Confirmed with Link: 2 years extension for Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
When Bergevin trades Price for peanuts then you have an argument. Just because he hasn't fixed the scoring problem doesn't mean he destroyed the franchise like Houle did.

MB would also need to trade away Patches, Subban and Gally for peanuts as well...well, okay, Subban maybe a bit much as I don't think there was an equivalent player in Montreal at the time for Houle to trade away. Regardless, Houle left the team empty and drafted garbage and traded a top ten pick for Linden...
I mean seriously, MB is Gods gift to heaven compared to the massive wanton destruction that Houle caused. Doesn't even remotely compare even if you were in a drunken stupor while high as a kite...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Bergy is definitely not worse than Houle but honestly who cares, no need for comparison. What has he really done in 4 yrs that has MTL closer to a Cup? That should be the question people are asking

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really need to move this dogger while he still has value. His decline will be painful.

33 year-old dogger who has been dogging it ever since he signed his deal. What a veteran example ... of a piece of **** he is. Now Bergevin will have to retain salary in order to move him -- just too many games where he's so inconsequential to be able to justify interest in him, especially with the cap going down.

Last edited:

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Unfortunately he'll only get worse from now on... I tried to convince myself it was a good deal at the start of the year but it looks atrocious right now, as does Plekanec on the ice.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher each possibly out tomorrow, I'm sure Pleks will step up.

Ah who am I kidding! :biglaugh:

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
You people are hilarious. Plekanec is one of the best defensive centers in the league who leads all Canadiens forwards with SH TOI, and yet he can't "step up" enough for you. News flash - Plekanec is not a scorer/top line offensive center! The dude is a 60 point a year player who has bad stretches (who hasn't on this team this year) and who does not typically produce many points in the playoffs. In fact, his numbers this year put him on pace for 15 goals, 42 assists for a total of 57 points... right around where he should be, and not too shabby for a team that sits 15th in the league for goals scored.

Plekanec brings a ton of upside to this team that isn't flashy, but it is completely necessary to have. If you want to get rid of him, who is going to take his place and be as defensively responsible while still being able to put up 60 points a year? Eller can barely crack 30 points but he is the next closest thing we have, so given the opportunity he MAY live up to expectations - but it's not a for sure thing.

Don't get mad at his contract, especially those in the majority who in the first 10 pages of this thread loved this deal. Don't get mad at the fact that he's 33 years old and should be playing second line center ALL of the time instead of first line because "Galchenyuk can't handle it". And don't get mad because you're wishing he's something that he's not.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Have you read the initial posts of this thread?
Bergevin was getting nothing but attaboy's by most here for the Plek extension less than a year ago.

But I wasn't here :popcorn:

To be fair, no one expected such a huge drop in production, such arrogance coming from Pleks and Patches ("We are proving that our team is more than just Carey!") and finally such terrible, inconsistent, lackluster, pansy-ass, little-girl-circa-late-2000s performance from Plekanec.

So it swings from rewarding him with a bit of an overpay to he's god-damn overpaid and impossible to move, and it's all his own fault.

No one felt like criticizing the absurd timing of the extension because, it seemed, everything was going well and it was probably not worth criticizing and raising ire. I criticized Subban's general comportment last season, positing that many of his teammates were probably sick of his antics, and was met with flames, doubts and "boy W7, you've changed, you're so negative now". When things are good, most sane people won't criticize minor things. The timing of the extension was, and is, minor compared to the many, many other blunders and mistakes by BargainBin Bergevin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have you read the initial posts of this thread?
Bergevin was getting nothing but attaboy's by most here for the Plek extension less than a year ago.

What were we all smoking? I liked the flexibility of the deal (no NTC) but with my following post, I questioned the amount being paid. Man, this team can't tell the difference between a serviceable vet at a reasonable contract and someone who seems to get paid for whatever he used to do but can't do as well anymore.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
What were we all smoking? I liked the flexibility of the deal (no NTC) but with my following post, I questioned the amount being paid. Man, this team can't tell the difference between a serviceable vet at a reasonable contract and someone who seems to get paid for whatever he used to do but can't do as well anymore.

Plekanec duped many of us including myself with his stellar start to the season. He had Bergevin under a spell then once he got that guaranteed money he mailed it in. Truly a disgusting showing since that contract was signed.

feds91

May 17, 2004
I just looked at even strength points and Pleks is 32nd , which is ahead of Backstrom, Getzlaf, Forsberg, Carter, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Malkin, Spezza, Giroux

that's kinda surprising no?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
One thing to consider.

Plek had a NTC on his previous contract.

In his next contract, that will take place july 1, he don't hold a NTC.

We might have more value for him this summer then we would have had this TDL because of this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He may not have a NTC on his extension, but at that salary, can see another team asking the Habs to retain part of what he's making.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
He may not have a NTC on his extension, but at that salary, can see another team asking the Habs to retain part of what he's making.

Which is not the end of the world to be honest. Had we not resigned him and traded him at the trade deadline to only a select few teams in his list, 1) we run the chance of not being able to trade him at all, or 2) the return would be a late 1rst round pick and perhaps a b prospect at best.

Now that we have resigned him and are able to trade him to any team, we can retain $1.5M of his salary, and get a proven NHL player back, probably something around a 2nd line W that can score 17-20 goals. This allows the Habs to maintain what little goal scoring they already have on the team as opposed to giving up Plekanecs production for a late 1rst rounder who wouldn't be NHL ready for another 3 years. Yes we have to retain a bit of salary but that $1.5M salary give or take $0.5M can be saved elsewhere. For example getting a 2nd line W at a $4.5M salary in return.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I just looked at even strength points and Pleks is 32nd , which is ahead of Backstrom, Getzlaf, Forsberg, Carter, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Malkin, Spezza, Giroux

And here I thought Plekanec was a 4th line center...

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Last year Pleks ranked in the top 50 in scoring for forwards, this year he's tied for 50th, tied with guys like Landeskog, Mike Hoffman, Jack Eichel, Wayne Simmonds, while ahead of guys like, Henrik Zetterberg, Phil Kessel, James Neal, Jarome Iginla, Milan Lucic, T.J. Oshie, Andrew Ladd, Tomas Vanek, etc...

Also in the last 2 playoffs he has 13 pts in 29 games, just under half a ppg.

I'm all for trading him if you can replace his production and two way play, the problem is we need more top 6 forwards so moving him just means we still need 2 more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which is not the end of the world to be honest. Had we not resigned him and traded him at the trade deadline to only a select few teams in his list, 1) we run the chance of not being able to trade him at all, or 2) the return would be a late 1rst round pick and perhaps a b prospect at best.

Cap is going down by as much as 4M, plus paying Parenteau for another year and plus any other deal where we're ditching toxic assets and are required to swallow.

I would have rather they hadn't signed him and just sold him off at the deadline. He would have been amongst the most highly sought forwards with no strings attached.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

And who would take Plekanec ahead of ANY of these players?

Plekanec also went 35 games without scoring an even strength goal....

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Last year Pleks ranked in the top 50 in scoring for forwards, this year he's tied for 50th, tied with guys like Landeskog, Mike Hoffman, Jack Eichel, Wayne Simmonds, while ahead of guys like, Henrik Zetterberg, Phil Kessel, James Neal, Jarome Iginla, Milan Lucic, T.J. Oshie, Andrew Ladd, Tomas Vanek, etc...

Also in the last 2 playoffs he has 13 pts in 29 games, just under half a ppg.

I'm all for trading him if you can replace his production and two way play, the problem is we need more top 6 forwards so moving him just means we still need 2 more.

Eller has 16 points in the same time frame for just over a ppg while playing the same two-way game so replacing Plekanec's production should not be a concern if he could fetch us something better.

The best chance this team had was to trade Plekanec for a 1st at the TDL and maybe give him a chance to win a cup somewhere and re-sign him back in the offseason. If Plekanec bleeds bleu blanc rouge he would have been back.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cap is going down by as much as 4M, plus paying Parenteau for another year and plus any other deal where we're ditching toxic assets and are required to swallow.

I don't see the cap going down 4M, I could see it be closer to 1M. The loonie has really turned around, although we still have 3.5 months to go, although it's a weighted average so it would have to drop a lot to really impact the cap.

Eller has 16 points in the same time frame for just over a ppg while playing the same two-way game so replacing Plekanec's production should not be a concern if he could fetch us something better.

The best chance this team had was to trade Plekanec for a 1st at the TDL and maybe give him a chance to win a cup somewhere and re-sign him back in the offseason. If Plekanec bleeds bleu blanc rouge he would have been back.

No way would I plan on Eller replacing Pleks production.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
theres nothing pleks can do that Eller cant

dont **** this up bergevin, if you trade eller before plekanec you hurt the franchise, not help it, hopefully the people speaking into his ear are telling him this

**** **** **** dont **** this up bergy

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I would have rather they hadn't signed him and just sold him off at the deadline. He would have been amongst the most highly sought forwards with no strings attached.

Not saying I think it was a great move, but MB was probably thinking we had a cup contender and wanted to lock Pleks up, who was performing well at the time. The thought of being out of the playoffs and being sellers likely never crossed his mind.

If we move Pleks and if there is truth to the DD shopping, I am hoping we won't have to eat any salary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad