Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Think about how truly blessed we are that while our #1C is out, we still are thriving offensively and have guys who can step in and we can use multiple different combos of lines... think about that for a second.

In a few years we probably won't have the same luxuries when all the young guns have their big extensions but for right now, enjoy this, as much as it sucks having Scheif out, that we can have a team that really steps up in his absence.

Reactions: ps241 and Guerzy

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
It's true, though.

As for the question: considering the circumstances, yes, I am quite content. The second line has been excellent, even better than the first line during this eleven-game stretch. The third line is yet another victim of injuries, but it has been at least respectable, and when Lowry comes back, it should stabilise the bottom six as a whole - that is what happened last time. The only major flaw is the top line, but it has to be remembered that it is far from optimal. Scheifele's return will help.

The question is, what will happen when Scheifele comes back, but that's a bridge we can cross when we come to it.
Surely you can't break up the current second line? They are playing too well together, even PoMo has to see that.

The most seamless thing to do when Scheifele comes back in my opinion is to shift Wheeler back to RW, Scheifele at center and put Laine on the left wing. Drop Connor to the 3rd line and Copp to a still very respectable 4th line.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Copp-Hendricks/Roslovic-Tanev

I really, really don't want to break up the second line. It's getting the best out of all 3 of those players, and we know that Scheifele and Wheeler are money, and Scheifele and Laine are money.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Surely you can't break up the current second line? They are playing too well together, even PoMo has to see that.

The most seamless thing to do when Scheifele comes back in my opinion is to shift Wheeler back to RW, Scheifele at center and put Laine on the left wing. Drop Connor to the 3rd line and Copp to a still very respectable 4th line.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia

I really, really don't want to break up the second line. It's getting the best out of all 3 of those players, and we know that Scheifele and Wheeler are money, and Scheifele and Laine are money.

Well, we DID see Laine on LW for a bit last night. Maybe Maurice is softening his position on this.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia

Who do you try and trade in the case of your lineup? Mathias or Dano? Do you just put them on waivers?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
PLE has been pretty effective as a line. I don't see that line being affected once we're healthy. The rest should be interesting :popcorn:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Who do you try and trade in the case of your lineup? Mathias or Dano? Do you just put them on waivers?
Dano stays in the PB with Matthias and Chiarot and Roslovic gets sent down was my first thought when fully healthy, but now I'm not so sure because Roslovic has done really well so far and we know PoMo likes him. Thing is, I don't think he takes away Tanevs spot as PoMo will want him for the PK. So it's between Roslovic and Hendricks. If Hendo, then Roslo is sent down. If Roslovic, things get interesting, but I'm guessing matthias is the least valuable to the organization.

My guess is, Roslovic gets sent down as he is the one that could still benefit from top minutes in the AHL. But if he takes this chance on the Wheeler line and runs with it like Connor did, well then.. :popcorn:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Think about how truly blessed we are that while our #1C is out, we still are thriving offensively and have guys who can step in and we can use multiple different combos of lines... think about that for a second.

In a few years we probably won't have the same luxuries when all the young guns have their big extensions but for right now, enjoy this, as much as it sucks having Scheif out, that we can have a team that really steps up in his absence.

This is so true. Nice to see you pop in and post. :)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia

Again I'm not sure about putting Wheels and Scheif on the same line, but if CLA clicks this would be a very delicious scenario. If not, we need to move Wheels somewhere else to fortify the roster. Scheif and Laine should be a given, there is no reason not to play those two together.

Little and Ehlers are playing their best hockey of the season right now so I'm with you being hesitant about touching that. Can't really move Wheeler to the third line either.

If Connor-Lowry-Armia works, we are in a dream situation. If not, it gets a little weird. In this case, I would probably touch the second line and go

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia

I think the key is to get as many functioning lines as possible to distribute the TOI properly. I thought it was foolish to get only one line going with crazy minutes and play them until they stopped producing almost completely.

As a Laine fan, I would LOVE to see Laine-Chef-Wheels, but as a Jets fan we need to make sure all the cogs are oiled up and functioning properly.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Can this work

Laine Schiefele Wheeler
Perrault Little Ehlers
Copp Lowry Tanev
Connor Roslovic Armia?

There is a massive drop-off in skill for the third line. Connor and Armia would be wasted on the fourth. We need to implement them into the top-9 somehow IMO.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
There is a massive drop-off in skill for the third line. Connor and Armia would be wasted on the fourth. We need to implement them into the top-9 somehow IMO.
For sure Armia is better on Lowry's left wing.

Jets need someone like Tanev. Plays like recking ball Tanev . Block shot like Tanev. Same energy as Tanev. Fast as Tanev.
BUT can pass like Nic Petan :)
Between Copp and Lowry thats 25-30 goals

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia

Yes, this would be my preference. Roslovic could replace Hendricks or Tanev. That would be a heck of a lineup, like contender-worthy.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Again I'm not sure about putting Wheels and Scheif on the same line, but if CLA clicks this would be a very delicious scenario. If not, we need to move Wheels somewhere else to fortify the roster. Scheif and Laine should be a given, there is no reason not to play those two together.

Little and Ehlers are playing their best hockey of the season right now so I'm with you being hesitant about touching that. Can't really move Wheeler to the third line either.

If Connor-Lowry-Armia works, we are in a dream situation. If not, it gets a little weird. In this case, I would probably touch the second line and go

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia

I think the key is to get as many functioning lines as possible to distribute the TOI properly. I thought it was foolish to get only one line going with crazy minutes and play them until they stopped producing almost completely.

As a Laine fan, I would LOVE to see Laine-Chef-Wheels, but as a Jets fan we need to make sure all the cogs are oiled up and functioning properly.

On the bold,
MP's the straw that stirs this drink - especially if you go back and look at these 2 before Matty was added.

I'd leave the 2nd line as is - no reason to mess with it. Wheeler plays very well with Scheif and Laine's will get his chance to play top minutes with our best - we'll see how that goes (hopefully well).

I like this (as someone posted earlier - see Festinator)

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Armia

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
For sure Armia is better on Lowry's left wing.

Jets need someone like Tanev. Plays like recking ball Tanev . Block shot like Tanev. Same energy as Tanev. Fast as Tanev.
BUT can pass like Nic Petan :)
Between Copp and Lowry thats 25-30 goals

Nasty Nic Petanev. That's yer man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->