Confirmed with Link: 2 years extension for Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Safe to say MB paid on the higher end of Pleks' value. He moved quite early with Pleks' agent playing his cards right, asking for an extension when both his team and his clients were on a good run. If being a seller never crossed MB's mind, he sure didn't act that way when it came time to replace Price. Seems like the whole season is one giant brain cramp by the GM, from the summer moves, to going into the season with a back up goalie with no NHL experience, to having no capable injury replacement goalie in the system, to the Pleks signing and not firing Therrien. A season to forget on so many levels.

You know, a lot of people criticise MT for not giving Galchenyuk more time at center at the expense of Desharnais, and rightfull so.

However, can we also ask the same about Plekanec?

Plekanec has gotten a TON of icetime in a 1st line center role (something a lot of people conviniently forget) at the expense of Galchenyuk as well. We're seeing today what he may have been able to do playing with Pacioretty all year (which Plekanec has for the majority).

Had that hapened even last year, then we might of been able to re-sign Plekanec at a reduced rate, because the coach wouldn't be overplaying him as a 18-20 minute quasi #1C...and he wouldn't have to be paying him 6M a year. Plekanec would of slotted in perfectly as the #2C in the 40-45pt range thus making his salary more in the 4.5-5M range he was making before.

The Habs are essentially paying Plekanec 6M because they refused to give anyone else (other than Desharnais) a shot at playing the #1C role.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You know, a lot of people criticise MT for not giving Galchenyuk more time at center at the expense of Desharnais, and rightfull so.

However, can we also ask the same about Plekanec?

Plekanec has gotten a TON of icetime in a 1st line center role (something a lot of people conviniently forget) at the expense of Galchenyuk as well. We're seeing today what he may have been able to do playing with Pacioretty all year (which Plekanec has for the majority).

Had that hapened even last year, then we might of been able to re-sign Plekanec at a reduced rate, because the coach wouldn't be overplaying him as a 18-20 minute quasi #1C...and he wouldn't have to be paying him 6M a year. Plekanec would of slotted in perfectly as the #2C in the 40-45pt range thus making his salary more in the 4.5-5M range he was making before.

The Habs are essentially paying Plekanec 6M because they refused to give anyone else (other than Desharnais) a shot at playing the #1C role.

Good point.

A similar argument can be made about how we were able to get a 2nd rounder for Weise. MT essentially put him in a position to play over his head, at the expense of more talented players who lost a year of development.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Actually, as usual, his production has taken dips when Therrien has tried to get literally everyone else going (mostly DD, of course), and just plopped random wingers A and B next to Plekanec because he knows he'll carry them safely, if quietly, through the myriad Therrien blender experiments.

But kudos for you to measuring him by an unsustainably hot start rather than the many seasons whose average provides a much more accurate "expectation" - that he's still not off pace from by much, either.

I bring up his ridiculously hot start because that's when he was extended. Otherwise you're not really refuting my point: with tons of ice time and PP time on talented team, merely flirting with 60 points isn't impressive. ESPECIALLY considering how little else he's brought to the table.

I will accept that his linemates have been unimpressive, but he's not a young player - and he gets ample PP time (Eller doesn't) and never gets benched for his mistakes (ibid) and has never really had chemistry with anyone anyway.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Excuse me, this is a witch hunt where everyone gathers round and tries to blame a single player for everything that ails the club. This is a Plekanec thread, so Plekanec will be the chosen scape goat for the thread

Cool story...

Get out of here with your logic and common sense. No one wants to hear that Plekanec has actually produced to expectations this year.

Expectations huh? So you expected Plekanec to have 12 goals at almost the 70 game mark? You expected Plekanec to go 35 games with 1 ES goal?

After scoring 7 goals in the first month of the season, he's gone on to score 5 goals in the next 4 months of the season, you expected that too?

Hmm...interesting how low your expectations are for what is a 'vital' player.

No one wants to know he's 32nd in the league in even strength points this season amongst all players in the league at every position.

points without context, mean very little...

No one wants to consider actual facts or admit he is pretty much the ideal # 2 centre to have on the team going into next year.

I don't agree that he's 'ideal', that would mean that on most if not all teams, he'd be the #2C, I have trouble putting him on most playoff rosters as their #2C...I think he's an adequate #2C, nothing more.

We just want to demand that he gets traded for some inexplicable reason, since our potent offense is simply overpowering, and will only logically improve by replacing Plekanec's 60 point output with Eller's 30 point output.

Again, with Plekanec's 60pt output lol

Our top 6 will only improve by removing an absolutely vital piece of it. Or so the story goes

Vital piece? in your eyes maybe...probably in the eyes of many here since he's pretty popular. But I don't consider him vital at all, which doesn't mean he's not important, but vital?

Price is vital, Subban is vital, Gallagher is vital, Galchenyuk is vital...Plekanec? not even close

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

Cool story...

Expectations huh? So you expected Plekanec to have 12 goals at almost the 70 game mark? You expected Plekanec to go 35 games with 1 ES goal?

After scoring 7 goals in the first month of the season, he's gone on to score 5 goals in the next 4 months of the season, you expected that too?

Hmm...interesting how low your expectations are for what is a 'vital' player.

points without context, mean very little...

I don't agree that he's 'ideal', that would mean that on most if not all teams, he'd be the #2C, I have trouble putting him on most playoff rosters as their #2C...I think he's an adequate #2C, nothing more.

Again, with Plekanec's 60pt output lol

Vital piece? in your eyes maybe...probably in the eyes of many here since he's pretty popular. But I don't consider him vital at all, which doesn't mean he's not important, but vital?

Price is vital, Subban is vital, Gallagher is vital, Galchenyuk is vital...Plekanec? not even close

He hit 60 points last year, which was probably overachieving. I would have expected him in the 50-60 point range this year, and he'll get there, only 4 points below 50 with 15 games left.

You seem to value goals far more than assists, that's fine, whatever. Points are points. The guy is still a force, he's inexplicably a plus player on a terrible team, he is the backbone of the # 5 in the league penalty kill having spent 108 minutes killing penalties. He's always on the ice in the last minute if we are up by a goal or down by a goal.

But the second we think we have another good centre we're ready to throw Plekanec in the trash bin?

Galchenyuk is on fire now and is getting a lot of props, deservedly so. We seem to have forgotten Plekanec, who was just as hot for just as long, but that happened 3 months ago so we'll ignore it and pretend he's insignificant now?

Plekanec is no longer a # 1 centre (despite his production which would suggest that he is). That's fine. Roast him if you will for "inconsistency" in his production, which happens to virtually everyone. Fortunately we don't need him to be a # 1 centre going forward. He shouldn't be (and won't be) on the main PP unit.

What he will continue to do is put up points while playing against the best players on the other team. He's a perfect # 2 centre, despite how much you might personally dislike him. He's a solid piece of our Top 6, and a vital player. Removing him only creates yet another hole in our Top 6 that would need filling. Could you find an equal replacement for slightly less than $6 million? Possibly. But do we have to get rid of the guy? Not at all.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I bring up his ridiculously hot start because that's when he was extended. Otherwise you're not really refuting my point: with tons of ice time and PP time on talented team, merely flirting with 60 points isn't impressive. ESPECIALLY considering how little else he's brought to the table.

I will accept that his linemates have been unimpressive, but he's not a young player - and he gets ample PP time (Eller doesn't) and never gets benched for his mistakes (ibid) and has never really had chemistry with anyone anyway.

He had a really hot start

the 1st month of the season (Oct. 7th to Nov. 7th)

*7 goals 8 assists 15pts in 16 games

The next 4 months of the season (Nov. 8th to today)

* 5 goals 26 assists 31pts in 51 games

let's be honest, even if it hurts to say...he's been brutal for the majority of the season. We wouldn't accept these types of numbers from Desharnais or Eller if they were in the same position, so why is it ok for Plekanec?

Sure, I realize he offsets some of this by providing effective 2 way hockey...but 6M per year has to get you more than that

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

let's be honest, even if it hurts to say...he's been brutal for the majority of the season. We wouldn't accept these types of numbers from Desharnais or Eller if they were in the same position, so why is it ok for Plekanec?

Sure, I realize he offsets some of this by providing effective 2 way hockey...but 6M per year has to get you more than that
31 pts in 51 games is a 50 point pace for the season. Fantastic? No. Terrible? No.

Look around, $6 million doesn't get you what it used to. The last big name centre to sign as a UFA was Paul Stastny at $7 million and he has.... 31 points in 50 games this year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Expectations? You want to talk about expectations? Tell us what were your expectations at the beginning of the season?

The whole team just went trash since december and every single guy on the team under performed . Plekanec still somehow managed to put up points and is going to end the season with close to 60 points, that he averages since the start of his career.

Do you even watch other teams or check out stats of other players in the league? The scoring has plummeted drastically league wide as of late.

Maybe you have to revisit your expectations and stop thinking that the grass is always more green at neighbors.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
DD is getting the soft minutes.

Pleks has to go against Crosby and the likes.

Haters gonna hate

tumblr_n9p5gj85sw1txw6s1o1_500.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He hit 60 points last year, which was probably overachieving. I would have expected him in the 50-60 point range this year, and he'll get there, only 4 points below 50 with 15 games left.

Plekanec had an uneven year last year but finished strongly and I even gave him props for his year last year, though he was brutal in the playoffs. It's great that he'll likely get to 50pts this year, but that doesn't mean he's had a good year.

Just like Pacioretty finishing with 30-35 goals doesn't mean he's had a good year.

You seem to value goals far more than assists, that's fine, whatever. Points are points. The guy is still a force, he's inexplicably a plus player on a terrible team, he is the backbone of the # 5 in the league penalty kill having spent 108 minutes killing penalties. He's always on the ice in the last minute if we are up by a goal or down by a goal.

Not really, I just think without context...goals/assists can mean different things, for different people. Plekanec's 46pts points this year is an illustration of that. He might reach his 50pts this year, but he's been below average all year.

But the second we think we have another good centre we're ready to throw Plekanec in the trash bin?

Who's throwing him in the trash bin?

Galchenyuk is on fire now and is getting a lot of props, deservedly so. We seem to have forgotten Plekanec, who was just as hot for just as long, but that happened 3 months ago so we'll ignore it and pretend he's insignificant now?

3 months ago? Maybe you haven't followed Plekanec's play this season, but at no point was he ever as hot as Galchenyuk currently is.

Plekanec is no longer a # 1 centre (despite his production which would suggest that he is). That's fine. Roast him if you will for "inconsistency" in his production, which happens to virtually everyone. Fortunately we don't need him to be a # 1 centre going forward. He shouldn't be (and won't be) on the main PP unit.

It actually suggest he's more of an adequate #2

What he will continue to do is put up points while playing against the best players on the other team. He's a perfect # 2 centre, despite how much you might personally dislike him. He's a solid piece of our Top 6, and a vital player. Removing him only creates yet another hole in our Top 6 that would need filling. Could you find an equal replacement for slightly less than $6 million? Possibly. But do we have to get rid of the guy? Not at all

I do not dislike Plekanec, I admire his professionalism and approach to the game and I think he's a solid 2 way player.

But I also think he gets away with a lot of quasi-efforts on the ice, his game is heading south, while his use (up until recently) was going up and he's never held accountable for anything, he rarely if ever is present after games to talk to reporters, he just goes out and plays. Doesn't get involve, just does the bare minimum....that's ok for some

I'm not ok with it personally...that doesn't mean I want to get rid of him, i'll settle for the team realizing what he is and that's an adequate #2C that they should actively trying to improve on, whether that's within or from outside

31 pts in 51 games is a 50 point pace for the season. Fantastic? No. Terrible? No.

Look around, $6 million doesn't get you what it used to. The last big name centre to sign as a UFA was Paul Stastny at $e7 million and he has.... 31 points in 50 games this year.
31pts in 51 gams is a 50pt pace?

You sure about that?

As for the rest of your post, I don't care about Paul Stastny, if he was a Habs, I'd have the same issue.

Personally, the coaching staff has finally done what I was hoping they'd do, and they've removed Plekanec as the #1C, as the guy who plays 18-20 mins a game with our best wingers, 1st unit PP, etc....

They've finally given that role to Galchenyuk instead of just recycling Plekanec/Desharnais over and over again....

So if they can find some wingers for Plekanec this year, I'm fine with keeping him.

Expectations? You want to talk about expectations? Tell us what were your expectations at the beginning of the season?

The whole team just went trash since december and every single guy on the team under performed . Plekanec still somehow managed to put up points and is going to end the season with close to 60 points, that he averages since the start of his career.

Do you even watch other teams or check out stats of other players in the league? The scoring has plummeted drastically league wide as of late.

Maybe you have to revisit your expectations and stop thinking that the grass is always more green at neighbors.

Plekanec is gonna come close to reaching the 60pts he's averaged for his career?

This is Plekanec's 12th NHL season, he's reached the 60pt plateau 3 times....I don't know if that's enough to call it an average, but whatever....

Furthermore....he's going to need a he'll of a finish this year to get to 60pts, and he's not going to benefit from getting his usual 18-20 mins per game

So we'll see about that...

Haters gonna hate

So I guess your solution would be to do the opposite?

Give Plekanec the soft minutes (which BTW, he's gotten PLENTY of) and give Desharnais the matchups against Crosby and the likes?

Yeah, seems like a plan for success

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Plekanec is gonna come close to reaching the 60pts he's averaged for his career?

This is Plekanec's 12th NHL season, he's reached the 60pt plateau 3 times....I don't know if that's enough to call it an average, but whatever....

Furthermore....he's going to need a he'll of a finish this year to get to 60pts, and he's not going to benefit from getting his usual 18-20 mins per game

So we'll see about that...

Hmmm 3 times a loser in the ECF also.
I'm so glad we hitched our wagon to this player for so long.
Can we please go in a different direction now?
PLEASE

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

In my opinion regular season pleks edges out eller(edges only given usage) and post season pleks is blunden. Serviceable but little more.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hmmm 3 times a loser in the ECF also.
I'm so glad we hitched our wagon to this player for so long.
Can we please go in a different direction now?
PLEASE

I'm not prepared to trash him that way....he's a solid player, it's just he's been misused just as much as Desharnais has by this coaching staff

For 3-4 years, only 2 players have gotten a real opportunity at playing meaningful minutes as the #1C for this year

Plekanec or Desharnais, when it wasn't one, it was the other and while everyone wants to **** on Desharnais, Plekanec is just as much of a disciple of Therrien, maybe even more so than Desharnais is (I'm sure that will go over well - I'm expect that point to be twisted and spun every which way).

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Haters gonna hate

Except he doesn't. I don't even know where this myth comes from. Was it the playoffs that pleks did nothing in the pitts series, se he was solely responsible for holding sid point totals low? Who were his line mates and what about when pitts was at home did they just keep lining Crosby against the might plekatchu if he was so effective?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In my opinion regular season pleks edges out eller(edges only given usage) and post season pleks is blunden. Serviceable but little more.

If the coaching staff is finally ready and realizes that Plekanec is better suited as the #2C on this team, playing 14-15 mins a game....

Then I'd be curious to know how Eller would perform under those same circumstances, at a fraction of the cost mind you.

IMO, you find some legit NHL wingers for either Plekanec or Eller in that role, and you're likely to get the same level of production while not suffering a drop-off defensively.

I think it's even time to entertain playing Plekanec on the wing....I think his game would be well suited there to be honest.

But this has never even been considered by the coaching staff

Galchenyuk as a winger has been tried
Desharnais as a winger has been tried
Eller as a winger has been tried

Plekanec as center is something the coach has never even considered for one second.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not prepared to trash him that way....he's a solid player, it's just he's been misused just as much as Desharnais has by this coaching staff

For 3-4 years, only 2 players have gotten a real opportunity at playing meaningful minutes as the #1C for this year

Plekanec or Desharnais, when it wasn't one, it was the other and while everyone wants to **** on Desharnais, Plekanec is just as much of a disciple of Therrien, maybe even more so than Desharnais is (I'm sure that will go over well - I'm expect that point to be twisted and spun every which way).

I'm really not trashing him. His accomplishments speak for themselves.
Plecky is like that comfortable sweatshirt you reach for on a Saturday morning.
Therrien has used him the same as his previous coaches have used him.
It was far too easy to look elsewhere for issues with Tomas eating up all that icetime.
My point is he's had his kick at the can the sweatshirt is frayed and holes are appearing.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
IMO, you find some legit NHL wingers for either Plekanec or Eller in that role, and you're likely to get the same level of production while not suffering a drop-off defensively.

Well, if Eller is as good offensively and defensively, then yes, you would be correct.
Unfortunately I don't think he's quite as good defensively nor offensively so...well, I'll have to disagree. Course, the older Pleks gets, the more he declines, so eventually Eller should eclipse Pleks in those categories, maybe. Offensively, yes, someday Eller should eclipse Pleks, just don't think that's today. Not sure if he'll ever do the same defensively though. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad