Proposal: 1st-2nd line centre to St.louis

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Nice post here. Sums up my feelings well. I want to add a bit. Regarding previous injuries, it is not just the number of games missed but the type of injury sustained. Some injuries heal and they are done. Some injuries never fully heal. The player comes back and plays, but he can never get back to that same level. I am afraid the latter may be the case with Spezza's back.

He had a good season in '10-11, but got hurt the next year and missed most of the season. When he came back, his already spotty defense was worse. As Multimoodia said, he just showed no interest in it. This makes sense if his back hurt and he was saving his strength/pain tolerance for offense. A sore back can be degenerative, especially as you age. If his back is still bothering him, it is a serious concern, and a possible reason for Ottawa to trade him. This is something nobody is addressing. Why is Ottawa running this guy out of town if he is so great. They have good center depth, but that doesn't mean you toss a 70 point guy in the trash. There may be something they are hiding.

And especially one who'll just cost you $4 millon next year. That's pretty darn cheap for a high scoring center. Very strange that they'd want to trade him. Has Spezza asked for a trade? Maybe he want's a shot at the cup and don't think he'll get it with the Sens? Admittedly, I haven't follow this story closely, but it is a little weird.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And especially one who'll just cost you $4 millon next year. That's pretty darn cheap for a high scoring center. Very strange that they'd want to trade him. Has Spezza asked for a trade? Maybe he want's a shot at the cup and don't think he'll get it with the Sens? Admittedly, I haven't follow this story closely, but it is a little weird.

In his exit interview, Spezza told management he would be "open to a trade". That is not to say it is his preference, and is far from demanding one. When Martin St. Louis demanded a trade, I can see why Yzerman sent him to NY. This is not that case. Ottawa was already shopping him, or at least listening to offers at the deadline. Now, if the buzz is true, they are actively looking to trade him. My guess is Ottawa is the one that wants to move him, and he is not opposed to it. My question is why. Before the Blues pull the trigger, they better know the answer to that and be willing to live with it for the cost.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
In his exit interview, Spezza told management he would be "open to a trade". That is not to say it is his preference, and is far from demanding one. When Martin St. Louis demanded a trade, I can see why Yzerman sent him to NY. This is not that case. Ottawa was already shopping him, or at least listening to offers at the deadline. Now, if the buzz is true, they are actively looking to trade him. My guess is Ottawa is the one that wants to move him, and he is not opposed to it. My question is why. Before the Blues pull the trigger, they better know the answer to that and be willing to live with it for the cost.

Ottawa has, or at least had, an internal budget. I'd guess that they are very hesitant to give Spezza the type of extension that he is going to be looking for. Which is why if we are trading for him, we should get permission to speak with him before the deal and see if something can be worked out.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Gotcha. Why not re-sign Stoll?

I really hope we keep Berglund. I think he starts coming into his own in the next few years. He also seems to play well in tournaments, and we missed him in the Blackhawks series for 4 games and when he came in for 5 and 6 he wasn't 100%.

If the offer sheet were for 4 million or more, Armstrong might take the 1st and 3rd.

Our big weaknesses beyond Center, are we need a 2nd pairing LHD (not sure if Cole will ever step up and take that role), as well the lowest rated prospect pool of all 30 NHL teams according to HF (http://goo.gl/iuZuMX).

Stoll might be a cap causality this offseason and if he's not, we have a lot of young centers that can take his spot for much cheaper when he goes to UFA next offseason.

Our biggest weakness is also a LHD to partner with Doughty. So I guess the only way to get him would be an offer sheet but our GM hates offer sheets so that kills my hopes lol

Don't hold your breath...

If we could get a center - depending how we get it (mainly if we had to move a d-man) - I would probably like a guy like Jake Muzzin from LA if we traded Berglund.

If we can find some decent Vet Dman in free agency and our prospect Dman are ready. I could see a Muzzin for Berglund trade.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
So I was talking to somebody earlier this evening about what we should do in the offseason about our center we should grab. They brought up trading for Spezza, signing Stastny, and moving Backes to the wing. It'd shove Oshie or Steen to the third line, and I cap geeked it and it does work capwise with a good amount to spare.

Edit:
Thought up some lines and added Ott on the cheap and holy center depth

Steen-Spezza-Backes
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Jaskin-Sobotka/Berglund-Oshie
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves
Paajarvi, Porter

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not very realistic to get both and Backes is much more effective at center. When you have a Selke caliber center, you use him as a shutdown center. Signing Stastny and Spezza long-term will hurt us when Schwartz and Tarasenko get their big raises.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Not very realistic to get both and Backes is much more effective at center. When you have a Selke caliber center, you use him as a shutdown center. Signing Stastny and Spezza long-term will hurt us when Schwartz and Tarasenko get their big raises.

True, but you could also have him play center on defense to shelter Spezza's average D. He also only has one year left on his deal so we don't HAVE to extend him that long, especially seeing as we're locking up Stastny long term.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We can't afford both Stasny and Spezza. One is doable, but both would hurt us too much. It Schwartx and Tarasenko keep developing at their current pace, they are going to be making big money in the near future.

Felix

May 16, 2003
Lviv/Ukraine
Visit site
I also do not believe we'd go for both Spezza and Stastny because they'll eat to much of cap space already this year and for each next year unless our GM wants to averhaul our forward group completely (in such case one of Steen or Oshie will be definitely gone)

IMHO, due to the fact that we can'r be sure we get Stastny, I'd first of all go after Spezza (we have assets to do it).
Leafs are rumoured to be in Stastny pursuit. If they get him they deal Kadri - and I'd be very interested in him - young, great upside and cost controlled, probably we'll not have to give up much for him.
But I have a feeling that is we get two new C (which IMHO would be fantastic) we'll definitely send either Oshie or Steen out in one of the trades (assuming Backes, Tank and JS are our core along with Spezza and Kadri) due to financial reasons.

But in reality we'll also have to make our D nastier, tougher and bigger which makes all things complicated (some D can go in the trade fo F and vice versa) so we'll see

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How would Steen for Lewis be considered close to fair in any realm of this universe?

The same question could be asked of Berglund for Williams. Now my "proposal" was a bit hyperbolic, but Berglund for Williams is VERY bad for the Kings.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Berglund for Williams

Mr. Game 7 is not on the trade block for a Berglund type, only a top pairing LHD package which is what you guys are looking for.

Why would the Kings do that? I imagine they would counter with something like Steen for Trevor Lewis.

I know I'm not like most kings fan but I wouldn't counter it with Lewis for a good player even as a joke. Lewis is a throw in for a pick at most lol

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
For those of you wondering why Ottawa is giving Spezza up/shopping him, it's mainly because of this (as far as the fans know):

- We have a very strict internal budget (around 57 million for next year), and his contract is great for us next year but the owner likely wouldn't want to commit the term and salary Spezza would ask for, so we want to get assets now. The reason he wouldn't be able to commit it is that we have a lot of UFA's that are important coming up in 2015. Spezza, Ryan, MacArthur, Methot, Anderson, etc.
- Apparently coach and player don't get along all that well, but these are just rumours and there's no evidence to support it (like ice time or verbal comments)
- Our stupid owner kind of crapped on Spezza in his end-of-the year interview saying that the leadership was the problem this year which really was the last of our problems and the other players said Spezza was real good. Our problems would probably be around, hm, defence, goaltending, defence and ya :)

In case you guys were worried about how Spezza would adapt to the Western Conference, here's a few stats (I did them myself, might be slight human error);

Eastern Conference:

Vs. PLayoff teams:

GP: 28, Goals: 7, Assists: 18, Points: 25, +/-: -5

vs. Non-playoff teams:

GP: 21, Goals: 8, Assists: 9, Points: 17, +/-: -8

Western Conference:
vs. Playoff teams:
GP: 15, Goals: 3, Assists: 8, Points: 11, +/-: -11

vs. Non-playoff teams:
GP: 11, Goals: 5, Assists: 8, Points: 13, +/-: 0

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's similar to how we lost Pronger, it truly does suck being a fan at a time like that.

I wish Pronger's name was censored on our board. His name draws up far more emotion from me than any other word in the English language. I hate reading it. That was such as miserable day as a Blues fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad