GDT: 2/27/24 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Its obvious Vassy needs to play better. No shit.

Hard to take people seriously on here when they shit on Vassy in every single game.

Its also obvious that the team has plenty of holes that need to be filled.

Its not all on goaltending.
The end of last season didn't leave a good taste in anyone's mouth, given how well the skaters played. A few people on this forum have been wanting to bury him alive since then, but the majority have given him a lot of slack this year. I have hope he can return to form as he's still relatively young, but we're are a low point right now (I hope).

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Tampa isn't selling, let's be real here. They aren't entering a rebuild, and valuable players such as Cirelli, Serg, Cernak, Vasy etc aren't being shopped. It's one less than expected season in terms of points, but they are still in position to make the playoffs, and with some additions that can help not just this season but beyond, they will be fine. There's still a chance for this season, so adding is still the right play, especially for players that either have term, or are ufa's/rfa's that can be re-signed. Any future picks that may be traded from next year or the year after don't do anything to help this core win until, at best, the very end of it. While planning for the future is all well and good, there is far too much talent on the team to not continue to push for Cups with them. Address the depth on the F group and on the blueline(and hopefully, JBB does a little better this tdl and offseason with trades and signings than last year), but selling is a very poor decision.
I really question what state the team would have to be in for you to think adding was not the right play.

Vasy has played the worst season of his career as a starter by far and we've never done anything as a franchise in the playoffs without elite goaltending - Khabi, Roloson (1 season), Bishop and Vasy. Through 35 games Vasy's save % is .008 better than JJ's.

Our blueline is aging (Hedman), brittle (Cernak), out of the year (Serge), regressing (Perbix), inexperienced and unproven (Lilleberg and Crozier) and AHL level (De Haan).

At forward we have 4 legit scoring line forwards (Kuch, Point, Hagel, Stamkos), 2 third liners (Paul, Cirelli) and the remaining six are 4th liners. So tack depth scoring on to the more glaring problems in net and on the blueline.

So yeah, we should absolutely sell Stammer for whatever we can get and take on a contract that ends this year for a pick or prospect if an actual contender gives us that offer.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I really question what state the team would have to be in for you to think adding was not the right play.

Vasy has played the worst season of his career as a starter by far and we've never done anything as a franchise in the playoffs without elite goaltending - Khabi, Roloson (1 season), Bishop and Vasy. Through 35 games Vasy's save % is .008 better than JJ's.

Our blueline is aging (Hedman), brittle (Cernak), out of the year (Serge), regressing (Perbix), inexperienced and unproven (Lilleberg and Crozier) and AHL level (De Haan).

At forward we have 4 legit scoring line forwards (Kuch, Point, Hagel, Stamkos), 2 third liners (Paul, Cirelli) and the remaining six are 4th liners. So tack depth scoring on to the more glaring problems in net and on the blueline.

So yeah, we should absolutely sell Stammer for whatever we can get and take on a contract that ends this year for a pick or prospect if an actual contender gives us that offer.
The blueline needs one add, but it isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be, and they could use 1 or 2 middle/bottom 6 F additions, which are definitely available at the deadline. As long as they remain in a playoff spot and in contention, they should use what they can to try and improve the team. Good luck selling Stamkos, as JBB isn't wrecking what chances they do have by trying to force a trade of the team captain. Even if he did approach Stamkos, I'm betting Stamkos laughs and uses his NMC anyway.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Even if he did approach Stamkos, I'm betting Stamkos laughs and uses his NMC anyway.
I'm guessing this is why JBB "put that to bed" already, but if this isn't the case, I hope he tries. Stamkos doesn't seem to be that thrilled playing on the third with Sheary and if things are bleak here by the trade deadline, I'm hoping he's open to having a chance with another team. It wouldn't mean he couldn't resign with us if he wants it enough to give us a favorable deal, though I wouldn't be for it.

Things seem undeniably bleak in our net, for this season at least. I'm not writing Vasy off for next season though.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm guessing this is why JBB "put that to bed" already, but if this isn't the case, I hope he tries. Stamkos doesn't seem to be that thrilled playing on the third with Sheary and if things are bleak here by the trade deadline, I'm hoping he's open to having a chance with another team. It wouldn't mean he couldn't resign with us if he wants it enough to give us a favorable deal, though I wouldn't be for it.

Things seem undeniably bleak in our net, for this season at least. I'm not writing Vasy off for next season though.
If Stamkos has done a complete 180, then I guess. Even then though, the amount of teams he'd be willing to go to would undoubtedly be few, and thus limit the return. While possible he could then re-sign with Tampa, it's unusual to see that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad