'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
That press box will be a revolving door, and ice time and roster spots will be a day by day decision. It's going to be about practices and results.

I can bet that what Burliving is trying to do is create competition in all positions, not just in goal.

Any winger can find themselves in the press box and replaced with many candidates. Centermen, not as much, and on defense there is some competition for the 4,5,6 Role.

Predicting lines let alone a roster on any given game will be anyone's guess. In August I can't realistically write anyone off, or predict who will make the team out of camp.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I disagree, I prefer Smid over Jones 8 days a week. Jones was just a body on the ice, he didn't do much.

The Smid - Wotherspoon pairing was one of the best chemistry pairings I've seen.

We didn't have Engelland then either, who IMO, is the better all round defender. To me you can't pass over the hard work that Granlund and Reinhart have put in, you reward it to set an example for the rest of the kids. I, for one, would be very disappointed if Sven got a shot over either of those two. Gaudreau is a wild card, he could step in and shine but I think Sven over Granlund/Reinhart sets a bad example.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Reinhart could possibly be ready to make the jump, but there's no need to rush Granlund. Give them both top line minutes in the AHL. Even Sven could use a full year in Adirondack as well.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Reinhart could possibly be ready to make the jump, but there's no need to rush Granlund. Give them both top line minutes in the AHL. Even Sven could use a full year in Adirondack as well.

Exactly, strong farm systems make great NHL teams. We're not just rebuilding the team, we're rebuilding fundamentals and identity based on hard work, which is probably more important than even wins right now.

To me, Sven is widely a one dimensional player, he can work on his 200' game but his meat and potatoes will always be point production. I'd let him develop in the AHL until he's setting the bar down there before he gets a shot on the Flames.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I'd love to see Reinhart be the 4th line center, but with Jones/Bouma and Gaudreau who will probably earn a roster spot, it will be difficult for him to make it... Same for Granlund

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Final go:

Hudler - Backlund - Raymond
Glencross - Monahan - Setoguchi
Gaudreau - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Bollig
McGrattan
Byron

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Cundari

Hiller
Ramo

Roster size: 23
Cap space: 15.1M

Best waiver exempt forwards who can work their way into the mix during the year: Bennett, Baertschi, Granlund, Reinhart, Knight, Arnold, Poirier, Hanowski, Agostino

Best waiver exempt defensemen who can work their way into the mix during the year: Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Kulak

I like this roster a lot. RW is kinda the weakness but i tried to put together the most balanced lines. Byron is easy to move into the lineup if someone struggles. All in all, its a complete lineup right now. No reason to rush the young guys who are waiver exempt. Make them work for those spots, its not that hard to sideline some of the guys who are in right now.

Feb 23, 2014
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Setoguchi
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Bollig
McGrattan
Byron

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Brookbank

Hiller
Ramo

I heard Trevling say they would try Colborne at center again and if Engelland and Bollig are dressed they still have two fighters available, which is important to BB.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Glencross,Backlund,Hudler
Raymond,Stajan,Setoguchi
Bart/Gaud,Monohan,Jones
Bouma,Colborne,Mcgratten
Bollig,Byron

Giordano,Brodie
Smid,Wideman
Russel,Engelland
Cundari,Potter

Hiller
Ramo

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I heard Trevling say they would try Colborne at center again

I sure hope not.
I don't see Colborne as a guy who should be centering a fourth line, he's got too slick a game for that. I thought him and Monny had really good chemistry last year.

Problem with Calgary, is that there is a ridiculous amount of lower end depth on this team. Kids like Reino, Johnny Hockey, Sven or Granlund might be ready for full-time NHL, are less likely to get it based on NHL contracts. Which is fine, there's no need to rush anyone on this team... But it'd really suck is someone like Reinhart out-performed the other LW's at camp, and yet was still sent down to Addy.

The lineup I think is likely:

Raymond - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Colborne - Monahan - Seto
Bollig - Bouma - Big Ern

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Brookbank - Potter

Although I wouldn't be overly surprised if Colborne went down to center the fourth line, and JG or Sven got his place on the line with Monny.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I heard Trevling say they would try Colborne at center again and if Engelland and Bollig are dressed they still have two fighters available, which is important to BB.
No, he said they could use him as a centre. He was talking about Colborne's versatility and the options he provides. I am willing to bet you don't see Colborne as a centre unless one of Backlund, Stajan or Monahan are out of the lineup.

Sep 13, 2009
We don't have a legit #1 line. The line-up I'd like to see based on balance/chemistry (subject to change) is:

Hudler Monahan Colborne
Raymond Backlund Setoguchi
Glencross Stajan Jones
Bollig Bouma McGrattan
xByron Wolf

Giordano Brodie
Smid Wideman
Russell Engelland
xBrookbank

Hiller
Ramo

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
We don't have a legit #1 line. The line-up I'd like to see based on balance/chemistry (subject to change) is:

Hudler Monahan Colborne
Raymond Backlund Setoguchi
Glencross Stajan Jones
Bollig Bouma McGrattan
xByron Wolf

Giordano Brodie
Smid Wideman
Russell Engelland
xBrookbank

Hiller
Ramo

If that is our opening night roster/line combo's I'd be happy.

I'm really excited to follow our AHL team this year too.

JG-Arnold-Poirier
Reinhart-Knight-Granlund as our top 6 is going to be fantastic.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would they really want to have Granlund playing his off wing? Especially the right wing? I see a Granlund/Knight/Arnold/Jooris as the centers in the AHL, in that order.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Would they really want to have Granlund playing his off wing? Especially the right wing? I see a Granlund/Knight/Arnold/Jooris as the centers in the AHL, in that order.

No, people aren't really giving Arnold his credit. At that level, he is the best center man we have, and knight is a close second, so no need burying Granlund on the 3rd line. Move him to the wing, either one.

And I left off Baertschi because I think he starts the year in the NHL.
Unfortunately it may be in the press box, because Hartley is going to ice his most capable roster on the opening night. That said, I don't think Bennett even gets one NHL game this year. He will play a few in the pre-season but will be sent to the OHL well before the season.

And if Poirier isn't ready at the start, Byron will play that top line spot in the AHL, and him and Sven will both share time between call ups.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Gaudreau - Arnold - Poirier
Granlund - Knight - Reinhart
Baertschi - Jooris - Ferland

That still leaves Hanowski, Agostino, Van Brabrant, and who knows who else will be signed. Solid top 9 though.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

That still leaves Hanowski, Agostino, Van Brabrant, and who knows who else will be signed. Solid top 9 though.

Suffice it to say, the A-Flames look to be one of the stronger teams in the AHL up front, at least on paper.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Calgary Flames
Glencross - Backlund - Setoguchi
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Hudler - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Byron - Bollig
Extra's: Wolf, McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Engelland - Russell
Extra's: Brookbank

Ramo/Hiller

Adirondack Flames
Agostino - ??? - Hanowski
Extra's: Elson, Van Brabrant

Cundari - Wotherspoon
Potter - Sieloff
Ramage - Acolatse
Extra: Kulak, Culkin

Ortio/Thiessen

Would have been nice to keep one of Street or Jones to finish up that center depth for the Baby Flames. Guessing Reinhart or Granlund move back to center.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I have no idea where to put this. I guess I'll post here.

Kingston Frontenacs ‏@KingstonFronts 33m
We had a few fans this weekend ask us 'where's Bennett?'. He's been training in Colorado with a guy you may have heard of.. Sidney Crosby

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm really excited about Bennett, I know he won't play this year but I think he's going to be an integral part of our team and a fan favourite for many years. I'm a big fan of his game and how he plays.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Jones
Gaudreau - Colborne - Seto
Bouma - Stajan - Bollig
McGrattan - Byron

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Engelland