GDT: 2/8/17 - Wild vs. Blackhawks - 7PM CT / 3AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
It was a fun game to be at! Too many Chicago fans there though ;). So many chances both ways...Crawford was very very good. After the game I was criticizing some of the players but realized right away that most everyone had a chance or two. Oh well. Two winnable games vs. east teams coming up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is this what we'll be telling ourselves when they beat us in the playoffs again?

Playoffs are a different story:
- teams will have about the same rest
- Kemps shouldn't be in net
- no 3v3 OT
- 3 of the 4 line won't be picked out of a hat randomly

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Hesitant to say this because I didn’t hear anything that was said about the Wild on NBC Sports Network, but I did see the tweets from Jeremy Roenick criticizing the Wild’s decision to start Darcy Kuemper and saw all over Twitter that Mike Milbury apparently called the Wild “cocky†for starting Kuemper against Chicago.

Here’s a novel concept.

You’re analysts for the national rights holder about to telecast three consecutive Wild games. If you have a question about the Wild, read some newspaper articles, blogs or call a beat writer (I get calls or texts from national broadcasters preparing to work Wild games or talk about the Wild weekly) instead of guessing or ripping away without any background.

Heck, you’re the national rights holder. Call the coach, an assistant coach, the GM. They’ll answer and undoubtedly provide some insight into why certain decisions are made.

ESPECIALLY BOUDREAU, who’s the most candid coach I’ve covered in 22 seasons.

But that’s how it’s done. If you ask Boudreau, Boudreau answers. And in my opinion, if you’ve got a national audience that’s listening to your every word and expecting insight, you owe it to them to do some homework, prep on the two teams and find out reasons for decisions rather than to just slice and dice with no information.

I respect Roenick and Milbury. But the Wild’s one of the most surprisingly good teams in the NHL this season. Boudreau has a pretty good pulse for his team and his rationale for starting Devan Dubnyk in Winnipeg instead of tonight was spelled out and well-publicized for two days.

Agree or disagree, that’s perfectly fine. Many Wild fans seemed to choose the latter. But at least find out why rather than flippantly insinuating that the Wild wasn’t respecting its opponent.

Russo getting a bit frustrated in his blog.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Glad I didn't hear any of that, I never listen to their "analysis". I had the game on mute for long stretches as well. Can't stand these national games.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Milbury/Roenick are awful. The others that are part of NBC sports are usually a bit better.

Agreed. I generally like the play by play and color commentary during the game(name mix-ups included), but would rather not have the NBC crew just because of the pre/post/intermission "analysis."

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Meh, they needed something to talk about after the game and during intermissions. Wild/Hawks was the only NHL game last night.

Not having Dub in net killed a couple of story lines they could have used. Getting backup goalies for "their" usually annoys them, and they make similar comments about the other teams.

Was less Wild bashing and less "OMG it's the Hawks /swoon" than I expected.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
It's almost kind of cool/refreshing that we were the ones who were more 'oh well' about the game and Chicago was the one making it out to be this big deal.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
A better result than I was expecting. After a successful road trip, the 2nd game of a back-to-back, and using our backup goalie, I'm happy to get a point.

Just remember all of the years when we would be behind the Hawks in the standings and when we would win, they would still somehow get a point. The roles are flipped now.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
It's almost kind of cool/refreshing that we were the ones who were more 'oh well' about the game and Chicago was the one making it out to be this big deal.
Haha, I thought the same thing. It did seem like Hawks fans were a little more juiced up than they normally are for a regular season game.

Although maybe getting screwed on that offside contributed to that.

I almost want to win the division by 1 point now. :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Kuemper was fine. That was an encouraging start, for me. The way we came back in the third was great. Haula showing once again showing that he is money against the Hawks, and Scandella with a great rush. I don't understand anyone criticizing Scandella being out on the last goal. I think he is starting to play some good hockey.

Obviously, the Suter mistake was a killer. The first goal really bugged me. Spurgeon backed in till his butt was almost on Kuemper's face, giving a free shot from the hash marks.Stewart could've caught the shooter but he didn't try, just cruised back.

Granlund didn't have a good game. Suter doesn't train on breakaways very much, I imagine, but he gave away the center of the ice on his break, making it easier for the goalie to defend.

Schroeder, who was in because of his speed to counteract the Hawks, was a nothing.

A few things didn't go our way. Happy that we got the point, and I'd rather face the Hawks playing well in the regular season than be lulled to sleep then have to face them in the playoffs with them going full bore. We still got a point, so it's not like we lost much ground.

I was happy overall with the game. Suter and Spurgeon made two of the biggest mistakes that cost us the game. How many times is that going to happen?

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Suter made a big mistake but I think Kuemper overplayed the situation too and couldn't seal the post anymore. Few times he was a bit late in same kind of situations, but just made it in time. Although when you aren't able to play regularly, those small positioning and timing errors are understandable. Just rust.

But other than that, very encouraging game from Kuemper. Looked solid.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the key is we played great meaning gave it our best considering back to back & just off long road trip. nothing to be ashamed of.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Looking at the 5v5 heat map for shots in that game is pretty comical. Nothing wrong with that game. Crawford was solid and the difference in that game.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Milbury/Roenick are awful.

Not to defend them in any way, but neither of those two have their jobs at NBC for their analytical skills or insightful knowledge of the teams involved. They are in their positions to get people hot and bothered with the ******** that they spew which is exactly what they did with Russo. They're not there for integrity or analysis; they're the Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith of NBC Sports.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Not to defend them in any way, but neither of those two have their jobs at NBC for their analytical skills or insightful knowledge of the teams involved. They are in their positions to get people hot and bothered with the ******** that they spew which is exactly what they did with Russo. They're not there for integrity or analysis; they're the Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith of NBC Sports.

I would beg to differ. They have Milbury in there because he was a former player and head coach. Roenick came afterwards because they needed someone with an actual personality. The issue is NBC doesn't know how to hire anyone worth their salt to do these discussions. They at least have McKenzie in there from time to time now.

If they wanted a Bayless/Smith type duo they would have made a TV show for it not intermissions of an actual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad