Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If you don't break a sweat in the first game, you should be okay for the second.

Funny joke aside, Laine was really good on the first game against the Blues as well.

This season back to back games are also easier for Laine due to lower TOI than last year. (Though just because the back to back, 1st line TOI was lower too. Someone did already thank Maurice for the increased TOI for Laine, but partially it was just about not having 1st line playing 22 mins/game.)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Was it seriously that difficult Mr. Moronice? I mean how many friggin games do you seriously need to keep hitting your head against the wall?

At least to me it has been pretty obvious already for about a year now that Laine and Ehlers are an absolutely horrible combination on the ice on the same line. They are pure Kryptonite to each others offensively as well as defensively. You want to keep both of these guys scoring consistently? Just keep them separated on the ice whenever you can. The dudes are an absolutely horrible match together.

And to you whom have been consistently claiming for a year now how great chemistry Laine and Ehlers have on the ice, you really don’t have a clue on this issue and you are completely fooled by their off the ice bromance. Sure they are cool Playstation buddies and all that, but just keep them separated on the ice, and both of them will keep piling up the goals. Just try to stay awake Mr. Moronice...

Last edited:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine is the #1 winger on this team and has to play more minutes than Wheeler.

There is no question which one is offensively more gifted and defensively Laine has been better too. Wheeler can drive a line in the 2nd. That's where he belongs in this depth chart.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Wheeler has been the best Jet of the year as a whole. Laine has probably been top 3 winger with inconsistent level of play.

Last three games Laine has played well and it shows in his ice time as well. He gets what he deserves. If he keeps playing good consistently his ice time will start being at the 18+ min range as well.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Honorable mention to that Laine half slapper that beat Rinne from 60 feet clean, but hit the bar. Don't sleep on that shot bro

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

There is no question which one is offensively more gifted and defensively Laine has been better too. Wheeler can drive a line in the 2nd. That's where he belongs in this depth chart.
If Laine plays like he did the last 3 games all the time, I'll agree with this statement. Laine needs to get better at handling the puck in his own zone before he starts going up against the oppositions best night in and night out, he's almost there.

I also think Wheeler should be on the 2nd line and Laine on the first, but not because Laine deserves it more than Wheeler.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Honorable mention to that Laine half slapper that beat Rinne from 60 feet clean, but hit the bar. Don't sleep on that shot bro
I honestly have never seen a player with the ability to beat an elite goalie clean from 60 feet out with a HALF clapper. The boy didn't even bother winding up all the way, geez. Probably didn't wanna kill a fellow Finn. If that was Lundqvist, Laine probs goes full golf swing :sarcasm:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If Laine plays like he did the last 3 games all the time, I'll agree with this statement. Laine needs to get better at handling the puck in his own zone before he starts going up against the oppositions best night in and night out, he's almost there.

I also think Wheeler should be on the 2nd line and Laine on the first, but not because Laine deserves it more than Wheeler.

Deserving doesn't matter. It's just a better line and it would make 2nd better too.

Don't waste the best playmaking center on guys who can hardly finish. Leaving too many goals on the bench.

Of course good results in last two games but nothing wrong with going for great results

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Deserving doesn't matter. It's just a better line and it would make 2nd better too.

Don't waste the best playmaking center on guys who can hardly finish. Leaving too many goals on the bench.

Of course good results in last two games but nothing wrong with going for great results

Not completely wrong, but they should keep ESW and CLL for now. Connor fits Little's play style better than Ehlers, which will lead to more chances for Laine as Connor is also really good on the forecheck. And we all know ESW works well. Hopefully PoMo doesn't revert again.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
I honestly have never seen a player with the ability to beat an elite goalie clean from 60 feet out with a HALF clapper. The boy didn't even bother winding up all the way, geez. Probably didn't wanna kill a fellow Finn. If that was Lundqvist, Laine probs goes full golf swing :sarcasm:
Sounds great! Is there a clip of this?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I missed the first period, was Connor and Ehlers switched from the get go? That was not a game to watch with an analytical eye, not that I'm a great hockey analyst even when I try... but to me it seemed their zone transitions were a lot better and the 2nd line looked generally more dangerous 5v5.

Still think Laine should play with Scheifele though, every time those two happen to be on ice together for a bit seems to lead in a high danger scoring chance for the Jets. They can really find each other on the ice. And to be honest Wheeler is starting to look like maybe he shouldn't be playing 22 minutes every night. Ofc even with Connor - Little - Laine that could help if that 2nd line finally starts working. Laine needs to play at least 16-17 min a game IMO, it really does show in his game and I think it's mostly more minutes -> better play, not the other way around.

On the other hand having Ehlers on the 1st line is great, he's been just as wasted on that 2nd line and looked worse for it - even worse for him since he doesn't get to play PP1. Glad to see him beast it a bit on the 1st line.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Not completely wrong, but they should keep ESW and CLL for now. Connor fits Little's play style better than Ehlers, which will lead to more chances for Laine as Connor is also really good on the forecheck. And we all know ESW works well. Hopefully PoMo doesn't revert again.

ES works well. What is Wheeler doing with his chances?

The most important thing is to get the best pair playing together and that is Chef-Laine. They were out together for about 10 seconds even strength and resulted in Laines first breakaway of the season.

Out of 10 chances Chef creates for Wheeler, he might finish 1. Laine you can expect to score 5 from those. Why waste that? I'll never understand.

Laine also vastly increases Chefs accuracy by creating better quality chances. Both would score more.

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

The most important thing is to get the best pair playing together and that is Chef-Laine. They were out together for about 10 seconds even strength and resulted in Laines first breakaway of the season.

Out of 10 chances Chef creates for Wheeler, he might finish 1. Laine you can expect to score 5 from those. Why waste that? I'll never understand.

Laine also vastly increases Chefs accuracy by creating better quality chances. Both would score more.
Ya Laine should have finished that breakaway and not relied on Taney heroics.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine should really improve his puck handling. Guy is wasting so many possessions because he doesn't know how to catch the pass properly. Also his dekes are pretty terrible most of time. Often they doesn't lead to anything. And by the way it will be E-L-L once again in next game. I know Maurice too well. 90% sure about this.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Most people won't mind if Laine is put on the Scheifele line but posts like these push people into extreme positions and plays a big role in turning threads like this (and the now locked Laine thread) toxic.

Wheeler is not better than Laine and there no shame in that. There are maybe 3-4 wingers in the entire NHL who can be said to be "better than Wheeler" and Laine is not there yet.

Got to NHL.com stats page. Click on the players button. Sort by points descending :popcorn:

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine should really improve his puck handling. Guy is wasting so many possessions because he doesn't know how to catch the pass properly. Also his dekes are pretty terrible most of time. Often they doesn't lead to anything. And by the way it will be E-L-L once again in next game. I know Maurice too well. 90% sure about this.

Please tell me more about the bolded. I'm listening. I guess you mean something like that:

Reactions: 278 others

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
answer me something...
would you rather see Laine play on the 1st line and the Jets not play as well?
serious question.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Wheeler has more assists than Laine has points.

Roles reversed and that's not the case at all and I f***ing guarantee Wheeler doesn't lead the team in goals and league in PP goals.

Laine is a better playmaker too no question about it. He would have more assists than Wheeler does now 5 on 5 if the roles were reversed. He'd also be knocking on 30 goals now.

Based on how Laine and Chef have produced before. Anyone with eyes can see the major difference in how much Laine can contribute with those 2 centers.

I'm still waiting for a rational argument for it. So far nothing.

But I guess we will never find out as long as Maurice runs this ship.

Reactions: Ippenator

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Most people won't mind if Laine is put on the Scheifele line but posts like these push people into extreme positions and plays a big role in turning threads like this (and the now locked Laine thread) toxic.

Wheeler is not better than Laine and there no shame in that. There are maybe 3-4 wingers in the entire NHL who can be said to be "better than Wheeler" and Laine is not there yet.

Got to NHL.com stats page. Click on the players button. Sort by points descending :popcorn:

Facts should not push people into anything but one position, the correct rational one. If people ignore facts and insert emotions and make their mind based on that feeling instead of cold facts, I don't have the time of day for them. They can get offended all they want but it doesn't change the fact that numbers suggest Laine and Chef should play together just as Wheeler and Little should.

No plea or argument for any sort of feelings based resistance to the idea is ever going to convince me that we should keep them apart.

As far as we know, they are the best pairs to make. Until we have seen them again and seen the results, we have to go by past data. It shows a very obvious answer to this.

I get that people are sensitive about teams captain who has been a long time contributor. I'm not saying he's not great, he really is at what he does. But he is not near the pedigree of offensive player Laine is. They are miles apart in skill. They are also miles apart in physique which Laine has to catch up. But I have no doubt he would very clearly outproduce Wheeler in first. And until I have shown otherwise I think Little needs Wheeler. Either that or he is injured/over the hill. Little is currently useless in 5 on 5 and that renders Laine quite useless in 5 on 5 unless he does some great individual effort like against Nashville

Last edited:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If we're to assume that Laine had more 5vs5 assists than Blake Wheeler this year and his assists on other situations stayed the same, Laine would have 17 assists on the year.

If on top of that he was pushing 30 goals, he would have ~45-47 points, or a 65-70 goal and 105-110 point pace.

Maybe if Scheifele is the reincarnation of prime Gretzky those numbers are believable.
I'm pretty certain that Laine has never touched that pace playing with Scheifele and I don't think his best 35 games he's produced as much as Wheeler has this year though. I don't think it matters if Wheeler had 50 points right now, you'd still argue that Laine would have more.

Reactions: libertarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad