GDT: 2/27/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
None of that matters if they fail to make the playoffs. 8th seed facing the Panthers will not be a very good result with the mess that this team is in. Sugarcaot everything if you want.

How is saying I doubt we'll make the playoffs or do jack shit if we make it in sugarcoating anything?

Reactions: Bartleby

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I think you're spot on but nobody envisioned Serge getting hurt like he did.

If we have a chance to make a trade for someone like Hanifin for say Cirelli + Perbix or something like that. I think you do it.

If Serge was healthy then yeah stand pat, but there is an opportunity here that I think could benefit the team going ahead.

I say Cirelli because I think he was given that contract with the hope that he would step up and contribute more offensivley, which hasn't happened. I love

him as a player but if we could somehow trade that contract while gaining a player like Hanifin, how do you not do that?

Of course this is all just speculation. If it turns out we were never in the running for him I wouldn't be surprised either.

I don't think there's a chance in hell we can get Hanifin for that return, and that's coming from someone who's higher on Cirelli than most. I still think he's being slept on some. He's our 4th best forward in ES scoring per 60, and he's had to deal with Stammer as a linemate for a chunk of the season. Maybe GMs think more of him than most of our fans though.

For their respective contracts, I think I'd rather keep Cirelli over Cernak. I think Cirelli still has room for growth, and Cernak has peaked...not to mention the ongoing injury concerns. I don't know if I'd be actively shopping the latter, but if I could get a solid return for him, I would definitely consider it.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't think there's a chance in hell we can get Hanifin for that return, and that's coming from someone who's higher on Cirelli than most. I still think he's being slept on some. He's our 4th best forward in ES scoring per 60, and he's had to deal with Stammer as a linemate for a chunk of the season. Maybe GMs think more of him than most of our fans though.

For their respective contracts, I think I'd rather keep Cirelli over Cernak. I think Cirelli still has room for growth, and Cernak has peaked...not to mention the ongoing injury concerns. I don't know if I'd be actively shopping the latter, but if I could get a solid return for him, I would definitely consider it.
Can't believe there's still 7 years left on those contracts. What an oof.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
What a god awful performance again by Vasy. Quit watching after that fourth goal but all were very stoppable, especially for a supposed best goaltender in the world. At least two of them were soft as f***.

This team heads to the right direction for a couple of games and then it just always unravels like this. We've definitely lost some of that leadership that made us so good and the current crop of leaders on this team aren't good enough.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
What a god awful performance again by Vasy. Quit watching after that fourth goal but all were very stoppable, especially for a supposed best goaltender in the world. At least two of them were soft as f***.

This team heads to the right direction for a couple of games and then it just always unravels like this. We've definitely lost some of that leadership that made us so good and the current crop of leaders on this team aren't good enough.
Agreed. We reverted back to the core that couldn't get it done. Idk what goes on in there but the guys we lost certainly are missed.

Reactions: Fan from AK

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think I would still rather have Vasy in net than JJ but the fact that it’s even debatable is horrible

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I know the game is mostly Vasilevskiy's fault, but it was the first game in awhile where Glendening, Chaffee, Eyssimont, & Motte looked actively bad. Shows that teams with a much more aggressive forecheck, with speed, can pin us down for most of a game.

Reactions: Renopucker

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Looks bad, OP
IMG_1711.jpeg

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
It's not just on here but everywhere. I read about how he's still injured or recovering from his back surgery.

Then why are we playing him so much? Our local press folks are weak as hell and never ask any hard questions.
He let in a ton of first shots during Tor series on the playoffs, he was definitely off and looking like his current, lost self. I’m sure surgery didn’t help, but this downside started prior to surgery.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He let in a ton of first shots during Tor series on the playoffs, he was definitely off and looking like his current, lost self. I’m sure surgery didn’t help, but this downside started prior to surgery.
He played through injury, which is his fault for not communicating that he was hurt, and BriseBois's (and previously Yzerman/Al Murray) fault for not solving the backup goaltender problem with a reliable option far sooner so Vasilevskiy wouldn't have to play as much. Even when Johansson is decent, the problem is still there, as Alnefelt is teetering on bust/AAAA/back to European Pro territory now and there's nothing else that is promising in the pool in terms of goaltending.

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
He played through injury, which is his fault for not communicating that he was hurt, and BriseBois's (and previously Yzerman/Al Murray) fault for not solving the backup goaltender problem with a reliable option far sooner so Vasilevskiy wouldn't have to play as much. Even when Johansson is decent, the problem is still there, as Alnefelt is teetering on bust/AAAA/back to European Pro territory now and there's nothing else that is promising in the pool in terms of goaltending.
What was the injury and when did it happen?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Back injury, unsure when it started

It is unclear how Vasilevskiy initially sustained a herniated disc in his lower back, but it happened in August well before training camp started. Initially, an injection alleviated the issue, but Vasilevskiy felt pain again during his first practice of camp; a second injection, treatment and rest didn’t work.
The microdiscectomy procedure Vasilevskiy had on Sept. 28 is a minimally invasive surgery that removes the portion of the disc that is putting pressure on the nerves and generally, the disc itself remains largely intact.

“We have a lot of athletes with microdiscectomies who are in major professional sports who have gone back doing what they do, but then unfortunately, it is genetics to a large extent that ultimately will determine, and his disc, just where that will go,” Anand said. “Being a goalie, the load on the spine from squatting up and down is tremendous and actually even more than your regular hockey player.

“But he’s a professional athlete and extremely gifted and motivated and he can get back to normal. I feel confident that, as long as the surgery went well, he can get back to where he is and get back to the level he was at, as most professional athletes do.”

• Wow
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Wow lots of people here that watch hockey but don’t understand toxic hockey culture.

do people actually think that vasy would tell coaches and players that he's too hurt to go? new levels of understanding my posting crew here. incredible.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Add hockey culture as to why Vasi sucks this year to the list.

Got it. Incredible.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Wow lots of people here that watch hockey but don’t understand toxic hockey culture.

do people actually think that vasy would tell coaches and players that he's too hurt to go? new levels of understanding my posting crew here. incredible.
A players not letting his coaches know how hurt he actually is has nothing to do with "hockey culture." LOL

Thats EVERY professional sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2