2 1st round pick vs considerations futures. Best trade ever in NHL? - Master, Kent Hughes.

Best trade in history of NHL.

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 51.0%
  • KevSkillz4, you are just a HabsLover.

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
1706822172455.png

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We all know that Sean Monahan will be traded before 8 march. The only question it's when and where.

It's a really good chance that Habs will get a 1st round pick.

If they can do that, they will have traded considerations futures for 2 1st round picks.

Best trade in history of NHL?
There are other teams besides the Habs you know.

I also doubt that Sean is going to get a 1st back anyways.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
We all know that Sean Monahan will be traded before 8 march. The only question it's when and where.

It's a really good chance that Habs will get a 1st round pick.

If they can do that, they will have traded considerations futures for 2 1st round picks.

Best trade in history of NHL?

Monahan getting a 1st is far from certain.

He could get injured. His play could drop off. He could be traded for a player/prospect. His value could simply not be as high as it seems from the outside.

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you are assuming the 1st is guaranteed.

It was a great trade, and it will still be a great trade if Monahan doesn't net us anything in return. Habs got a 1st and a useful NHLer for two years that has helped our young core grow. Everything else is gravy.

A likely mid-late 1st from CGY and whatever decent return we get for him isn't exactly exciting enough to enter the "best trade ever" convo.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
There are other teams besides the Habs you know.

I also doubt that Sean is going to get a 1st back anyways.

Looks at Lindholm trade. Monahan will have a little less value, but he produce more this year. He is the only great C available after Lindholm.

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Looks at Lindholm trade. Monahan will have a little less value, but he produce more this year. He is the only great C available after Lindholm.
Monahan isn't a great center and Henrique is more desirable.

As for your "best trade ever"....... seriously?

Reactions: wintersej

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Monahan not a great center... ok well you watch your hockey lol!

46% of Monahan's points are on the PP, so a team wanting to pay for him would need to have a big need in that department.

Among 419 forwards with at least 200 ES minutes, Monahan is 415th in xGA/60 with 3.8

361st in xGF%

Who the hell would pay a 1st for that? (this is from January 15th)

1706839797880.png

Comment is : "Monahan still has something to give on the powerplay and above-average playmaking but I'm not certain if he can play the third line two-way centre role that an acquiring contender will likely be tempted to deploy him in"

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I prefer to look at it as the Worst trade in NHL history made by Treliving.

Hey didn’t he do that worst signing in NHL history too with Huberdeau?

Leafs got themselves a gem I tell ya.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

If Habs got a another 1st, trade nothing for 2 first, you ever see that in your life?
2 first could end up as nothing like majority of picks. So you need to wait few years if it was actual value for nothing or nothing for nothing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Did you start following the NHL this season?

No and that is why I look at things on a much deeper level now. 35 pts in 49 games looks good but Dominik Kubalik had pretty decent stats too before this season. I wanted him traded before he even played a game for Ottawa and now he has been the worst regular forward on the Sens (Dorion had no idea what he was doing)

You probably said this because there's always a team stupid/desperate to pay that 1st but regarding advanced stats, I think every team is pretty much on it now

"Muh fancy stats don't look good"

Who cares, 35 pts in 49 games is all that matters.

17 ES pts mostly in the Habs Top-6

A playoff team looking to add a forward mostly likely already have 6 better forwards so they'd be looking at Monahan as a 3rd line player (IF they have a need). So modest ES production and horrible advanced metrics... it's not "fancy stats", it's pretty telling of what is happening when certain players are on the ice.

Tarasenko returned a 1st last year, he has 27 ES pts in 4 less games this season (and 19 ES pts in 38 games when he got traded) and some people don't think he'd return a 1st this year.

It's very possible that a team spends a 1st on Monahan, it depends on needs/market, doesn't mean it'd be a great investment.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We are assessing the hypothetical value of a hypothetical trade here?

Ok, well, personally, I think there's a lot of difference in value between an early first, a mid first and a late first.

Reactions: ole ole

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
No and that is why I look at things on a much deeper level now. 35 pts in 49 games looks good but Dominik Kubalik had pretty decent stats too before this season. I wanted him traded before he even played a game for Ottawa and now he has been the worst regular forward on the Sens (Dorion had no idea what he was doing)

You probably said this because there's always a team stupid/desperate to pay that 1st but regarding advanced stats, I think every team is pretty much on it now

I wrote what I did because we see each and every year teams overpaying for various players. not actually caring about the [publicly available] advanced stat side of things. Either because they have access to a completely different set of stats than you and I and don't rely at all on WAR, xGAR or xGF, but rather their own analysts with their own models and ways to evaluate players, or because they have no clue what they're doing. I know which way I'm leaning.

I don't think anyone should be surprised if Monahan fetched them a 1st. Two years ago we saw Florida pay a 1st for Chiarot.

Reactions: Fuonki and Xspyrit

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021

If Habs got a another 1st, trade nothing for 2 first, you ever see that in your life?
There is no way in hell that acquiring lottery tickets could be the "best trade ever" when Hall Of Fame players have been acquired in very lopsided deals.

Reactions: olli

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
When I think best trades, the first one I think of is the Lindros trade, where they brought back a player in Peter Forsberg, who was pretty much equal to Lindros, plus a bunch of other great assets which built that team into a juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese