Post-Game Talk: #18| FLYERS 0 at Wild 3 | Tue. Nov. 14, 8:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Again, this year was a transition year. The help is coming. We didn't expect Sanheim, Patrick, and Hagg to step in and make this team a contender right away. It's important to remember this after losses. Let's get Patrick back first, which hope provides some stability so Lehtera doesn't have to play in the middle six, and see where we are. It's not like we're buried in the standings. 2 points out of the Wild Card.
yup.

Leier is a rookie
Patrick is a rookie
Laughton just got promoted again
Weal is in his 1st full season
Konecny is in his 2nd season
Hagg is a rookie
Sanheim is a rookie
Provy in his 2nd season

I too want more youth in Morin and Lindblom being recalled but that is still 5 forwards and 3 Dmen with little experience.

Plus we dressed Alt dress for 4 games and O'Neil for 1. Morin would have got his chance if not injured.

Then add in that we have played 14 out of 18 games against teams that were playoff teams last year.

Honestly, their record is about what I expected at this point. But for sure how they got that record was not what I thought. I never expected the top line to score as much as they have, and expected more from other lines.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree replacing Weise and Lehtera with young guys with no experience won’t help enough. The fact that this team has only those options speaks to the incompetence of the upper management.

It’s why you don’t trade Schenn. It’s why you’re not afraid to use younger players before they are 4 and 5 years removed from their draft year.

Provorov, Konecny, Patrick, Laughton, and Sanheim played in the NHL at age 19, 19, 19, 20 and 21 years old. And Laughton was the only one who didn't start the year with the team. He was called up when there was an injury scare to Giroux, but then Giroux ended up not missing any games and Laughton remained in the NHL until he got injured. Blair Jones was the player they waived to make room for Laughton.

Scott Laughton, praised by AHL coach, recalled by Flyers due to Claude Giroux injury

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
According to Hockey Reference, we have had the 12th most difficult schedule so far.

2017-18 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com
well...tied for 11th.

But look at it closely:
Top 3 teams separated by .02
.04 gap
Next 9 teams separated by .03....we are in this group
.05 gap

So we are clearly in the top group of teams with the hardest schedule. And we have mostly played against the West teams. So if we play half decent against the East, we can quickly make up points.

In the end, how we play against our division will determine where we end up. I still think we will be a playoff tweener most of the time between now and the deadline.

I just want to be entertained as we have become boring to watch again. The quick skating, short, crisp passes that we started the season with seem like a distant past.

And we can blame our shit players but our PP is not scoring either right now. The scary thing is last year this kind of funk lasted 2 months.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Where would Schenn play? Center. Who would be his wingers?
We saw Schenn play center, without top wingers he's at best Filppula at ES.
A 30 point ES center with mediocre defense.

Yeah, I really don't miss him. I don't like the alternatives we are left with this year either, but he was never going to be the answer to any important questions with us. Maybe I shouldn't have resigned myself to punting this season, but I did, a long time ago. I'm still going to cry and moan and complain the whole time, but I have my sights set firmly on the horizon.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Part of the problem is playing the Wild, it's like the Devils redux.
Worst matchup for this team, because they don't allow you to make those passes, and we're too soft to take it to the net.

The 4th line is weird, they should have 3-5 goals just on luck.
Weal, Filppula, Simmonds should be able to create some offense.
Patrick, Konency will settle down at some point and produce.
So the bottom 9 should eventually start scoring goals, not in a stream, but at least a steady trickle.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Where would Schenn play? Center. Who would be his wingers?
We saw Schenn play center, without top wingers he's at best Filppula at ES.
A 30 point ES center with mediocre defense.
Come on dead....if Lindblom was going to be sent to the AHL anyways:

Giroux Couts Voracek
Schenn Patrick Konecny
Weal Flip Simmonds
Raffl Laughton Leier

But I do hope the plan is to re-call Lindblom to get him minutes. Keeping Schenn makes us better, but Hextall chose to instead try and get better in the future.

Reactions: kelmitchell

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think you're downplaying the damage that Hakstol can do to these prospects. That's all most of these guys are at this point until they are proven succesful NHLers, and the Flyers wouldn't be the first organization to ruin promising prospects through incredible ineptitude (see Oilers; Edmonton).

The way I see it, the Flyers will only be a better team 2 years from now if Hakstol (along with Lappy and Murphy) is fired, replaced with a competent coaching staff, and Hextall abandons his philosophy of being okay with playing trash veterans.
The Flyers will be a better team in two years no matter who the coach is. The sky isn't falling, we are as a team where most posters here thought they'd be....around .500 by Thanksgiving. I dont think Hakstol survives the offseason unless we make the playoffs which would require a great second half of the season. I think all of the spotlight on Hakstol is somewhat misplaced (I'm no Hakstol fanboy) and really should be more on Hextall until we have contending talent in place. Transitions to contender status is tough and i personally dont think our squad is currently talented enough. I will focus more on the coaching (whoever that may be) when i think we have contending talent (hopefully in two yrs) where to beat other contenders in a 7-game series coaching/strategy matters more.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Giroux Couts Voracek
Schenn Patrick Konecny
Weal Flip Simmonds
Raffl Laughton Leier

But I do hope the plan is to re-call Lindblom to get him minutes. Keeping Schenn makes us better, but Hextall chose to instead try and get better in the future.
We never really came up with a good rationale for the Schenn trade. Trading a young 25 goal scorer for two late firsts that probably won't be as good as Schenn doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe there was something behind the scenes. Maybe they were very high on Lindblom and felt he and Patrick could step right in and produce. When they got here in Sept. I bet they were surprised they weren't quite ready mentally or in shape or who knows what but Lindblom got sent down and Patrick got hurt but looked to me that he wasn't quite 100% physically. All that being said Patrick hopefully will play in Winnipeg and Lindblom will be here soon enough and both hopefully will be along with TK foundation forwards for our future cup runs.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We never really came up with a good rationale for the Schenn trade. Trading a young 25 goal scorer for two late firsts that probably won't be as good as Schenn doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe there was something behind the scenes. Maybe they were very high on Lindblom and felt he and Patrick could step right in and produce. When they got here in Sept. I bet they were surprised they weren't quite ready mentally or in shape or who knows what but Lindblom got sent down and Patrick got hurt but looked to me that he wasn't quite 100% physically. All that being said Patrick hopefully will play in Winnipeg and Lindblom will be here soon enough and both hopefully will be along with TK foundation forwards for our future cup runs.
I believe they hoped Lindblom would step into his spot, plus they obviously liked Frost, and he(Hextall) is more concerned with 2 years from now.

That's when the young D will all be up.
That's when the big swarm of forwards will be in the AHL
That's when our young goalies will have AHL experience
That's when both our present goalies contracts are up
That's when every bad contract is gone but Weise and AMac(who they don't judge as bad)
That's when the decision on Simmonds will be made
That's when Hakstol as coach is gone or re-signed

I hate losing. But if Hextall REALLY was 100% concerned with icing the best team THIS YEAR, he never moves Schenn. So I accepted that the future is still more important than now.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
yup.

Leier is a rookie
Patrick is a rookie
Laughton just got promoted again
Weal is in his 1st full season
Konecny is in his 2nd season
Hagg is a rookie
Sanheim is a rookie
Provy in his 2nd season

I too want more youth in Morin and Lindblom being recalled but that is still 5 forwards and 3 Dmen with little experience.

Plus we dressed Alt dress for 4 games and O'Neil for 1. Morin would have got his chance if not injured.

Then add in that we have played 14 out of 18 games against teams that were playoff teams last year.

Honestly, their record is about what I expected at this point. But for sure how they got that record was not what I thought. I never expected the top line to score as much as they have, and expected more from other lines.
I don't care if they win a game knowing young players are coming up but its how flat and low skilled and boring it is to watch. Who pays money to watch that shit?

Reactions: Tripod

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I believe they hoped Lindblom would step into his spot, plus they obviously liked Frost, and he(Hextall) is more concerned with 2 years from now.

That's when the young D will all be up.
That's when the big swarm of forwards will be in the AHL
That's when our young goalies will have AHL experience
That's when both our present goalies contracts are up
That's when every bad contract is gone but Weise and AMac(who they don't judge as bad)
That's when the decision on Simmonds will be made
That's when Hakstol as coach is gone or re-signed

I hate losing. But if Hextall REALLY was 100% concerned with icing the best team THIS YEAR, he never moves Schenn. So I accepted that the future is still more important than now.
he should be for the young kids sake. They all play dead. Even Konecny used to take runs at players now he's dead and shoots high and wide on the rush LOL. Whole team looks like shit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just another week or so, and we finally (finally!) could be looking at a fully healthy defense corps:

Provorov-MacDonald
Ghost-Hagg
Sanheim/Manning-Gudas

Go back to what worked: check.
Long-term sustainability: check.
Fix the 5v5 offensive woes: check.
Save Christmas: check.

Reactions: Foggy14

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Giroux Couts Voracek
Schenn Patrick Konecny
Weal Flip Simmonds
Raffl Laughton Leier

We tried Schenn at LW, didn't look good.
We tried Schenn at C, meh
We tried Schenn at RW, like every other RW, looked good with Couts, but so did Weise!

Hextall looked at Schenn, saw his best spot was RW, but he also saw Voracek, Simmonds and Konency.
Got an offer he wanted, pulled the trigger.

Lindblom will be a better LW than Schenn by April, he's a legitimate two way player, Schenn liked to hit and shoot, but not much else.
Patrick at center is bigger than Schenn and a much better playmaker (that is, easier to build a line around) than Schenn.
So short-term pain for medium term gain.

I saw the Flyers like the Sixers, .500 ball through December, then things jell and both teams take off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad