'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Our trade thread sometimes gets taken over by our guessing of the starting lineup, so I think we should make a thread dedicated to what we think our 23 roster will be for the most part. And to avoid argument, give your reasoning on the acquisitions/recalls/line combos for the Flames. (Mods, please remove this if you think that we do not need another thread regarding this):

Forwards
Hudler - Backlund - Vrbata (PHX)

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne

Glencross - Stajan - M. Reinhart/D.Jones

Wolf - Bouma - McGrattan

Byron, D. Jones/M. Reinhart

Defense

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman/Greene (LAK)

Smid - Greene (LAK)/Wideman

Breen

Goaltending

Ramo

Greiss

Greene will be signed because we will over pay for him (maybe a 3.5m contract like Smid), and we could use his veteran leadership as well as playing top 4 minutes if we feel that Wideman can't play well with Russell. Hopefully Treliving can snag RWer Vrbata and G Greiss from Phoenix. Only downside to Vrbata is he is sort of a Lee Stempniak type player and is very, very streaky. Greiss would be a solid goaltender and can play starting minutes if Ramo gets injured again.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I like this roster more than a roster with 3 small rookie wingers, a rookie grinder, and a rookie dman.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Our trade thread sometimes gets taken over by our guessing of the starting lineup, so I think we should make a thread dedicated to what we think our 23 roster will be for the most part. And to avoid argument, give your reasoning on the acquisitions/recalls/line combos for the Flames. (Mods, please remove this if you think that we do not need another thread regarding this):

Forwards
Hudler - Backlund - Vrbata (PHX)

Glencross - Stajan - M. Reinhart/D.Jones

Wolf - Bouma - McGrattan

Byron, D. Jones/M. Reinhart

Defense

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman/Greene (LAK)

Smid - Greene (LAK)/Wideman

Breen

Goaltending

Ramo

Greiss

Greene will be signed because we will over pay for him (maybe a 3.5m contract like Smid), and we could use his veteran leadership as well as playing top 4 minutes if we feel that Wideman can't play well with Russell. Hopefully Treliving can snag RWer Vrbata and G Greiss from Phoenix. Only downside to Vrbata is he is sort of a Lee Stempniak type player and is very, very streaky. Greiss would be a solid goaltender and can play starting minutes if Ramo gets injured again.

As much as it seems likely that Cammy will leave I would still prefer

Forwards

Cammy-Backlund-Hudler

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne

Glencross-Stajan-Poirier

Byron-Bouma-Big Ern

Wolf will have to prove himself first before I put him on the team. I want to get rid of D Jones in the offseason, preferably for a 3rd rounder.

Defensemen

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Niskanen

Smid-Wideman

Niskanen could would only come here for a decent chunk of money, which would probably get us to cap floor after the loss of D Jones, plus he would work well with Russell.

Wideman's only current talent is to play a LOT of minutes. Which would be cool if he were not an offensive D-man producing very seldomly.

Goaltenders

Ramo-starter

Bryzgalov-Backup

Bryz showed that he could handle playoffs, not very well, but he can handle them. He's an experienced veteran and he gives the Flames some personality and he could make a decent back-up for Ramo.

I feel like Poirier could make a run for the roster this year, as he plays RW more often than Reinhart or Granlund, and I really want to get rid of D Jones (he's a lazy player who only shows up when the game is already a landslide loss, they probably won't get rid of him, though, because he's a big body)

Edit: Here's my capgeek http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/18402

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
As much as it seems likely that Cammy will leave I would still prefer

Forwards

Cammy-Backlund-Hudler

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne

Glencross-Stajan-Poirier

Byron-Bouma-Big Ern

Wolf will have to prove himself first before I put him on the team. I want to get rid of D Jones in the offseason, preferably for a 3rd rounder.

Defensemen

Gio-Brodie

Russell-Niskanen

Smid-Wideman

Niskanen could would only come here for a decent chunk of money, which would probably get us to cap floor after the loss of D Jones, plus he would work well with Russell.

Wideman's only current talent is to play a LOT of minutes. Which would be cool if he were not an offensive D-man producing very seldomly.

Goaltenders

Ramo-starter

Bryzgalov-Backup

Bryz showed that he could handle playoffs, not very well, but he can handle them. He's an experienced veteran and he gives the Flames some personality and he could make a decent back-up for Ramo.

I feel like Poirier could make a run for the roster this year, as he plays RW more often than Reinhart or Granlund, and I really want to get rid of D Jones (he's a lazy player who only shows up when the game is already a landslide loss, they probably won't get rid of him, though, because he's a big body)

Edit: Here's my capgeek http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/18402

I would really love to see Cammy back here next year.. Niskanen is a good candidate, though I'd really rather see Stone from PHX in there, I think he'd be a real good fit (would probably have to part with Hudler to get him).. REALLY like the idea of putting Poirier with Glenny and Stajan, that line would be giving other teams fits. In the event we acquired Stone in a deal sending Hudler the other way, here's what I'd like to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Cammalleri
Baertschi-Backlund-Colborne
Glencross-Stajan-Poirier
Byron-Bouma-McGrattan
Wolf/BVB/Westgarth(?)

(With Reinhart/Granlund as 1st callups)

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Smid
*Stone-Wideman

(Cundari/Wotherspoon as 1st callups)

Ramo
Ortio

(Screw going after another backup, just give these two the ball and let 'em run with it lol ;))

Edit: So I tried punching my roster in on CapGeek (minus the truculent trio and Cundari to get it down to 23 players), including my Stone trade, and it said I was 3 mil beneath the cap floor haha looks like I wouldn't be able to part with Hudler.. Still like those lines though :nod:

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't want to rush Ortio man.. Burke loves the potential in the guy and doesn't want to rush him either.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014/2015 Flames

FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Steve Downie ($3.500m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.500m)
Lance Bouma ($1.500m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Paul Byron ($1.200m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) / David Jones ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($5.500m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Mark Cundari ($0.860m)

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Chad Johnson ($0.925m)

BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.85% of upper limit)
Dennis Wideman ($1.313m—25.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,920,333; BONUSES: $2,306,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,496,667

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
This team in three words is young, competitive and big.

The forwards will run all four lines and be fine. The first line will score. I'd expect 40 points from Glencross assuming he stays healthy. Richards from LA probably won't be bought out but could easily be traded. He's a guy with high work ethic, some truculence, HATES losing, wins everywhere and a leader. Hudler is back to have some leadership. I'd like to see Hudler play a bit with Baertschi and take him under his wing like with Monahan. On the 2nd line Baertschi is back up and I'd expect over 30 points but mainly focus on defenceive game and with Backlund and Downie he should do that. Downie just makes us bigger. He can score, still young. 3rd line is wonderful. Gaudreau thrived at college thanks to a large part of his centre Billy Arnold was big, smart, great skilled. Now he's with Monahan who's big, smart and highly skilled. They did well in training camp. Now Colborne remains at RW because his numbers exponentially increased there, plus we need RWers and big ones. 4th line could be our 2nd or 1st line. Crash and bang with some skill all around. Bouma is a beast and can score around the net. Stajan will take on a higher leadership role and Byron is fast, plays like 6'3, skilled and sky high work ethic. Big Ern and Jones give us more grit. Reinhart would be the first callup with Granlund, Wolf, Arnold, Knight and BVB all being called up. Oh and forgot Poirier.

Now on the blue line we have the best squad in years.

Brodie and Giordano remain together because they were great. They'll both play around 23 min a night and in any situation. Smid and Orpik are very defencive. Orpik is high risk high reward signing but he's RH and physical. Smid had a great year and at his cap he should stay. Now we have Russell and McQuaid who'd play more offence. Both young. Russell is back after his career year. And McQuaid from Boston because they need to clear cap, McQuaid's the odd man out. RH, big and plays any role. Cundari showed truculence and has a great shot, great moving the puck to win his last two stints. Breen could also be here but Wotherspoon would be my first callup.

In net Karri Ramo earns the starting job. He played great this year and sign any UFA to back him up because he shouldn't rush Ortio. I chose Johnson because he did a great job in Boston.

The expectation is to get the 5th, 6th or 7th pick in the draft. Draft maybe Barzal, Zacha, Kylington if available or Konecy or Strome, all good. Werenski's another guy.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Man, this Capgeek Armchair GM feature is really cool.

So, basically the additions from outside the system are Komarov (UFA, Burke history), Sbisa (apparently in the Ducks' doghouse) and Backstrom (packaged with a sweetener pick/prospect). Also Hudler is traded somewhere for something.

It's not a playoff quality roster, to be sure. If Treliving is a man of bold moves the forward corps could look a lot different come training camp. And frankly, if it looks like this I'll be disappointed. I played around with some wilder acquisitions (ROR mainly) but it started to get somewhat unrealistic.

FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Max Reinhart ($0.618m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($0.660m)
Leo Komarov ($2.500m) / Paul Byron ($0.708m) / Lance Bouma ($0.635m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m)
Mark Cundari ($0.660m) /

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
All-Rookie roster:
Any player of the first line might be swaped for anything, free agent signing might be necessary to replace them
David Wolf and David Jones might trade places, depending on how they are doing.
Nikita Nikitin is a big and expensive signing but worth it IMO
Raphael Diaz is solid choice for 7th defenseman if he´s willing to sign at the right price. If not, explore other options
Greiss is a very solid option for the back-up position. However, I expect him to get more money somewhere else like with the Flyers
Edit: Forgot Bouma, Colbourne and Byron. Any of them could replace anyone of the 4th line/Wolf´s spot

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Curtis Glencross ($2.550m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Emile Poirier ($0.894m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / David Wolf ($0.868m)
Bryce Van Brabant ($0.913m) / Bill Arnold ($0.888m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)
David Jones ($4.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Nikita Nikitin ($4.900m)
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)/ Ladislav Smid ($3.500m)
Raphael Diaz ($0.965m) /
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.100m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,515,833; BONUSES: $2,813,750
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $20,584,167

Feb 23, 2014
Hudler-Backlund-Downie
Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne
Glencross-Stajan-Jones
Bouma-Granlund-McGrattan
Byron/Reinhart

Brodie-Gio
Russell-McQuaid
Smid-Wideman
Wotherspoon

Ramo
Gustavsson

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
My ideal lineup would be:
Hudler,Backlund,Vrbata
Glencross,Monohan,Colborne
Bart/Gaudreu,Stajan,Jones
Wolf,Bouma,Mcgratten

Gio,Brodie
Russel,Greene(LA)
Smid,Wideman
Wotherspoon

Ramo
Reimer

5by5

Apr 19, 2014
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.500m)
Paul Byron ($1.400m) / Markus Granlund ($0.768m) / Corban Knight ($0.900m)
Lance Bouma ($1.200m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / T.J. Brodie ($2.125m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Matt Niskanen or Orpik ($5.500m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Chris Butler ($2.400m)
Tyler Wotherspoon ($0.925m) /

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
James Reimer ($2.400m)
Joni Ortio ($1.200m)

BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)

RETAINED SALARIES (4.36% of upper limit) for 2014-2015 season only
Dennis Wideman ($2.100m—40.00%)
David Jones ($1.000m—25.00%)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,731,667; BONUSES: $4,388,750
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $4,368,333

Signed Cammy with possible intent to trade at 2014 and/or 2015 draft or 2015 trade deadline if either party desires. ... so if we trade Cammy for picks we still have approx 11 mill in cap space for next yrs UFA/RFA signings (Brodie, ...) and money for another quality RW forward. If we dont trade him, not so bad either, hes a useful quality vet. We cant let him walk for nothing, its bad Karma.

Signed, Bouma, Byron, Colborne, Butler, Ortio - 2-3 yrs max

UFA signings: Statsny, Vrbata, Niskanen or Orpik, Reimer ... perhaps ROR if Statsny not available.

Traded Stajan, Wideman, Jones + 3.1 mill in salary retention to Phoenix for Yandle. This package should be able to land a good YOUNG 1-4 defenceman somewhere if Yandle's not available. Toronto's Reilly? Ideas?
I am aware of the trade clauses, but we gotta get rid of em somehow/sowewhere. Phoenix just seems feasible for all parties.
Bowmeister @ 5mill sure looks good now, ALWAYS DID even @ 6.5 mill. (Another Feister screw up, not to mention Bartkowski)

Traded Russell or Butler for Reimer's rights (only if he wants to sign here)

We need another season to see what we have in the farm system and this yrs #4 pic. We should know much better what we have in: Reinhart, Granlund, Knight, Sven, Agostino, Wotherspoon, JG, Porrier, #4 ... by then.

Assuming Cammy, Statsny, Vrbata, Orpik/Niskanen want to play here long term and barring All the usual things like, catastrauphic year ending injuries, sophomore slumps, bad goaltending, ... this team makes the playoffs next year.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.500m)
Paul Byron ($1.400m) / Markus Granlund ($0.768m) / Corban Knight ($0.900m)
Lance Bouma ($1.200m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / T.J. Brodie ($2.125m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Matt Niskanen or Orpik ($5.500m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Chris Butler ($2.400m)
Tyler Wotherspoon ($0.925m) /

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
James Reimer ($2.400m)
Joni Ortio ($1.200m)

BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)

RETAINED SALARIES (4.36% of upper limit) for 2014-2015 season only
Dennis Wideman ($2.100m—40.00%)
David Jones ($1.000m—25.00%)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,731,667; BONUSES: $4,388,750
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $4,368,333

Signed Cammy with possible intent to trade at 2014 and/or 2015 draft or 2015 trade deadline if either party desires. ... so if we trade Cammy for picks we still have approx 11 mill in cap space for next yrs UFA/RFA signings (Brodie, ...) and money for another quality RW forward. If we dont trade him, not so bad either, hes a useful quality vet. We cant let him walk for nothing, its bad Karma.

Signed, Bouma, Byron, Colborne, Butler, Ortio - 2-3 yrs max

UFA signings: Statsny, Vrbata, Niskanen or Orpik, Reimer ... perhaps ROR if Statsny not available.

Traded Stajan, Wideman, Jones + 3.1 mill in salary retention to Phoenix for Yandle. This package should be able to land a good YOUNG 1-4 defenceman somewhere if Yandle's not available. Toronto's Reilly? Ideas?
I am aware of the trade clauses, but we gotta get rid of em somehow/sowewhere. Phoenix just seems feasible for all parties.
Bowmeister @ 5mill sure looks good now, ALWAYS DID even @ 6.5 mill. (Another Feister screw up, not to mention Bartkowski)

Traded Russell or Butler for Reimer's rights (only if he wants to sign here)

We need another season to see what we have in the farm system and this yrs #4 pic. We should know much better what we have in: Reinhart, Granlund, Knight, Sven, Agostino, Wotherspoon, JG, Porrier, #4 ... by then.

Assuming Cammy, Statsny, Vrbata, Orpik/Niskanen want to play here long term and barring All the usual things like, catastrauphic year ending injuries, sophomore slumps, bad goaltending, ... this team makes the playoffs next year.

Why the hell would we give up ANYTHING for a goalie when we couls get one in Free Agency? Russell is way, way more important to this team than having Reimer as a backup, especially with the damaged good he's bringing from the worst place to play hockey in the NHL. Also, Bouma should be a for-sure on line the fourth line with Granlund playing in Adirondack. I think Knight should stay up with the team.this year, even if only for practicing with the big league.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Baertschi - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Reinhart - McGrattan

Extras: Byron, Wolf.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Butler - Wideman

Extras: O' Brien

Ramo
Greiss​

I don't believe the Flames will add anyone significant, instead opting to let the kids fill those roles. More will be on this roster by seasons end. Greiss is my guess for backup although not who I want.

The one additional surprise could be one of: Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or Draisaitl.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@5by5

Not to beat up on your first post but You have us getting four of the more sought after free agents and a trade for a defenseman that not only would Phoenix laugh and hang up on, 28 other teams in the league would offer better.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Re-signed Cammalleri.
Signed Callahan, as I really think Calgary will be in the running.
Signed Heatley. Yes, seriously. A change of scenery could help him, and he brings a bit of size. If he plays like ****, we bury him. If he turns it around a bit, deal him at the deadline.
Signed Leo Komarov. I think he'll sign in Toronto or here.
Signed Niskanen.

Gaudreau will likely get his 9 games, but I think he should play a year in the AHL. Reinhart, Knight, Poirier, and Gaudreau will all be in line for when injuries hit.

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.500m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.275m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Dany Heatley ($2.000m)
David Wolf ($0.868m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.000m)
Leo Komarov ($2.500m) / Paul Byron ($1.200m) / Lance Bouma ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.000m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Chris Butler ($2.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.250m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,762,500; BONUSES: $907,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,337,500

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Re-signed Cammalleri.
Signed Callahan, as I really think Calgary will be in the running.
Signed Heatley. Yes, seriously. A change of scenery could help him, and he brings a bit of size. If he plays like ****, we bury him. If he turns it around a bit, deal him at the deadline.
Signed Leo Komarov. I think he'll sign in Toronto or here.
Signed Niskanen.

Gaudreau will likely get his 9 games, but I think he should play a year in the AHL. Reinhart, Knight, Poirier, and Gaudreau will all be in line for when injuries hit.

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.500m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.275m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Dany Heatley ($2.000m)
David Wolf ($0.868m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.000m)
Leo Komarov ($2.500m) / Paul Byron ($1.200m) / Lance Bouma ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.000m)
Kris Russell ($2.600m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Chris Butler ($2.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.250m)
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,762,500; BONUSES: $907,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,337,500

Gaudreau can play as many or as few games as the Flames like, he's not held to the 9 game rule of the CHL. Also, why Wolf instead of Baertschi with Monahan.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Another Offseason thread

I know there are lots of offseason thread but today I was to lazy to look for it so I starting another. If needed Moderator please combine it with the other offseason thread.

This season I have not watch a full game and have not seen a lot of our prospects play in big league to really access how well they have played on the team. The biggest hole we have on the team right now is that Cammy is a UFA and possible may not resign with the Flames due to that he may want to play for a team with a better chance of winning the cup. If that were to happen who do the Flames go after to replace him. If he stays who plays with him and who will make up our second and third line center. We are in a tough division and need to work on defense as we showed that we can score. Do we go and look for a dman or use what we have in our prospect pool. I know I hear consistently trade Gio, Wideman, or Hudler as their stock are high at this point and they can give us a big return. I feel if we do that we set our team back another year. I would like for goalies to be Ramo, Ortio, McDonald. Ortio and McDonald will battle for backup and the better of the two will consistently be the backup. What do you think the Flames need to realistically need to do to be able to have a shot at the playoff.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know there are lots of offseason thread but today I was to lazy to look for it so I starting another. If needed Moderator please combine it with the other offseason thread.

This season I have not watch a full game and have not seen a lot of our prospects play in big league to really access how well they have played on the team. The biggest hole we have on the team right now is that Cammy is a UFA and possible may not resign with the Flames due to that he may want to play for a team with a better chance of winning the cup. If that were to happen who do the Flames go after to replace him. If he stays who plays with him and who will make up our second and third line center. We are in a tough division and need to work on defense as we showed that we can score. Do we go and look for a dman or use what we have in our prospect pool. I know I hear consistently trade Gio, Wideman, or Hudler as their stock are high at this point and they can give us a big return. I feel if we do that we set our team back another year. I would like for goalies to be Ramo, Ortio, McDonald. Ortio and McDonald will battle for backup and the better of the two will consistently be the backup. What do you think the Flames need to realistically need to do to be able to have a shot at the playoff.

Really just continuing this discussion. Do the Flames really need to replace Cammy if he leaves? Their record last year without him suggests not.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
I don't see how Wolf is guaranteed a roster spot. He likely maxes out as a 10 point player with 100 PIMs. Really hope he doesn't play on the 3rd line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd let Baertschi start in the AHL. He'll likely be called up midway.

No decisions should really be made until training camp. Baertschi has coasted in camps since his cup of coffee as an 18-year-old. If he shows up and works hard this summer at dev. camp and main training camp and earns a spot, we absolutely shouldn't hold him off the squad, as it would send a bad message IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad