GDT: 18 years and counting (Carolina @ Vancouver)

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Just glaze over this, I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm grumpy and sick of being sick and tired of this team.

It's frustrating to read the post game comments by Peters and the players. They know the problems, and it's the same issues we talk about in every damn GDT. Yet, with every loss like the one last night, they don't improve. Peters is certainly not without fault, but if your players (as a group) don't and/or can't execute the way they know they're supposed to, will a different coach be the answer? Serious question. It's Peters job to get them prepared with a system, and enforce that system in practice. If he's not doing that well enough, then that's on him. Maybe that's the case, but he typically seems happy with what he sees in practice, yet we get to the big show, and they just fall apart after 20 minutes. Granted not every game, but a lot games.

Maybe this group isn't built for his system, and a different coach with a better vision could get it done. However, they literally ripped a hole in the space time continuum with how ****ty they played in the 2nd period last night, and they know it! They say in the post game. Yet, they'll do it again a game or 2 later. It's maddening, but then I look at the roster and I'm not seeing a lot of winners. A few have Stanley cups but that includes washed up Ward, and Williams. How do you coach a winning mentality? To fight until there's nothing left in the tank? Maybe a different coach could bring that essence. Peters certainly doesn't seem overly motivational, but you'd hope at some point the players sort of figure out that you can't stop forechecking aggressively just because you did it for 20 minutes in the first period. You have to do it the entire game chaps. As one example.

I guess this rant means nothing more than I'm as dumbfounded as anyone as to why we're in this perpetual bubble, and maybe it's the coach but maybe things won't change until we're spending closer to the cap, and icing players that know how to win. We need winners on the ice, and this group of weiners aren't getting it done.

There definitely seems to be a motivational issue. And while you think motivation should be something that you don't need to do for professional athletes, it's one of the things that coaches & leaders are tasked with.

So you ask if a new coach would change things? At a minimum, I think a new voice and new message could be better motivation. Or it could continue to fall on deaf ears.

So for me, the fundamental question is more whether the system is the right one for the team, and in particular the youth who are developing and will be with the franchise long-term. If they are better served by a different style or system, then it's time for a change.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Hurricanes are 7th in high danger corsi for and 25th in high danger shooting %. I personally don't think its the system, i think it's a lack of finish. How many times is it JStaal right in front of the net only to put the puck directly into the goalies chest.

With that said, a new coach may be what needs to happen to spark, anything.

We come out of a slugfest, while against the panthers, that one would think would bring the team together but then lay a dud. I don't know what the answer is but somethings got to change.

edit: and I'm sick of playing the darling apologist but I constantly feel like he just gets hosed.

First goal, fleury lets guy cut into the middle of the ice which gives the shooter literally all 5 holes to choose from. It was a high danger shooting chance

Second Goal, Pesce and Slavin leave a man untouched sitting directly in front of darling which allows the guy to redirect the puck. (I feel like this is becoming a problem)

Third Goal,, well I went to bed.

Then again I could just be searching for an answer to grab onto hope.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
There definitely seems to be a motivational issue. And while you think motivation should be something that you don't need to do for professional athletes, it's one of the things that coaches & leaders are tasked with.

So you ask if a new coach would change things? At a minimum, I think a new voice and new message could be better motivation. Or it could continue to fall on deaf ears.

So for me, the fundamental question is more whether the system is the right one for the team, and in particular the youth who are developing and will be with the franchise long-term. If they are better served by a different style or system, then it's time for a change.

Honestly, at this point I would welcome a new coach. Anything to spark some sort of consistency. Win 1/Lose 1 is about as stupid as it gets.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
What if the players can't execute Peters' system the way he wants, because Peters' system is stupid? Is there any evidence that it's a good system? Is it suspicious that nobody else in the NHL seems to be attempting what Peters is?

It turned Eric Staal into a 40 point player. Faulk looks like a marginal #6 Is Victor Rask even in the lineup. TT only scores against 4 teams. The Dmen are suppressing shots pretty well when they aren't giving up breakaways all the time.

Time to make a move to try and salvage the season, or at least move on from the failed experiment.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
my only regret is expecting anything different

27096068079_b2390f1f86_b.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Glad I didn't stay up past the 1st period for this one. Same old, same old.

Last year at this time vs. this year at this time:

12/6/16: 10-10-5; 6 points out of the last playoff spot, -7 Goal Difference
12/6/17: 11-10-5; 6 points out of a the last playoff spot, -8 Goal Difference

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I think the goal diff is out of portion with the 2-1 games we had that ended 5-1. So it’s more like -2 diff

Reactions: Breakdowns

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

So this team is the hobgoblin of little minds.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Second Goal, Pesce and Slavin leave a man untouched sitting directly in front of darling which allows the guy to redirect the puck. (I feel like this is becoming a problem)

They left 2 with plenty of "white space", and this seems to be a repetitive issue. It would be a festivus miracle if we could even get one guy in front of the net on a consistent basis, or at all.

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
If only we had an owner who cared about winning rather than selling the team. Everything seems in limbo as a result until the trigger is pulled and the on ice product is suffering. I can’t imagine any other team putting up with this crap and doing absolutely NOTHING about it

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
When i listen to the interviews after these type of games from some of our homegrown guys, or guys who have been with the team a while. Their answers to the questions just strike me as being ok with losing. I always hear the standard "We played a good first period, and we got shots on goal. Just didn't get the bounces we needed" that's after a 5-1 loss.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
What if the players can't execute Peters' system the way he wants, because Peters' system is stupid? Is there any evidence that it's a good system? Is it suspicious that nobody else in the NHL seems to be attempting what Peters is?

It turned Eric Staal into a 40 point player. Faulk looks like a marginal #6 Is Victor Rask even in the lineup. TT only scores against 4 teams. The Dmen are suppressing shots pretty well when they aren't giving up breakaways all the time.

Time to make a move to try and salvage the season, or at least move on from the failed experiment.
The Staal point is a fair one though I think it had more to do with his motivation than the system. He has thrived in Boudreau's system but it's a wide open offensive scheme so hard not to like it. But there's nothing wholly unique about Peters' system to the rest of the NHL.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
One issue with Peters, and it's not completely his fault, is his selection of captains. In no way does Faulk deserve to wear a C. I don't know how he could strip him of it halfway through a season.
Williams was such an obvious choice. Unlike some, I'm not overly concerned with the line juggling but I don't like his line combinations even if he is trying to set up favorable match-ups. This is especially true in his OT combos.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I just don’t see a different coach making any sort of difference (other than to possibly exacerbate the situation and thereby making us worse). We lead the league in shots, we dominate possession, we limit shots against. We are doing everything from a “system standpoint” that should make us a winner. What we are missing is goals... Peters can do a lot, but putting the ****ing puck in the net is NOT something he can will from the bench.

We need more talent. Sadly, we are still a year or two away.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think Peters system is fine, it’s not revolutionary in any way. It’s actually evolved into something where they take more risks now than they did in prior years to generate offense. And what does that mean when your only center with a modicum of ability is Jordan Staal? Scotty Bowman couldn’t coach a team with the trash they have down the middle to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad