GDT: 18 years and counting (Carolina @ Vancouver)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
All I can say is that I'm officially aboard the Mike Vellucci train at this point. Why not?

I think the organization needs to go after an established NHL HC this time.

Darryl Sutter is available, but he might be out of the organization's price range. Michel Therrien would be interesting. He likely wouldn't have staying power, but a temporary kick in the pants wouldn't be a bad thing. Perhaps a more conservative system would suit this team better.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Darryl Sutter is available, but he might be out of the organization's price range. Michel Therrien would be interesting. He likely wouldn't have staying power, but a temporary kick in the pants wouldn't be a bad thing. Perhaps a more conservative system would suit this team better.

Sutter won a cup with a defensive minded team. If we are going new coach he's my number 1 target.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
on the 2nd page i was lead to believe that this game would be a cakewalk because vancouver just had an emotional road trip and they are not good

so now that our team got shutout by them an dlooked horrific while doing so, i am sad and feel like i was lied to by someone trying to have an easy out just in case their team did not play well

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
It's so sad to watch them work so hard and play with energy and then you realize they're just cycling the puck around the perimeter. It's also sad that the Florida game was a good game, yet it was really a 3-2 ot win against one of the worst teams in the conference

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not giving up on him, simply pointing out that of our two goaltenders, one has looked better overall and has had the team perform better in front of him on the whole.

Sample size: the 5 last games.

[plz ignore the last half decade of sucking ass]

"The Hurricanes are shortsighted for not increasing Cam Ward's work load after 5 games in which he did not suck ass, despite the last half decade of sucking major ass."

. "Shortsighted"? Not in the least.

Not to say Darling was good tonight. He got outplayed by Markstrom, that was the difference in this game.

EDIT: Well that and our forwards.

Michel Therrien would be interesting.

Dear God no. He is a major d-bag, and not in the "I'm trying to motivate you guys by getting you to focus on my tenor/energy rather than the literal content of what I'm saying, you stupid motherf***er NOW GO GETTIM", but in the "I am legitimately a d-bag" kind of way.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Peters is a good coach. Maybe not NHL head coach material. Seems to be a great guy to teach the fundamentals, but in the other areas required to be a good coach he seems to be lacking or merely average. He is probably a great assistant coach. I'm also starting to think the players are tuning him out, but I think that's understandable since they're young and not getting results after playing his system for so long now.

Who knows, maybe if we stick with him like the Jets did Maurice we'll make the playoffs at some point?

A big part of this is obviously on Ron Francis and his inability to bring in a competent starting goaltender and another legit top 6 forward. We had/have the prospects to get it done.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I watched this game and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you guys to dominate in Corsi night after night and still not score enough goals. This was only my 4th Canes game of the season and even I was frustrated with them not converting any of those chances lol

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I watched this game and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you guys to dominate in Corsi night after night and still not score enough goals. This was only my 4th Canes game of the season and even I was frustrated with them not converting any of those chances lol

You mean zero goals isn't enough? LOL

IMO this team is frustrated because for the most part, they do everything according to the system and work hard, but it's not translating to wins. And that's when a coach starts to lose the team. I don't think Bill P is a bad coach, but he inspires no one.

I think back to the core of the team that succeeeded under Maurice, and then Laviolette comes in and suddenly they had a freewheeling, attacking element added on to the tendencies they retained from playing under Maurice, so you had a good mix of offensive and defensive tendencies going. The same happened after Laviolette was fired and Maurice took over, suddenly concentrating on structure and system based play gave them a fundamental place to play from and they still had the offensive mindset to know when to break out of it.

Making a change to an offensive-minded coach who puts creativity and flow at a premium could do a world of good for this team in the short-term, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00