GDT: 2/4/2013 - Wild@Yotes - 8:00 PM CST - FS-N, FS-WI

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Missed the game. Did they really play THAT bad or are people just massively overreacting?

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
You can say were getting chances but it eventually becomes a broken record if you can't turn those chances into goals. Chances don't win games, goals do. If we can't score, how the hell are we going to make the playoffs :(

Depressing.

It's very frustrating. PMB's post took the wind out of my sails. I really felt like we'd grabbed momentum and we were going to take PHX to OT. If we can right the ship against Vanny, much of the frustration should subside.

Billy Mays Here*

Missed the game. Did they really play THAT bad or are people just massively overreacting?

Better than Anaheim at least. It's a domino effect of the last few games. Many of us (including myself) are starting to go into panic mode. If this were, say, our first loss after a three or four game win streak people wouldn't be anywhere near as up in arms over the team's performance.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota

I actually thought we played a great road game..if it weren't for a miraculous Yandle save...One bad mistake by Backstrom with that rebound goal... 2 posts one by Brodin and one Bouchard...or Suter lacking the effort to lay down and block that goal instead of standing there...we could have won easily. One of those goes right and we at least take it to OT.

Did everything right as far as a greasy road game goes..just didn't win the game.

THEALLKNOWING*

Yeo gotta go, Yeo gotta go, Torchetti at the ready. Torchetti at the ready. Hopefully the player's only meeting was to call for mutiny. A little more talent every year, similar results evey year. Outcoached or outsystemed again. I like what Fletch is trying to do, but perhaps Yeo is making his effort go for naught. As a STH since the beginning, I could give a crap about next year.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Heatley is just dissapointing for me. He hasn´t added anything to the 1st line for 3 games now. He is just coasting there.

GORGO

Dec 10, 2011
BABBITT, MN
Yeo gotta go, Yeo gotta go, Torchetti at the ready. Torchetti at the ready. Hopefully the player's only meeting was to call for mutiny. A little more talent every year, similar results evey year. Outcoached or outsystemed again. I like what Fletch is trying to do, but perhaps Yeo is making his effort go for naught. As a STH since the beginning, I could give a crap about next year.

With all do respect i think i have to disagree.. Although i'm still not sold on Yeo...I'm not sure if Fletch know's what kinda team he's building here.. Last year and the 2 year's previous they wanted up tempo in your face hockey. Now they think their too small and want Mucker's and Wall player's..I realize you need both to win, but I think Fletch and his staff have to first decide what kind of player's fit their system and Go with it.. Enough of the back and forth crap already.. AKA The B's-The Wings-The Flyer's-etc..These teams year after year darft player's to fit THEIR systems. They don't change their minds on the fly.. The more time that goes on, at least IMO, the more The Fletch deals don't look so good..I like him and like that he's not afraid to pull the trigger, but i 'm personally becoming more skeptical with each trade..Sorry fella's iv'e seen Michael Rupp play numerous times he's probably a great teammate, but this team has many leaders's now..They Need skill , guts and consistency. Guy's that aren't afraid to run their Mother's into the 3rd row and can Score.. Something this franchise has lacked since it's inception.. Same ole' Wild IMO..

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
In an otherwise disappointing finish, I thought the following players looked good:

1) Brodin...what else can I say that hasn't already been said? Kid is silky smooth on his feet and makes good decisions with the puck. Future star in the making.

2) Parise....he was invisible in the Ducks game, but rebounding nicely last night. Usual hardworking effort and was rewarded with a goal.

3) Mitchell....I like him on the 3rd line. Guy can fly and is a genuine pest. Like having him and Clutterbuck on the same line.

4) Granlund....Call it "baby-steps" or whatever..he looked improved last night. Might have something to do with not facing the other teams top checkers...

5) Koivu - hustle play led to Parise's goal.

6) Coyle - Nice debut...would like to have seen him rewarded with a goal.

Not happy with the play of Heatley, Setoguchi, Falk, and Scandella.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't see how it's Yeo's fault that his players can't score. Unless he's teaching them to mindlessly dump the puck back into the corner instead of shooting, which I am pretty sure he's not, it's not his fault.

I fault him for lines and motivation, but that's about it.

Some of this is bad luck in a shorten season. Some of it underperforming individuals. Some of it was inflated projections on the part of all of us because we assumed Granlund would be an impact player, and Bouchard, Setoguchi, and Heatley would regain their former selves.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Dump dump. Dump dump. Dump dump. Dump dump. Dump dump dump dump dump dump dumpdumpdumpdumpdumpdumpdumpdumpJawsscoresonyoubecauseyoukeptgivinghimthepuck

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
[/B]
With all do respect i think i have to disagree.. Although i'm still not sold on Yeo...I'm not sure if Fletch know's what kinda team he's building here.. Last year and the 2 year's previous they wanted up tempo in your face hockey. Now they think their too small and want Mucker's and Wall player's..I realize you need both to win, but I think Fletch and his staff have to first decide what kind of player's fit their system and Go with it.. Enough of the back and forth crap already.. AKA The B's-The Wings-The Flyer's-etc..These teams year after year darft player's to fit THEIR systems. They don't change their minds on the fly.. The more time that goes on, at least IMO, the more The Fletch deals don't look so good..I like him and like that he's not afraid to pull the trigger, but i 'm personally becoming more skeptical with each trade..Sorry fella's iv'e seen Michael Rupp play numerous times he's probably a great teammate, but this team has many leaders's now..They Need skill , guts and consistency. Guy's that aren't afraid to run their Mother's into the 3rd row and can Score.. Something this franchise has lacked since it's inception.. Same ole' Wild IMO..

I can tell you exactly what team he's building. And it is based in PA and a team he was a former front office man in. This has taken over my #1 pet peeve of MN fans only wanting MN born players on this team...we are not the damn Penguins. Stop getting players who had an affiliation with it.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I asked my brother-in-law this morning what is wrong with the Wild and immediately he said YEO. He strongly believes he is the problem. We mostly have the players, we brought in Parise and Suter, we need a big time coach who knows what he's doing in order to complete the picture.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I asked my brother-in-law this morning what is wrong with the Wild and immediately he said YEO. He strongly believes he is the problem. We mostly have the players, we brought in Parise and Suter, we need a big time coach who knows what he's doing in order to complete the picture.

I don't want to give the team that kind of scapegoat yet. As we have been harping on for the last 10 pages of this thread now....it is about managing expectations. We are 9 games into a short season that saw no training camp, no competition, and no preseason. We have what? 7 brand new players that are playing night in and night out right now. One of our top 4 dmen just came back from IR for the last couple months. And another top 4 Dman has been with the team since the trade deadline? Seriously...what the hell are people expecting? We would only have 1 loss right now or something? Many of the teams we have played this year have not seen that type of turnaround we have seen in the offseason.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Oh thank god I was wondering what your brother-in-law was thinking.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thoughts:

- Loved the effort and game of just about everyone. You won't lose many hockey games playing like that. I know that Russo says everyone's frustrated because they "have to try so hard to score", but that's B.S. Last year was a different team, and clearly we've had a lot of players coasting before the Phoenix game. Everyone plays like that, they will improve. And that's really supposed to be Yeo's strong area, getting everyone on the same page. This is a Dave Tippett team they are playing. Clearly they are going to struggle to score. Wild played a stifling system for eight years.

- Are people calling for Yeo's head now? Really? Want to hit the reset button and give up on this year already? I get that the team is not scoring, but the team hasn't scored ever except the one year with Gabby and Demitra and Rolston rolling. Yeo's not telling the guys to not shoot the puck or to turn it over. He can't go on the ice and score the goals.

- That said, I'm curious about Yeo's defensive system. The Wild are sitting back way too much in the neutral zone, not in a good way as in 1-3-1 and clogging up the lanes, but the forwards go to the boards and the D backs way off and basically lets the other team just steam right through across the blue line.

- And in the D zone, the team collapses so deep that they cannot pressure the points. All five players are below the hash marks and between the faceoff dots. Do they not have any faith in the defense or goalie? This is leading to some prolonged shifts, unless someone can intercept the puck. The puck movement is solid from there, surprisingly excellent, but they are spending too much time waiting for the other team to make a mistake rather than forcing them to make mistakes.

- Loved that the Wild could roll four lines last night and not lean on the big guns until late in the game. Now if they can get Spurgeon back and do the same with the defense...

- Charlie Coyle looked very good in his first game. His skill set is higher than I remembered or imagined. Soft hands, gets in the right places in the offensive zone, good shot, tries to make plays. Kid does NOT look like the overmatched big forwards the Wild drafted in the past.

- Coyle's line with Bouchard and Cullen, not bad. Bouchard looked excellent as the Phoenix defenders gave him a little too much respect and had a couple great shots that just missed. Cullen didn't have a great game, maybe still fighting the injury?

- Granlund had his best game yet. He didn't look nearly as slow or weak on the wing. I was afraid the D would play him tight and physical (as they have all year), but they gave him a bit of room and he started to slow the game down a bit and make some plays. Came very close. I saw really for the first time all year that he can be a very good offensive player in this league, but it might take a lot longer than expected for him to figure out what he can and cannot get away with. He's smart and highly skilled, but I think his lack of speed is going to make that transition harder than we hoped.

- Setoguchi had a good bounce back game as well. I liked, but did not love his game. He had shifts where he was aggressive and got the puck, but then could not hold it along the boards to make plays, especially when pressured by the defender. Konopka was surprisingly effective on that line. Nobody was taking shots on Granlund and he nearly kept up ragging the puck, although he did lose the puck or break down plays several times. Makes you wonder if you can find a tough, physical, skilled center for Granlund?

- Koivu and Parise were EXCELLENT. Koivu was a beast tonight. That puck possession ability of his, where he can skate through hits and checks? Best all year. Had some great shots and plays. Parise relentless as ever. Great goal. Heatley...struggled. Looked slow and lost the puck too often. It's got to be frustrating for him as he's a highly skilled guy but seems the body is breaking down and with well below average speed he gets neutralized. I can see him slipping down the lineup.

- "Third" line...lets just call it fourth. Loved what Mitchell did with more ice time, showed his speed and ability to force turnovers and draw penalties (and let's be honest, his penalty should have gone the other way with that hold). Clutter was fine. Brodz is really struggling. He seems like someone who really needed to play hockey during the lockout. After playing well in an increased role last year, he should have gone to Europe and developed that offensive game more.

- Remember when Suter was going to be our #1 defenseman? It's Brodin. Five games into his career as the youngest defenseman in the NHL and he's been the best defenseman nearly every night. Remember when we were worried about his offensive game? He picks his shots SO WELL and puts them on net. They will go.

- Suter was fine. I really thought he was a defensive defenseman, but he's just pure offense and transition. I thought he is showing EXCELLENT chemistry with Brodin. Neither are physical and perhaps it will take time for their net presence to develop, but I love that they can move the puck to each other and make that good first pass. Especially Suter to Brodin in the D zone for the breakout pass.

- Gilbert played strong, he might be our most physical defenseman. Surprising as I thought he was an offensive defenseman primarily. Stoner was okay, didn't embarass himself.

- Falk though...wow that was a dreadful game. Nearly every shift he did something incredibly stupid. Turnovers, bad passes, bad decisions, turnstile defense in his end, ugh. Scandella was okay.

- Backstrom was alright. Made some good stops and gave up his usual jump out of the net and give them a free goal move. He's another player who looks like he really missed playing during the lockout.

- So next game...kind of want to see the same lines? Kind of liked the four lines, bruiser between the skill forwards, speedy checking line, etc.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Positives about tonight's game...

-Brodin
-Got more from lines 2-4
-Coyle looked good in his first game
-Brodin
-There was pretty consistent effort
-Granlund looked better
-We have Rupp on the way to destroy opposing defensemen

Negatives about tonight's game...

-Heater (I'm a big fan of his, but he's not moving his feet)
-We let the Coyotes jump out to a lead (you can't do that against a trapping team)
-Forwards are not finishing their chances (silver lining... LA Kings had trouble scoring most of last season and it steeled their resolve and paid off in the playoffs)
-Didn't leave with any points, and in a shortened season... blah blah blah

Agreed, although who do you take out to put in Rupp?

Hmm...these things scream gimmick to me. Might as well get the Leadership Training guy in there as well. Ugh.

My expectation all along has been that next year we'll really see what this team can do. Suter, Parise, ZK, and Mitchell will have a year in the system, and the young guys will have gone through some growing pains.

That said, I still get bummed when we lose. I don't think Fletch or Yeo should be fired, because it takes time for a team to gel. We've got a lot of talent, and it'll begin to shine after a little while. Today's trade has me excited. Fletch saw a weakness and quickly made changes to address it. Calling up Coyle, and acquiring Rupp will make us tougher to play against. Is anyone really going to miss Palmieri or Powe?

Watching Mitchell, I'm not going to miss Powe at all. Yeah, neither are high end players, but Mitchell did what Powe did better.

In an otherwise disappointing finish, I thought the following players looked good:

1) Brodin...what else can I say that hasn't already been said? Kid is silky smooth on his feet and makes good decisions with the puck. Future star in the making.

2) Parise....he was invisible in the Ducks game, but rebounding nicely last night. Usual hardworking effort and was rewarded with a goal.

3) Mitchell....I like him on the 3rd line. Guy can fly and is a genuine pest. Like having him and Clutterbuck on the same line.

4) Granlund....Call it "baby-steps" or whatever..he looked improved last night. Might have something to do with not facing the other teams top checkers...

5) Koivu - hustle play led to Parise's goal.

6) Coyle - Nice debut...would like to have seen him rewarded with a goal.

Not happy with the play of Heatley, Setoguchi, Falk, and Scandella.

Agreed, although Seto looked okay. Not bad. Not great.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Can't wait to see Brodin score his first goal. He shoots way more than i thought he would, and gets them on net.

Also I'd still like to see someone else tried on that first line instead of Heatley, Parise/Koivu are so good together it'd be nice to see if someone else fits there.

Also if the people really want Yeo fired, we're just going to be going through coaches every 2-3 years and you can't do that. He's had less than 2 seasons coaching in the NHL. At the very least let him finish this one and start next one before you start the mobs. Who would you rather have coach the Wild than Yeo right now? Torch, Someone who has also never been a head coach in the NHL?

THEALLKNOWING*

Can't wait to see Brodin score his first goal. He shoots way more than i thought he would, and gets them on net.

Also I'd still like to see someone else tried on that first line instead of Heatley, Parise/Koivu are so good together it'd be nice to see if someone else fits there.

Also if the people really want Yeo fired, we're just going to be going through coaches every 2-3 years and you can't do that. He's had less than 2 seasons coaching in the NHL. At the very least let him finish this one and start next one before you start the mobs. Who would you rather have coach the Wild than Yeo right now? Torch, Someone who has also never been a head coach in the NHL?

In terms of talent, this year's team better than last. Last year's team better than the year before. Yet this team plays just like it did under Todd Richards. From the perspective of a STH, recall that 3-4K STH's were sold when ZP & RS were signed. Unlike contracts, those STH's are renewed every year. Liepold/Fletch/Yeo need to win now. Sure, in 2-3 years, the Wild will be deeper, with more overall talent. But the current stars will also be 2-3 years older. Early-to-mid-30s. They all could become slow as molasses like Heatley for all we know. This organization is the NHL equivalent of the Detroit Lions. They need somebody with the intensity/passion of Wes Walz, in some role, behind the bench.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Who ya gonna call??

J.B. Spisso
spisso_jb.jpg

:laugh:

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Watched the archive this morning.

Much better game by the Wild. Coyle looked great. I, um...really liked the Granlund-Konopka-Setoguchi line. I think Granlund worked better as a winger. Wild did a good job of taking back the momentum in the 3rd and I really thought they were gonna tie it up. Better possession, better cycling. Apart from the whole not scoring thing, the PP looked like they clicked much better, too.

Maybe it's just because Phoenix has such a sad offense, but the Wild did a better shot of blocking shots, keeping them to the outside, and generally did a good job of only allowing bad/easy shots. The first goal (which pretty much dooms you against a team like PHX) was really disappointing on Backs, who has otherwise been much better the last two games.

Here's the thing, though...we just can't afford to lose––even a loss that shows a lot of improvement––with our record in the basement and so few games to turn it back around. And definitely not against a middling-to-bad team like the Coyotes.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

We were about our season norm. A solid 20-30 minutes but 15-20 minutes of hockey that's not acceptable. Sometimes you can win games in 20-30 minutes, but you'd like to see guys play from start to finish, something we haven't really done this year. That is 100% on the players, not the coach.

:huh:

also, Seto has not always thrived with talented centers, ask Sharks fans. Unless scoring 20 automatically (no matter the play, the opportunities, the linemates..) means thriving.

20 goals is about what you can expect from Setoguchi in a full season, considering he's been around there the past 3 seasons. I'm disappointed that he hasn't scored in 9 games this season, but its not like he's a guy who can be counted on night-in night out. He's a fringe 2nd line forward, much like Matt Cullen only less versatile and experience.

What I find weird is Yeo said Cullen/Bouchard played their best hockey with each other last year. Well, Setoguchi was the primary winger on that line(Wellman for a couple games too). Why has Yeo not went back to that line? I would have went with that line from game 1, but thats just me. I'll give Yeo credit that he's tried several things so far and is running out of options, but I don't know why he hasn't went back to a successful line from last year when 1-2 of those players are struggling, and none are showing great chemistry with the lines they've played with.

Heatley is just dissapointing for me. He hasn´t added anything to the 1st line for 3 games now. He is just coasting there.

He is what he is. There's not much that can be done with him. I don't see a positive situation where we take Dany Heatley off the top-line, he's more likely to become a locker room distraction than improve another line. I'd like to see our PP take advantage of the space he's creating though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Thoughts:

I agree with all of this. This is the type of game I wanted to see. It wasn't a win but you can tell they were fighting and they were creating chances. It's frustrating, damn sure. But guess what? At least they were trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad