'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
Yeah, forgot to mention that too. Engelland and Russell will be the third pairing.

I really think they give Russell the 2nd pairing because of the promise he showed last year. I fully expect the flames to roll 2nd and 3rd pairings out evenly with Gio and TJ taking on most of the workload. with Wideman being on the PP with his booming shot and Russell on PK with his kevlar skate covers getting abused

I suppose they should show some faith in Engelland and put him in th3 5/6 roll, since they did give him like 3 X 3 on July 1st but I like Diaz and his versatility and how he can lay huge hits, camp is going to be competitive and I really hope the lineup is based on merit, work ethic and not contract

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Glencross - Stajan - hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Seto
Raymond - Monahan - Colbourne
Bollig - Bouma - Jones/Byron
Byron/Jones

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Diaz/Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

dont know where mcgrattan fits can you carry him and byron?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Glencross - Stajan - hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Seto
Raymond - Monahan - Colbourne
Bollig - Bouma - Jones/Byron
Byron/Jones

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Diaz/Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

dont know where mcgrattan fits can you carry him and byron?

No. Frankly, I don't think I could even carry Gaudreau, though. :sarcasm:

You are allowed to have 23 guys on your roster, so yeah, you could sit Grats, Byron and Diaz all in the pressbox.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We have too many forwards to make a lineup. Let's wait until Wideman hits one in the foot with a slapshot before making too many predictions.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I really think they give Russell the 2nd pairing because of the promise he showed last year. I fully expect the flames to roll 2nd and 3rd pairings out evenly with Gio and TJ taking on most of the workload. with Wideman being on the PP with his booming shot and Russell on PK with his kevlar skate covers getting abused

I suppose they should show some faith in Engelland and put him in th3 5/6 roll, since they did give him like 3 X 3 on July 1st but I like Diaz and his versatility and how he can lay huge hits, camp is going to be competitive and I really hope the lineup is based on merit, work ethic and not contract

it will be Diaz vs Russell.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Assuming Backlund can possibly be out longer than anticipated (could be about another month), what are your lines without him?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Assuming Backlund can possibly be out longer than anticipated (could be about another month), what are your lines without him?

If he is still out at the start of the season, I'd just put Stajan or Monahan into his spot and give Bennett his 9 games on the third line.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If he is still out at the start of the season, I'd just put Stajan or Monahan into his spot and give Bennett his 9 games on the third line.

Either him or Reinhart/Granlund would make me happy too. I think from what I have seen thus far, I would have Reinhart. Or, you can always put Colborne as the 3rd C and have Baertschi playing the LW.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Raymond - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Baertschi - Colborne - Setoguchi
Bouma - Byron - McGrattan
Bollig

Just a few tweaks... Jones sucks.

2nd line: Glencross - Stajan - Byron
4th line: Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan

Aug 3, 2010
it will be Diaz vs Russell.

What has Diaz shown that Russell hasn't for you to compare this way? Russell may never be more than a bottom-3 defender but he's definitely earned his contract extension here in that time.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd be fine with that too. I'd like to give Jones another shot before burying him sending him to the depths of hell.

I really hope he turns out as an alright 3rd line RW. He has the size and everything, but from what I've heard from training camp and the preseason game at the Oilers, he hasn't improved. Byron and Bollig deserve the roster spot before him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lots of options, Stajan and Mony are in the top 6. Colborne, Reinhart, Granlund, Arnold, Bouma, Knight and as AS said, Bennett could get his 9 game audition.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
At this point in training camp this is what I want the lineup to be on opening night:
Glencross,Stajan,Raymond
Gaudreu,Monohan,Hudler
Colborne,Backlund,Setoguchi
Ferland/Byron,Bouma,Jones
* sub in Mcgratten, Bollig for the tough games

(If backlund is injured to start the season my 3rd line would be Baertchi,Colborne,Setoguchi)

Giordano,Brodie
Smid,Wideman
Russel,Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

Aug 3, 2010
At this point in training camp this is what I want the lineup to be on opening night:
Glencross,Stajan,Raymond
Gaudreu,Monohan,Hudler
Colborne,Backlund,Setoguchi
Ferland/Byron,Bouma,Jones
* sub in Mcgratten, Bollig for the tough games

(If backlund is injured to start the season my 3rd line would be Baertchi,Colborne,Setoguchi)

Giordano,Brodie
Smid,Wideman
Russel,Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

^ You really feel like Ferland will make it over Baertschi or Reinhart??

Bit of a headscratcher there. Byron has more experience than either Ferland/Baertschi/Reinhart combined but he needs to play with 100% effort and Reinhart/Baertschi have equal or better skillsets, as well as bigger bodies. If anything it'll be Baertschi/Byron or Baertschi/Reinhart.

Healthy opening night lines for me are:

1) Hudler - Backlund - Glencross
2A) Colborne - Monahan - Raymond
2B) Jones - Stajan - Setoguchi
4) Reinhart/Byron - Bouma - Wolf/McGrattan

Keeps the Colborne-Monahan chemistry intact, gives Backlund some grit and playmaking up front, Stajan can solidly anchor the third line defensively and provide some secondary scoring, and nice crash and bang fourth line options in Wolf and Reinhart.

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Engelland/Russell
Russell/Engelland - Smid

Pretty self-explanatory. Wish the defense was a little more mobile but it is what it is. Not feeling the play of Brookbank or Diaz, really, so not listed as extras.

Ramo
Hiller

Ramo gets the nod due to UFA 'show me' status and Hiller will platoon goaltending duties with 35-45 games each depending on performance/injuries.

Not including Gaudreau / Bennett because I feel like they will be with Adirondack/Kingston at some point regardless of their main camp stint. Trying to keep it to players we'll see regularly from November - April+.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
^ You really feel like Ferland will make it over Baertschi or Reinhart??

Bit of a headscratcher there. Byron has more experience than either Ferland/Baertschi/Reinhart combined but he needs to play with 100% effort and Reinhart/Baertschi have equal or better skillsets, as well as bigger bodies. If anything it'll be Baertschi/Byron or Baertschi/Reinhart.

Healthy opening night lines for me are:

1) Hudler - Backlund - Glencross
2A) Colborne - Monahan - Raymond
2B) Jones - Stajan - Setoguchi
4) Reinhart/Byron - Bouma - Wolf/McGrattan

Keeps the Colborne-Monahan chemistry intact, gives Backlund some grit and playmaking up front, Stajan can solidly anchor the third line defensively and provide some secondary scoring, and nice crash and bang fourth line options in Wolf and Reinhart.

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Engelland/Russell
Russell/Engelland - Smid

Pretty self-explanatory. Wish the defense was a little more mobile but it is what it is. Not feeling the play of Brookbank or Diaz, really, so not listed as extras.

Ramo
Hiller

Ramo gets the nod due to UFA 'show me' status and Hiller will platoon goaltending duties with 35-45 games each depending on performance/injuries.

Not including Gaudreau / Bennett because I feel like they will be with Adirondack/Kingston at some point regardless of their main camp stint. Trying to keep it to players we'll see regularly from November - April+.

A couple things. Seto & Jones are both RW and will not be playing together on the same line. Wolf is LW. Glencross is LW. Engelland and Wideman are both RD and will nto play together, plus a Wideman/Russell pairing is a bad idea defensively.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ I'd like to add that the Russell and Engelland pairing have had some good chemistry lately.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My new lineup:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Byron - Stajan - Jones/Seto
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Jones/Seto

- (These lines are assuming Johnny and Sam go to their respective leagues)
-Jones and Seto can battle it out for the 3rd line RW spot.

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland

- Obviously keep Mark and TJ together
- It's pretty clear that Wideman needs a defensive partner with him, Smid is the perfect guy.
- Russell/Engelland made chemistry already. They work well together.

Ramo
Hiller

- Ramo looks like he picked up where he left off with his strong play in the final games last year (excluding the last few where we sucked). I would imagine Hartley will implement the "you win, you play" idea again.

I know a lot of us would love to see Ferland/Granlund/Reinhart in action as well, but let's get them going right away in Adirondack, to get the playing time to further develop themselves.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Top 6 Dmen seem to be a lock at this point question becomes who stays Diaz or Brookebank (maybe a longer shot like Alcolatse) Id prefer Diaz although less consistent this team needs players who show flashes of becoming more.

Centre if Backlund is close for Game 1 should be Backlund Monahan Stajan with the 4th line spot open to Arnold, Knight, Reinhart, and Byron to fight over.

LW we have Glencross as a lock in the top 6 and Bouma as a lock in the bottom 6 (ideally 4th line).
RW we have Hudler as a lock in the top 6 and Bollig as a lock in the bottom 6 (ideally 4th line when McGratton sits)

So there should be 4 winger spots open to earn and with Raymond and Jones possibly injured to start the season inside track right now points to Sven, Seto, Colborne, Ferland, and Gaudreau.
Obviously id like to see Seto cut as he offers no upside if he isnt better now than these prospects and hasnt shown it while swearing to Hartley he's playing his heart out.

Once Raymond is back Johnny is the likely candidate to be sent down as Sven is finally showing a good camp after putting his time in the AHL and Colborne and Ferland both offer some size while we carry Hudler Byron and a <6' rookie

Id start with
Glencross-Backlund-Gaudreau
Sven-Stajan-Hudler
Ferland-Money-Colborne
Bouma-Byron-Bollig
McGratton

and when Raymond/Jones return send JG to Adk

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Ferland will be in the line-up opening night, and will remain there until Backlund is healthy. The guy has shown so much intensity, I think Burkliving have seen it too. I don't think Bennett will see his 9 games just yet.

Glencross - Stajan - Byron
Baertschi - Colborne - Setoguchi
Bollig/Ferland - Bouma - McGrattan

Jones will be waived.

When Backlund is back, the lines become;

Glencross - Stajan - Byron
Baertschi - Backlund - Colborne

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
My new lineup:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Byron - Stajan - Jones/Seto
Jones/Seto

- (These lines are assuming Johnny and Sam go to their respective leagues)
-Jones and Seto can battle it out for the 3rd line RW spot.

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland

- Obviously keep Mark and TJ together
- It's pretty clear that Wideman needs a defensive partner with him, Smid is the perfect guy.
- Russell/Engelland made chemistry already. They work well together.

Ramo
Hiller

- Ramo looks like he picked up where he left off with his strong play in the final games last year (excluding the last few where we sucked). I would imagine Hartley will implement the "you win, you play" idea again.

I know a lot of us would love to see Ferland/Granlund/Reinhart in action as well, but let's get them going right away in Adirondack, to get the playing time to further develop themselves.

I haven't had the chance to watch any preseason, but by all accounts, it sounds like Setogutchi would be best utilized as an emergency option in case of injury, if not kept off the roster entirely. I can appreciate the need for some experience to be infused in the lineup, but it just kinda sucks that the choice for that 3rd line RW spot seems to be between Seto and Jones, neither of whom I'm a very big fan of. Perhaps with Ferland's recent emergence we could bump Bollig up to the 3rd line, and have Byron split 4th line RW duties with Big Ern; Reinhart and Granlund as the first callups:

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Stajan-Bollig
Ferland-Bouma-Byron/McGrattan

*Reinhart/Granlund

The defence is obviously set in stone; not sure anymore who'd be an effective #7.. doesn't sound like Diaz has impressed much, and Tspoon would probably benefit from starting the year in Addy, though he is likely our next best option at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad