2 1st round pick vs considerations futures. Best trade ever in NHL? - Master, Kent Hughes.

Best trade in history of NHL.

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 51.0%
  • KevSkillz4, you are just a HabsLover.

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
Its not 2x 1st pick vs nothing. That would mean that no team get Monahan

Its 2x 1st pick for Monahan. So no its not the best trade in nhl history. You can stop the homerism a little bit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wrote what I did because we see each and every year teams overpaying for various players. not actually caring about the [publicly available] advanced stat side of things. Either because they have access to a completely different set of stats than you and I and don't rely at all on WAR, xGAR or xGF, but rather their own analysts with their own models and ways to evaluate players, or because they have no clue what they're doing. I know which way I'm leaning.

I don't think anyone should be surprised if Monahan fetched them a 1st. Two years ago we saw Florida pay a 1st for Chiarot.

Well, congrats for the Habs they got it, although possibly very late. If there was one team where Monahan could actually do well, it's the Jets.

Reactions: hn777

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When I think best trades, the first one I think of is the Lindros trade, where they brought back a player in Peter Forsberg, who was pretty much equal to Lindros, plus a bunch of other great assets which built that team into a juggernaut.

Also something like Yashin for Spezza, Chara where you traded a disgruntled guy for a HHoFer, and a #1C.

Reactions: Bileur

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Its not 2x 1st pick vs nothing. That would mean that no team get Monahan

Its 2x 1st pick for Monahan. So no its not the best trade in nhl history. You can stop the homerism a little bit
Montreal "traded" future considerations for Monahan + 1st, and then flipped Monahan for 1st + conditional 3rd. You're missing something here. The cost to Montreal for two 1sts + conditional 3rd was future considerations - aka: nothing.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The entire premise of the thread is wrong, in order for it to be considered the best trade (singular) ever, it would have to be in 1 trade. They got a first to take Monahan and they traded him for a 1st, those are 2 separate transactions.

It would be like me saying the Devils traded Adam Larsson for Dawson Mercer, Kevin Bahl and Jonas Siegenthaler!!! BEST TRADE EVER!!!!

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
Montreal "traded" future considerations for Monahan + 1st, and then flipped Monahan for 1st + conditional 3rd. You're missing something here. The cost to Montreal for two 1sts + conditional 3rd was future considerations - aka: nothing.
I understand what you're trying to say but thats not how it works.

The first 1st pick was receive to take the Salary and Cap Hit of Monahan. Maybe from a fan poit of view it's ''nothing'' but from a Business perspective it's not ''nothing'' like you said.

The second first pick would not have been acquired if the habs did not have Monahan. By your logic, a team that signs a free agent and trades him during the season for a 1st round pick is the same as getting a 1st for nothing.

Habs did a great assets management with this trade, but its false to say habs 2x 1st round picks for nothing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I understand what you're trying to say but thats not how it works.

The first 1st pick was receive to take the Salary and Cap Hit of Monahan. Maybe from a fan poit of view it's ''nothing'' but from a Business perspective it's not ''nothing'' like you said.

The second first pick would not have been acquired if the habs did not have Monahan. By your logic, a team that signs a free agent and trades him during the season for a 1st round pick is the same as getting a 1st for nothing.

Habs did a great assets management with this trade, but its false to say habs 2x 1st round picks for nothing.
The argument is clearly about tradeable assets. You're not understanding the point. That is correct that trading a player you sign as a UFA for a 1st means you have up nothing, when fans don't care about the dollars that the owner pays and likely will pay regardless. We care about tradeable assets, which is pretty obviously the point here.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
One trade, one signing, second trade.

That's 3 actions.

For it to count as "the best trade", it needs to be one action.

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
The argument is clearly about tradeable assets. You're not understanding the point. That is correct that trading a player you sign as a UFA for a 1st means you have up nothing, when fans don't care about the dollars that the owner pays and likely will pay regardless. We care about tradeable assets, which is pretty obviously the point here.
You are not understanding thats the habs did not trade ''nothing'' for a 1st pick! We have different way of seeing things thats it!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You are not understanding thats the habs did not trade ''nothing'' for a 1st pick! We have different way of seeing things thats it!
Ugh dude, how are you not getting this?

Montreal traded zero assets for Monahan + 1st, then traded Monahan for another 1st. They gave up NOTHING and received two 1sts.

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
Ugh dude, how are you not getting this?

Montreal traded zero assets for Monahan + 1st, then traded Monahan for another 1st. They gave up NOTHING and received two 1sts.
Wont waste any time if you don't understand that Monahan IS AN ASSET. If you don't get that, I don't know what to tell you. Lets say the Habs trade savard and receive a 1st. You will say the Habs trade NOTHING for a 1st round pick. If you think that is the correct way of seeing things, you're delusional

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wont waste any time if you don't understand that Monahan IS AN ASSET. If you don't get that, I don't know what to tell you. Lets say the Habs trade savard and receive a 1st. You will say the Habs trade NOTHING for a 1st round pick. If you think that is the correct way of seeing things, you're delusional
You know what dude, this is honestly just an incredible waste of time trying to argue with you. I suggest you take your head out of the sand once in a while.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
this is incredibly dense lol

Evergreen

It’s great asset management for sure. But probably not the best trade ever. Let’s see what those picks become.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's a nice bit of asset management, but no...it's certainly not the best trade ever.

The Flyers once traded a 2nd round pick and Doug Favell for Bernie Parent, one of the 10 best goalies of all-time and the MVP of their 2 Stanley Cups. Just to give you an example from the team I follow on a much better trade. There are probably dozens of other stories like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille