GDT: #18 New Jersey Devils at Calgary Flames: Lion King Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm a little concerned this is the 2nd or 3rd recent game where the Devils skates seemed to slip out from them much more than their opponents.

Maybe I should tweet the equipment guy. Jk

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Schneider does a great job and is among the better goalies in the league, which goes without saying.

However a fair number of the goals he does let in do tend to be pretty soft.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I am also noticing that this style of play takes some offense away from the D. Of the 46 goals the team has scored, 6 come from the D. Give Gelly a game or two!

You're right about Merrill's confidence. It's shot.

Why do I feel Hynes has no trust in Gellinas. Seems like he's getting the Larsson treatment. I know they're different players, but that's how I feel. That's why I think they should see what we have in Vojtech Mozik. He's a plus 9 in Albany and played pro hockey in his home country.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Why do I feel Hynes has no trust in Gellinas. Seems like he's getting the Larsson treatment. I know they're different players, but that's how I feel. That's why I think they should see what we have in Vojtech Mozik. He's a plus 9 in Albany and played pro hockey in his home country.

If they get rid of Gelinas at any point, it'll likely be to see what they have in guys like Burlon, Scarlett, Mozik, Hrabrenka, etc. throughout the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use that 7D spot as a rotating tryout.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Merrill has been an abomination the past little bit

would rather have Gelinas in there. at least if he is an abomination defensively, he can contribute on offense

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
That was line decent tonight, all three of them, but they have to get back to converting those good chances they keep generating. I should say its critical for them to start converting if this team is going to survive their current standings location.

A few missed plays but they did generate a few rushes. One play i liked was that KPalms had a guy tied up in the defensive zone high and Kalinin spotted the opportunity and stripped the puck from the scrum and had a break down ice. The problem was i think the guys had already trailed off and 3rd line came on by the time he was in the offensive zone. 3rd line guys cycled and the play died.

The thing is, that line was never converting, at least not at even strength. Zajac only has 3 points so far this season that weren't scored up a man or down a man. Only 6 of Palmieri's 14 points have come at 5v5.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Because he has three goals that were basically flukes?

I wouldn't call them flukes.

Top shelf vs NYb.
A skilled play to take the puck around the net and flip it over the goalie.
Going to the net and whacking in a rebound.

He's been much better this far than anyone could have imagined.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Because he has three goals that were basically flukes?

I wouldn't attribute too many goals to being flukes. There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time and making things happen. Some guys just don't have this ability (like Josefson). Part of what makes Crosby so great is his positioning and ability to get to areas where he gets the bounces.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't attribute too many goals to being flukes. There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time and making things happen. Some guys just don't have this ability (like Josefson). Part of what makes Crosby so great is his positioning and ability to get to areas where he gets the bounces.

Not anymore. :sarcasm:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Mozik, from what I've seen, does not look ready for this league. I thought Burlon looked much better in every aspect of the game than Mozik.

Gelinas was a disaster before Merrill replaced him both offensively and defensively. I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be over Merrill. That said I wouldn't mind him getting a few more games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schneider does a great job and is among the better goalies in the league, which goes without saying.

However a fair number of the goals he does let in do tend to be pretty soft.

I wouldn't say this year he's let in too many bad ones. The one against Philadelphia was pretty bad. I'm sure there's been a handful this year, maybe 6 and two of them were last night. Short handed one against NYI was pretty bad and maybe one of the ones on opening night.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Mozik, from what I've seen, does not look ready for this league. I thought Burlon looked much better in every aspect of the game than Mozik.

Gelinas was a disaster before Merrill replaced him both offensively and defensively. I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be over Merrill. That said I wouldn't mind him getting a few more games.

How has Merrill, he of 0 points and the worst on-ice SOG/60 of all our defensemen so far this season, replaced anyone offensively?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Merrill has been an abomination the past little bit

would rather have Gelinas in there. at least if he is an abomination defensively, he can contribute on offense

Me too. The coaching staff just seems to have out for the kid. I guess they read this board, because most of the fans here have it out for him. Big difference Gelly making a mistake compared to any other defensemen on this team. They have the kid playing scared now and that's not a good thing for him or the team.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Me too. The coaching staff just seems to have out for the kid. I guess they read this board, because most of the fans here have it out for him. Big difference Gelly making a mistake compared to any other defensemen on this team. They have the kid playing scared now and that's not a good thing for him or the team.
Oh please, he's been given multiple opportunities to become a regular and yet still does the same stupid **** that gets him back out of the lineup. Playing scared my ass. More like playing stupid, which seems to be a regular occurrence for him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's forget for a moment about Gelinas's defensive foibles...what exactly has he done OFFENSIVELY since 2013-14? Six goals and 19 points in 61 games last year isn't really that great considering all the PP time he gets, neither is one goal and three points in ten games this year. That's not the guy you shoehorn into the lineup despite being bad defensively. He would have to BE as good as Bergeron or Foster offensively to justify a lineup spot.

Merrill's play under the new staff is a concern but I'd still take him 10 times out of 10 over Gelinas. Really though they're both bad right now, it's just the lesser of two OMG run and hide options.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Let's forget for a moment about Gelinas's defensive foibles...what exactly has he done OFFENSIVELY since 2013-14? Six goals and 19 points in 61 games last year isn't really that great considering all the PP time he gets, neither is one goal and three points in ten games this year. That's not the guy you shoehorn into the lineup despite being bad defensively. He would have to BE as good as Bergeron or Foster offensively to justify a lineup spot.

Merrill's play under the new staff is a concern but I'd still take him 10 times out of 10 over Gelinas. Really though they're both bad right now, it's just the lesser of two OMG run and hide options.

You're very wrong on the PP point.

Devils score at an incredible rate when he's on the ice for the PP. His shot is a weapon on the PP even if he's not using it.

Not saying I want him in there over the other defenders we have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You're very wrong on the PP point.

Devils score at an incredible rate when he's on the ice for the PP. His shot is a weapon on the PP even if he's not using it.

Not saying I want him in there over the other defenders we have.

He helps the PP no doubt compared to the other options on the roster, I'm just saying his overall numbers really aren't that great considering all the time he spends on the PP and his rep for being this dynamo offensive d-man. He hasn't really been that since his rookie season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad