 points, with very strong defensive play, I don't think six million for two years is too much. We don't have a replacement. Yes he slows down in the playoffs, like everyone but Subban, Eller and perhaps Petry on this team. That shouldn't excuse him, but I don't think it makes sense to single him out either. And when he is your best player in your position of great need, when it is hardly very apparent that Staal, Backes or any centre available by trade would be an upgrade.. Plekanec on the team for the next bit becomes comfortable.

is it fair to wonder, given the current needs the Habs have, whether or not that 6M salary for the next 2 years would be better spent on a different, more impactful player?

It's not that Plekanec is a bad player, quite the opposite actually...but he's misused by the coaching staff and it's resulted in the GM overpaying him based on that usage.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
is it fair to wonder, given the current needs the Habs have, whether or not that 6M salary for the next 2 years would be better spent on a different, more impactful player?

It's not that Plekanec is a bad player, quite the opposite actually...but he's misused by the coaching staff and it's resulted in the GM overpaying him based on that usage.

Yes it is.

Who is a more impactful centre in free agency that is available? Stamkos would be great but he's a pipe dream; I don't think Plekanec means we can't get him either, Bergevin should be competent enough to make savvy moves to clear up cap space if you are confident Stamkos will sign. Backes is interesting but many of the criticisms of Plekanec, other than softness applies. You can still sign Backes with Plekanec here if you can move Desharnais to a team below the cap floor. Ditto for Staal.

I would rather have Plekanec for sure, and take a serious shot at Staal, Stamkos, or Backes than try and shoot for two of them and fail, or be forced to overpay because you realize that there is a serious chance you enter the next season with Galchenyuk-Eller-Danault. We know pretty well that the current regime lacks confidence with a centre core like that, based on the last few years.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i think the worst move remains the 4 year desharnais contract

but this 2 year plekanec extension with a RAISE is eye poppingly bad, i just cant ****ing believe marc is so dedicated to DD and pleks when the ANSWEtheRS are already ON THE TEAM

god damn it!
Yeah that Therrien extension looks great...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I don't think he is an elite second line centre but I also don't think he is paid like one. The Stastny contract.. that is the going rate for veteran second line centres. For a guy who produces 50-60 points, with very strong defensive play, I don't think six million for two years is too much. We don't have a replacement. Yes he slows down in the playoffs, like everyone but Subban, Eller and perhaps Petry on this team. That shouldn't excuse him, but I don't think it makes sense to single him out either. And when he is your best player in your position of great need, when it is hardly very apparent that Staal, Backes or any centre available by trade would be an upgrade.. Plekanec on the team for the next bit becomes comfortable.

Even Pacioretty shows up more than Pleks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who knows if Backes would even be interested in joining the ****fest this team has become. What UFA is dying to play for Therrien, can't wait to find out.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
What UFA is dying to play for Therrien, can't wait to find out.

My guess is Montreal is only appealing to UFA's who have no suitors. The dime-a-dozen fourth liners who are replaceable.

Or as Bergevin and Therrien say: "exactly who we're looking for."

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who knows if Backes would even be interested in joining the ****fest this team has become. What UFA is dying to play for Therrien, can't wait to find out.

The rumours had him invoking his NTC to avoid coming here in a deal implicating Plek.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Backes is slowing down, and was never a playmaker. He's a goalscorer, yes, but playoff clutch...no. He's more grindy than pure skill and the playoffs are not forgiving in terms of giving him those extra games needed to go on a hot streak. .

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Even Pacioretty shows up more than Pleks.

Not really. And Pacioretty is expected to be the first line winger, and he is one. Plekanec isn't a first line centre, he is expected to play like one, and he doesn't have a second line centre to effectively reduce pressure on him.

In regards to Backes, I don't really mind losing out on him, but my point was that he may cost more and be not significantly better than Plekanec. If he doesn't want to come here, at least he will drive down the demand for centres in the market to some extent. If Staal is willing to take a deal that isn't stupidly expensive then I would be really comfortable with a Staal/Plekanec combo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My guess is Montreal is only appealing to UFA's who have no suitors. The dime-a-dozen fourth liners who are replaceable.

Or as Bergevin and Therrien say: "exactly who we're looking for."

Self-fulfilling fallacy.

The rumours had him invoking his NTC to avoid coming here in a deal implicating Plek.

That is so grand. So Bergy claims you can't make big trades anymore but he plants a built-in repellant to those potential trades, that overshoots into the UFA market. The power of overconfident incompetence. Should earn Bergy another Apex gig.

Backes is slowing down, and was never a playmaker. He's a goalscorer, yes, but playoff clutch...no. He's more grindy than pure skill and the playoffs are not forgiving in terms of giving him those extra games needed to go on a hot streak. .

He's 31 and we know how physical players break down after the age of 30 or so. But still, we don't have anyone like him, would you not prefer him to Plekanec?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I have always found it laughable that people that think the Habs should keep Eller are the same ones saying dump Plekanec.
Plekanec is a hell of a lot better hockey player than Eller ever will be.
Trading away Tomas Plekanec would be one of the dumbest moves they could do, except in the issue of cap savings for a top line C. (Stamkos)

The only ones who value Eller are a small group of Habs fans, as is evident by the total lack of interest in him league wide. He was on the trade block all year and not a single team, NOT ONE, called to inquire about him. Not even to see what the price would be.
Where-as, the whole league, hockey analysts, and insiders value Plekanec and repeatedly say he is one of the best 2-way forwards playing.
If Plekanec was put up, there would be at least 6 teams calling within the first 2 days. Guaranteed.
Some Habs fans severely undervalue actual hockey players in favor of their favorites and then get pissed when the coach does the same thing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes it is.

Who is a more impactful centre in free agency that is available? Stamkos would be great but he's a pipe dream; I don't think Plekanec means we can't get him either, Bergevin should be competent enough to make savvy moves to clear up cap space if you are confident Stamkos will sign. Backes is interesting but many of the criticisms of Plekanec, other than softness applies. You can still sign Backes with Plekanec here if you can move Desharnais to a team below the cap floor. Ditto for Staal.

I would rather have Plekanec for sure, and take a serious shot at Staal, Stamkos, or Backes than try and shoot for two of them and fail, or be forced to overpay because you realize that there is a serious chance you enter the next season with Galchenyuk-Eller-Danault. We know pretty well that the current regime lacks confidence with a centre core like that, based on the last few years.

Doesn't necessarily have to be through free agency, there's also the trade market, there might be an answer or part of the answer internally as well (Galchenyuk). That's part of the GM's job.

If you asked me would I prefer to continue to pay Plekanec 6M for the next 2 years or trade him for assets, sign a guy like Okposo for 6M per year and move Galchenyuk to center, turn around make some more moves and make a run at Stamkos. I think i'd prefer the latter, but again, the trade of Plekanec would have to bring back significant assets, and I just don't see that likely.

The time to move Plekanec was 2-3yrs ago...that window has closed.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I have always found it laughable that people that think the Habs should keep Eller are the same ones saying dump Plekanec.
Plekanec is a hell of a lot better hockey player than Eller ever will be.
Trading away Tomas Plekanec would be one of the dumbest moves they could do, except in the issue of cap savings for a top line C. (Stamkos)

The only ones who value Eller are a small group of Habs fans, as is evident by the total lack of interest in him league wide. He was on the trade block all year and not a single team, NOT ONE, called to inquire about him. Not even to see what the price would be.
Where-as, the whole league, hockey analysts, and insiders value Plekanec and repeatedly say he is one of the best 2-way forwards playing.
If Plekanec was put up, there would be at least 6 teams calling within the first 2 days. Guaranteed.
Some Habs fans severely undervalue actual hockey players in favor of their favorites and then get pissed when the coach does the same thing.
did Bergevin say that or you just made it up?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I would hope so...he's getting #1C usage. How could he not?

Chose my wording (most vs every) to avoid the semantics that open the door to outlier teams like Pittsburgh rocking Crosby->Malkin, for example. Fleshing out my original statement further if you like: he's also better than some teams' #1C option - especially re: "elite 2-way centres" or similar. Fully aware, of course, that your objection to that particular label is previously noted.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

People are holding the fact that Plekanec isn't a bonafide #1 center against him when it really is the organization's fault not to address the #1 center situation. He's paid like an elite #2 center, and he produces at the rate of a low-end #1 center, coupled with great two-way ability.

Plekanec isn't the problem. The fact that we have nothing better to offer at this stage down the middle, however...

I'll admit, I haven't watched too many games since the Winter classic but why are people complaining about him? Last time I checked, he's still a great two way center. He was also very responsible in his zone and he still got his speed. He might be slightly overpaid but by how much 500k? 1m? He's also tied at 19th among centers in the points department with 46 points. He has more points or equal than Brassard, Toews, Ribeiro, Koivu, Drasaitl, Carter, Johansen, Spezza, Monahan. Add 3 more points and he's next to some elite players. He also finished 22nd last year among centers with 60 points.

We have to remember that a few of those teams have 2 highly productive centers like Pittsburgh, Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Boston, LA, Colorado. From the top 20 scorers, almost 1/3 are in the same team. It doesn't really leave a lot of space for the other teams to have a productive center.

I get it that he's soft and doesn't seem to have any emotion to his game. You can't rely on him to lead the team. He doesn't have that second gear where he will be a clutch player during the playoffs. All of this is valid but I still don't understand the hate.

Let me be clear here, I'm not suggesting that he's a first line center. We need to get a first line center or develop Galchenyuk to take this role. Plekanec would be a excellent 2nd line center or 1b but I don't understand some who say he's a 3rd line center or should be traded for players who are inferior to him overall. It seems some feel that the grass is greener and are ready to get rid of him even if it makes the team worst.

These guys get it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So everyone who agrees with your opinion 'gets it'...and everyone who doesn't, well...doesn't?

OK got it

Not sure why you bother posting on a message board if your goal to just respect the opinions of everyone who agrees with you and shoot down everyone who doesn't.

Again, you can compare Plekanec's points to other players and just surmise that he's as good as those players based purely on points...I think points is one thing, impact is a whole other.

Plekanec might reach his usual 50-60pts this year, but his impact on the game, for a player who plays as much as he does, is not good enough. Especially not offensively, way too many games where he just goes through the motions, you don't notice him...well that's not true, he does his job defensively pretty well, but that's not what i'm primarily looking for from a guy who is my teams #1C, plays nearly 20 mins a game is on the 1st PP unit.

But that's just me and I don't need you to validate my opinion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So everyone who agrees with your opinion 'gets it'...and everyone who doesn't, well...doesn't?

OK got it

Not sure why you bother posting on a message board if your goal to just respect the opinions of everyone who agrees with you and shoot down everyone who doesn't.

Who cares about his "get it" club. Better not to be in it. Let him enjoy his fake foursome. His opinion is no better than anyone else's here and no worse. Creating a gated community out of a dubious concept can turn you into a vigilante. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

OK got it

Again, you can compare Plekanec's points to other players and just surmise that he's as good as those players based purely on points...I think points is one thing, impact is a whole other.

Plekanec might reach his usual 50-60pts this year, but his impact on the game, for a player who plays as much as he does, is not good enough. Especially not offensively, way too many games where he just goes through the motions, you don't notice him...well that's not true, he does his job defensively pretty well, but that's not what i'm primarily looking for from a guy who is my teams #1C, plays nearly 20 mins a game is on the 1st PP unit.

But that's just me and I don't need you to validate my opinion

This, right here, is why your stance doesn't make much sense to me.

The fact that Plekanec is our best center isn't Plekanec's fault. The fact that Plekanec isn't an adequate option in a #1 role for a team that plans to contend for the cup isn't his fault either. You can't blame him for the role he plays on the team. It's only a matter of circumstances he ends up sitting in the chair he's in.

And I've said many times, people tend to lack perspective when it comes to evaluating a player's contribution based on his contract. Just look around the league and you'll see that there are many high-end centers, that are paid substantially more than Plekanec, that can barely outproduce him this season. And last season, too.

He's not the issue. Similar to how Koivu wasn't the issue either back then.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This, right here, is why your stance doesn't make much sense to me.

The fact that Plekanec is our best center isn't Plekanec's fault. The fact that Plekanec isn't an adequate option in a #1 role for a team that plans to contend for the cup isn't his fault either. You can't blame him for the role he plays on the team. It's only a matter of circumstances he ends up sitting in the chair he's in.

And I've said many times, people tend to lack perspective when it comes to evaluating a player's contribution based on his contract. Just look around the league and you'll see that there are many high-end centers, that are paid substantially more than Plekanec, that can barely outproduce him this season. And last season, too.

He's not the issue. Similar to how Koivu wasn't the issue either back then.

I understand its not his problem that he's placed in a position he's not ideal for....

Same can be said for Desharnais, does that prevent people from shredding him every chance they get?

Again, I'm very aware that he's in a position that's not ideal for him, that's not his fault....however, I do expect better performances then he's delivered this year, he might reach his benchmark 50-60pts this year, but IMO, he's been below average throughout the year. He has a handful of games where he's played up to the level of his talent, the rest of the time he's been completely non-existant.

Have you noticed him at all on this west coast trip? I realize the team hasn't been great for the most part but as one of the teams leaders, I expect more from him.

The last time I recall Plekanec being a major part of any game, win or lose, was vs the Bolts and that was 10 games ago....

Plekanec has 12 goals this year, 3 of those goals are on empty nets. Which means he has 9 goals from open play this year....9 freaking goals in 62 games, from a guy who averages near 20 mins a game, gets 1st PP unit and plays with our best offensive forwards (Pacioretty, Gallagher and he's even spent a considerable amount of time with Galchenyuk).

Plekanec had 7 goals in the first month of the season (Oct 7 to Nov 7)....he has 5 goals total from Nov 9 to today, March 4th. That's almost 4 months!!!

How is this acceptable to anyone? I'm sorry if my standards for what is supposed to be our 1st line center are higher than yours, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Darren Dreger and I believe Pierre LeBrun both said it in radio interviews on TSN.
Dreger for sure, but i seem to remember another one saying it.

No. I'm pretty sure that's totally bogus. There are literally dozens of reports, from top media sources, that claim the exact opposite. We're on the internet, it's pretty easy to look this stuff up.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I understand its not his problem that he's placed in a position he's not ideal for....

Same can be said for Desharnais, does that prevent people from shredding him every chance they get?

Difference being, Desharnais doesn't deserve the ice time he gets. Plekanec remains undoubtedly the best center on the team. He's not an ideal #1, but he's the best we have to offer on the team. Thus, he deserves his ice time. Two entirely different situations.

Again, I'm very aware that he's in a position that's not ideal for him, that's not his fault....however, I do expect better performances then he's delivered this year, he might reach his benchmark 50-60pts this year, but IMO, he's been below average throughout the year. He has a handful of games where he's played up to the level of his talent, the rest of the time he's been completely non-existant.

I don't see it that way. To me, 99% of NHLers are inconsistent. Plekanec is just another one of them. He has his good nights, his bad nights, and on average he'll give you good two-way play and chip in offensively more often than not. He's not a gamebreaker. He never was. Not even when he had 70 points seasons playing with Kovalev. So I'm not sure why you'd expect him to be a big factor in every games. Pacioretty doesn't do that. Gallagher doesn't do that. Galchenyuk doesn't do that. So why should he be held to a higher standard?

He'd probably look a fair bit more involved out there if the actual impact forward on his line, Pacioretty, started to play like one.

Have you noticed him at all on this west coast trip? I realize the team hasn't been great for the most part but as one of the teams leaders, I expect more from him.

He played a good two way game and I noticed a few great plays in his own end. Haven't actively scouted his game, but it didn't feel like he was any less involved than usual.

The last time I recall Plekanec being a major part of any game, win or lose, was vs the Bolts and that was 10 games ago....

And that's pretty much the norm for any 60ish points player. He's not a friggin' superstar.

Plekanec has 12 goals this year, 3 of those goals are on empty nets. Which means he has 9 goals from open play this year....9 freaking goals in 62 games, from a guy who averages near 20 mins a game, gets 1st PP unit and plays with our best offensive forwards (Pacioretty, Gallagher and he's even spent a considerable amount of time with Galchenyuk)

He's not a goalscorer, so to me the amount of goals he scores is somewhat irrelevant. He's been involved on 46 Habs goals this season, and that's better than any other Habs forward. That's as many points as Jonathan Toews. That's more points than Ryan Johansen. Time to accept him for what he is. He's not going to take over games like Crosby.

How is this acceptable to anyone? I'm sorry if my standards for what is supposed to be our 1st line center are higher than yours, but that's how I feel.

It's acceptable if you have realistic expectations. He's essentially duplicating the season he had last year, which is what warranted the contract extension in the first place. So complaining about his contract based on his performance this season doesn't make much sense to me.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think moving Plekanec is really quite easy. Has the guy EVER showed up during the payoffs? Does he make the players around him better? Use that 6M to acquire a Markov replacement or a top-six winger. Use the return you get from the deal to continue to build for the future. Use the minutes he plays to develop some of our young players. Move him while he's still worth something, we'd be a better team without him in the long run.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Difference being, Desharnais doesn't deserve the ice time he gets. Plekanec remains undoubtedly the best center on the team. He's not an ideal #1, but he's the best we have to offer on the team. Thus, he deserves his ice time. Two entirely different situations.

I don't see it that way. To me, 99% of NHLers are inconsistent. Plekanec is just another one of them. He has his good nights, his bad nights, and on average he'll give you good two-way play and chip in offensively more often than not. He's not a gamebreaker. He never was. Not even when he had 70 points seasons playing with Kovalev. So I'm not sure why you'd expect him to be a big factor in every games. Pacioretty doesn't do that. Gallagher doesn't do that. Galchenyuk doesn't do that. So why should he be held to a higher standard?

He'd probably look a fair bit more involved out there if the actual impact forward on his line, Pacioretty, started to play like one.

He played a good two way game and I noticed a few great plays in his own end. Haven't actively scouted his game, but it didn't feel like he was any less involved than usual.

And that's pretty much the norm for any 60ish points player. He's not a friggin' superstar.

He's not a goalscorer, so to me the amount of goals he scores is somewhat irrelevant. He's been involved on 46 Habs goals this season, and that's better than any other Habs forward. That's as many points as Jonathan Toews. That's more points than Ryan Johansen. Time to accept him for what he is. He's not going to take over games like Crosby.

It's acceptable if you have realistic expectations. He's essentially duplicating the season he had last year, which is what warranted the contract extension in the first place. So complaining about his contract based on his performance this season doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry I don't have time to reply to everything....but if Plekanec is not a goal scorer, and we all know playmaking is not his forte

Then what is he exactly? And why are we paying him 6M for the next 2 years? To play match-up center?

We used to be able to count on 20-25 goals from Plekanec, he might not get 15 at this rate, and he's not getting younger.

Is Plekanec the best center on this team? Hmmm....I think we would get more production out of that position with Galchenyuk personally, so I don't agree with that.

Is he our best defensive center or 2 way center? Sure....but at 6M, I'd prefer to re-invest that money into a true top 6 player (either another C or winger) and give defensive responsibilities to Eller/Danault moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad