Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Last night was a great game by the whole Jets and if the 1st and 2nd line consistently looked and played like that, the whole 2nd line would have a lot more 5v5 points (even though they didn't have any last night...) and not many people would probably want to split the 1st line, because they were absolutely dominant. But after their hot stretch to start the season, it was probably the 1st game in last 10 where they looked geniunely great. I still don't think the top-6 is optimal, though last night they did put together an awesome game. I hope the team gained momentum from the Blues games and keeps that up.

Speaking of keeping up, Little can't seem to do that with his young wingers in terms of creative offensive plays most times + neither Ehlers nor Laine is very good on the cycle. A lot of the time their play just breaks down because they simply don't gel as an unit. They have shown glimpses of better lately, so maybe they can eventually figure it out, but the price to pay might be a bit high if the Jets keep sliding backwards in the standings. There was a time when the top-6 could be justified because of how well the 1st line played and how Jets were winning, but that situation hasn't existed for the last 10 games or so. The problem with the 2nd line and why it's taking so long to work out the issues is there's been very little to build around - if there was strong chemistry between center + the other winger, then you could build around that and the second winger could adapt their game. Now it's like they've had to built chemistry from scratch and it's been taking them really long.

Ideally I would personally like to see Scheif-Laine + Little-Wheeler pairings and Ehlers/Connor/Perrault slotted on the other wings, but something like Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler + Connor-Little-Laine might also be a step up. Taking into account their last 10 record (4-4-2) I doubt either switching the centers around or moving a winger between the lines would've been a catastrophy compared to that. Also what baffles me is the seemingly strong aversion against playing Laine w/ Scheif at all - if you're down a couple in the 3rd and the team hasn't looked that great, why not put your best goal scorer on the wing of your best center??? There's been plenty of games where that seemed like a nobrainer to me and hindsight proves it would've been at least worth a shot since the Jets ended up losing those games. The very few times Maurice has adjusted the lines during game, the changes he has made have been mostly totally unexpected for me. I guess it shows creative thinking on his part :)

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Ideally I would personally like to see Scheif-Laine + Little-Wheeler pairings and Ehlers/Connor/Perrault slotted on the other wings, but something like Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler + Connor-Little-Laine might also be a step up. Taking into account their last 10 record (4-4-2) I doubt either switching the centers around or moving a winger between the lines would've been a catastrophy compared to that. Also what baffles me is the seemingly strong aversion against playing Laine w/ Scheif at all - if you're down a couple in the 3rd and the team hasn't looked that great, why not put your best goal scorer on the wing of your best center??? There's been plenty of games where that seemed like a nobrainer to me and hindsight proves it would've been at least worth a shot since the Jets ended up losing those games. The very few times Maurice has adjusted the lines during game, the changes he has made have been mostly totally unexpected for me. I guess it shows creative thinking on his part :)

I would love to see those pairings as well. Think Scheifele and Laine could potentially already be one of the deadliest combos out there and is absolutely worthy a try. Laine had his best game last night and on better day would have scored a hat trick from those chances. He was just everywhere and didn't lose battles. Fun to think about but that's only the beginning for him and seeing dominant glimpses like that are just reminders of what's to come. Don't think his in the right place at the right time at the moment, but that's beyond me so I just set focus into the future instead. Maurice doesn't really provide any surprises either, you just know the things that aren't going to happen and you know not to expect too much. Anyway, from team's point of view that was much better game than the one before. Could've been the home crowd, who knows. The Preds are another benchmark. Lets see what happens. A few games later it's going to be fun seeing Laine and Puljujärvi battle it out. ;)

Reactions: 1OApick

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
This. We should make really good lines and not make them just to optimize wheeler's individual production. Make lines with better chemistry even if the captain is against it and maybe we can win a game in the playoffs. Now that we dont have as many injuries as last season and we have a good goalie we have a chance this time.

Well played sir.

Reactions: Halberdier

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I thought this was a thread about all the players in the top 6?

In fact I was corrected for calling this yet another Laine thread a while back..

huh...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Roslovic's been playing extremely well with the Moose - one can dream:

Connor - Scheif - Wheels
Ehlers - Roslo - Laine
Perreault - Little - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Unlikely to happen this year, but maybe next season? G'luck matching up with that, if Roslo can push for the 2C position.

“IF” Roslo can push for that spot, we’d be a Cup threat IMO. And i think i mentioned last year that next season could be a golden opportunity with Laine and Connor still on their ELC’s. Should have tons of cap space for a push.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Roslo starts at C, Maurice probably plays him at 3C to get him better matchups. Your lineup certainly would be hard to play against though. Here is what I would like to see if Roslo is in the line up...

Perreault - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Little - Armia
Ehlers - Roslo - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

I might switch Armia and Wheeler depending...

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If Roslo starts at C, Maurice probably plays him at 3C to get him better matchups. Your lineup certainly would be hard to play against though. Here is what I would like to see if Roslo is in the line up...

Perreault - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Little - Armia
Ehlers - Roslo - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

I might switch Armia and Wheeler depending...

If Roslovic is up for that, it would be great for the Jets. Would give Jets so much more opportunity to get 3 offensively strong lines going. Can think of a dozen line combos which look really good on paper (to me at least) if Roslovic is legit on NHL level.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

In fact I was corrected for calling this yet another Laine thread a while back..

huh...

Back then there was a thread dedicated to Laine. It was since closed and they told us discuss Laine in this thread instead.

And Laine is part of those first 2 lines, discussion becomes difficult if we are to put "X" or "he whose name we do not say" when the discussion inevitably includes "that one guy not named Ehlers, Wheeler, Scheifele, Little or Connor that plays in one of those lines".

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

huh...

Laine thread was closed, and moderator said that you could and should post your general Laine related posts in here instead.

Though if personal attacks and this kind of meta discussions about other posters were strictly banned, there would be no reason for close those threads.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Though if personal attacks and this kind of meta discussions about other posters were strictly banned, there would be no reason for close those threads.

After over 100 deletions and close to that amount of edits in the last thread alone, it became a bit of a losing battle to moderate. We can't stop things from being posted - we can only act after the fact, and even then we only have so many volunteers to monitor. Please, please report whatever anyone thinks is a transgression, so one of the other global mods around the site can help.

If people would just stop commenting about each other, things would be fine. Swell, even. ;)

Consider this thread a general roster discussion, which includes what we think should happen with Laine's usage, etc.

Reactions: Ducky10 and ps241

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What's up with Nickels? I've been pretty disappointed with his defensive effort for the last 15 games or so. He is such a beast on the boards in the Ozone but seems unwilling to do the same in the other end.

2nd line has looked better for a couple of games. Could be waay better but I'm hopeful. It seems to me that the line works when Laine starts moving his feet like he has the last couple of games. Still would prefer a top 6 shuffle but think they will be fine if Laine is back to his last seasons effort level.

When do Frenchy and Armia of One get a center to play with? They deserve it. I realize it's hard to break up CLT with how they are playing but it feels like we aren't utilizing two of the best two-way players we have...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
What's up with Nickels? I've been pretty disappointed with his defensive effort for the last 15 games or so. He is such a beast on the boards in the Ozone but seems unwilling to do the same in the other end.

2nd line has looked better for a couple of games. Could be waay better but I'm hopeful. It seems to me that the line works when Laine starts moving his feet like he has the last couple of games. Still would prefer a top 6 shuffle but think they will be fine if Laine is back to his last seasons effort level.

When do Frenchy and Armia of One get a center to play with? They deserve it. I realize it's hard to break up CLT with how they are playing but it feels like we aren't utilizing two of the best two-way players we have...

Tell me this line up wouldn’t work with a straight face...

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...

Reactions: Huffer

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...

4th line isn't as strong as 9-17-13
We basically need Roslovic or an addition to force the teams hand to give him Hendricks spot. Roslovic needs to prove he is at this level. He's basically biding his time waiting for an injury (the right injury). With any luck his injury audition will go so well the team will be forced to make a move to keep him up with the NHL club. At that point top 6 discussions have to be more about 9 because we'll have 3 strong scoring line options.

It sucks but unless one of 55, 26, 29, 27, 81, 85 gets injured it is likely that the Jets may use Matthias, Dano or potentially a Lemieux to fill a different role.
If we are healthy (knock on wood) it may be a while before Roslovic gets a chance.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Of course. So Perrault puts up .86 ppg playing 12 minutes on the 4th line. OMG He's the most productive player on this team!

I caught myself listening to Beyak rambling about stats last night (usually I tune him out) and I think he said Joel Armia has scored a point in 6 of the last 7 home games. Personally I like a productive 4th line that feasts on soft match ups. Not saying you don’t like a productive 4th line just adding to MP’s production comments. Matty elevating Joel’s game is a good thing IMO.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...

This wouldn't work....

tenor.gif

JK, yes it would, I've advocated for it as well.

Reactions: Festinator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
4th line isn't as strong as 9-17-13
We basically need Roslovic or an addition to force the teams hand to give him Hendricks spot. Roslovic needs to prove he is at this level. He's basically biding his time waiting for an injury (the right injury). With any luck his injury audition will go so well the team will be forced to make a move to keep him up with the NHL club. At that point top 6 discussions have to be more about 9 because we'll have 3 strong scoring line options.

It sucks but unless one of 55, 26, 29, 27, 81, 85 gets injured it is likely that the Jets may use Matthias, Dano or potentially a Lemieux to fill a different role.
If we are healthy (knock on wood) it may be a while before Roslovic gets a chance.
I'm not sure Copp is that big a drop off from Lowry at C, positionally he's every bit as good imo. MLA did a great job last season in a similar role, I;m not so sure Matthias couldn't hold up his end of the bargain in that combination. The rest of the lines provide more scoring depth and would be tough to match up agaisnt.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...
Possibly. Still not happening.

X-55-X
X-18-X
X-17-X
X-15-X

You can have whatever vision you have - and I am certainly not one to blame you for that - but the reality is that Maurice decides, and with Maurice in charge, this is the base. An injury is the only thing that can push Hendricks out of the lineup at this point.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...

This would leave little room for optimizing assets as it would be the most ideal line up already (outside from maybe slotting Roslovic somewhere in the middle of things). Not that we get to see that, but well done nevertheless.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

85-55-29
27-18-26
81-17-40
16-9-13

Like seriously...

I seriously like that lineup... More and more every time I look at it.

Connor-Lowry-Armia sounds great, and maybe the only sane position for Connor outside CSW and CLW.

PSL is just a dream come true as briefly seen last season. Better than CSW in about every respect, except possibly endurance. But thar should do if they did even out TOI more for the 2nd line.

ELW. What should be said about that. Long time line mates Little and Wheeler have always been playing good together and Ehlers adds up speed, goal scoring and creativity.

One thing I'm bit unsure is absense of Hendricks, really. I'm not joking. He is slow, slow and slow, but he does position himself so well, plays surprisingly smart and has been pretty good on PK. You know the experience. Maurice loves that. Hendricks is a (much) lesser version of Lowry, and I'm worried if Copp can replace him as a center defensively.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Possibly. Still not happening.

X-55-X
X-18-X
X-17-X
X-15-X

You can have whatever vision you have - and I am certainly not one to blame you for that - but the reality is that Maurice decides, and with Maurice in charge, this is the base. An injury is the only thing that can push Hendricks out of the lineup at this point.

Oh yes of course. Would take an act of god to get Hendricks out of the lineup right now.

I seriously like that lineup... More and more every time I look at it.

Connor-Lowry-Armia sounds great, and maybe the only sane position for Connor outside CSW and CLW.

PSL is just a dream come true as briefly seen last season. Better than CSW in about every respect, except possibly endurance. But thar should do if they did even out TOI more for the 2nd line.

ELW. What should be said about that. Long time line mates Little and Wheeler have always been playing good together and Ehlers adds up speed, goal scoring and creativity.

One thing I'm bit unsure is absense of Hendricks, really. I'm not joking. He is slow, slow and slow, but he does position himself so well, plays surprisingly smart and has been pretty good on PK. You know the experience. Maurice loves that. Hendricks is a (much) lesser version of Lowry, and I'm worried if Copp can replace him as a center defensively.

Yeh we know Lowry and Armia are likely to mesh well but I think adding Connor could put our 3rd line over the top. Connor has shown the ability and willingness to go into the corners and has good speed. I think giving Lowry someone like him would really spark their offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad